Skip to content

I know you guys don't like last years draft hindsight threads...

The Browns Board
52 18 2.4k
  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    1,000 yard rusher Justin Forsett? With back-to-back-to-back 100+ yard games?

    When we get a back that does that, let me know.

    Secondly, holding an opposing team to 90 yards on 15 carries isn't "holding" then at all. That's a 6.0 YPC. That's getting run all over. Baltimore didn't get stopped on the ground, they just didn't choose to run the ball.

    Blue was held to 40 yards on 11 carries against Oakland, you're right. Because Foster rushed for 138 yards and a TD on 28 carries that game. Blue was the change of pace, not the starting RB like he was against us.

    31% of Blue's season yards were against the Browns, that is a solid point. But that's probably because 30% of his total season carries were also against Cleveland. The guy has been a full-time, full workload back for one game this season - against Cleveland. Outside of his 36 carry game against Cleveland, he's never carried the ball more than 16 times this season.

    Stats are good...but don't try and skew them to suit your argument.

    We have a young defense that has had key injuries in the front seven. That's hard to overcome. That's doesn't make it a bad defense, that makes it an unfortunate one.

    1) Was it Forsett that gouged us specifically though?

    2) So by your argument, give any bum off the street enough carries and he'll carve our defense up? Well why don't we call guys out of the stands on sunday then...seems like a solid plan. Should be fine.

    3) I understand we've had injuries, but this goes back to game 1. There's something amiss with our run defense and I'm the first to admit I have zero clue what it is...scheme or personnel or both. No idea. Can't figure it out. On Sunday at least though, Robertson was sniffing the gaps. First time I've seen one of our ILB'ers really meet guys in the hole for coffee and pleasantries. First time. If it was me I'd keep him there even if Dansby came back.

    @clevfan4life said:

    1) Was it Forsett that gouged us specifically though?

    2) So by your argument, give any bum off the street enough carries and he'll carve our defense up? Well why don't we call guys out of the stands on sunday then...seems like a solid plan. Should be fine.

    3) I understand we've had injuries, but this goes back to game 1. There's something amiss with our run defense and I'm the first to admit I have zero clue what it is...scheme or personnel or both. No idea. Can't figure it out. On Sunday at least though, Robertson was sniffing the gaps. First time I've seen one of our ILB'ers really meet guys in the hole for coffee and pleasantries. First time. If it was me I'd keep him there even if Dansby came back.

    No, it was specifically Zo Taliaferro- a tremendously skilled runningback from Coastal Carolina, and I'd love to see anyone say any different.

    My argument is that these guys aren't just any "bums off the street". The illogical and off-base thinking of many fans, including a whole handful of posters here, is that a player is "garbage" or "practice squad worthy" if he wasn't taken in the first two rounds or he's not an active, every game starter. Taliaferro is averaging 4.2 YPC and Blue is averaging 3.5. These aren't world beaters by any means, but they are more than "practice squad bums" and to call them as such is not only a disservice to them, it's a disservice to our defense.

    Our run defense isn't the best, I know that. At times our LB's have been nowhere to be found and we're often still suffering from the "D'Qwell Jackson syndrome" - that is, linebackers not consistently meeting runningbacks at the LOS or in the backfield when they have the opportunity. I wasn't able to watch the game this Sunday, but if what you say about Robertson is true, then that is a step in the right direction.

    However, like I said and you referenced, there have been key injuries among the front 7 all season long. Desmond Bryant has only played just over 50% of defensive snaps. Rubin- 35%. Mingo- 40%. Taylor played in 15% of snaps all year. Kirksey is a rookie and has played the equivalent of one half of every game all year. Dansby is new, and now hurt. We lost DQJ, who was a vocal leader of the defense. Mingo is playing with a mild to sever shoulder injury. They are all in a "new" system with a new coordinator. These are all contributing factors. Excuses, sure. But factors nonetheless.

    They should be hitting their stride right now, but they aren't. It's upsetting, but it's not a bad defense and it doesn't need to be blown up. These are capable, talented players with a capable, talented coach. Something is amiss.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    1) Was it Forsett that gouged us specifically though?

    2) So by your argument, give any bum off the street enough carries and he'll carve our defense up? Well why don't we call guys out of the stands on sunday then...seems like a solid plan. Should be fine.

    3) I understand we've had injuries, but this goes back to game 1. There's something amiss with our run defense and I'm the first to admit I have zero clue what it is...scheme or personnel or both. No idea. Can't figure it out. On Sunday at least though, Robertson was sniffing the gaps. First time I've seen one of our ILB'ers really meet guys in the hole for coffee and pleasantries. First time. If it was me I'd keep him there even if Dansby came back.

