Texans Week 11...
-
We just need to beat Mallet early and we'll be fine.
Haven't seen much of Mallett, and I'm sure he's improved since I last seen him but he's a strong arm, quick release type of guy. He likes to overthrow guys fairly often though, is a statue in the pocket, and he's just kind of a dick.
Mallett's a guy I thought had problems that were for the most part coachable, where he could be good under a good coaching system - like what he had in NE. So it'll be interesting to see him, but if we get to him early I don't really have any concerns.
I have a prediction that he will overthrow some inside post/slant routes and Gipson will make him pay for it at least once. (If he plays)
-
I was thinking the same about Gipson - most of his picks (and his drop last week) have come from him being in the middle of the field on overthrown balls, and mallett seems like he'll throw plenty of those.
-
I was thinking the same about Gipson - most of his picks (and his drop last week) have come from him being in the middle of the field on overthrown balls, and mallett seems like he'll throw plenty of those.
-
Im optimistic that a QB, in his first start, is gonna struggle at Browns stadium. Our D fronts will confuse him and he wont be able to hear. I expect their O to produce lots of false starts and turn overs.
No argument on Watt being a monster, but Clowney? Haven't seen him do anything. Ever. So, no Im not worried about "potential" showing up and beating us. I think he has 2 tackles this year. Besides, I heard he has the sniffles and is questionable.
Im optimistic that a QB, in his first start, is gonna struggle at Browns stadium. Our D fronts will confuse him and he wont be able to hear. I expect their O to produce lots of false starts and turn overs.
No argument on Watt being a monster, but Clowney? Haven't seen him do anything. Ever. So, no Im not worried about "potential" showing up and beating us. I think he has 2 tackles this year. Besides, I heard he has the sniffles and is questionable.
If you haven't seen Clowney do anything, you've never watched his Youtube highlights. When healthy, the guy can shoot a gap like he was shot out of a cannon. Even did that once in the NFL, though I can't remember who it was against. He was drafted #1 overall for a reason. When they say freak of nature- the guy fills the bill.
-
-
Yes. Ive seen "the" highlight. The one they play over and over. Yes, Ive seen him blow up a few plays. But, no. Ive never seen him dominate consistently or show any more than potential. I get that he's a freak and he may end up being a player. But Im not sold and dont really think he's a real baller. And, in the end, I predict he will be a disappointment.
-
Yes. Ive seen "the" highlight. The one they play over and over. Yes, Ive seen him blow up a few plays. But, no. Ive never seen him dominate consistently or show any more than potential. I get that he's a freak and he may end up being a player. But Im not sold and dont really think he's a real baller. And, in the end, I predict he will be a disappointment.
But Im not sold and dont really think (Clowney's) a real baller. And, in the end, I predict he will be a disappointment.
Not going to go as far as your prediction, but agree that there's an unanswered question about how much Clowney wants "it".
His best chance of developing "it" may reside with JJ, who has enough drive to supply an entire D. Plus I think if Clowney dogs it, then he will have to answer to Mr. Watt.
-
Clowney only got hurt cause somebody apparently forgot to fill in their divot after practicing their approach shots at Texans field. Ridiculous the grounds crew there would miss that. Clowney will be unblockable 1v1 if plays Sunday unless they line him up over JT. Which they aren't. We all know they won't. Him and Watt will be over RG/RT all day long. We're gonna have enough problems with Watt, if Clowney adds to that we'd better just run all day long. Defense has to show up SUnday cause if we get behind and Hoyer has to start throwing, it could get ugly. Really ugly. Watt by himself if he's "on"...could make things ugly for us.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
The Atlanta preseason game. Blew up the running back, next play sacked the quarterback. I saw him in training camp live in person, him and Watt on the same side blew up the line every time. He is explosive. My concerns have always been that I think he is lazy and won't play through injuries.
Can't fault the Texans for taking him though, he's that no brainer kind of talent isn't he? It's scary how much better Watt is gonna be when Clowney is back 100%
-
clowney looks like a triangle from the front. wide shoulders tapered down to a smallish waist tapered down to baby ankles. saw a mirror image of a player this last saturday getting helped off the field limping with lower leg/ankle injury.
won't last long.
-
Im optimistic that a QB, in his first start, is gonna struggle at Browns stadium. Our D fronts will confuse him and he wont be able to hear. I expect their O to produce lots of false starts and turn overs.
No argument on Watt being a monster, but Clowney? Haven't seen him do anything. Ever. So, no Im not worried about "potential" showing up and beating us. I think he has 2 tackles this year. Besides, I heard he has the sniffles and is questionable.
