It's Hoyer
-
It's a no brainier starting Hoyer. Throwing a rookie in when we still have a shot at the playoffs could cost Pettine his job if it doesn't go well. Manziel will be the starter of the future but right now they owe Hoyer a chance to at least redeem himself. If he's rotten then ok put Manziel in. But I think you should only play Manziel if we are eliminated. As long as we are still in the hunt the veterans on the team need continuity. They trust Hoyer in the huddle, they know his hard count and the chemistry is already there.
I also think by naming Hoyer the starter from the beginning, if they replace him now it looks like we are throwing in the towel for next year.
Did Manziel provide a spark? He sure did. With that said he's going to make rookie mistakes that could cost us a shot as the wildcard.
Let Hoyer prove one way or another if he's got what it takes. At least let him audition for a gig with some other team.
And there's also the risk factor if Manziel were to get injured. Pettine knows and understands what's at stake.
It's a no brainier starting Hoyer. Throwing a rookie in when we still have a shot at the playoffs could cost Pettine his job if it doesn't go well. Manziel will be the starter of the future but right now they owe Hoyer a chance to at least redeem himself. If he's rotten then ok put Manziel in. But I think you should only play Manziel if we are eliminated. As long as we are still in the hunt the veterans on the team need continuity. They trust Hoyer in the huddle, they know his hard count and the chemistry is already there.
I also think by naming Hoyer the starter from the beginning, if they replace him now it looks like we are throwing in the towel for next year.
Did Manziel provide a spark? He sure did. With that said he's going to make rookie mistakes that could cost us a shot as the wildcard.
Let Hoyer prove one way or another if he's got what it takes. At least let him audition for a gig with some other team.
And there's also the risk factor if Manziel were to get injured. Pettine knows and understands what's at stake.
Pettine is scared Hoyer might defriend him on Facebook if he gets benched.
-
12 and 0?
11 and 1?
WSS
not with this offensive line.
not with this offensive line.
Seriously? You don't think the Browns would have put more points on the board with one of the best quarterbacks in the league?
I think we'd have a much better record with even an above average quarterback. Yes I'm glad we squeaked a couple by but wouldn't it be nice to have a couple touchdown cushion?
WSS
-
I get the feeling Pettine is just playing it safe by starting hoyer. Franchises don't become successful by playing it safe. Does anyone really think the browns would win a playoff game with hoyer?
I get the feeling Pettine is just playing it safe by starting hoyer. Franchises don't become successful by playing it safe.
The fan base and press is calling for the flashy rookie to start over the embattled veteran.
The rookie HC, whose rookie predecessor was fired after one year, decides to start the embattled vet.
Safe choice???
I like Pettine addressing this. It also raises the point of what an "QB-centric offense" is. Is it one where you have faith in your QB to sling it around 50 times a game?
It's a great question that was lost in the harangue.
One where the offense starts with scheming the use of its QB's unique skills and capabilities and everything else emanates from that scheme. Everything else includes a pass to set up the run approach.
Wow, mik, your views are so moving and intelligent. You've really put me in my place. You didn't try to prove me wrong, but hey, why do that when you can call names.
Aaron Rodgers in Super Bowl - 304 yds, 3 td's.
James Starks - 11 Carries, 52 yards, 0 td's
Aaron Rodgers CARRIED the OFFENSE in that Super Bowl.
I think P Manning and Rogers are excellent examples of QB-centric schemes. Brady is a third, and Luck is the nextgen example, but I think that's it. However, it does not mean that even these greats can reach the ultimate success with out benefit of other phases of the game. Not over the course of full season at any rate.
But in any given game, including the ultimate game, then they can most certainly carry their team to the prize. Just as Rogers did in SB XLV over Big Ben's Boys 31-25...
... even if the Pack's cause was aided by a Pick-6.
-
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
-
You're really funny. I'm not a tool so I'm not going to go on and talk about how successful my extended family all is, but id be glad to if you want.I knew it ran in the family!
PS: I have more billionaires and famous people in my family than I'm willing to bet you have in yours

You're really funny. I'm not a tool so I'm not going to go on and talk about how successful my extended family all is, but id be glad to if you want.
PS: I have more billionaires and famous people in my family than I'm willing to bet you have in yours

My cousin is Mike Matheny. I want one of those doughnuts!
-
Lol
guys guys..
i want the browns to win above all
thats what fuels me.. the desire to see them win..
its less about the locker room itself and more about what hoyers fans say about the locker room
this is to combat that
Lol
its less about the locker room itself and more about what hoyers fans say about the locker room
this is to combat that
Then let the games begin...
What Im trying to "convince" you of is that even though he is our starter on Sunday.. not everyone internally agrees that he should be. That is HUGE. Shannahan pointed out he was excited about Johnny.. and made sure to point out it was Pettines decision.. not his.
This in addition to the recent player texts that came out today in support of Johnny>Hoyer..
It goes to show that Brian.. doesnt have the full support of the locker room.. which is one of the reasons people use to support putting him in on Sunday in the first place
Earlier you said "four" texts? I assume Haden and Winn are two... just wondering if any offensive players are in that four. Or is the number growing? Other reports claim the QB players were backing was not close...
"I can tell you: Manziel advocate(s) outnumbered by a lot — Aditi Kinkhabwala (@AKinkhabwala) December 3, 2014”
As for Shanny... Pettine ain't going to be too happy with him taking private positions public.
"#Browns HC Mike Pettine: QB debate sparked lively discussions among staff but at the end of the day we all agreed. — Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) December 3, 2014”
The division has been true to some degree all season.
Yes... nothing new. Growing? Almost certainly, but nothing new.
-
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
Hoyer has only started 16 games, but his numbers so far are Eli Manning-esque ... winner of not one, but two Super Bowls.
Zombo
-
You are so mad BRO lol