    No, it was specifically Zo Taliaferro- a tremendously skilled runningback from Coastal Carolina, and I'd love to see anyone say any different.

    My argument is that these guys aren't just any "bums off the street". The illogical and off-base thinking of many fans, including a whole handful of posters here, is that a player is "garbage" or "practice squad worthy" if he wasn't taken in the first two rounds or he's not an active, every game starter. Taliaferro is averaging 4.2 YPC and Blue is averaging 3.5. These aren't world beaters by any means, but they are more than "practice squad bums" and to call them as such is not only a disservice to them, it's a disservice to our defense.

    Our run defense isn't the best, I know that. At times our LB's have been nowhere to be found and we're often still suffering from the "D'Qwell Jackson syndrome" - that is, linebackers not consistently meeting runningbacks at the LOS or in the backfield when they have the opportunity. I wasn't able to watch the game this Sunday, but if what you say about Robertson is true, then that is a step in the right direction.

    However, like I said and you referenced, there have been key injuries among the front 7 all season long. Desmond Bryant has only played just over 50% of defensive snaps. Rubin- 35%. Mingo- 40%. Taylor played in 15% of snaps all year. Kirksey is a rookie and has played the equivalent of one half of every game all year. Dansby is new, and now hurt. We lost DQJ, who was a vocal leader of the defense. Mingo is playing with a mild to sever shoulder injury. They are all in a "new" system with a new coordinator. These are all contributing factors. Excuses, sure. But factors nonetheless.

    They should be hitting their stride right now, but they aren't. It's upsetting, but it's not a bad defense and it doesn't need to be blown up. These are capable, talented players with a capable, talented coach. Something is amiss.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    No, it was specifically Zo Taliaferro- a tremendously skilled runningback from Coastal Carolina, and I'd love to see anyone say any different.

    My argument is that these guys aren't just any "bums off the street". The illogical and off-base thinking of many fans, including a whole handful of posters here, is that a player is "garbage" or "practice squad worthy" if he wasn't taken in the first two rounds or he's not an active, every game starter. Taliaferro is averaging 4.2 YPC and Blue is averaging 3.5. These aren't world beaters by any means, but they are more than "practice squad bums" and to call them as such is not only a disservice to them, it's a disservice to our defense.

    Our run defense isn't the best, I know that. At times our LB's have been nowhere to be found and we're often still suffering from the "D'Qwell Jackson syndrome" - that is, linebackers not consistently meeting runningbacks at the LOS or in the backfield when they have the opportunity. I wasn't able to watch the game this Sunday, but if what you say about Robertson is true, then that is a step in the right direction.

    However, like I said and you referenced, there have been key injuries among the front 7 all season long. Desmond Bryant has only played just over 50% of defensive snaps. Rubin- 35%. Mingo- 40%. Taylor played in 15% of snaps all year. Kirksey is a rookie and has played the equivalent of one half of every game all year. Dansby is new, and now hurt. We lost DQJ, who was a vocal leader of the defense. Mingo is playing with a mild to sever shoulder injury. They are all in a "new" system with a new coordinator. These are all contributing factors. Excuses, sure. But factors nonetheless.

    They should be hitting their stride right now, but they aren't. It's upsetting, but it's not a bad defense and it doesn't need to be blown up. These are capable, talented players with a capable, talented coach. Something is amiss.

    I don't believe the defense has to blown up from the players stance, yet....I just think the scheme has to change to fit them better. Buffalo, where pettine fucking came from, is running a better hybrid then we are. We have plenty capable players to match that defense....from what I read Buffalo's defense is just continuing what was going on when Pettine was there.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    No, it was specifically Zo Taliaferro- a tremendously skilled runningback from Coastal Carolina, and I'd love to see anyone say any different.

    My argument is that these guys aren't just any "bums off the street". The illogical and off-base thinking of many fans, including a whole handful of posters here, is that a player is "garbage" or "practice squad worthy" if he wasn't taken in the first two rounds or he's not an active, every game starter. Taliaferro is averaging 4.2 YPC and Blue is averaging 3.5. These aren't world beaters by any means, but they are more than "practice squad bums" and to call them as such is not only a disservice to them, it's a disservice to our defense.

    Our run defense isn't the best, I know that. At times our LB's have been nowhere to be found and we're often still suffering from the "D'Qwell Jackson syndrome" - that is, linebackers not consistently meeting runningbacks at the LOS or in the backfield when they have the opportunity. I wasn't able to watch the game this Sunday, but if what you say about Robertson is true, then that is a step in the right direction.