If you haven't seen Clowney do anything, you've never watched his Youtube highlights. When healthy, the guy can shoot a gap like he was shot out of a cannon. Even did that once in the NFL, though I can't remember who it was against. He was drafted #1 overall for a reason. When they say freak of nature- the guy fills the bill.
If you haven't seen Clowney do anything, you've never watched his Youtube highlights. When healthy, the guy can shoot a gap like he was shot out of a cannon. Even did that once in the NFL, though I can't remember who it was against. He was drafted #1 overall for a reason. When they say freak of nature- the guy fills the bill.
Yes, but I watched his whole first game with SC last year. He was gassed midway through the 1st quarter and took a ton of plays off both in and out of that game. His Heisman hopes went right up in smoke with that first game. I expect he will be similarly out of shape coming off the injury list. It's like a quarterhorse vs a Belmont thoroughbred. Clowney is a great quarterhorse with no long distance stamina. Now JJ is just a whole different animal. No laydowns with that guy and he never takes a play off. I'm worried about Hoyer's health this week just for that reason alone.
-
-
@everlastingxxx said:
The Atlanta preseason game. Blew up the running back, next play sacked the quarterback. I saw him in training camp live in person, him and Watt on the same side blew up the line every time. He is explosive. My concerns have always been that I think he is lazy and won't play through injuries.
I think his career path will line up with Julius Peppers. A lot of people said the same thing about him (taking plays off, not working hard, etc) but in the end the guy will still put up numbers. Gotta stay healthy though.
-
If you haven't seen Clowney do anything, you've never watched his Youtube highlights. When healthy, the guy can shoot a gap like he was shot out of a cannon. Even did that once in the NFL, though I can't remember who it was against. He was drafted #1 overall for a reason. When they say freak of nature- the guy fills the bill.
Yes, but I watched his whole first game with SC last year. He was gassed midway through the 1st quarter and took a ton of plays off both in and out of that game. His Heisman hopes went right up in smoke with that first game. I expect he will be similarly out of shape coming off the injury list. It's like a quarterhorse vs a Belmont thoroughbred. Clowney is a great quarterhorse with no long distance stamina. Now JJ is just a whole different animal. No laydowns with that guy and he never takes a play off. I'm worried about Hoyer's health this week just for that reason alone.
It's like a quarterhorse vs a Belmont thoroughbred. Clowney is a great quarterhorse with no long distance stamina.
Stereotypical Texas horse analogy?
@everlastingxxx said:
My concerns have always been that I think he is lazy and won't play through injuries.
Some players don't care to recognize the difference between pain and injury.
-
It's like a quarterhorse vs a Belmont thoroughbred. Clowney is a great quarterhorse with no long distance stamina.
Stereotypical Texas horse analogy?
@everlastingxxx said:
My concerns have always been that I think he is lazy and won't play through injuries.
Some players don't care to recognize the difference between pain and injury.
-
Dont know much about the Texans, so just took a little time and visited some of their forums just to read what they are saying about the game, Mallet and Clowney.
And, WOW, haha, I thought we had it bad with the JFF debates and all. My basic take(and, of course, they have people on all sides) is that:
#1) Most regret the Clowney pick and think he is soft and gonna bust. Lots of raging talk about "worse than Mario", pussy soft, not a baller, hangnails, etc. Tho there are a few hold outs who are still saying he'll become a monster. They are out numbered though.
#2) Very limited confidence in Mallet, especially against the Browns DB's. They are all praying for a big day from Foster. But, typical stuff you hear when a new QB comes in.
#3) They are pretty even on who wins the game. 1/2 say a loss and 1/2 say a win. Which I think is bad for a fan site. I think they should be a bit more delusional(like me
) and ALL pick their team to win no matter what. I did see one serious pick that had Texas winning(in Cleveland) 53-14......really?
-
lol... never been to a Texans fan site... looks like I haven't missed anything.
The Reggie Bush/ Mario Williams debate got really ugly a few years ago., so not surprised there is a Clowney debate.
Clowney was "ill" two weeks ago... never heard what.
lol... never been to a Texans fan site... looks like I haven't missed anything.
The Reggie Bush/ Mario Williams debate got really ugly a few years ago., so not surprised there is a Clowney debate.
Clowney was "ill" two weeks ago... never heard what.
