RG3
-
-
i remember plenty of people on here screaming that we didn't make the call to trade whatever was necessary to get rg3.
but yes that draft had me stoopdified as to how we drafted, especially our first 2 picks. weeden instead of decastro still pisses me off.
i remember plenty of people on here screaming that we didn't make the call to trade whatever was necessary to get rg3.
but yes that draft had me stoopdified as to how we drafted, especially our first 2 picks. weeden instead of decastro still pisses me off.
I was convinced they were picking Riley Reiff, I had already booked it in my head. Hearing them say Brandon Weedwn ruined my night.
-
i remember plenty of people on here screaming that we didn't make the call to trade whatever was necessary to get rg3.
but yes that draft had me stoopdified as to how we drafted, especially our first 2 picks. weeden instead of decastro still pisses me off.
I was convinced they were picking Riley Reiff, I had already booked it in my head. Hearing them say Brandon Weedwn ruined my night.
I was convinced they were picking Riley Reiff, I had already booked it in my head. Hearing them say Brandon Weedwn ruined my night.
there was no real 'jump for joy' on the forum when they picked weeden. more like a question mark. but we had had OL troubles then....but holmgren the destroyer loves him some QBs.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
I think opinions on rivalries are always biased depending on which team you follow. I am not sure why you believe the Cowboys/Skins is phony. Maybe because the Cowboys have dominated them for year? I think your definition of a rivalry might be different than mine.
I say it is phony because it is made up. It is a TV rivalry, created just so TV could hype it. Yes, George Allen hyped up his players to get his players on edge for this game because the Redskins had been shitty for like 25 years before he got there, and the Cowboys under Tom Landry were the good team at that time. But that is not the basis of a real rivalry. They are rivals because they happen to be in the same division (which they shouldn't be), but are no more rivals really than the Giants/Eagles or Redskins/Eagles or Eagles/Cowboys or Redskins/Giants.
-
i remember plenty of people on here screaming that we didn't make the call to trade whatever was necessary to get rg3.
but yes that draft had me stoopdified as to how we drafted, especially our first 2 picks. weeden instead of decastro still pisses me off.
I was convinced they were picking Riley Reiff, I had already booked it in my head. Hearing them say Brandon Weedwn ruined my night.
I was convinced they were picking Riley Reiff, I had already booked it in my head. Hearing them say Brandon Weedwn ruined my night.
That's right... he was there, and for a moment I thought my choosing Rieff in our Board mock would be vindicated.
-
Of course I don't hate the Redskins nearly as badly as the Cowboys or the Eagles.
WSS
Why do you hate the fucking Eagles? (are you talking about the band....or the football team?)
Why do you hate the fucking Eagles? (are you talking about the band....or the football team?)
Whichever that has Chip Kelly.
WSS
-
@everlastingxxx said:
What is your definition of a real rivalry?
One based on geography, similar fan bases. Like Pittsburg/Cleveland, Chicago/Green Bay There is neither a geographical connection nor a fan base similarity between these two teams in my opinion.
Jason Hatcher, a former Cowboy (now a Redskin) had this to say before the game:
βEverywhere you go, grocery store or whatever, these guys, theyβre hard-nosed fans. They know their players. Itβs all you hear wherever you go, man. Facebook, Twitter, whatever youβre on, they hate Dallas. They got signs up everywhere down here. Itβll be great for the fans to experience a great Monday night game with a big rivalry. Itβs great for the fans.β
I think you are off base with your assessment of the Cowboys/Skins rivalry. I think your agenda of re-arranging divisions is blinding you. The NFC East should never be touched. Classic rivalries and traditions you shouldnt mess with.
What I am saying is that when I grew up, there was NO such thing as a Cowboys/Redskins rivalry. It was NOT an organic thing. It was made up by George Allen so he could rile up a heretofore loser team and blase fan base. If, in the 70s the NY Giants or Philadelphia Eagles were the good team then Allen would have revved that team up for them, and not for the Cowboys.
You know who was the bigger rivalries for the Cowboys in the 60s: The Browns and the Packers! And to a lesser extent the Cardinals, because that was the closest team to Dallas. The Browns and the Cowboys were in the same division for a period, and in 1967, 1968 and 1969 they met in the playoffs each of those years. The Browns won 2 and the Cowboys one. But then Modell took the money to go to the AFC and that killed off that competition.
When the realignment occurred in 1970 the Cowboys were put into a division with the Cardinals, Giants, Eagles, Redskins. The Cardinals were good initially, and that was the Cowboys closest rivals.....until George Allen showed up on the Redskins doorsteps and made them a good team. So, yes, the rivalry was based simply on the fact that the Cowboys and Redskins vied for supremacy of that division for the next half dozen or so years.