    However, like I said and you referenced, there have been key injuries among the front 7 all season long. Desmond Bryant has only played just over 50% of defensive snaps. Rubin- 35%. Mingo- 40%. Taylor played in 15% of snaps all year. Kirksey is a rookie and has played the equivalent of one half of every game all year. Dansby is new, and now hurt. We lost DQJ, who was a vocal leader of the defense. Mingo is playing with a mild to sever shoulder injury. They are all in a "new" system with a new coordinator. These are all contributing factors. Excuses, sure. But factors nonetheless.

    They should be hitting their stride right now, but they aren't. It's upsetting, but it's not a bad defense and it doesn't need to be blown up. These are capable, talented players with a capable, talented coach. Something is amiss.

    I don't believe the defense has to blown up from the players stance, yet....I just think the scheme has to change to fit them better. Buffalo, where pettine fucking came from, is running a better hybrid then we are. We have plenty capable players to match that defense....from what I read Buffalo's defense is just continuing what was going on when Pettine was there.

    @clevfan4life said:

    I don't believe the defense has to blown up from the players stance, yet....I just think the scheme has to change to fit them better. Buffalo, where pettine fucking came from, is running a better hybrid then we are. We have plenty capable players to match that defense....from what I read Buffalo's defense is just continuing what was going on when Pettine was there.

    Exactly, they are continuing what they have been doing. In other words, they are playing in a familiar system, they're comfortable. I won't contribute everything to continuity, but it certainly has to count for something. The browns have been mixing up their personnel all year and have not been able to find a true comfort zone. It seems that as soon as the defense does start to play with some authority another injury mixes everything up all over again. It appears that Pettine and co. are building a culture and identity and I hope it continues.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    No, it was specifically Zo Taliaferro- a tremendously skilled runningback from Coastal Carolina, and I'd love to see anyone say any different.

    My argument is that these guys aren't just any "bums off the street". The illogical and off-base thinking of many fans, including a whole handful of posters here, is that a player is "garbage" or "practice squad worthy" if he wasn't taken in the first two rounds or he's not an active, every game starter. Taliaferro is averaging 4.2 YPC and Blue is averaging 3.5. These aren't world beaters by any means, but they are more than "practice squad bums" and to call them as such is not only a disservice to them, it's a disservice to our defense.

    Our run defense isn't the best, I know that. At times our LB's have been nowhere to be found and we're often still suffering from the "D'Qwell Jackson syndrome" - that is, linebackers not consistently meeting runningbacks at the LOS or in the backfield when they have the opportunity. I wasn't able to watch the game this Sunday, but if what you say about Robertson is true, then that is a step in the right direction.

    However, like I said and you referenced, there have been key injuries among the front 7 all season long. Desmond Bryant has only played just over 50% of defensive snaps. Rubin- 35%. Mingo- 40%. Taylor played in 15% of snaps all year. Kirksey is a rookie and has played the equivalent of one half of every game all year. Dansby is new, and now hurt. We lost DQJ, who was a vocal leader of the defense. Mingo is playing with a mild to sever shoulder injury. They are all in a "new" system with a new coordinator. These are all contributing factors. Excuses, sure. But factors nonetheless.

    They should be hitting their stride right now, but they aren't. It's upsetting, but it's not a bad defense and it doesn't need to be blown up. These are capable, talented players with a capable, talented coach. Something is amiss.

    I don't believe the defense has to blown up from the players stance, yet....I just think the scheme has to change to fit them better. Buffalo, where pettine fucking came from, is running a better hybrid then we are. We have plenty capable players to match that defense....from what I read Buffalo's defense is just continuing what was going on when Pettine was there.

    @clevfan4life said:

    I don't believe the defense has to blown up from the players stance, yet....I just think the scheme has to change to fit them better. Buffalo, where pettine fucking came from, is running a better hybrid then we are. We have plenty capable players to match that defense....from what I read Buffalo's defense is just continuing what was going on when Pettine was there.

    I thought BUF was running a pure 4-3 now under Schwartz... no???

    If healthy, then I think we match the Bills fairly well personnel-wise, but I do not know who is our Mario Williams.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I don't believe the defense has to blown up from the players stance, yet....I just think the scheme has to change to fit them better. Buffalo, where pettine fucking came from, is running a better hybrid then we are. We have plenty capable players to match that defense....from what I read Buffalo's defense is just continuing what was going on when Pettine was there.

    I thought BUF was running a pure 4-3 now under Schwartz... no???

    If healthy, then I think we match the Bills fairly well personnel-wise, but I do not know who is our Mario Williams.

    @tour2ma said:

    I thought BUF was running a pure 4-3 now under Schwartz... no???

    If healthy, then I think we match the Bills fairly well personnel-wise, but I do not know who is our Mario Williams.

