Skip to content

Greatest Games ever played

The Browns Board
28 15 854
  • Here is the list of the top 15 of Sports Illustrated's Best 50 games ever played, in order:

    1. The Greatest Game Colts/Giants 1958 NFL Championship game.

    2. The Epic Struggle Chargers/Dolphins 1982 playoff game

    3. The Ice Bowl Packers/Cowboys 1967

    4. The Drive Browns/Broncos 1986 playoffs

    5. The Longest Game Dolphins/Chiefs 1971

    6. The Comeback Bills/Oilers 1993

    7. The Tuck Rule Game Patriots/Raiders

    8. The Immaculate Reception Game Raiders/Steelers 1972

    9. The Hail Mary Cowboys/Vikings 1975

    10. The Ghost to the Post Raiders/Colts 1977

    11. The Helmet Catch Patriots/Giants 2007 season Super Bowl

    12. Wide Right Giants/ Bills 1990 season Super Bowl

    13. The Catch 49ers/Cowboys 1981 season NFC title game

    14. One Yard Short Rams/Titans 1999 season Super Bowl

    15. The Fumble Browns/Broncos 1987

    other games involving Cleveland teams:

    22. Bernie, Bernie game Browns Jets 1986 season. Double OT game where Bernie sets postseason record for most passing yards. I gave it that moniker. It doesn't really have one beyond that, though it should

    44. 1945 Cleveland Rams/Washington Redskins NFL Championship Game

    45. Red Right 88 Browns Raiders 1980

    I didn't put the whole list. Almost all of these are postseason games (there may have been a few regular season games on the 50 list...but all these are playoffs.

    Can you think of any other Browns game that could be listed under the greatest games ever?

  • Bud Carsons debut

  • Here is the list of the top 15 of Sports Illustrated's Best 50 games ever played, in order:

    1. The Greatest Game Colts/Giants 1958 NFL Championship game.

    2. The Epic Struggle Chargers/Dolphins 1982 playoff game

    3. The Ice Bowl Packers/Cowboys 1967

    4. The Drive Browns/Broncos 1986 playoffs

    5. The Longest Game Dolphins/Chiefs 1971

    6. The Comeback Bills/Oilers 1993

    7. The Tuck Rule Game Patriots/Raiders

    8. The Immaculate Reception Game Raiders/Steelers 1972

    9. The Hail Mary Cowboys/Vikings 1975

    10. The Ghost to the Post Raiders/Colts 1977

    11. The Helmet Catch Patriots/Giants 2007 season Super Bowl

    12. Wide Right Giants/ Bills 1990 season Super Bowl

    13. The Catch 49ers/Cowboys 1981 season NFC title game

    14. One Yard Short Rams/Titans 1999 season Super Bowl

    15. The Fumble Browns/Broncos 1987

    other games involving Cleveland teams:

    22. Bernie, Bernie game Browns Jets 1986 season. Double OT game where Bernie sets postseason record for most passing yards. I gave it that moniker. It doesn't really have one beyond that, though it should

    44. 1945 Cleveland Rams/Washington Redskins NFL Championship Game

    45. Red Right 88 Browns Raiders 1980

    I didn't put the whole list. Almost all of these are postseason games (there may have been a few regular season games on the 50 list...but all these are playoffs.

    Can you think of any other Browns game that could be listed under the greatest games ever?

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is the list of the top 15 of Sports Illustrated's Best 50 games ever played, in order:

    1. The Greatest Game Colts/Giants 1958 NFL Championship game.

    2. The Epic Struggle Chargers/Dolphins 1982 playoff game

    3. The Ice Bowl Packers/Cowboys 1967

    4. The Drive Browns/Broncos 1986 playoffs

    5. The Longest Game Dolphins/Chiefs 1971

    6. The Comeback Bills/Oilers 1993

    7. The Tuck Rule Game Patriots/Raiders

    8. The Immaculate Reception Game Raiders/Steelers 1972

    9. The Hail Mary Cowboys/Vikings 1975

    10. The Ghost to the Post Raiders/Colts 1977

    11. The Helmet Catch Patriots/Giants 2007 season Super Bowl

    12. Wide Right Giants/ Bills 1990 season Super Bowl

    13. The Catch 49ers/Cowboys 1981 season NFC title game

    14. One Yard Short Rams/Titans 1999 season Super Bowl

    15. The Fumble Browns/Broncos 1987

    other games involving Cleveland teams:

    22. Bernie, Bernie game Browns Jets 1986 season. Double OT game where Bernie sets postseason record for most passing yards. I gave it that moniker. It doesn't really have one beyond that, though it should

    44. 1945 Cleveland Rams/Washington Redskins NFL Championship Game

    45. Red Right 88 Browns Raiders 1980

    I didn't put the whole list. Almost all of these are postseason games (there may have been a few regular season games on the 50 list...but all these are playoffs.

