Skip to content

New Browns fan from Aggieland

The Browns Board
84 20 2.4k
  • Manzier,, so be it. I only brought Johnny up to explain why I'm here. You guys would make assumptions anyway, so I figured full disclosure was best.

    This is a Browns board, though, and I actually am hoping for them to keep kicking ass. I won't mention Johnny in another thread unless he's relevant.

    As for Ohio State, they have enjoyed success forever, had tons of superstars hit the NFL. Johnny came along when the Aggies were down and out, expected to fail miserably, and became the best player to ever wear an Aggie uniform, making A&M relevant overnight, admittedly with help from a good 2012 team and a great new coach. I watched Tannehill last night and he did ok. I'm glad he won but I don't really give a shit for the Dolphins.

    I can't explain it any better than I've already tried to, but my hope is that he will get to play for the Browns someday and make the same unbelievable plays for them as he did for the Aggies. Don't let yourself get so jaded by all the Johnny Football bullshit that you can't fully appreciate him if he becomes the player he was for the Ags.

    ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Manzier,, so be it. I only brought Johnny up to explain why I'm here. We get "why" you're here. We just dont get excited about it or want to talk JFF anymore.

    This is a Browns board, though, and I actually am hoping for them to keep kicking ass. I won't mention Johnny in another thread unless he's relevant.

    Good. Because, right now, he is NOT relevant to anything going on with the Browns.

    As for Ohio State, they have enjoyed success forever, had tons of superstars hit the NFL. Johnny came along when the Aggies were down and out, expected to fail miserably, and became the best player to ever wear an Aggie uniform, making A&M relevant overnight, admittedly with help from a good 2012 team and a great new coach. I watched Tannehill last night and he did ok. I'm glad he won but I don't really give a shit for the Dolphins.

    Whatever. Again, this is Cleveland, so no one cares about anything "aggies". Or Texas. Or their coaches, players, games against bama, etc etc etc

    I can't explain it any better than I've already tried to, but my hope is that he will get to play for the Browns someday and make the same unbelievable plays for them as he did for the Aggies. Don't let yourself get so jaded by all the Johnny Football bullshit that you can't fully appreciate him if he becomes the player he was for the Ags.

    I hope he's great too. Really really great, actually. And Im not jaded(at all) about him. Not one bit. As stated TEN THOUSAND TIMES before, we are tired of TEXAS FAN BOYS telling us about how great Johnny is, but not tired of Johnny himself. It's really not that hard to figure out, is it?

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by
    #51

    Manzier, cool.

    Thanks for all the posts. I feel like part of the gang now. I'll never have the passion most of you guys have for the Browns, but I recognize that you love your team like I love the Ags.. And I will be rooting for Cleveland. Luckily the Texan game will be on where I am, and I hope you guys put a Beatdown on their ass.

  • Miktoxic, I totally get it, and I'm sorry if I added to the disgust. Remember, though, what you are getting here on this board are Aggies who are still fans of Johnny. Many Aggies are not, and were tired of his "antics". Many Aggies were hoping he would leave early, sad when you're talking about the best player to ever play at your school.

    Me, I think Johnny was a victim of his own success, and the media would just not let up on the constant coverage. For whatever reason, people must have been interested in the quick little dude that beat Bama. Now, you as Cleveland fans are dealing with all that coverage, but he's not even on the field... I get how it's a pain in the ass. But I think it will be worth it. Hope I'm right.

    Btw, I've always hated Pittsbuegh and Baltimore. Cincinnati, meh...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Miktoxic, I totally get it, and I'm sorry if I added to the disgust. Remember, though, what you are getting here on this board are Aggies who are still fans of Johnny. Many Aggies are not, and were tired of his "antics". Many Aggies were hoping he would leave early, sad when you're talking about the best player to ever play at your school.

    You mean Yale Lary?

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by
    #53

    Lary was great, but he was before my time. He was a great pro, but I don't think any Aggie has ever been close to what Johnny did while at A&M.

    26 games

    9,987 yards

    93 touchdowns

  • Lary was great, but he was before my time. He was a great pro, but I don't think any Aggie has ever been close to what Johnny did while at A&M.

    26 games

    9,987 yards

    93 touchdowns

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #54

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Lary was great, but he was before my time. He was a great pro, but I don't think any Aggie has ever been close to what Johnny did while at A&M.

