Skip to content

New Star Wars Trailer.

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
31 12 1.4k
  • Bet it will make big bucks at the box office!

  • JJ Abrams is involved and that can only be good since he's made the only watchable star trek movies ever.

  • That cross guard on the light saber is kind of dumb though. A little more thought into the design of it would go a long way.

  • the dark side will have a crescent handle then?

  • nerds.

  • I'm pretty sure that was the dark side fair

  • JJ Abrams is involved and that can only be good since he's made the only watchable star trek movies ever.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    JJ Abrams is involved and that can only be good since he's made the only watchable star trek movies ever.

    Actually, I think JJ Abrams has pretty much fucked up both of his Star Trek movies. Now, I like the movies, by that I mean he has fucked up certain aspects of the story lines.

  • That cross guard on the light saber is kind of dumb though. A little more thought into the design of it would go a long way.

    @osiris said:

    That cross guard on the light saber is kind of dumb though. A little more thought into the design of it would go a long way.

    Yea JJ Abrams resurrects a franchise George Lucas nearly flushed away and you complain about the lightsaber?

    Fucking idiot.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    JJ Abrams is involved and that can only be good since he's made the only watchable star trek movies ever.

    Actually, I think JJ Abrams has pretty much fucked up both of his Star Trek movies. Now, I like the movies, by that I mean he has fucked up certain aspects of the story lines.

    @the-gipper said:

    Actually, I think JJ Abrams has pretty much fucked up both of his Star Trek movies. Now, I like the movies, by that I mean he has fucked up certain aspects of the story lines.

    Well I think it's possibly the best reboot of any series I've ever seen. What did you find to be offensive?

    WSS

  • George Lucas is to Star Wars as what Al Davis was to the Raiders.

    Successful in the 70's and then flushed down the toilet.

  • Yes Gipper what did you find offensive about the star trek reboot? Inquiring minds want to know.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Actually, I think JJ Abrams has pretty much fucked up both of his Star Trek movies. Now, I like the movies, by that I mean he has fucked up certain aspects of the story lines.

    Well I think it's possibly the best reboot of any series I've ever seen. What did you find to be offensive?

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Well I think it's possibly the best reboot of any series I've ever seen. What did you find to be offensive?

    WSS

    Spock and Uhuru getting it on. Bullshit.

    Destroying Vulcan, Bullshit.

    Khan being co-opted by the Federation. Bullshit.

  • Well he was half human and she did have a nice set of space cans.

    WSS

  • They explained all that in the interlude with nimoy.

  • @osiris said:

    That cross guard on the light saber is kind of dumb though. A little more thought into the design of it would go a long way.

    Yea JJ Abrams resurrects a franchise George Lucas nearly flushed away and you complain about the lightsaber?

    Fucking idiot.

    @walterwhite said:

    Yea JJ Abrams resurrects a franchise George Lucas nearly flushed away and you complain about the lightsaber?

    Fucking idiot.

    Work that one alcohol-addled brain cell of yours and try to imagine what a plasma cross guard would do to your wrist as soon as you start trying to do any sort of maneuvers with it. Then go learn about suspension of disbelief. Finally, look in the mirror and realize you are the "fucking idiot."
  • You're the fucking idiot cunt for questioning JJ Abrahms with your extensive film making experience.

    The light saber is badass so go fuck yourself.

  • You're the fucking idiot cunt for questioning JJ Abrahms with your extensive film making experience.

    The light saber is badass so go fuck yourself.

    @walterwhite said:

    You're the fucking idiot cunt for questioning JJ Abrahms with your extensive film making experience.

    The light saber is badass so go fuck yourself.

    LOL I didn't realize you had such a man-crush on JJ Abrams. Did you burn out that one brain cell adding the word "cunt" to your prior insult? Bravo. I'm sure JJ will be impressed with your literary acumen.

    Here is something so you can brush up on your education.

    Master bladesmith: New lightsaber design is a terrible idea

    The first trailer for Star Wars: The Force Awakens dropped this morning. And almost immediately, people began commenting on the design of a Sith lightsaber with what appears to be mini-blades shooting out of the hilt as a sort of crossguard.

    So we asked a certified master bladesmith who specializes in swords: Is there any point to having a crossguard on your lightsaber?

    "The idea behind a crossguard on any blade is to protect the swordsman's hand from another person's blade," explains Kevin Cashen from his home in Michigan. So it might not seem so crazy for lightsabers to have cross guards, especially given the tendency for hand amputations in Star Wars film series.

    But Cashen says the lightsaber design would likely leave the wielder's hands in even greater peril.

    "That would be very bad to have around your hand," said Cashen. Even with more traditional hilts, larger crossguards can often snag the users more than it can do something against the opponent, he said.

    And a weaponized crossguard with plasma-like blades could be a disaster for a user, especially if they engaged in the more acrobatic style of combat deployed in the prequel trilogy. "That hilt would just take you apart if you started to do a lot of complex spinning," said Cashen.

    There is a side function of crossguards where the mini-blades might be helpful, though. Sometimes crossguards could be used to bash opponents at close range, said Cashen.

    But that's basically the only use he could see for the lightsaber-bladed crossguard. And that specific function doesn't make up for the dubious nature of the design. "The problem is the other 80 percent of the time you'd be in grave danger of searing yourself," he said.

    Lightsabers have seen little variation since being introduced in the first Star Wars Film in 1977, with the exception of the dual-ended lightsaber wielded by Darth Maul in Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace.

    But they continue to be an iconic symbol of the franchise -- and an object of fascination for sword enthusiasts. "The lightsaber thing comes up a lot in my field." said Cashen. "It's the ultimate extreme of what swords can't do."

  • All of that over a very minor aspect of things. WOW. Now:

    A. What about that vehicle that girl was driving. What was that.

    B. And who was that girl?

    C. And what about the guy flying the x-wing. Who was he?

    D. I am assuming in there somewhere is a child....or children of Han Solo and Princess Leia? (I also assume that because he became a Jedi that Luke Skywalker did not marry?

    E. And when it says "The Force Awakens" I assume they mean the Dark Side has reawoken.

    F. And just where did this Sith Lord come from?

    G. And just who is doing his bidding?

    H. And why are there still "stormtroopers"? Shouldn't the "New Republic" have gotten rid of them?

  • I saw an article complaining, and I swear to christ this is true, about the stormtrooper being black.

  • I saw an article complaining, and I swear to christ this is true, about the stormtrooper being black.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    I saw an article complaining, and I swear to christ this is true, about the stormtrooper being black.

    Well, when you consider that originally the storm troopers were all clones of Jango Fett, who was not black (although the actor was part Maori), you understand why people wouldn't be thrilled with the seemingly arbitrary change. However:

    "H. And why are there still "stormtroopers"? Shouldn't the "New Republic" have gotten rid of them?"

    Maybe they 'got rid' of all the clone-troopers and now have just a regular standing army, which would explain why there's a black guy in there.