Madden, fans and "just hit a button"
-
I really don't think it has too much to do with Madden, but moreso that the world of information is at our fingertips today. In one minute I can go to a website that outlines every stat possible. We watch games where they show every angle, every shot of the field almost instantly. This stuff has made the good lot of fans a lot more knowledgeable about the game, but there will never by anything that replaces real-time, game day decisions. It becomes incredibly easy to arm-chair coach and frankly make a true statement when it's right there. But put yourself down on the field and it's not that simple.
-
Playcalling in madden does however dictate winning and losing from a competitive standpoint.
You can be up 10 points and get conservative and run the ball, when you should be trying to add to the lead..
Or at the least getting first downs..
-
I am still confused as to why some people thought the decision at the end of the half was bad time management. I can understand with 50 seconds left and two time outs wanting to go for the endzone, but they had just taken a huge sack that put them pretty much out of field goal range or at the very tip of Billy's range. If they take a time out and stop the clock, its 3rd and a county mile. You throw for a first down and don't make a completion and stop the clock with 45 seconds left and Tampa with a time out, so you have to punt it back to them to let them go for some points at the end of the half, and with VJax and Mike Evans as their go to guys.... might have seen a repeat of the Jacksonville game.....
I'd rather let the time run, pick a play that picks me up 5-10 yards and let my field goal attempt be the final play of the half. Ya they ended up getting a good play off and might have had enough time to go for an endzone shot if they used a time out, but with the way the offense was playing, I don't think it was a bad call at all.
-
If we're afraid to punt Tampa Bay down to its own 10 with 0:40 left in the half, that's pretty bad. After the second down sack, timeout 0:45 left, run the third down play, where I'm cool with a play where the main objective is to get back in field goal range rather than truly going for the 3rd and 15, then punt or you still have a timeout to use right away or let it tick down to make the field goal the last play of the half.
(Using my Madden expertise here, of course.)
I thought we lucked out with the completion to Austin because it saved the field goal. Maybe I should give Pettine more benefit of the doubt. If it worked out exactly as he planned, great, I hope so.
-
Well... pretty sure Pettine planned to not give them the ball back before the half.
It's a manifestation of a Defense oriented HC... and while it was "different", at least it was not Bill Belichick, "go-for-it-on-4th-down-at-my-own-20-something-with-the-lead" different.
http://nypost.com/2009/11/16/patriots-gamble-leads-to-victory-for-colts/
-
If we're afraid to punt Tampa Bay down to its own 10 with 0:40 left in the half, that's pretty bad. After the second down sack, timeout 0:45 left, run the third down play, where I'm cool with a play where the main objective is to get back in field goal range rather than truly going for the 3rd and 15, then punt or you still have a timeout to use right away or let it tick down to make the field goal the last play of the half.
(Using my Madden expertise here, of course.)
I thought we lucked out with the completion to Austin because it saved the field goal. Maybe I should give Pettine more benefit of the doubt. If it worked out exactly as he planned, great, I hope so.
If we're afraid to punt Tampa Bay down to its own 10 with 0:40 left in the half, that's pretty bad. After the second down sack, timeout 0:45 left, run the third down play, where I'm cool with a play where the main objective is to get back in field goal range rather than truly going for the 3rd and 15, then punt or you still have a timeout to use right away or let it tick down to make the field goal the last play of the half.
(Using my Madden expertise here, of course.)
I thought we lucked out with the completion to Austin because it saved the field goal. Maybe I should give Pettine more benefit of the doubt. If it worked out exactly as he planned, great, I hope so.
He remembers the Jacksonville game. He will not allow another team a chance for free points at the end of the half again.
-
If we're afraid to punt Tampa Bay down to its own 10 with 0:40 left in the half, that's pretty bad. After the second down sack, timeout 0:45 left, run the third down play, where I'm cool with a play where the main objective is to get back in field goal range rather than truly going for the 3rd and 15, then punt or you still have a timeout to use right away or let it tick down to make the field goal the last play of the half.
(Using my Madden expertise here, of course.)
I thought we lucked out with the completion to Austin because it saved the field goal. Maybe I should give Pettine more benefit of the doubt. If it worked out exactly as he planned, great, I hope so.
He remembers the Jacksonville game. He will not allow another team a chance for free points at the end of the half again.
-
It worked out exactly as Pettine had wanted it to. Can't fault the guy for it, and the potentially (low chance) extra 4 points a TD would have gotten us wouldn't have mattered.
-
We got lucky on the 3rd down conversion. Austin really made an awesome play and it's just one of those things you really can't foresee happening consistently enough to say yeah, it's definitely going to happen.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login