Yeah. Ive never been either, but it was interesting. Gotta say, they are one of the teams that I know the LEAST about, so I gotta get upto speed
He missed the game due to flu. Some say he was REALLY REALLY ill. Others say he's a puss. Who knows. I think the consensus is that he was the #1 cant miss monster and they were all pumped to kick some ass. But now, 9 games in, he has 2 tackles and the folks are pretty disappointed and feel let down by his overall effort and production.
This weeks Clowney thread is on page 44, so you can only imagine whats going on.....

-
(SportsNetwork.com) - It's more than 900 miles from the place he became a collegiate standout and more than 600 miles from where he was drafted - but as it turns out, the Ryan Mallett Era will officially begin at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland.
Now a fourth-year pro with precisely one completed pass to his name, Mallett will become an NFL starter this week when he takes the reins of the Houston Texans' offense against the host Browns.
Mallett lost a yard on a single carry this season while serving as an understudy to Ryan Fitzpatrick through Houston's first nine games, but was named the starter for the rest of the season by coach Bill O'Brien as the team emerged from its Week 10 bye. The former University of Arkansas star had spent his initial three seasons as Tom Brady's caddy after the New England Patriots drafted him in 2010.
He was acquired by the Texans for a draft pick in August.
"I've been waiting four years for this," Mallett said. "Now it's my time to have an opportunity to show what I can do."
Fitzpatrick had failed to reach 300 passing yards in a single game this season and Houston is 28th among 32 teams with a per-game passing average of 209.7. Still, the Texans already have twice the wins this year (four) than they'd managed in 2013 (two) while being led at various times by Matt Schaub, Case Keenum and T.J. Yates - none of whom are still on the roster.
And wide receiver Andre Johnson, who had six 100-yard games last season but none this year, doesn't pretend that the cure to all Houston's ills - the team has lost four of five since a 3-1 start - is a regime change under center.
"Whoever is at quarterback, it doesn't matter," he said. "We all have to go out and do our jobs. It's not just going to be about him. It's going to be about all of us. All of us need to step our game up and go out and play the way we know how to play."
The Texans were beaten at home, 31-21, by Philadelphia in their last game before the week off.
Running back Arian Foster, who leads the AFC with 822 yards, left that game with a groin injury but is expected back to meet the Browns. Assuming he plays, he'll be matched for the first time with former Houston understudy Ben Tate, who's now in Cleveland.
Tate ran for a team-high 771 yards last season while Foster was limited to eight games by injury, and he began his stint with the Browns as the premier back, but now shares time with Terrance West and Isaiah Crowell. All three had rushing touchdowns in Cleveland's 24-3 defeat of Cincinnati in Week 10.
"We're winning," Tate said. "We're 6-3 and in first place, that's all that really matters."
The Browns will start their own former Brady backup at quarterback in the form of Brian Hoyer, who's been clinically efficient this season while throwing interceptions at a low rate (1.5 percent of his passes) that's surpassed by only Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger and Carson Palmer.
He and Mallett were teammates in New England in 2011.
The Texans defense that will line up against him is in various levels of disarray thanks to a rash of injuries. Cornerback Kareem Jackson is not expected to play with a knee problem, though his fellow cornerback, Johnathan Joseph, has cleared concussion protocol and is eligible to return. Linebacker Brian Cushing has missed two games with a knee injury and rookie Jadeveon Clowney also had a knee injury before missing the Philadelphia game due to illness.
Cleveland's presence in first place is its latest in any one season in 20 years.
It hasn't seen the playoffs since 2002 and has lost at least 11 games in each of the last six years. A win Sunday would provide a four-game winning streak for the first time since 2009.
"There are no awards. There's no prize for being 6-3," coach Mike Pettine said. "The only thing that's done for us is our games are meaningful now. You still have to have the ability to put that one in a box and move onto the next one."
The 21-point defeat of the Bengals was Cincinnati's first regular-season home loss since December 2012 and saw the Browns limit the hosts to 165 total yards while forcing four turnovers. Cleveland allowed 79 yards passing - its fewest since 2011 - and its run defense has yielded 91.7 yards in the last three victories after being gashed for 155.5 in the season's first six games.
"You have to be able to handle success," Browns linebacker Paul Kruger said. "Coach Pettine has done a better job than any coach I've even been around helping us understand that and making an emphasis on it, knowing how to handle a loss and bounce back and know how to handle a win - not overreact."
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
Will the Kid Be All Right?