    26 games

    9,987 yards

    93 touchdowns

    John David Crow? He may have accomplished as much....just in a different time. Maybe came as close in terms of wins, plus he too won the Heisman.

    And, FYI, of course Yale Lary didn't do what Johnny did.....he was an offensive lineman. But he is something that JFF may never be: Enshrined about 15 miles south of me.

    (but hell...sure, I hope he makes it as a member of the Browns)

    Also, here is something you need to be aware of: We don't care really about what Johnny did at A&M, so don't start with any of that. We only care about what he will do for the Cleveland Browns.

  • Yes yes another Aggie fan and Johnny Football follower, exactly what you all wanted. I've been lurking for a while now, and I understand how I'll be looked at by most on this board. Before you jump to conclusions, though, hear me out while I try to explain my, and other Aggies, point of view.

    Most on here probably don't know or care what an Aggie is, totally understandable. Well, we love football. We love it so much that we used to build a 60-70 foot bonfire every Fall and would light it just before we played our hated rivals, the Texas Longhorns.

    Fightin' Texas Aggie Bonfire was built solely by students, willing to work on weekends chopping down trees, carrying them out of the woods and loading them onto trucks to be transported onto campus. Then on campus, round-the-clock work would start transporting the logs to the stack site. Guys in harnesses wired in the logs on the higher stacks, sometimes 60 feet up on the 5th tier of logs.

    I had the priveledge of working on bonfire in the 80's, and I could never fully communicate the depth of that experience on me, the feeling of exhilaration after lifting and carrying a felled tree with your buddies that you never thought could be lifted, and the intense heat given off when bonfire was lit, even when standing hundreds of feet away. All this work done to represent "the burning desire to beat the hell outta" the Longhorns.

    Sadly, in 1999, the bonfire stack fell while being worked on, and 12 Aggies died.

    Fast forward to 2012. The Aggies are moving to the SEC, leaving behind our rivalry game with the Longhorns to battle the giants of the college football world-Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn. Many predicted the Aggies, 7-6 the year before with Ryan Tannehill, would fail resoundingly with a new qb, a new coach and a new powerful conference. Out of this negativity and onto the field then stepped Johnny Manziel.

    Many down here in TX knew who Johnny was from his amazing high school exploits, where he had already earned the nickname Johnny Football, because he did everything-- quarterback, receiver, running back, punt and kick returner, kicker. Famously, even with his amazing offensive numbers, Mack Brown recruited him to play safety for the Longhorns. Thank God, because Johnny grew up a Longhorn fan and surely would have played there had he been given the opportunity.

    I had never heard of Johnny until he took the field against Florida his first game ever in college and drove the Ags right down the field for a touchdown. The Ags lost that game to a very good Florida team, but Johnny would go on to have the greatest season ever as an Aggie, leading the Aggies to the best end-of-year ranking in my lifetime, fifth, and of course, winning the Heisman.

    For Johnny and the team to do what they did when immense failure was predicted and expected even by Aggies made it the greatest football season of my life, so he and the team will always be dear to me. I'm psyched that Mike Evans is doing well in Tampa. Christine Michael had some great runs for Seattle last week. But Johnny is on another level. I've never seen anything like him, and I doubt I will anytime soon. I mean, he lead the sec in rushing as a qb, for God sakes.

    Fast forward to the Browns. I admit, I was hoping Hoyer would lose the starting job and I would continue to get to watch Johnny be Johnny, but that hasn't happened. Hoyer has been very good, I've been quite impressed at his play, and there's no way he should be replaced by Johnny this year, and I think Johnny would say the same thing. Yes, he would say the same thing.

    Johnny wants to play, yes, its what he loves and what he's best at, but above all, he wants to win, and you should not discount the positive effect that I believe he's having on the team. By no means am I suggesting he is directly responsible for 6-4, but I guarantee he is working his ass off and being the best teammate he can be, which is probably surprising to many Browns players who expected "Johnny prima Donna" or "Johnny me me me". How do I know this? Because every teammate or coach he's ever had says the same thing about him.

    Sorry this has been so long, but I'll end with this. I think Johnny is gonna tear it up in rhe NFL, and I hope it's with the Browns. I could be wrong, maybe Johnny won't be as good in the NFL, maybe he's too small, too quick to take off from the pocket, and not fast enough compared to NFL speed. My money is on Johnny Football. Whether he is Johnny Clipboard the rest of this year, or something happens and he gets on the field, he will never disappoint you on the field or in the locker room.