    Can you think of any other Browns game that could be listed under the greatest games ever?

    i hate that fucking immaculate reception game.....a total fluke play, just fucking luck....i fucking hate anything to do with pittsburgh....

  • I was at the Bernie double OT game. So that is my favorite BY FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • I was at red Right 88, it was a long cold trip home in the snow.

  • They left out Texas A&M-Alabama 2012.

    🙂

  • Here is the list of the top 15 of Sports Illustrated's Best 50 games ever played, in order:

    1. The Greatest Game Colts/Giants 1958 NFL Championship game.

    2. The Epic Struggle Chargers/Dolphins 1982 playoff game

    3. The Ice Bowl Packers/Cowboys 1967

    4. The Drive Browns/Broncos 1986 playoffs

    5. The Longest Game Dolphins/Chiefs 1971

    6. The Comeback Bills/Oilers 1993

    7. The Tuck Rule Game Patriots/Raiders

    8. The Immaculate Reception Game Raiders/Steelers 1972

    9. The Hail Mary Cowboys/Vikings 1975

    10. The Ghost to the Post Raiders/Colts 1977

    11. The Helmet Catch Patriots/Giants 2007 season Super Bowl

    12. Wide Right Giants/ Bills 1990 season Super Bowl

    13. The Catch 49ers/Cowboys 1981 season NFC title game

    14. One Yard Short Rams/Titans 1999 season Super Bowl

    15. The Fumble Browns/Broncos 1987

    other games involving Cleveland teams:

    22. Bernie, Bernie game Browns Jets 1986 season. Double OT game where Bernie sets postseason record for most passing yards. I gave it that moniker. It doesn't really have one beyond that, though it should

    44. 1945 Cleveland Rams/Washington Redskins NFL Championship Game

    45. Red Right 88 Browns Raiders 1980

    I didn't put the whole list. Almost all of these are postseason games (there may have been a few regular season games on the 50 list...but all these are playoffs.

    Can you think of any other Browns game that could be listed under the greatest games ever?

    @the-gipper said:

    Here is the list of the top 15 of Sports Illustrated's Best 50 games ever played, in order:

    1. The Greatest Game Colts/Giants 1958 NFL Championship game.

    To give away my advanced age, that's my first clear football memory. And it WAS a damn great game.

    @manzier said:

    Bud Carsons debut

    I have a DVD of that game, save the first 5 minutes, it always cheers me up Three Sewers was a Ghost Town by halftime- the look on Chuck Noll's face- Priceless.

    @browns149 said:

    I was at the Bernie double OT game. So that is my favorite BY FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Ditto.

    @opal312 said:

    I was at red Right 88, it was a long cold trip home in the snow.

    Not only was I there, I had a bird's eye view of the stinking play from what was to become the Dawg Pound.

  • The Tuck Rule game takes the cake for me. It was a snowy day here and the night of my sister's rehearsal dinner for her wedding. Everyone was hammered and it was one of the greatest moments as a Pats fan I have ever witnessed. Raiders fans still bitch about the call but in reality that call was made AGAINST the Pats earlier that season vs. the Jets.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Here is the list of the top 15 of Sports Illustrated's Best 50 games ever played, in order:

    1. The Greatest Game Colts/Giants 1958 NFL Championship game.

    2. The Epic Struggle Chargers/Dolphins 1982 playoff game

    3. The Ice Bowl Packers/Cowboys 1967

    4. The Drive Browns/Broncos 1986 playoffs

    5. The Longest Game Dolphins/Chiefs 1971

    6. The Comeback Bills/Oilers 1993

    7. The Tuck Rule Game Patriots/Raiders

    8. The Immaculate Reception Game Raiders/Steelers 1972

    9. The Hail Mary Cowboys/Vikings 1975

    10. The Ghost to the Post Raiders/Colts 1977

    11. The Helmet Catch Patriots/Giants 2007 season Super Bowl

    12. Wide Right Giants/ Bills 1990 season Super Bowl

    13. The Catch 49ers/Cowboys 1981 season NFC title game

    14. One Yard Short Rams/Titans 1999 season Super Bowl

    15. The Fumble Browns/Broncos 1987

    other games involving Cleveland teams:

    22. Bernie, Bernie game Browns Jets 1986 season. Double OT game where Bernie sets postseason record for most passing yards. I gave it that moniker. It doesn't really have one beyond that, though it should

    44. 1945 Cleveland Rams/Washington Redskins NFL Championship Game

    45. Red Right 88 Browns Raiders 1980

    I didn't put the whole list. Almost all of these are postseason games (there may have been a few regular season games on the 50 list...but all these are playoffs.