Dude is killing it lol. These threads geat better and better.
-
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
Hoyer has only started 16 games, but his numbers so far are Eli Manning-esque ... winner of not one, but two Super Bowls.
Zombo
Zombo said:
Hoyer has only started 16 games, but his numbers so far are Eli Manning-esque ... winner of not one, but two Super Bowls.
Zombo
Well lets say that when Brian Hoyer is named MVP of a couple Super Bowls I will put them in the same category. If and when that happens I'll drive to Florida to buy you a beer.
WSS
-
-
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
Aberrations? Did I imply "aberrations"? I think I implied exceptional as in examples of the ultimate QB-centric Offense.
Which Hoyer?
The pre-Mack-injury Hoyer, including 2013, when we had a "RB/PAP-centric" offensive attack, was comparable to Dilfer, Johnson and a few earlier examples that would undoubtedly stretch the limits of "recent".
There are no examples of the post-Mack Hoyer.
-
Zombo said:
Hoyer has only started 16 games, but his numbers so far are Eli Manning-esque ... winner of not one, but two Super Bowls.
Zombo
Well lets say that when Brian Hoyer is named MVP of a couple Super Bowls I will put them in the same category. If and when that happens I'll drive to Florida to buy you a beer.
WSS
Well lets say that when Brian Hoyer is named MVP of a couple Super Bowls I will put them in the same category. If and when that happens I'll drive to Florida to buy you a beer.
WSS
Fair enough, but you can't win any Super Bowls when you haven't finished a season yet, so isn't it an unfair premise to ask us to compare him to the current Super Bowl winning QBs in the first place?
He has similar game to Eli ... with the right defense, running game and a few lucky bounces who knows? I guess we'll find out if the plug isn't pulled.
Hoyer through 16 career starts is 10-6 4,287 yards, 18 Tds 16 Int, 79 Rating
Mannings first 16 starts he was 7-9, his first full year as a starter he had 3,762 yards 24Tds 16 Int 75.9 rating
Zombo
-
I wonder how many of the other teams with a 7-5 record are talking about replacing their QB?
-
The bills did
-
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
Aberrations? Did I imply "aberrations"? I think I implied exceptional as in examples of the ultimate QB-centric Offense.
Which Hoyer?
The pre-Mack-injury Hoyer, including 2013, when we had a "RB/PAP-centric" offensive attack, was comparable to Dilfer, Johnson and a few earlier examples that would undoubtedly stretch the limits of "recent".
There are no examples of the post-Mack Hoyer.
Aberrations? Did I imply "aberrations"? I think I implied exceptional as in examples of the ultimate QB-centric Offense.
Which Hoyer?
The pre-Mack-injury Hoyer, including 2013, when we had a "RB/PAP-centric" offensive attack, was comparable to Dilfer, Johnson and a few earlier examples that would undoubtedly stretch the limits of "recent".
There are no examples of the post-Mack Hoyer.
Well two of the first losses were with Mack and we lost both games with a combined total of five points.
WSS
-
I wonder how many of the other teams with a 7-5 record are talking about replacing their QB?
I wonder how many of the other teams with a 7-5 record are talking about replacing their QB?
How many are in last place in their division?
How many have quarterbacks rated in the bottom 3 or 4 in the league?
I'm not even talking about replacing him until next season. Still I think at the very least we'd want someone above average.
(and he might all of a sudden get better the last 4 games. If he does I wonder what the problem was up til now )
WSS
-
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
Rex Grossman. (you didn't say SB winning, just SB QB)
-
So if we are going with the non quarterback centric offense and claiming that Rodgers and Manning are aberrations in professional football, which Super Bowl quarterbacks in recent years have been approximately the same caliber as Brian Hoyer?
WSS
Aberrations? Did I imply "aberrations"? I think I implied exceptional as in examples of the ultimate QB-centric Offense.
Which Hoyer?
The pre-Mack-injury Hoyer, including 2013, when we had a "RB/PAP-centric" offensive attack, was comparable to Dilfer, Johnson and a few earlier examples that would undoubtedly stretch the limits of "recent".
There are no examples of the post-Mack Hoyer.
Aberrations? Did I imply "aberrations"? I think I implied exceptional as in examples of the ultimate QB-centric Offense.
Which Hoyer?
The pre-Mack-injury Hoyer, including 2013, when we had a "RB/PAP-centric" offensive attack, was comparable to Dilfer, Johnson and a few earlier examples that would undoubtedly stretch the limits of "recent".
There are no examples of the post-Mack Hoyer.
Well we lost two games with the pre Mac player by a total of five points.
WSS
-
Were those two losses better, or worse, than what you expected of this team as of Sept. 6?
-
Were those two losses better, or worse, than what you expected of this team as of Sept. 6?
Were those two losses better, or worse, than what you expected of this team as of Sept. 6?
Me?
I always expect, hope for, pray for, cross my fingers for and predict a good season.
I hate losing close games. And it troubles me to win close games if I thought we left points on the field. Understandable?
WSS
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login