Skip to content

Playoff qualifications

The Browns Board
40 26 1.6k
  • Division winners should get in no matter their record, yes its unfair, but oh well that's the way it works and the way it should work.

    @winstonlegthigh said:

    Division winners should get in no matter their record, yes its unfair, but oh well that's the way it works and the way it should work.

    When there were 30 teams in the league there were 6 divisions of 5 teams each...three in each conference. That worked really. When the league went to 32 teams that dynamic changed to even up the divisions as with 6 divisions you had 2 that had more teams than the other. Putting only 4 teams in a division was ultimately going to lead to teams with losing records winning divisions. It happened with Seattle a few years ago, and it is pretty sure to happen again this year. The NFCS still has a lot of games to play amongst itself. Perhaps one team will step up and go on a run. How about those Saints. As part of their run they can go beat the Steelers.

  • What if the NFC South winner gets hot in the playoffs and goes on to win the Super Bowl??

    Unlikely, but how mad would that make you? Or, would you be happy for them?

  • Well when Seattle did it a couple Yeats ago didn't they go fairly deep? I know they at least won their first game.

  • The playoffs should be the top 6 teams by record. The divisions should only be to simplify the scheduling process.

  • The playoffs should be the top 6 teams by record. The divisions should only be to simplify the scheduling process.

    @columbusking said:

    The playoffs should be the top 6 teams by record. The divisions should only be to simplify the scheduling process.

    Just get rid of the divisions. Have 2 conferences with 16 teams. Top 6 teams in each conference get in

    The schedule wouldn't be that difficult to do. Each team plays each other team from their conference once and then 1 game against a team from the other conference.

  • It's pretty dumb that a team would get a chance to win a championship when they can't even win more games than they lose during the regular season.

  • Is the system kinda messed up? Yes, of course. But, it is what it is. Win your division if you want to go. All this talk of it being unfair is a losing mentality. We need to win this fucker and not worry about anything else. Beat Cincy, Beat Baltimore and don't lose any more games and we'll be there, ready to kick some ass.

    They need to redo the divisions and take Baltimore away from us soon. It's a painful reminder each and every game and we have moved on. Fuck them, give us someone else to play and if they want a piece, see them bitches in the Playoffs. What's bullshit is that for once we are doing really well and all these other fucks want to get in our way. MOOOVEEE BITCHESSS - Get the fuck out the WAAAYYY!! It's OUR turn Motherfuckers!

  • Of the top of your head, does anyone know what the best record to not make the nfl playoffs is?

  • Of the top of your head, does anyone know what the best record to not make the nfl playoffs is?

    @mikethomas777 said:

    Of the top of your head, does anyone know what the best record to not make the nfl playoffs is?

    11-5 i believe since there have been 16 games. I know it happened to the broncos in the 80s and could have happened to the cards last year if they won their last one (they would have had a chance at 11-5 but not a clinch I think)

    I think 7-9 is the worse to make it, but don't quote me on it (3-13 is worst possible to win a division if you split with your division mates)

  • @mikethomas777 said:

    Of the top of your head, does anyone know what the best record to not make the nfl playoffs is?

    11-5 i believe since there have been 16 games. I know it happened to the broncos in the 80s and could have happened to the cards last year if they won their last one (they would have had a chance at 11-5 but not a clinch I think)

    I think 7-9 is the worse to make it, but don't quote me on it (3-13 is worst possible to win a division if you split with your division mates)

    @bbedward said:

    11-5 i believe since there have been 16 games. I know it happened to the broncos in the 80s and could have happened to the cards last year if they won their last one (they would have had a chance at 11-5 but not a clinch I think)

    I think 7-9 is the worse to make it, but don't quote me on it (3-13 is worst possible to win a division if you split with your division mates)

    The Pats the year Matt Cassell took over for Brady when he was hurt went 11-5 and missed the playoffs.

    Teams with very good records would miss the playoffs in the pre Super Bowl days because only two teams made the playoffs. (but they didn't have 16 games to play)

  • I realize this topic might set some fans on fire, but to me, its all about being logical. To me, if a team has a winning record of 9-7 or better, that team should be eligable for a playoff spot, unless there is other teams with more confrence wins. Now then, being that the NFC South division has all losing records, who ever has the best record in that division, will be that division champs, nothing else. If other teams in that Conf. has a better record than you, then they should be eligable more than you. Just because you have the best record in your division, shouldnt grant you a playoff spot over a team that has a better record than you.

    The name of the game folks is plain and simple. Just win games. Dont favor a team over a team with a better record.

