Skip to content

Thoughts from Farmer pressy

The Browns Board
25 13 964
  • According to Haslam, both Farmer and Pettine report directly to him. So why would he make a comment on Pettine?

  • According to Haslam, both Farmer and Pettine report directly to him. So why would he make a comment on Pettine?

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    According to Haslam, both Farmer and Pettine report directly to him. So why would he make a comment on Pettine?

    It'd be a little strange (and concerning) if Farmer and Pettine had nothing to do with each other

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    According to Haslam, both Farmer and Pettine report directly to him. So why would he make a comment on Pettine?

    It'd be a little strange (and concerning) if Farmer and Pettine had nothing to do with each other

    @bbedward said:

    It'd be a little strange (and concerning) if Farmer and Pettine had nothing to do with each other

    No shit sherlock, I was referring to it was sounding as if Farmer was his boss, he isn't.

  • @bbedward said:

    It'd be a little strange (and concerning) if Farmer and Pettine had nothing to do with each other

    No shit sherlock, I was referring to it was sounding as if Farmer was his boss, he isn't.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    No shit sherlock, I was referring to it was sounding as if Farmer was his boss, he isn't.

    Whoa easy boi. It sounds as if Farmer has an opinion on Pettine, and it's a positive one. Should he not have an opinion on Pettine?

  • It seems to me Hoyer "may" have soured the front office towards him with the contract negotiations. I think his agent is asking for ridiculous money and there may really have been some talk about a Manziel being out of town stipulation. Just my suspicion, we'll see how it plays out. As much as I like Hoyer, if he was trying to strong arm the Browns in any way...especially as it pertains to his backup situation, than I dunno. It definitely sounds like the honeymoon with Hoyer is over and now they're being serious.

  • the agent's put these players in awkward situations although the player has to agree with the play.

    dangerous game of poker for hoyer to play as both lines are starting to fall from the injury bug. not being able to get us to at least 9 wins will hurt his bargaining power IMO (even though it'd be four wins better than any other QB in the past 6 years).

  • Why doesn't someone ask the great Farmer why he stubbornly passed on Sammy Watkins, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham Jr., Kelvin Benjamin and Martavis Bryant. He did draft a quarterback and a corner in the first round without any reservations. How about the future of this team? He could have insured it with a solid receiver just in case of injuries. This GM reeks of arrogance and small mindedness.

  • Lol like you know....

  • O line currently struggling without Mack and you're complaining we didn't take receivers like Watkins, Evans (two win Tampa), Beckham (injury woes) and Benjamin (drop issues) ahead of Bitonio?

  • I like Farmer's personality, seems like a guy who can get his point across. Whether or not he's a good personnel guy will be known 3-5 years from now.

  • I like Farmer's personality, seems like a guy who can get his point across. Whether or not he's a good personnel guy will be known 3-5 years from now.

    @baconhound said:

    I like Farmer's personality, seems like a guy who can get his point across. Whether or not he's a good personnel guy will be known 3-5 years from now.

    I agree and am surprised that anybody cant be happy with this guy compared to what we had before. No reason NOT to..

    Where were we a year ago? Banner Lombardi?

    Lombardi Farmer Lombardi Farmer.

    No brainer.

  • I'm happy with him, it's too early to judge his first draft fairly like some are doing, but there's a lot of contributors already.

    I like the way our team is coming together, only gonna get better.

  • shoulda picked WR at 22 BUT we needed a QB of the future. if we make it to 500. or above this year i'm happy considering all the injuries to key personnel.

    there'll be plenty of WRs next year. i think the injuries to DL and OL will have changed farmer's direction for next year, but i guarantee you there'll be a WR or two in his plans.

    btw can people stop the bitching about watkins? and when did drafting a WR GUARANTEE the future of any team?

  • shoulda picked WR at 22 BUT we needed a QB of the future. if we make it to 500. or above this year i'm happy considering all the injuries to key personnel.

    there'll be plenty of WRs next year. i think the injuries to DL and OL will have changed farmer's direction for next year, but i guarantee you there'll be a WR or two in his plans.

    btw can people stop the bitching about watkins? and when did drafting a WR GUARANTEE the future of any team?

    @miktoxic said:

    btw can people stop the bitching about watkins? and when did drafting a WR GUARANTEE the future of any team?

    I know it stopped guaranteeing future success right around the time the Browns drafted Braylon Edwards #3 overall.

  • According to Haslam, both Farmer and Pettine report directly to him. So why would he make a comment on Pettine?

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    According to Haslam, both Farmer and Pettine report directly to him. So why would he make a comment on Pettine?

    Because he was asked? Nothing wrong with talking about a co-worker... as long as it's positive.

    To say Farmer was effusive in his praise of Pettine would be an understatement calling him "smart" and "a leader" among other things. And then saying, "I'm all in on Pettine."

  • I like Farmer's personality, seems like a guy who can get his point across. Whether or not he's a good personnel guy will be known 3-5 years from now.

    @baconhound said:

    I like Farmer's personality, seems like a guy who can get his point across. Whether or not he's a good personnel guy will be known 3-5 years from now.

    Agree...

    The one thought that occurred to me was "Farmer could be an HC." He has that kind of presence...

    Only "odd" bit was the Gordon segment. It was as if Farmer was walking on eggshells there.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    No shit sherlock, I was referring to it was sounding as if Farmer was his boss, he isn't.

    Whoa easy boi. It sounds as if Farmer has an opinion on Pettine, and it's a positive one. Should he not have an opinion on Pettine?

    @bbedward said:

    Whoa easy boi. It sounds as if Farmer has an opinion on Pettine, and it's a positive one. Should he not have an opinion on Pettine?

    I'm pretty sure they will have positive opinions on each other in public.

  • Farmer was correct to not take a WR in the first or second.

    WR is useful between 2-5 plays per game.. other than catches, WR is a shiny hood ornament.

  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    According to Haslam, both Farmer and Pettine report directly to him. So why would he make a comment on Pettine?

    Because he was asked? Nothing wrong with talking about a co-worker... as long as it's positive.

    To say Farmer was effusive in his praise of Pettine would be an understatement calling him "smart" and "a leader" among other things. And then saying, "I'm all in on Pettine."

    @tour2ma said:

    To say Farmer was effusive in his praise of Pettine would be an understatement calling him "smart" and "a leader" among other things. And then saying, "I'm all in on Pettine."

    That was my take. Farmer usually chooses his words very carefully and can offer praise and support w/o going over the top.

    But when given the opportunity, he chose to pile it on for Pettine, while taking a very moderate "wait and see" approach for both Hoyer and Gordon. It was very obvious to me.

    My honest take on it, without choosing sides or starting a huge freaking debate, is that Hoyer and Gordon may not be in our plan for next year, >>>>UNLESS<<<<< we go big the second half of this season.

    Playoffs = Hoyer/Gordon in 2015

    8 - 8 = JFF and another draft pick (for Gordon) in 2015

  • Listened to the presser, I am not ready to ring the alarm bells on the Gordon comment. I think he was just taking a "wait and see" stance on Gordon primarily because we know Farmer puts a premium on high-character individuals and I suspect he wants to see if Gordon has turned the corner on this or not. It also could've been that he phrased it the way he did to challenge and motivate Gordon when he gets back.