Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. Most important position VS least

Most important position VS least

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
15 Posts 7 Posters 489 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Manzier ManzierM
    • 853 Posts
    • 125 Reputation
    ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Im sure we all have opinions on the most important and the least important positions on the field. And, as a team sport, we can all agree that EVERY position is important at some level. But I have spent a good bit of time researching opinions and position rankings and came up with some thoughts and some good reads.

    My interest is primarily due to all the WR talk and personal opinion is that WR is wayyyyy low on the list. Bottom line is touches and WR's can only directly affect a few plays a game(outside of being decoys).

    Here's a link to an article that I agree pretty strongly with. They are saying the top 4 positions that have the greatest impact are:

    http://www.operationsports.com/Brendan%20Darr/blog/21263-the-most-important-positions-in-football

    #4 Nose Tackle: yep. we drafted Mr. Taylor in the first round.

    #3 Corner Back: whoops. Looks like the Browns got it right again. We drafted BOTH of ours first round again-(priorities priorities)

    #2 Quarter Back: yep. I think we just drafted one ala First round.

    #1 Left Tackle: oh my, we only have the best one there is.

    So, basically, just sayin we are heading in the right direction, no matter what the Buffatrolls say.

    The least important? Thats a tough one, but the consensus seems to lean toward outside LB and DE as the 2 that make the least impact over a whole game or season. Odd, cause thats where we seem weakest right now.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
      • 30k Posts
      • 6k Reputation
      Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
      #2

      First, love "Buffatrolls"... well done.

      Second, initial reaction is shock that MLB/ ILB does not crack the top 4.

      "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
      ManzierM 1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • Tour2maT Tour2ma

        First, love "Buffatrolls"... well done.

        Second, initial reaction is shock that MLB/ ILB does not crack the top 4.

        Manzier ManzierM
        • 853 Posts
        • 125 Reputation
        ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
        #3

        @tour2ma said:

        First, love "Buffatrolls"... well done.

        Second, initial reaction is shock that MLB/ ILB does not crack the top 4.

        I found several lists and they all favored inside vs outside.

        Meaning interior DEF linemen were rated higher than DE's. And ILB were rated WAY higher than OLB's.

        I suspect just being in the middle gets you more opportunities to make a difference on every play. And being outside leaves you standing on the fringe for a lot of plays. .

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • gftChris gftChrisG
          • 13k Posts
          • 428 Reputation
          gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Shock that pass rusher doesn't make the list, and shock that NT does.

          It strikes me as trying to be a bit too cute - like the NT, needs to clog up lanes, command double teams etc to allow the other players to go and make a play. Well, if the other players are rubbish, then you get nothing. They work in tandem. And the LT is extremely important, because he keeps your QB upright - meaning that your QB is more important.

          My house is more important than my insurance.

          ManzierM 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • gftChrisG gftChris

            Shock that pass rusher doesn't make the list, and shock that NT does.

            It strikes me as trying to be a bit too cute - like the NT, needs to clog up lanes, command double teams etc to allow the other players to go and make a play. Well, if the other players are rubbish, then you get nothing. They work in tandem. And the LT is extremely important, because he keeps your QB upright - meaning that your QB is more important.

            My house is more important than my insurance.

            Manzier ManzierM
            • 853 Posts
            • 125 Reputation
            ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
            #5

            @gftchris said:

            Shock that pass rusher doesn't make the list, and shock that NT does.

            It strikes me as trying to be a bit too cute - like the NT, needs to clog up lanes, command double teams etc to allow the other players to go and make a play. Well, if the other players are rubbish, then you get nothing. They work in tandem. And the LT is extremely important, because he keeps your QB upright - meaning that your QB is more important.

            My house is more important than my insurance.

            I dont question that QB is the most important position either. How could it not be? So your point makes sense to me.

            Reading between the lines, I do think it may be harder to actually score an elite LT than it is to score an elite QB. There's an argument there, as I can count more franchise QB's than I can count elite left tackles(I think).

            It does seem like the top LT and QB are always the first players drafted

            gftChrisG 1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • ManzierM Manzier

              @gftchris said:

              Shock that pass rusher doesn't make the list, and shock that NT does.

