Skip to content

Gilbert - "I wasn't trying hard enough"

The Browns Board
36 18 1.4k
  • you guys are hilarious.

    why don't you hate on the #22 pick. there's where we should have picked a WR. farmer is a defensive guy as pettine. the pick of gilbert was no surprise to me. as far as him holding out......every player thru their agent does that nowadays.

    did he miss TC or something?

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @miktoxic said:

    you guys are hilarious.

    why don't you hate on the #22 pick. there's where we should have picked a WR. farmer is a defensive guy as pettine. the pick of gilbert was no surprise to me. as far as him holding out......every player thru their agent does that nowadays.

    did he miss TC or something?

    I can't disagree with you. I was shocked they took JF given they went CB with the first. But I'm gonna stop before I start talking about the possiblity of having JF and Watkins in the same draft. I've been accused of having a hard on for Watkins, not entirely true....but throw JF in there and i might have to think about it. God that would ahve been an epic draft. If Hoyer had flat lined we could have had JF starting right around the time JG came back and Watkins would have had his ice bath blanket party for cumming in his pants before he crossed the goal line.

  • JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Maybe I'm just an OMF, but I don't recall any issues with getting Gilbert signed.

    Did I miss that ?

  • you guys are hilarious.

    why don't you hate on the #22 pick. there's where we should have picked a WR. farmer is a defensive guy as pettine. the pick of gilbert was no surprise to me. as far as him holding out......every player thru their agent does that nowadays.

    did he miss TC or something?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @miktoxic said:

    did he miss TC or something?

    No... while he was the last of our picks to sign, he signed on rookie reporting day...

    Hold outs just aren't what they used to be.

  • It took our coaching staff how many weeks to tell him he was dogging it in practice? Parcells probably would have had this discussion with the young man by Friday of the first week of training camp. This sounds like a little PR stunt from the Browns so fans get off Gilberts case. Which they have anyway. Why? Cause he's playing better. That's how you get fans to shut up.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #18

    @clevfan4life said:

    It took our coaching staff how many weeks to tell him he was dogging it in practice? Parcells probably would have had this discussion with the young man by Friday of the first week of training camp. This sounds like a little PR stunt from the Browns so fans get off Gilberts case. Which they have anyway. Why? Cause he's playing better. That's how you get fans to shut up.

    Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

  • C calfoxwc wrote on last edited by
    #19

    When they aren't used to watching hours of video etc...

    they realize that their talent isn't going to be superior enough

    to get it done.

    Big leagues, everybody was a terrific college player in the pros.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    It took our coaching staff how many weeks to tell him he was dogging it in practice? Parcells probably would have had this discussion with the young man by Friday of the first week of training camp. This sounds like a little PR stunt from the Browns so fans get off Gilberts case. Which they have anyway. Why? Cause he's playing better. That's how you get fans to shut up.

    Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

    ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by Manzier
    #20

    @hoorta said:

    Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

    Agreed. And in addition to your points, a lot of high picks(1st rounders) kinda feel special and a little entitled. Most assume they will be instant starters, and eventually, all pro millionaires. And a lot of teams bow to this and kiss their asses or bow to public pressure and play em just to justify the pick and please everyone.

    MAD PROPS to Pettine AND Farmer for sitting the 2 highest picks, while playing UDFA's in their place. Wakes both the "entitled" kiddies up AND shows the FO has BIG BALLS and doesn't bow to media pressure like 1/2 the teams in the league do.

    Plain and simple. Pettine aint no Shurmur/Chud pusscake and he doesn't kiss anyones ass. If you dont work hard and perform, you dont play. Period. Ask Gilbert, West & Manziel.

    Some like to bitch, but I think Pettine has it right and is handling ALL these guys the right way.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #21

    whiners and hoes.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    It took our coaching staff how many weeks to tell him he was dogging it in practice? Parcells probably would have had this discussion with the young man by Friday of the first week of training camp. This sounds like a little PR stunt from the Browns so fans get off Gilberts case. Which they have anyway. Why? Cause he's playing better. That's how you get fans to shut up.

    Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @hoorta said:

    Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

    I have most certainly not labeled Gilbert a bust and I am admitting his play has improved, so not sure where you're coming from. If it comes from my other thread about Watkins I never said Gilbert wasn't showing improvement, but that up to now the production from the two isn't even comparable...which it isn't and nobody can debate that. My post in this thread was not bashing Gilbert either, I was more annoyed with the coaching staff that took 8 weeks to tell a rookie he wasn't practicing hard enough...."IF" that story is even true which I don't believe it to be.

  • D Dste Ace wrote on last edited by
    #23

    I daresay there might just be a little more to it than "he's trying harder". It's about learning to be

    a professional. Learning how to prepare. Watching film until you're sick of it. Then watching even

    more film. Yes, he's big and can run really fast. So can everyone else in the NFL. Wasn't it Couch who

    said that in college you face 2 or 3 guys who will really hit you hard. In the NFL, everyone hits you hard.