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Yes yes another Aggie fan and Johnny Football follower, exactly what you all wanted. I've been lurking for a while now, and I understand how I'll be looked at by most on this board. Before you jump to conclusions, though, hear me out while I try to explain my, and other Aggies, point of view.

    Most on here probably don't know or care what an Aggie is, totally understandable. Well, we love football. We love it so much that we used to build a 60-70 foot bonfire every Fall and would light it just before we played our hated rivals, the Texas Longhorns.

    Fightin' Texas Aggie Bonfire was built solely by students, willing to work on weekends chopping down trees, carrying them out of the woods and loading them onto trucks to be transported onto campus. Then on campus, round-the-clock work would start transporting the logs to the stack site. Guys in harnesses wired in the logs on the higher stacks, sometimes 60 feet up on the 5th tier of logs.

    I had the priveledge of working on bonfire in the 80's, and I could never fully communicate the depth of that experience on me, the feeling of exhilaration after lifting and carrying a felled tree with your buddies that you never thought could be lifted, and the intense heat given off when bonfire was lit, even when standing hundreds of feet away. All this work done to represent "the burning desire to beat the hell outta" the Longhorns.

    Sadly, in 1999, the bonfire stack fell while being worked on, and 12 Aggies died.

    Fast forward to 2012. The Aggies are moving to the SEC, leaving behind our rivalry game with the Longhorns to battle the giants of the college football world-Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn. Many predicted the Aggies, 7-6 the year before with Ryan Tannehill, would fail resoundingly with a new qb, a new coach and a new powerful conference. Out of this negativity and onto the field then stepped Johnny Manziel.

    Many down here in TX knew who Johnny was from his amazing high school exploits, where he had already earned the nickname Johnny Football, because he did everything-- quarterback, receiver, running back, punt and kick returner, kicker. Famously, even with his amazing offensive numbers, Mack Brown recruited him to play safety for the Longhorns. Thank God, because Johnny grew up a Longhorn fan and surely would have played there had he been given the opportunity.

    I had never heard of Johnny until he took the field against Florida his first game ever in college and drove the Ags right down the field for a touchdown. The Ags lost that game to a very good Florida team, but Johnny would go on to have the greatest season ever as an Aggie, leading the Aggies to the best end-of-year ranking in my lifetime, fifth, and of course, winning the Heisman.

    For Johnny and the team to do what they did when immense failure was predicted and expected even by Aggies made it the greatest football season of my life, so he and the team will always be dear to me. I'm psyched that Mike Evans is doing well in Tampa. Christine Michael had some great runs for Seattle last week. But Johnny is on another level. I've never seen anything like him, and I doubt I will anytime soon. I mean, he lead the sec in rushing as a qb, for God sakes.

    Fast forward to the Browns. I admit, I was hoping Hoyer would lose the starting job and I would continue to get to watch Johnny be Johnny, but that hasn't happened. Hoyer has been very good, I've been quite impressed at his play, and there's no way he should be replaced by Johnny this year, and I think Johnny would say the same thing. Yes, he would say the same thing.

    Johnny wants to play, yes, its what he loves and what he's best at, but above all, he wants to win, and you should not discount the positive effect that I believe he's having on the team. By no means am I suggesting he is directly responsible for 6-4, but I guarantee he is working his ass off and being the best teammate he can be, which is probably surprising to many Browns players who expected "Johnny prima Donna" or "Johnny me me me". How do I know this? Because every teammate or coach he's ever had says the same thing about him.

    Sorry this has been so long, but I'll end with this. I think Johnny is gonna tear it up in rhe NFL, and I hope it's with the Browns. I could be wrong, maybe Johnny won't be as good in the NFL, maybe he's too small, too quick to take off from the pocket, and not fast enough compared to NFL speed. My money is on Johnny Football. Whether he is Johnny Clipboard the rest of this year, or something happens and he gets on the field, he will never disappoint you on the field or in the locker room.

    Your a JFF fan.. got it...

  • @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Lary was great, but he was before my time. He was a great pro, but I don't think any Aggie has ever been close to what Johnny did while at A&M.

    26 games

    9,987 yards

    93 touchdowns

    John David Crow? He may have accomplished as much....just in a different time. Maybe came as close in terms of wins, plus he too won the Heisman.

