Texans Week 11...
-
Don't sleep on these boys.
28th ranked passing attack, but an unknown QB is stepping in...
... and back ups have not been kind to the Browns throughout history.
Yep, it's an unfortunate long list, probably starting with Scott Mitchell (Miami). We need to amp up the pass rush on Mallett.
Yep, it's an unfortunate long list, probably starting with Scott Mitchell (Miami). We need to amp up the pass rush on Mallett.
I can go back further... St. Louis Cards' back up Jim Hart gave us fits back in the 60's when he started for his ailing predecessor, Charley Johnson.
not that they wouldn't move him over there anyway, but Watts natural position on the left side of their line which means he's gonna be right over RG/RT. It could get really ugly really fast especially if they put Clowney next to him on that side, which why wouldn't they? Why put Clowney over JT when he can go around Schwartz? Gonna be really hard to double up Watt if they put Clowney over there with him. I forsee "a lot" of runs and quick slants to the left from Hoyer.
Watt's natural position is in the opponents backfield... where he starts is immaterial... whereas Clowney's natural position has been "bench". We could be the first to face this two-headed monster for an entire game.
It's a given that our O-line will know where these two are every play. I think they will start on the same side very little, but not much to go on.
In general I think teams are better off running at speed instead of away from it. Both players tend to "guess a gap", and it'll be up to us to react to their guesses and escort them away from the play... AKA our zone scheme. Run away from JJ and he will run you down.
-
Don't sleep on these boys.
28th ranked passing attack, but an unknown QB is stepping in...
... and back ups have not been kind to the Browns throughout history.
4th ranked rushing attack with rookie RB, Blue out of LSU, ready if Foster is a no go...
21st ranked rushing D, but...
29th ranked passing D, but...
They have a couple but(t)s that can make plays, one of whom the league has barely glimpsed as yet...
Put Cinci in a box, close the lid, turn that key... Compartmentalize...
... but most of all do not sleep on these boys.
... and back ups have not been kind to the Browns throughout history.
Hey hey hey hey. we are learning that these are NOT the Browns of the past. Not the same ole Browns. Streaks, records, past tendancies mean nothing anymore.
So, back up QB's used to give us fits?. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Not anymore. Ryan Mallet will lose his first game. Book it.
-
Add to the concern list :
Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 60m 60 minutes ago #Browns C Nick McDonald (calf) and WR Andrew Hawkins (thigh/knee) on the bike today.
Biggie here :
Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 13m 13 minutes ago #browns pettine said Tashaun Gipson (headaches) is being checked for a concussion
-
We just need to beat Mallet early and we'll be fine.
Haven't seen much of Mallett, and I'm sure he's improved since I last seen him but he's a strong arm, quick release type of guy. He likes to overthrow guys fairly often though, is a statue in the pocket, and he's just kind of a dick.
Mallett's a guy I thought had problems that were for the most part coachable, where he could be good under a good coaching system - like what he had in NE. So it'll be interesting to see him, but if we get to him early I don't really have any concerns.
I have a prediction that he will overthrow some inside post/slant routes and Gipson will make him pay for it at least once. (If he plays)
-
I was thinking the same about Gipson - most of his picks (and his drop last week) have come from him being in the middle of the field on overthrown balls, and mallett seems like he'll throw plenty of those.
-
I was thinking the same about Gipson - most of his picks (and his drop last week) have come from him being in the middle of the field on overthrown balls, and mallett seems like he'll throw plenty of those.
-
Im optimistic that a QB, in his first start, is gonna struggle at Browns stadium. Our D fronts will confuse him and he wont be able to hear. I expect their O to produce lots of false starts and turn overs.
No argument on Watt being a monster, but Clowney? Haven't seen him do anything. Ever. So, no Im not worried about "potential" showing up and beating us. I think he has 2 tackles this year. Besides, I heard he has the sniffles and is questionable.
Im optimistic that a QB, in his first start, is gonna struggle at Browns stadium. Our D fronts will confuse him and he wont be able to hear. I expect their O to produce lots of false starts and turn overs.
No argument on Watt being a monster, but Clowney? Haven't seen him do anything. Ever. So, no Im not worried about "potential" showing up and beating us. I think he has 2 tackles this year. Besides, I heard he has the sniffles and is questionable.
If you haven't seen Clowney do anything, you've never watched his Youtube highlights. When healthy, the guy can shoot a gap like he was shot out of a cannon. Even did that once in the NFL, though I can't remember who it was against. He was drafted #1 overall for a reason. When they say freak of nature- the guy fills the bill.
-
-
Yes. Ive seen "the" highlight. The one they play over and over. Yes, Ive seen him blow up a few plays. But, no. Ive never seen him dominate consistently or show any more than potential. I get that he's a freak and he may end up being a player. But Im not sold and dont really think he's a real baller. And, in the end, I predict he will be a disappointment.
-
Yes. Ive seen "the" highlight. The one they play over and over. Yes, Ive seen him blow up a few plays. But, no. Ive never seen him dominate consistently or show any more than potential. I get that he's a freak and he may end up being a player. But Im not sold and dont really think he's a real baller. And, in the end, I predict he will be a disappointment.
But Im not sold and dont really think (Clowney's) a real baller. And, in the end, I predict he will be a disappointment.
Not going to go as far as your prediction, but agree that there's an unanswered question about how much Clowney wants "it".
His best chance of developing "it" may reside with JJ, who has enough drive to supply an entire D. Plus I think if Clowney dogs it, then he will have to answer to Mr. Watt.