    Last sunday they probably ran 80% 4-3. They have 3-4 packages where they take out Williams I believe, and put in a hybrid type OLB.

    Kruger should be our Mario Williams. We took a couple lbs off him since his Blt days cause we're asking more of him in coverage. It ain't workin. Kruger could be a 15-20 sack guy if he put his hands down most of the time and put back on some of that weight.

  • @tour2ma said:

    I thought BUF was running a pure 4-3 now under Schwartz... no???

    If healthy, then I think we match the Bills fairly well personnel-wise, but I do not know who is our Mario Williams.

    Last sunday they probably ran 80% 4-3. They have 3-4 packages where they take out Williams I believe, and put in a hybrid type OLB.

    Kruger should be our Mario Williams. We took a couple lbs off him since his Blt days cause we're asking more of him in coverage. It ain't workin. Kruger could be a 15-20 sack guy if he put his hands down most of the time and put back on some of that weight.

    @clevfan4life said:

    Last sunday they probably ran 80% 4-3. They have 3-4 packages where they take out Williams I believe, and put in a hybrid type OLB.

    Kruger should be our Mario Williams. We took a couple lbs off him since his Blt days cause we're asking more of him in coverage. It ain't workin. Kruger could be a 15-20 sack guy if he put his hands down most of the time and put back on some of that weight.

    Totally agree on Kruger at DE, but don't see the speed in him needed to produce a Mario-ish sack total. Krugs is good for bulling and the occasional rip, but even pushing 30 Mario can still beat RTs off the line and run past them.

  • I think it was a terrific draft (and FA) and really reduced many areas of need (plus another first round pick). I'll go out on a limb and say that both first round picks last year will be starters in 2015. Gilbert is too talented an athlete who just needs more time to adjust to the NFL. I may be wrong, but I'm not ready to call him a bust. Would I take a WR instead? Yes. But I'm hoping Gilbert will prove me wrong.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Last sunday they probably ran 80% 4-3. They have 3-4 packages where they take out Williams I believe, and put in a hybrid type OLB.

    Kruger should be our Mario Williams. We took a couple lbs off him since his Blt days cause we're asking more of him in coverage. It ain't workin. Kruger could be a 15-20 sack guy if he put his hands down most of the time and put back on some of that weight.

    Totally agree on Kruger at DE, but don't see the speed in him needed to produce a Mario-ish sack total. Krugs is good for bulling and the occasional rip, but even pushing 30 Mario can still beat RTs off the line and run past them.

    @tour2ma said:

    Totally agree on Kruger at DE, but don't see the speed in him needed to produce a Mario-ish sack total. Krugs is good for bulling and the occasional rip, but even pushing 30 Mario can still beat RTs off the line and run past them.

    Mario to me looks like he beats Tackles around the edge by carving it off, not necessarily going wide untouched..ala a Mingo type. Watt is the same way, they look like they're going around the edge when in reality they're just doing a running lateral delt raise with the OT. This is what I wish Kruger would get back to. Give him his great bulrush back and somebody teach him how to lean into the edge and he's at 15 sacks min. Same goes with Sheard. Some games they could be in there together and have one or both the Bryants subbing for them, other games they could be subbing in for each other with Mingo gunning the other edge all game if there's a tackle the DC thinks is susceptible to speed rush like Mingo. Keeping both Sheard and Kruger in at OLB'er all game is just stupid and wears them down. Their energies should be projected at the line all game long, we can still drop them back from time to time to confuse defense's as they'd obviously be capable of it...but the majority of their time should be spent either getting around the tackle or holding them up in the run game. And that should all be done from the hands down position which allows them to blow into the tackle. This is what both those guys are built for, what we're doing now is wasting their energy so when it is time to get after the QB they're tired.

  • True... I should have said "... run past some" as he did the NYJ's RT.

    Mario did not beat Schwartz cleanly Sunday (at least not in the first half... as far as I have gotten), but he got the edge twice and levered Mitch big time, most effectively by virtually stiff-arming with his right to MS's right shoulder.

  • True... I should have said "... run past some" as he did the NYJ's RT.

    Mario did not beat Schwartz cleanly Sunday (at least not in the first half... as far as I have gotten), but he got the edge twice and levered Mitch big time, most effectively by virtually stiff-arming with his right to MS's right shoulder.

    @tour2ma said:

    True... I should have said "... run past some" as he did the NYJ's RT.

    Mario did not beat Schwartz cleanly Sunday (at least not in the first half... as far as I have gotten), but he got the edge twice and levered Mitch big time, most effectively by virtually stiff-arming with his right to MS's right shoulder.

    love that move