    And, FYI, of course Yale Lary didn't do what Johnny did.....he was an offensive lineman. But he is something that JFF may never be: Enshrined about 15 miles south of me.

    (but hell...sure, I hope he makes it as a member of the Browns)

    Also, here is something you need to be aware of: We don't care really about what Johnny did at A&M, so don't start with any of that. We only care about what he will do for the Cleveland Browns.

    ManzierM Manzier wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @the-gipper said:

    We only care about what he will do for the Cleveland Browns.

    AND....we no longer care to speculate on what he might do, so will patiently wait to see him play before we draw conclusions.

    Come back in a year or 2 and well have something to talk about....k?

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by
    #57

    I've not said what Johnny will do, just showing he was a "greater" Aggie than Lary. Greater than Crow, too. Crow won the Heisman with 562 rushing yards, 6 td's and 5 int's in 7 games. Awesome for his time.

  • @the-gipper said:

    We only care about what he will do for the Cleveland Browns.

    AND....we no longer care to speculate on what he might do, so will patiently wait to see him play before we draw conclusions.

    Come back in a year or 2 and well have something to talk about....k?

    upper lipU upper lip wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @manzier said:

    AND....we no longer care to speculate on what he might do, so will patiently wait to see him play before we draw conclusions.

    Come back in a year or 2 and well have something to talk about....k?

    What will we be talking about in a year or 2? I certainly hope you don't mean Johnny Manziel

  • I've not said what Johnny will do, just showing he was a "greater" Aggie than Lary. Greater than Crow, too. Crow won the Heisman with 562 rushing yards, 6 td's and 5 int's in 7 games. Awesome for his time.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    I've not said what Johnny will do, just showing he was a "greater" Aggie than Lary. Greater than Crow, too. Crow won the Heisman with 562 rushing yards, 6 td's and 5 int's in 7 games. Awesome for his time.

    Yale Lary is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. JFF will only match his greatness if and when he wears that yellow jacket.

    Again "Aggieness" is totally irrelevent here. Don't bring it up again. No one here now cares what he did there.

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by
    #60

    Not talking about "Aggieness". Talking about the best Aggie football player ever. Not saying what he'll do in the pros. Johnny was better AS AN AGGIE than anyone ever has been. In my opinion, and many others.

    I saw that Pettine said Johnny has "come a long way", but what does he know? He's probably just a Johnny fanboy, right?

  • Not talking about "Aggieness". Talking about the best Aggie football player ever. Not saying what he'll do in the pros. Johnny was better AS AN AGGIE than anyone ever has been. In my opinion, and many others.

    I saw that Pettine said Johnny has "come a long way", but what does he know? He's probably just a Johnny fanboy, right?

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Not talking about "Aggieness". Talking about the best Aggie football player ever. Not saying what he'll do in the pros. Johnny was better AS AN AGGIE than anyone ever has been. In my opinion, and many others.

    Someone oughta come up with an Aggie football board, where you can talk to people who give a shit.

    Zombo

  • @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Not talking about "Aggieness". Talking about the best Aggie football player ever. Not saying what he'll do in the pros. Johnny was better AS AN AGGIE than anyone ever has been. In my opinion, and many others.

    Someone oughta come up with an Aggie football board, where you can talk to people who give a shit.

    Zombo

    darkside5D darkside5 wrote on last edited by
    #62

    Zombo said:

    Someone oughta come up with an Aggie football board, where you can talk to people who give a shit.

    Zombo

    There is an Aggie football board, No one there gives a shit either

  • Zombo said:

    Someone oughta come up with an Aggie football board, where you can talk to people who give a shit.

    Zombo

    There is an Aggie football board, No one there gives a shit either

    upper lipU upper lip wrote on last edited by upper lip
    #63

    @darkside5 said:

    There is an Aggie football board, No one there gives a shit either

    Exactly. These Johnny people are fucking weirdos. They're a mix between sociopathic, autistic, and ultra gay. They're worse than the teenage girls with the pretty boy singers/bands

  • Manzier, cool.

    Thanks for all the posts. I feel like part of the gang now. I'll never have the passion most of you guys have for the Browns, but I recognize that you love your team like I love the Ags.. And I will be rooting for Cleveland. Luckily the Texan game will be on where I am, and I hope you guys put a Beatdown on their ass.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #64

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Thanks for all the posts. I feel like part of the gang now. I'll never have the passion most of you guys have for the Browns, but I recognize that you love your team like I love the Ags.. And I will be rooting for Cleveland. Luckily the Texan game will be on where I am, and I hope you guys put a Beatdown on their ass.