              It strikes me as trying to be a bit too cute - like the NT, needs to clog up lanes, command double teams etc to allow the other players to go and make a play. Well, if the other players are rubbish, then you get nothing. They work in tandem. And the LT is extremely important, because he keeps your QB upright - meaning that your QB is more important.

              My house is more important than my insurance.

              I dont question that QB is the most important position either. How could it not be? So your point makes sense to me.

              Reading between the lines, I do think it may be harder to actually score an elite LT than it is to score an elite QB. There's an argument there, as I can count more franchise QB's than I can count elite left tackles(I think).

              It does seem like the top LT and QB are always the first players drafted

              gftChris gftChrisG
              • 13k Posts
              • 428 Reputation
              gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @manzier said:

              I dont question that QB is the most important position either. How could it not be? So your point makes sense to me.

              Reading between the lines, I do think it may be harder to actually score an elite LT than it is to score an elite QB. There's an argument there, as I can count more franchise QB's than I can count elite left tackles(I think).

              It does seem like the top LT and QB are always the first players drafted

              That might be because elite QBs get every headline imaginable, while elite linemen's job is not to appear on highlight reels.

              1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • WalterWhite WalterWhiteW
                • 3k Posts
                • 183 Reputation
                WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
                #7

                The 5 most important positions in football.

                #1. QB and it's not even debatable.

                #2. LT

                #3. Pass Rusher (DE or OLB)

                #4. CB

                #5 Inside Linebacker

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • WalterWhite WalterWhiteW
                  • 3k Posts
                  • 183 Reputation
                  WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  If you think QB is not the most important position in all of sports, you've been living on the moon

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                    • 24k Posts
                    • 1k Reputation
                    C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    That list can change depending on the makeup of the team....except the QB. There ahve been teams that made it far with a "game manager" type QB. But nobody went anywhere with a shovel passing idiot like Weedon, just for example. After that though the order can be flipped..just depends on the personnel. Years ago everyone agreed that offensive tackles were the next most important positions on the field after QB. Now, although I don't agree, people think tackles are a dime a dozen and you don't draft one in the 1st round.

                    ManzierM 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • C Clevfan4life

                      That list can change depending on the makeup of the team....except the QB. There ahve been teams that made it far with a "game manager" type QB. But nobody went anywhere with a shovel passing idiot like Weedon, just for example. After that though the order can be flipped..just depends on the personnel. Years ago everyone agreed that offensive tackles were the next most important positions on the field after QB. Now, although I don't agree, people think tackles are a dime a dozen and you don't draft one in the 1st round.

                      Manzier ManzierM
                      • 853 Posts
                      • 125 Reputation
                      ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      @clevfan4life said:

                      Years ago everyone agreed that offensive tackles were the next most important positions on the field after QB. Now, although I don't agree, people think tackles are a dime a dozen and you don't draft one in the 1st round.

                      Do you just make this stuff up?

                      I honestly can't take anything you say seriously.

                      2014 draft had tackles taken at #2-#6-#11

                      2013 draft had tackles taken at #1-#2-#4 and #11......so, 3 out of the top 4 picks were tackles, but "everyone" thinks tackles are dime a dozen?

                      Whatta joke.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      👍
                      Quote Reply
                      • Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                        • 24k Posts
                        • 1k Reputation
                        C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by Clevfan4life
                        #11

                        Hey dude I wasn't agreeing with it..but every year you hear people talking on radio and TV how tackles have become overrated and you don't need to waste a high pick on them. I stated I don't agree. Hell I read that same crap from people here. There's a couple guys here that agreed with tackles aren't that important sentiment. To be clear again...."I" "DO" "NOT" "AGREE"

                        do a quick google search for articles that state tackles are overrated.

                        ManzierM 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • thenew23 thenew23T
                          • 2k Posts
                          • 233 Reputation
                          thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          If you watched this team at all this year, it'd be hard not to put Center in the top 5...

                          #Justsayin'
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          👍
                          Quote Reply
                          • C Clevfan4life

                            Hey dude I wasn't agreeing with it..but every year you hear people talking on radio and TV how tackles have become overrated and you don't need to waste a high pick on them. I stated I don't agree. Hell I read that same crap from people here. There's a couple guys here that agreed with tackles aren't that important sentiment. To be clear again...."I" "DO" "NOT" "AGREE"

                            do a quick google search for articles that state tackles are overrated.

