Skip to content

The Black Keys

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
30 9 980
  • Kinda like Chuck Berry. I don't like him, I think most of his songs are rudimentary and derivative.

    Some people think he's great.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Kinda like Chuck Berry. I don't like him, I think most of his songs are rudimentary and derivative.

    Some people think he's great.

    WSS

    I don't see how "rudimentary" is disparaging. Simple and pure may in fact be the best compliment one can make. And there is no music out there really that isn't derivative, fair to say?

  • Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.

    but...

    If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.

    Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.

    And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.

    For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.

    WSS

  • Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.

    but...

    If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.

    Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.

    And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.

    For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.

    but...

    If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.

    Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.

    And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.

    For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.

    WSS

    But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.

  • @westside-steve said:

    Yer correct Gipper. I think it's a load of shit, can't stand to listen to it.

    but...

    If that music or Chuck Berry's music or any other music brings happiness to your soul then great. Don't know what you guys want me to say.

    Derivative in the sense that he is credited with creating a new sound in rock music but swiped many of the signature licks from t-bone Walker.

    And yes all music is derivative of something in some way or another. Nothing is created from a vacuum.

    For that matter I'm not a big fan of Elvis Presley or Johnny Cash either.

    WSS

    But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.

    @the-gipper said:

    But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.

    yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...

    WSS

  • @the-gipper said:

    But, of course, the best band of all....you know who....were also highly derivative.

    yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    yes. No matter which one you refer to; Tommy Dorseys band, The Beatles the Cleveland Orchestra Easy Street...

    WSS

    Actually, I was referring to The Button Box Band.

  • I think the Black Keys are OK. they are not great by any means. IMO

    But then again, I think Aerosmith is the WORST band of all time, but a lot of people love them.

  • Yeah I despise Aerosmith

  • I really like Aerosmith:

  • I especially hate early aerosmith

  • I don't agree

  • That's cool. They suck though. I hate Stephen Tyler

  • I went to a concert in 1988? It was Aerosmith with Guns and Roses as the opening act.

    We left 2 songs into Aerosmith's set

    Steven Tyler can't sing live

  • For that mater Guns N Roses puke set up a lot worse than Aerosmith. In my opinion. As always.

    WSS

  • For that mater Guns N Roses puke set up a lot worse than Aerosmith. In my opinion. As always.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    For that mater Guns N Roses puke set up a lot worse than Aerosmith. In my opinion. As always.

    WSS

    The concert I saw GNR was WAY better then aerosmith

    The music was tight and Axl was a 1000% better singer then tyler

    but that was in 1988 when GNR started and aerosmith was washed up

  • I really like GnR and The Black Keys. I really really don't like Aerosmith.

  • I like the earlier Aerosmith.. they were just more organic back in the day... Joe Perry sounded better too...

  • I like Santa Claus. He was the first rock star.

  • I think the Keys are uneven... Some of Auerbachs' stuff is just brilliant while other, often the next track, is just meh...

    I have three CDs (Rubber Factory, Brothers and El Camino) and could easily whittle them to one very full disc. Mostly it'd be their stripped down, two-man efforts like...

    But then I'm a known "homer". Be it a group from Akron or a QB from Lakewood, that's all it takes to win me over...