It is similar to the Ravens/Steeler rivalry, or the Colts/Pats. It was based on competition, not history. The Ravens and Steelers have been the predominate team in this AFCN for over a decade now. It is only the Browns and Bengals futility at not being good that allowed that rivalry to develop. If the Browns had been any good, rest assured, they would be seen as the Steelers main rivals, not Baltimore. The Browns, in Steeler fans hearts are still the main rival. Why do you think they are here so much.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
I think opinions on rivalries are always biased depending on which team you follow. I am not sure why you believe the Cowboys/Skins is phony. Maybe because the Cowboys have dominated them for year? I think your definition of a rivalry might be different than mine.
I say it is phony because it is made up. It is a TV rivalry, created just so TV could hype it. Yes, George Allen hyped up his players to get his players on edge for this game because the Redskins had been shitty for like 25 years before he got there, and the Cowboys under Tom Landry were the good team at that time. But that is not the basis of a real rivalry. They are rivals because they happen to be in the same division (which they shouldn't be), but are no more rivals really than the Giants/Eagles or Redskins/Eagles or Eagles/Cowboys or Redskins/Giants.
I say it is phony because it is made up. It is a TV rivalry, created just so TV could hype it. Yes, George Allen hyped up his players to get his players on edge for this game because the Redskins had been shitty for like 25 years before he got there, and the Cowboys under Tom Landry were the good team at that time. But that is not the basis of a real rivalry. They are rivals because they happen to be in the same division (which they shouldn't be), but are no more rivals really than the Giants/Eagles or Redskins/Eagles or Eagles/Cowboys or Redskins/Giants.
I see your point about a media generated rivalry, that may have been how it started, but this is a HUGE rivalry. I have a lot of respect for skins fans living in DC the last few years. They are not browns fan loyal and crazy, but they are close. They hate the cowboys as much was we hate the steelers. And regardless of how the rivalry started, it's become one of the biggest in the NFL.
-
@everlastingxxx said:
I didnt know that. Interesting!
We were one the 'Boys earliest rivalries as we met in the playoffs a few times in DAL's developmental years.
It's when I learned to hate the Cowboys...
-
@everlastingxxx said:
My first memory of the Cowboys, i must have been 8 or younger. They were playing the Redskins and my dad (insane Cowboy fan), asked if i wanted to double my money. He owned me like 18 bucks from doing house choirs. All i had to do was go for the Skins. I was greedy and agreed. Well, Dallas won and i remember crying afterwards. He said, thats was you get for going against the Cowboys.
I tried that same tactic on my little boy but he is still a Texan fan. Cant shake it off him, lol
Damn your family has some shitty taste in football teams....what happened to you?
-
well dallas gets a knock right off the bat with whoever claimed them to be 'america's team'. you know every other team in the NFL hates that label, correct? and when people say they have a nation of fans it's true........all bandwagon. how does someone growing up in ohio or ny become a dallas fan? the same way they do growing up to be a stooler fan. they are kids and they like the super bowl champs and proclaim them as their team. no loyalty to city or state. just the aura of a super bowl winner. i'm surprised half the fans have hung on as long as they have going through the??th years of not making it to the playoffs.
BUT yes as a rivalry i remember as a kid 40 some odd years ago the fans of the redskins dressed up with the snout-nosed women and one fan (a black guy....can i say that? lol) dressed up in a redskin colored velvet one-piece with beads and a hat and when dallas came into washington the shit went off the hook.
but that's when football was football. not this pussy assed shit we're seeing nowadays.
and jerrah must suck a mean cock to have the lifelong contract for thanksgiving day football. what a scam. them and detroit. who gives them the right?
-
@everlastingxxx said:
Oh stop it, you sound silly. Best rivalry in football. NFC Beast should never be touched. Oh and Cowboys belong on Thanksgiving and will always be Americas Team.

Why don't you ask America if the cowboys are America's team? I seem to recall a poll and the only state that agreed with the cowboys being Americas team was Texas.
-
The traditional Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit has been a tradition since like 1934. Glomming on to that....and knowing that USA football fans wanted more NFL on Turkey Day, the Cowboys took up the tradition of having a second game. The Lions game ended at like 3:00 pm, and fans wanted more than just a college game.
I believe, actually, that Texas and Texas A&M played frequently on T-Day.
Now, I believe we have retained the "traditional" Detroit and Dallas Thanksgiving Day games and have added a third at night, which moves around to various cities.
-
The traditional Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit has been a tradition since like 1934. Glomming on to that....and knowing that USA football fans wanted more NFL on Turkey Day, the Cowboys took up the tradition of having a second game. The Lions game ended at like 3:00 pm, and fans wanted more than just a college game.
I believe, actually, that Texas and Texas A&M played frequently on T-Day.
Now, I believe we have retained the "traditional" Detroit and Dallas Thanksgiving Day games and have added a third at night, which moves around to various cities.
