Skip to content

The Black Keys

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
30 9 980
  • I don't agree

  • @westside-steve said:

    Oh well. Not to mention the fact that the term garage is a euphemism for shitty but I could care less they recorded in a warehouse.

    (and blues based usually means three chords a lot of 7 notes)

    And so what if they are two guys? I think we know what modern recording technique is capable of. Listen to Todd Rundgren. That's only one guy.

    But personal taste is personal taste. I think they suck.

    WSS

    By saying they suck you mean "they don't fit my personal taste". I mean, its like tall women. They don't suit your personal taste. You like short women But that does not mean that tall women are not highly fuckable for the rest of us.

    @the-gipper said:

    By saying they suck you mean "they don't fit my personal taste". I mean, its like tall women. They don't suit your personal taste. You like short women But that does not mean that tall women are not highly fuckable for the rest of us.

    Not exactly what I said. In music categorization vernacular garage or grunge means shitty or without polish ie sucks.

    Blues means something else.

    Perhaps you've heard my theory anyway and that is if a kid has the headphones on listening to Guns and Roses and the music is moving him it is no more or less valid than anything Beethoven ever did.

    Make sense?

    And to clarify gipper read the sentence just before the one where I said I think they suck.

    WSS

  • Kinda like Chuck Berry. I don't like him, I think most of his songs are rudimentary and derivative.

    Some people think he's great.

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    By saying they suck you mean "they don't fit my personal taste". I mean, its like tall women. They don't suit your personal taste. You like short women But that does not mean that tall women are not highly fuckable for the rest of us.

    Not exactly what I said. In music categorization vernacular garage or grunge means shitty or without polish ie sucks.

    Blues means something else.

    Perhaps you've heard my theory anyway and that is if a kid has the headphones on listening to Guns and Roses and the music is moving him it is no more or less valid than anything Beethoven ever did.

    Make sense?

    And to clarify gipper read the sentence just before the one where I said I think they suck.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Not exactly what I said. In music categorization vernacular garage or grunge means shitty or without polish ie sucks.

    Blues means something else.

    Perhaps you've heard my theory anyway and that is if a kid has the headphones on listening to Guns and Roses and the music is moving him it is no more or less valid than anything Beethoven ever did.

    Make sense?

    And to clarify gipper read the sentence just before the one where I said I think they suck.

    WSS

    You said "what a load of shit". How is that illuminative?

  • Kinda like Chuck Berry. I don't like him, I think most of his songs are rudimentary and derivative.

    Some people think he's great.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Kinda like Chuck Berry. I don't like him, I think most of his songs are rudimentary and derivative.

    Some people think he's great.

    WSS

    I don't see how "rudimentary" is disparaging. Simple and pure may in fact be the best compliment one can make. And there is no music out there really that isn't derivative, fair to say?

  • Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.

    but...

    If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.

    Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.

    And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.

    For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.

    WSS

  • Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.

    but...

    If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.

    Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.

    And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.

    For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.

    but...

    If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.

    Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.

    And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.

    For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.

    WSS

    But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.

    but...

    If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.

    Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.

    And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.

    For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.

    WSS

    But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.

    @the-gipper said:

    But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.

    yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.

    yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...

    WSS

    Actually, I was referring to The Button Box Band.

  • I think the Black Keys are OK. they are not great by any means. IMO

    But then again, I think Aerosmith is the WORST band of all time, but a lot of people love them.

  • Yeah I despise Aerosmith

  • I really like Aerosmith:

  • I especially hate early aerosmith

  • I don't agree

  • That's cool. They suck though. I hate Stephen Tyler

  • I went to a concert in 1988? It was Aerosmith with Guns and Roses as the opening act.

    We left 2 songs into Aerosmith's set

    Steven Tyler can't sing live

  • For that mater Guns N Roses puke set up a lot worse than Aerosmith. In my opinion. As always.

    WSS

  • For that mater Guns N Roses puke set up a lot worse than Aerosmith. In my opinion. As always.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    For that mater Guns N Roses puke set up a lot worse than Aerosmith. In my opinion. As always.

    WSS

    The concert I saw GNR was WAY better then aerosmith

    The music was tight and Axl was a 1000% better singer then tyler

    but that was in 1988 when GNR started and aerosmith was washed up

  • I really like GnR and The Black Keys. I really really don't like Aerosmith.

  • I like the earlier Aerosmith.. they were just more organic back in the day... Joe Perry sounded better too...