    When Vinnie Interceptaverdi came to Cleveland, the qb coach was appalled that he didn't know how to

    break down game film. He watched it like a fan watches a game. In Jerry Rice's rookie season he dropped

    balls, ran the wrong routes, etc.

    It's a process. Learning how to become a professional. Not everyone gets it right off the bat.

    Gilbert most likely meant "I wasn't working hard enough. I wasn't focusing enough". Whatever.

    His play has noticeably improved. He looks like he's getting better. Are we really bitching because

    it took a little longer for it to sink in?

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Looking fwd to watching another good game from him.....I dig defense and he is getting there.....

    If and when he gets up to full speed, the combination of 2 solid CB's will take our entire D to the next level....

  • @hoorta said:

    Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

    Agreed. And in addition to your points, a lot of high picks(1st rounders) kinda feel special and a little entitled. Most assume they will be instant starters, and eventually, all pro millionaires. And a lot of teams bow to this and kiss their asses or bow to public pressure and play em just to justify the pick and please everyone.

    MAD PROPS to Pettine AND Farmer for sitting the 2 highest picks, while playing UDFA's in their place. Wakes both the "entitled" kiddies up AND shows the FO has BIG BALLS and doesn't bow to media pressure like 1/2 the teams in the league do.

    Plain and simple. Pettine aint no Shurmur/Chud pusscake and he doesn't kiss anyones ass. If you dont work hard and perform, you dont play. Period. Ask Gilbert, West & Manziel.

    Some like to bitch, but I think Pettine has it right and is handling ALL these guys the right way.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @manzier said:

    And in addition to your points, a lot of high picks(1st rounders) kinda feel special and a little entitled.

    @dste-ace said:

    I daresay there might just be a little more to it than "he's trying harder". It's about learning to be

    a professional. Learning how to prepare.

    Nothing I have seen in any interview with Gilbert suggests "entitlement". DA's case rings truer with me, but I would put it slightly different.

    I think it's a case of Gilbert having to learn how to practice.

    Just as highly intelligent students often fail to develop good study habits, outstanding natural athletes often fail to develop sound practice habits.

  • @manzier said:

    And in addition to your points, a lot of high picks(1st rounders) kinda feel special and a little entitled.

    @dste-ace said:

    I daresay there might just be a little more to it than "he's trying harder". It's about learning to be

    a professional. Learning how to prepare.

    Nothing I have seen in any interview with Gilbert suggests "entitlement". DA's case rings truer with me, but I would put it slightly different.

    I think it's a case of Gilbert having to learn how to practice.

    Just as highly intelligent students often fail to develop good study habits, outstanding natural athletes often fail to develop sound practice habits.

    ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @tour2ma said:

    Nothing I have seen in any interview with Gilbert suggests "entitlement"

    .

    Ok maybe not the best word to describe Gilbert specifically, but more as a general description for high first rounders. I would guess that "most" think they will be starting, as they always have started and the team has just made a large investment in them. So their high confidence, coupled with their high draft pick status, might make then feel like they are destined to start and succeed, based solely on the fact that they always have in the past. THEN they get a rude wake up call and realize everyone is as talented and the ones that work hardest are the ones that succeed. So, yeah, I think they feel a little entitled, but not in a cocky snobbish way, but more of a naive way.

  • @hoorta said:

    Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

    I have most certainly not labeled Gilbert a bust and I am admitting his play has improved, so not sure where you're coming from. If it comes from my other thread about Watkins I never said Gilbert wasn't showing improvement, but that up to now the production from the two isn't even comparable...which it isn't and nobody can debate that. My post in this thread was not bashing Gilbert either, I was more annoyed with the coaching staff that took 8 weeks to tell a rookie he wasn't practicing hard enough...."IF" that story is even true which I don't believe it to be.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #27

    @clevfan4life said:

    I have most certainly not labeled Gilbert a bust and I am admitting his play has improved, so not sure where you're coming from. If it comes from my other thread about Watkins I never said Gilbert wasn't showing improvement, but that up to now the production from the two isn't even comparable...which it isn't and nobody can debate that. My post in this thread was not bashing Gilbert either, I was more annoyed with the coaching staff that took 8 weeks to tell a rookie he wasn't practicing hard enough...."IF" that story is even true which I don't believe it to be.

    That wasn't directed at you- and you should know who it is directed against. DUH. It's directed against some guy who thinks every first round draft pick should come in and play at a pro bowl level from day one, or they're a "bust". .

    MHO is Gilbert played OK today- not great- but good enough. The doofus-es who are bashing him don't realize he has a couple things Haden and Skrine don't have- he's taller than either and has better track speed.