@everlastingxxx said:
My first memory of the Cowboys, i must have been 8 or younger. They were playing the Redskins and my dad (insane Cowboy fan), asked if i wanted to double my money. He owned me like 18 bucks from doing house choirs. All i had to do was go for the Skins. I was greedy and agreed. Well, Dallas won and i remember crying afterwards. He said, thatβs was you get for going against the Cowboys.
I feel you. I, too, have cried a few times after gambling...
The traditional Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit has been a tradition since like 1934.
POP QUIZ: How many times have the Browns played on Thanksgiving Day?
-
@everlastingxxx said:
My first memory of the Cowboys, i must have been 8 or younger. They were playing the Redskins and my dad (insane Cowboy fan), asked if i wanted to double my money. He owned me like 18 bucks from doing house choirs. All i had to do was go for the Skins. I was greedy and agreed. Well, Dallas won and i remember crying afterwards. He said, thatβs was you get for going against the Cowboys.
I feel you. I, too, have cried a few times after gambling...
The traditional Thanksgiving Day game in Detroit has been a tradition since like 1934.
POP QUIZ: How many times have the Browns played on Thanksgiving Day?
-
Crap. Too bad the Browns didn't trade their draft for this
franchise qb who would have taken them to the superbowl
all by himself.
ha.
Crap. Too bad the Browns didn't trade their draft for this
franchise qb who would have taken them to the superbowl
all by himself.
ha.
Once again it proves foolish to trade away draft picks for one player.
May go down as one of the worst draft day trades in the history of the NFL. Wow, did the Browns dodge a bullet. I said at the time it was crazy to give up that much for one player.
@everlastingxxx said:
Oh stop it, you sound silly. Best rivalry in football. NFC Beast should never be touched. Oh and Cowboys belong on Thanksgiving and will always be Americas Team.

I've always said the Cowboys are South America's team. Everyone outside of Texas hates that label with a passion.
Regarding the Redskins rivalry. Jerry should have let it go. By all rights, the Cowboys should be in the NFC South, or West. The Browns gave up a heated rivalry with the Giants (Jim Brown vs Sam Huff was legendary) when they switched conferences. BTW, MHO is the Ravens belong in the AFC East.
-
Crap. Too bad the Browns didn't trade their draft for this
franchise qb who would have taken them to the superbowl
all by himself.
ha.
Once again it proves foolish to trade away draft picks for one player.
May go down as one of the worst draft day trades in the history of the NFL. Wow, did the Browns dodge a bullet. I said at the time it was crazy to give up that much for one player.
@everlastingxxx said:
Oh stop it, you sound silly. Best rivalry in football. NFC Beast should never be touched. Oh and Cowboys belong on Thanksgiving and will always be Americas Team.

I've always said the Cowboys are South America's team. Everyone outside of Texas hates that label with a passion.
Regarding the Redskins rivalry. Jerry should have let it go. By all rights, the Cowboys should be in the NFC South, or West. The Browns gave up a heated rivalry with the Giants (Jim Brown vs Sam Huff was legendary) when they switched conferences. BTW, MHO is the Ravens belong in the AFC East.
-
Crap. Too bad the Browns didn't trade their draft for this
franchise qb who would have taken them to the superbowl
all by himself.
ha.
Once again it proves foolish to trade away draft picks for one player.
May go down as one of the worst draft day trades in the history of the NFL. Wow, did the Browns dodge a bullet. I said at the time it was crazy to give up that much for one player.
@everlastingxxx said:
Oh stop it, you sound silly. Best rivalry in football. NFC Beast should never be touched. Oh and Cowboys belong on Thanksgiving and will always be Americas Team.

I've always said the Cowboys are South America's team. Everyone outside of Texas hates that label with a passion.
Regarding the Redskins rivalry. Jerry should have let it go. By all rights, the Cowboys should be in the NFC South, or West. The Browns gave up a heated rivalry with the Giants (Jim Brown vs Sam Huff was legendary) when they switched conferences. BTW, MHO is the Ravens belong in the AFC East.
May go down as one of the worst draft day trades in the history of the NFL. Wow, did the Browns dodge a bullet. I said at the time it was crazy to give up that much for one player.
I've always said the Cowboys are South America's team. Everyone outside of Texas hates that label with a passion.
Regarding the Redskins rivalry. Jerry should have let it go. By all rights, the Cowboys should be in the NFC South, or West. The Browns gave up a heated rivalry with the Giants (Jim Brown vs Sam Huff was legendary) when they switched conferences. BTW, MHO is the Ravens belong in the AFC East.
Better: put the Ravens in the NFC East, the Colts in the AFCN, and the Cowboys in the AFCS....with the Texans.
Or if you don't want teams switching confereces: Ravens to AFCE, Miami to AFCS, Colts to AFCN
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login