Needless to say, all eyes will be on the strong-armed Mallett's starting debut, particularly those of an opportunistic Cleveland defense. The Browns are second in the league with 13 interceptions and seventh overall with 17 takeaways. Mallett has thrown just four NFL passes - all with New England in 2012 - and was intercepted once.
Where's 99?
While the Cleveland defense pays attention to Mallett, the offense will surely be focused on Houston defensive star J.J. Watt, who's already amassed a season's worth of stats through nine games. Watt has 8 1/2 sacks, seven pass deflections, 11 tackles for loss and 29 quarterback hits. And he's become the first defensive lineman to score three touchdowns since William Perry in 1985.
OVERALL ANALYSIS
As impressive as the Browns looked in dismantling the Bengals, one need glance no farther back than Week 7 to discover reason for caution. Back then, coming off a 21-point rout of Pittsburgh, Cleveland was the toast of the Sunday preview shows - and then lost, 24-6, at winless Jacksonville.
If Mallett is as good as many think he is, the Texans have plenty of reasons to believe a road win is within reach.
-
Browns have (No.) 99 problems with J.J. Watt
Nov 12 2014, 5:21 PMThe Associated Press
BEREA, Ohio (AP) J.J. Watt seems to be everywhere these days. Turn on the tube, and there he is dancing on a TV commercial. Check out the supermarket's magazine display rack and there's Houston's dynamic No. 99 on the covers of two national sports magazines - this week.
Unstoppable on the field, Watt can hardly be controlled off it. He's all over the place.
On Sunday, the Browns need to keep him out their backfield and off their quarterback.
If there's one NFL player who can keep a coaching staff awake at night it's Watt, the Texans' 6-foot-5, 290-pound wrecking ball who never stops moving. In nine games this season, Watt has amassed a career's worth of stats for an ordinary player.
''He's a beast,'' Browns quarterback Brian Hoyer said Wednesday. ''Everything said about him is true. I hope we can contain him.''
Watt has an unmatched 2014 resume. He's recorded 8 1/2 sacks, been credited with swatting seven passes and made 11 tackles for loss. The $100 million man - he signed a six-year contract extension in September - leads the league with 29 quarterback hits and he's scored three touchdowns, returning an interception 80 yards, rumbling 45 yards with a fumble and catching a 1-yard TD pass.
Watt is the first defensive lineman to score three TDs since 1985, when William ''The Refrigerator'' Perry did it for the Chicago Bears.
Perry was a novelty act.
There's nothing gimmicky about Watt.
''I wouldn't say it's hyperbole when you say he's the best defensive player in the NFL because I don't think I've ever seen anybody who plays like he does, as hard as he does,'' Browns Pro Bowl tackle Joe Thomas said. ''I've never seen anybody as disruptive as he is. He's unpredictable.''
Just when the AFC North-leading Browns (6-3) found some cohesion in their running game, gaining 170 yards rushing last week in Cincinnati, they'll have to try and move the ball against Watt and Houston's defense. The Texans shift Watt along the line of scrimmage, playing him inside to use his strength and outside to maximize his speed.
When he walks to the line to make his pre-snap read, Hoyer will find Watt.
''It's something I always do,'' he said. ''I check the front. I check the linebackers. I check the coverage, but I think it's more for our offensive line and running backs to know where he is. He's a great player, but he also has great players around him.''
Players don't come any tougher than Watt, in his fourth season from Wisconsin. He's earned the universal respect of his peers and Texans coach Bill O'Brien said Watt's work ethic is unmatched.
''He's here early. He stays late,'' O'Brien said on a teleconference. ''He practices very, very hard. He's a great teammate. He's a great leader on our team.''
Browns coach Mike Pettine had high praise for Watt, the AP's Defensive Player of the Year in 2012 and front-runner to win the award again.
''It's rare that somebody has it all, and really you look for a weakness and it's hard to find one,'' Pettine said. ''He plays so hard that sometimes you see they either substitute for him or he burns himself out. To me, that's a compliment that he plays as hard as he does.''
NOTES: Browns S Tashaun Gipson (concussion) did not practice for the second straight day, and the league's leader in interceptions could miss Sunday's game. Pettine said it will be a ''tight window'' to have Gipson, who has six picks this season, including four in the past four games. ... TE Jordan Cameron also remains sidelined with a concussion sustained on Oct. 26. He's missed the past two games. ... Hoyer said Texans QB Ryan Mallett, who will make his first NFL start against the Browns, has ''the strongest arm I've ever seen.'' Hoyer and Mallett were teammates in New England.
---
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org and www.twitter.com/AP-NFL
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login