    I like this ^ one better... and it only took about 18 posts... 😉

    Whoop!

  • @aggie-brown-fan said:

    Thanks for all the posts. I feel like part of the gang now. I'll never have the passion most of you guys have for the Browns, but I recognize that you love your team like I love the Ags.. And I will be rooting for Cleveland. Luckily the Texan game will be on where I am, and I hope you guys put a Beatdown on their ass.

    I like this ^ one better... and it only took about 18 posts... 😉

    Whoop!

    IbleedbrownI Ibleedbrown wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @tour2ma said:

    I like this ^ one better... and it only took about 18 posts... 😉

    Whoop!

    I'll second that, and congratulate you on passing your first round of hazing.

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by
    #66

    Thanks ibb, tour2ma, I definitely got the lay of the land.

  • H HoundDawg wrote on last edited by
    #67

    Well, that's a lovely Aggie story. Good for you guys to have that story.

    But let me tell you one. A guy from Cleveland that nobody else wanted shows up on the field last season and sparks this offense like we hadn't seen in years. And like nearly every season before it, the minute we get a little hope, our hearts are broken as that guy is carted off the field for the season and we have an already ruined first round QB and a dipshit first round QB sitting behind him. We go ahead and win that game, in part, I believe, on a high from winning the two previous and on a mission to do it for that undrafted QB that gave us a glimmer of hope. Our leader taken away we go on to lose all but one game after that. He vows to return the following season by working his ass off to get back. He proceeds about that goal and then gets the news he is going to have to battle for his rehab, and battle with a larger than life, cocky, media circus named Johnny F'n Football. His fans come charging into our domain telling all of us how lucky we were to get him. All during the off season we watch this young kid go to party after party, post drunken videos on the internet, and show up for camp not knowing the playbook all the while everyone constantly predicting that this kid is going to easily steal the job out from under hometown guy whose been doing nothing but keeping his nose to the grind. Working.

    So our hometown guy battles through all that and is named the starter. Only everyone was certain he was only the sacrificial lamb for the first three games. Just to go ahead and give up those three games and get Johnny ready after the bye. Yet again, hoyer proves everyone wrong by playing tough in those first three games and earning his keep. Doing so with stupid gadget trick plays to showcase the guy who didn't do the work in the offseason. And it still continues, although the noise has died down considerably, we still get to see these self proclaimed experts on stats tell us how our guy sucks and will never amount to anything as an NFL QB and we should sacrifice this season to see what Johnny has. Only thing is, we have watched Hoyer overcome obstacle after obstacle and prove over and over again we can trust him to put in the work, and the guts, and the heart to get the job done. We're winning in November for the first time in years.

    So yea, some of us are a bit defensive with the Johnny lovers. We've endured the losing Browns for 15 years, not you. Not Johnny. I don't question Johnny's athletic ability at all. I think he's very talented. I do, however, question his work ethic, and his maturity level. And that's not MY fault. He hasn't earned the trust yet. Hoyer has. With Hoyer as our leader we get good press for winning and shocking the NFL. With Johnny we got tons and tons of media coverage, only not exactly the good kind. I don't know how you expect some of us to feel any other way. Cause YOU and his hoard of adolescent fans say we should just trust him and he's our savior?

  • A Aggie Brown fan wrote on last edited by
    #68

    1. Hoyer. Hoyer's been great. Great kid, great story. I'm happy for him and Brown fans.

    2. Manziel work ethic. You are wrong, Johnny works hard. Every coach and teammate he's ever had says so. He goes to Vegas for 4 days in the offseason, and the whole world assumes all he does is party. He doesn't. Maybe his work ethic is just as good as Hoyer's, but Hoyer has a 5 or 6 year head start in the league, and that's why Hoyer won the job. It makes good sense, no arguing that. If he keeps winning, Johnny probably gets traded.

    Notice that I haven't once said Johnny should replace Hoyer, I've said the opposite. Hoyer was obviously the right choice, but not because Johnny hasn't worked hard or partied too much, but simply because it's hard to start as a rookie qb, hard to "know" an offense in 4 months.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #69

    Sorry... there collegiate "works hard" and then there's NFL "works hard"...