-
Clowney only got hurt cause somebody apparently forgot to fill in their divot after practicing their approach shots at Texans field. Ridiculous the grounds crew there would miss that. Clowney will be unblockable 1v1 if plays Sunday unless they line him up over JT. Which they aren't. We all know they won't. Him and Watt will be over RG/RT all day long. We're gonna have enough problems with Watt, if Clowney adds to that we'd better just run all day long. Defense has to show up SUnday cause if we get behind and Hoyer has to start throwing, it could get ugly. Really ugly. Watt by himself if he's "on"...could make things ugly for us.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
The Atlanta preseason game. Blew up the running back, next play sacked the quarterback. I saw him in training camp live in person, him and Watt on the same side blew up the line every time. He is explosive. My concerns have always been that I think he is lazy and won't play through injuries.
Can't fault the Texans for taking him though, he's that no brainer kind of talent isn't he? It's scary how much better Watt is gonna be when Clowney is back 100%
-
clowney looks like a triangle from the front. wide shoulders tapered down to a smallish waist tapered down to baby ankles. saw a mirror image of a player this last saturday getting helped off the field limping with lower leg/ankle injury.
won't last long.
-
Im optimistic that a QB, in his first start, is gonna struggle at Browns stadium. Our D fronts will confuse him and he wont be able to hear. I expect their O to produce lots of false starts and turn overs.
No argument on Watt being a monster, but Clowney? Haven't seen him do anything. Ever. So, no Im not worried about "potential" showing up and beating us. I think he has 2 tackles this year. Besides, I heard he has the sniffles and is questionable.
If you haven't seen Clowney do anything, you've never watched his Youtube highlights. When healthy, the guy can shoot a gap like he was shot out of a cannon. Even did that once in the NFL, though I can't remember who it was against. He was drafted #1 overall for a reason. When they say freak of nature- the guy fills the bill.
If you haven't seen Clowney do anything, you've never watched his Youtube highlights. When healthy, the guy can shoot a gap like he was shot out of a cannon. Even did that once in the NFL, though I can't remember who it was against. He was drafted #1 overall for a reason. When they say freak of nature- the guy fills the bill.
Yes, but I watched his whole first game with SC last year. He was gassed midway through the 1st quarter and took a ton of plays off both in and out of that game. His Heisman hopes went right up in smoke with that first game. I expect he will be similarly out of shape coming off the injury list. It's like a quarterhorse vs a Belmont thoroughbred. Clowney is a great quarterhorse with no long distance stamina. Now JJ is just a whole different animal. No laydowns with that guy and he never takes a play off. I'm worried about Hoyer's health this week just for that reason alone.
-
-
@everlastingxxx said:
The Atlanta preseason game. Blew up the running back, next play sacked the quarterback. I saw him in training camp live in person, him and Watt on the same side blew up the line every time. He is explosive. My concerns have always been that I think he is lazy and won't play through injuries.
I think his career path will line up with Julius Peppers. A lot of people said the same thing about him (taking plays off, not working hard, etc) but in the end the guy will still put up numbers. Gotta stay healthy though.
-
If you haven't seen Clowney do anything, you've never watched his Youtube highlights. When healthy, the guy can shoot a gap like he was shot out of a cannon. Even did that once in the NFL, though I can't remember who it was against. He was drafted #1 overall for a reason. When they say freak of nature- the guy fills the bill.
Yes, but I watched his whole first game with SC last year. He was gassed midway through the 1st quarter and took a ton of plays off both in and out of that game. His Heisman hopes went right up in smoke with that first game. I expect he will be similarly out of shape coming off the injury list. It's like a quarterhorse vs a Belmont thoroughbred. Clowney is a great quarterhorse with no long distance stamina. Now JJ is just a whole different animal. No laydowns with that guy and he never takes a play off. I'm worried about Hoyer's health this week just for that reason alone.
It's like a quarterhorse vs a Belmont thoroughbred. Clowney is a great quarterhorse with no long distance stamina.
Stereotypical Texas horse analogy?
@everlastingxxx said:
My concerns have always been that I think he is lazy and won't play through injuries.
Some players don't care to recognize the difference between pain and injury.
-
It's like a quarterhorse vs a Belmont thoroughbred. Clowney is a great quarterhorse with no long distance stamina.
Stereotypical Texas horse analogy?
@everlastingxxx said:
My concerns have always been that I think he is lazy and won't play through injuries.
Some players don't care to recognize the difference between pain and injury.
-
Dont know much about the Texans, so just took a little time and visited some of their forums just to read what they are saying about the game, Mallet and Clowney.
And, WOW, haha, I thought we had it bad with the JFF debates and all. My basic take(and, of course, they have people on all sides) is that:
#1) Most regret the Clowney pick and think he is soft and gonna bust. Lots of raging talk about "worse than Mario", pussy soft, not a baller, hangnails, etc. Tho there are a few hold outs who are still saying he'll become a monster. They are out numbered though.
#2) Very limited confidence in Mallet, especially against the Browns DB's. They are all praying for a big day from Foster. But, typical stuff you hear when a new QB comes in.
#3) They are pretty even on who wins the game. 1/2 say a loss and 1/2 say a win. Which I think is bad for a fan site. I think they should be a bit more delusional(like me
) and ALL pick their team to win no matter what. I did see one serious pick that had Texas winning(in Cleveland) 53-14......really?
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login