  • Doing it your way does introduce a lot of schedule bias though - for example, the AFC north is 10-1-1 against the NFC South, so we get nice stat-padding wins there, whereas other divisions are a lot more even.

    I'm not saying the current system is perfect, but it's the one we have, and unless you want to do it fairly by, say, merging divisions in to 4 8-team groups and then having everyone play everyone within their own division, then the top two teams from each going through, you might as well stick with the current system.

  • After the Browns were eliminated in 2007 at 10-6, I thought they changed the rules that year. The Titans went to the playoffs at 9-7 because the Colts didn't play Manning the last game. What happened to the rule change? Or maybe I'm mistaken.

  • After the Browns were eliminated in 2007 at 10-6, I thought they changed the rules that year. The Titans went to the playoffs at 9-7 because the Colts didn't play Manning the last game. What happened to the rule change? Or maybe I'm mistaken.

    @opal312 said:

    After the Browns were eliminated in 2007 at 10-6, I thought they changed the rules that year. The Titans went to the playoffs at 9-7 because the Colts didn't play Manning the last game. What happened to the rule change? Or maybe I'm mistaken.

    The Titans were 10-6 as well, won the tiebreaker vs. us that year. I still hate Tony Dungy for that, resting his starters. I was happy they got bounced at home in their divisional playoff that season.

    They never changed the rules. I think Gipper mentioned this (in another thread) is the product of eight divisions with 4 teams- it's possible for a losing team to emerge as a division champion once in awhile.

    The AFC North "cellar dweller" may be 10-6 this season, crazy.

  • I remember that. That's the season bigfoot Derek Anderson crapped his pants at Cincy with 4 interceptions. I almost smashed my TV...

  • Division winners should get in no matter their record, yes its unfair, but oh well that's the way it works and the way it should work.

    @winstonlegthigh said:

    Division winners should get in no matter their record, yes its unfair, but oh well that's the way it works and the way it should work.

    I disagree it should work like that. I think the top teams in ALL the NFL should enter the playoffs.

  • How do you feel about a team that has a losing record of 8-8 or worse, and still get in the playoffs, only because they have the better record in their division. Such as the NFC South. How do you feel about the chances of a team making it in the playoffs with a record of 8-8 or worse, and a team with a record of 10-6 or 9-7 not making it in because their division record? What should be the cut off record of making it in to the playoffs, 10-6, 9-7, or 8-8?

    @brownsfaninpa said:

    How do you feel about a team that has a losing record of 8-8 or worse, and still get in the playoffs, only because they have the better record in their division. Such as the NFC South. How do you feel about the chances of a team making it in the playoffs with a record of 8-8 or worse, and a team with a record of 10-6 or 9-7 not making it in because their division record? What should be the cut off record of making it in to the playoffs, 10-6, 9-7, or 8-8?

    It really doesn't matter how I feel. Win your division, you are in, the record doesn't matter.

    It is what it is.

  • Dumb idea, you would lose all the divison rivalries. It makes the game more intersting. Any given sunday and all that. Be realistic. So what if a suck team makes it in the playoffs.

    Keep current system

    Division rivalries rock

    Top six would suck balls

  • Dumb idea, you would lose all the divison rivalries. It makes the game more intersting. Any given sunday and all that. Be realistic. So what if a suck team makes it in the playoffs.

    Keep current system

    Division rivalries rock

    Top six would suck balls

    @kvoethe said:

    Dumb idea, you would lose all the divison rivalries. It makes the game more intersting. Any given sunday and all that. Be realistic. So what if a suck team makes it in the playoffs.

    Keep current system

    Division rivalries rock

    Top six would suck balls

    Maybe between division winners 3,4 and wild cards 1,2 home field should be based on record, then the usual tie breakers after that. But I agree division winners should be in regardless. It never works to our advantage because of how tough our division is, but maybe some day it will.

  • @mikethomas777 said:

    Of the top of your head, does anyone know what the best record to not make the nfl playoffs is?

    11-5 i believe since there have been 16 games. I know it happened to the broncos in the 80s and could have happened to the cards last year if they won their last one (they would have had a chance at 11-5 but not a clinch I think)

    I think 7-9 is the worse to make it, but don't quote me on it (3-13 is worst possible to win a division if you split with your division mates)

    @bbedward said:

    11-5 i believe since there have been 16 games. I know it happened to the broncos in the 80s and could have happened to the cards last year if they won their last one (they would have had a chance at 11-5 but not a clinch I think)

    I think 7-9 is the worse to make it, but don't quote me on it (3-13 is worst possible to win a division if you split with your division mates)

    True. And on the flip side wouldn't it suck donkey balls to go 13-3 and miss the playoffs?