  • F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
    #28

    He still has a long way to go. I'm not seeing consistent play from him. He gave up a TD last week giving too much room and being late reacting to the quick sideline pass. Today he was easily fooled on a double move (was also injured on the play). He's got a lot of potential but right now, he's tyre biggest disappointment of the draft.

  • @hoorta said:

    Nah- there's another broken record idiot poster that's already labeled Gilbert a bust, and won't even admit his play has improved. What Justin found out is what- say 80% of rookies find out in the NFL- supreme athletic is good enough in college- but it isn't good enough to get you by in the NFL- because 95%+ of the competition has supreme athletic talent.

    Agreed. And in addition to your points, a lot of high picks(1st rounders) kinda feel special and a little entitled. Most assume they will be instant starters, and eventually, all pro millionaires. And a lot of teams bow to this and kiss their asses or bow to public pressure and play em just to justify the pick and please everyone.

    MAD PROPS to Pettine AND Farmer for sitting the 2 highest picks, while playing UDFA's in their place. Wakes both the "entitled" kiddies up AND shows the FO has BIG BALLS and doesn't bow to media pressure like 1/2 the teams in the league do.

    Plain and simple. Pettine aint no Shurmur/Chud pusscake and he doesn't kiss anyones ass. If you dont work hard and perform, you dont play. Period. Ask Gilbert, West & Manziel.

    Some like to bitch, but I think Pettine has it right and is handling ALL these guys the right way.

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @manzier said:

    Plain and simple. Pettine aint no Shurmur/Chud pusscake and he doesn't kiss anyones ass. If you dont work hard and perform, you dont play. Period. Ask Gilbert, West & Manziel.

    Some like to bitch, but I think Pettine has it right and is handling ALL these guys the right way.

    Why are you lumping Chudzinski into the pusscakes category of coaches? I thought he was alright. Whoever made the call to bump Hoyer a string up and start last year, that was a ballsy call.

    Shurmer was about as uninspiring as toast.

  • @manzier said:

    Plain and simple. Pettine aint no Shurmur/Chud pusscake and he doesn't kiss anyones ass. If you dont work hard and perform, you dont play. Period. Ask Gilbert, West & Manziel.

    Some like to bitch, but I think Pettine has it right and is handling ALL these guys the right way.

    Why are you lumping Chudzinski into the pusscakes category of coaches? I thought he was alright. Whoever made the call to bump Hoyer a string up and start last year, that was a ballsy call.

    Shurmer was about as uninspiring as toast.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @ibleedbrown said:

    Shurmer was about as uninspiring as toast.

    I see no need to insult toast...

    Waitin' on an injury update. If Gilbert misses any time due to concussion protocol, that'll concern me. That hit with Whitner did not look that violent.

    Easy to say siting on the couch I know, but upon a time in HS a dude hit me so hard that it ripped a chunk out of my helmet where the chin strap snap anchored... I just went to the storage room and got a new one.

  • @ibleedbrown said:

    Shurmer was about as uninspiring as toast.

    I see no need to insult toast...

    Waitin' on an injury update. If Gilbert misses any time due to concussion protocol, that'll concern me. That hit with Whitner did not look that violent.

    Easy to say siting on the couch I know, but upon a time in HS a dude hit me so hard that it ripped a chunk out of my helmet where the chin strap snap anchored... I just went to the storage room and got a new one.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @tour2ma said:

    I see no need to insult toast...

    Waitin' on an injury update. If Gilbert misses any time due to concussion protocol, that'll concern me. That hit with Whitner did not look that violent.

    Easy to say siting on the couch I know, but upon a time in HS a dude hit me so hard that it ripped a chunk out of my helmet where the chin strap snap anchored... I just went to the storage room and got a new one.

    That was right along my line of thinking. I once took a nasty crack back, I mean a total unexpected decleating hit - jumped up and jogged

    It off.

  • DownSouthKCD DownSouthKC wrote on last edited by
    #32

    ManzielSucks said:

    How do you not try hard enough? This is the NFL and you are a first round pick... Those aren't motivators?!?!

    I agree but also think that they could be demotivators. The " I already made it." "I'm good enough" "i was a top 10 pick I work hard enough" Attitude could creep in.

  • C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
    #33

    The hit Gilbert took was right on the "button" from Whitners shoulder. It didn't look bad but the second I saw the replay I knew it was a flash knockout. If you guys see the replay watch how Gilberts head does a quick sideways snap. Brain rattle. No big deal, happens to fighters "all" the time even when sparring with gear.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #34

    I assume "brain rattle" is boxing talk for "minor concussion"...

    Saw the neck bend you mention (even speculated neck injury at the time in the Tavern), but blow was high on side of helmet and maybe half "glancing", so I was surprised it put him out.