                            Manzier ManzierM
                            • 853 Posts
                            • 125 Reputation
                            ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @clevfan4life said:

                            Hey dude I wasn't agreeing with it..but every year you hear people talking on radio and TV how tackles have become overrated and you don't need to waste a high pick on them. I stated I don't agree. Hell I read that same crap from people here. There's a couple guys here that agreed with tackles aren't that important sentiment. To be clear again...."I" "DO" "NOT" "AGREE"

                            Ok, thats cool 'dewd'. But rather than listen to talking heads on TV and radio, why not just look at the facts?? And if you dont even agree, then why say it at all???

                            Good LT's are always on the top of the draft list. Wouldn't that be more representative of what real football people think? Or should we be paying more attention to what TV people think over what NFL GM's actually do??

                            Heck, Im still chewing on your insane Sammy Watkins thread and continued claims on how bad Carlos Dansby is.

                            It appears we have polar opposite opinions on most of this stuff. So, please excuse me if I take it all with a grain of salt.

                            C 1 Reply Last reply
                            👍
                            Quote Reply
                            • ManzierM Manzier

                              @clevfan4life said:

                              Hey dude I wasn't agreeing with it..but every year you hear people talking on radio and TV how tackles have become overrated and you don't need to waste a high pick on them. I stated I don't agree. Hell I read that same crap from people here. There's a couple guys here that agreed with tackles aren't that important sentiment. To be clear again...."I" "DO" "NOT" "AGREE"

                              Ok, thats cool 'dewd'. But rather than listen to talking heads on TV and radio, why not just look at the facts?? And if you dont even agree, then why say it at all???

                              Good LT's are always on the top of the draft list. Wouldn't that be more representative of what real football people think? Or should we be paying more attention to what TV people think over what NFL GM's actually do??

                              Heck, Im still chewing on your insane Sammy Watkins thread and continued claims on how bad Carlos Dansby is.

                              It appears we have polar opposite opinions on most of this stuff. So, please excuse me if I take it all with a grain of salt.

                              Clevfan4life C Banned Very Popular
                              • 24k Posts
                              • 1k Reputation
                              C Clevfan4life wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @manzier said:

                              and continued claims on how bad Carlos Dansby is.

                              Oh I'm off that nigga's nuts, he's the best linebacker that ever played the game. I just don't understand football very well despite playing it. The inside linebackers have no responsibility when it comes to run defense so I have no idea what I was going on about before. Dansby's like all titty's and shit. Why would a linebacker be around the ball carrier? And not only that, why would a middle linebacker actually put hands on a ball carrier? So undignified. Sir Dansby's doing exactly what we pay him to do, run around the field where the guy with the ball isn't....not sure why i expressed any problem with that cause that's a good job out of him.

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • Vagitron VagitronV Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 4k Posts
                                • 301 Reputation
                                VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                Personally there is no way i'd place left tackle over quarterback. You can have the best left tackle in the game and a marginal quarterback or the best quarterback and a marginal left tackle and I'd bet my house you'd be more likely to win with the best qb and the marginal tackle 9 times out of ten. I also disagree on corner because it's obvious this season the NFL has done everything in it's power to favor the offense. Flags are flying left and right every game with A LOT of illegal hands to the face, contact after 5 yards etc. I think it's the very reason you saw and still see Seattle struggle a little bit this season. They have big physical corners and those corners aren't able to bump and run as aggressively as they did last season.

                                I'd say

                                1. QB

                                2. Left Tackle

                                3. Nose tackle (especially in the 3-4)

                                4. Corner back

                                AKA SNATCH98 or Rorbotron. The boards glorious admins decided to get cute and change my name to "homotron" Classy group of people. (Lost a bet with Columbus king and got banned for a month)
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply

                                Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                Register Login
                                Reply
                                • Reply as topic
                                Log in to reply
                                • Oldest to Newest
                                • Newest to Oldest
                                • Most Votes


                                Theme
                                • System
                                • Light
                                • Dark
                                The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                • First post
                                  Last post
                                0
                                • Forums
                                • Recent
                                • Popular
                                • Users
                                • Donate