    Can you think of any other Browns game that could be listed under the greatest games ever?

    i hate that fucking immaculate reception game.....a total fluke play, just fucking luck....i fucking hate anything to do with pittsburgh....

    @jim_brown said:

    i hate that fucking immaculate reception game.....a total fluke play, just fucking luck....i fucking hate anything to do with pittsburgh....

    I think in today's high-def, high speed cameras and instant replays, they'd find something wrong with that play to negate it. Like did it hit Tatum or not, and even though that's the more controversial part of it, I question that the nose of the ball didn't touch the ground. How many times have we seen low to the ground catches in modern day football that were called receptions, but then overturned on challenges after viewing the replays?

    But it was a different time then, and I'm sure plenty of stuff got by that wouldn't today. Still, the golden rule applies here. "If it seems too good to be true..."

  • Here is the list of the top 15 of Sports Illustrated's Best 50 games ever played, in order:

    1. The Greatest Game Colts/Giants 1958 NFL Championship game.

    2. The Epic Struggle Chargers/Dolphins 1982 playoff game

    3. The Ice Bowl Packers/Cowboys 1967

    4. The Drive Browns/Broncos 1986 playoffs

    5. The Longest Game Dolphins/Chiefs 1971

    6. The Comeback Bills/Oilers 1993

    7. The Tuck Rule Game Patriots/Raiders

    8. The Immaculate Reception Game Raiders/Steelers 1972

    9. The Hail Mary Cowboys/Vikings 1975

    10. The Ghost to the Post Raiders/Colts 1977

    11. The Helmet Catch Patriots/Giants 2007 season Super Bowl

    12. Wide Right Giants/ Bills 1990 season Super Bowl

    13. The Catch 49ers/Cowboys 1981 season NFC title game

    14. One Yard Short Rams/Titans 1999 season Super Bowl

    15. The Fumble Browns/Broncos 1987

    other games involving Cleveland teams:

    22. Bernie, Bernie game Browns Jets 1986 season. Double OT game where Bernie sets postseason record for most passing yards. I gave it that moniker. It doesn't really have one beyond that, though it should

    44. 1945 Cleveland Rams/Washington Redskins NFL Championship Game

    45. Red Right 88 Browns Raiders 1980

    I didn't put the whole list. Almost all of these are postseason games (there may have been a few regular season games on the 50 list...but all these are playoffs.

    Can you think of any other Browns game that could be listed under the greatest games ever?

    @the-gipper said:

    Can you think of any other Browns game that could be listed under the greatest games ever?

    Maybe this Sunday's game? Only possible addition I care about ATM...

  • They left out Texas A&M-Alabama 2012.

    🙂

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    They left out Texas A&M-Alabama 2012.

    🙂

    Yea, I think they were listing only NFL games.

  • @jim_brown said:

    i hate that fucking immaculate reception game.....a total fluke play, just fucking luck....i fucking hate anything to do with pittsburgh....

    I think in today's high-def, high speed cameras and instant replays, they'd find something wrong with that play to negate it. Like did it hit Tatum or not, and even though that's the more controversial part of it, I question that the nose of the ball didn't touch the ground. How many times have we seen low to the ground catches in modern day football that were called receptions, but then overturned on challenges after viewing the replays?

    But it was a different time then, and I'm sure plenty of stuff got by that wouldn't today. Still, the golden rule applies here. "If it seems too good to be true..."

    @tml1138 said:

    I think in today's high-def, high speed cameras and instant replays, they'd find something wrong with that play to negate it. Like did it hit Tatum or not, and even though that's the more controversial part of it, I question that the nose of the ball didn't touch the ground. How many times have we seen low to the ground catches in modern day football that were called receptions, but then overturned on challenges after viewing the replays?

    But it was a different time then, and I'm sure plenty of stuff got by that wouldn't today. Still, the golden rule applies here. "If it seems too good to be true..."

    And, of course remember, the rule that could have disqualified Franco from making that catch was repealed....and has been for many many years. If it happened today no one would question that it was a legitimate catch.

  • For Me.. theres two that standout..Bernies double overtime.. And Kevin Mack in the 88 playoffs...He ran roughshod like a Man possessed over the oil slicks..

  • @aggie-brown-fan said:

    They left out Texas A&M-Alabama 2012.

    🙂

    Yea, I think they were listing only NFL games.

    @the-gipper said:

    Yea, I think they were listing only NFL games.

    I saw that, I was attempting humor again.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yea, I think they were listing only NFL games.

    I saw that, I was attempting humor again.

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    I saw that, I was attempting humor again.

    I got it. Well played...

  • @the-gipper said:

    Yea, I think they were listing only NFL games.

    I saw that, I was attempting humor again.

    @aggie-brown-fan said:

    I saw that, I was attempting humor again.

    Operative term: attempt. 😉

  • @tml1138 said:

    I think in today's high-def, high speed cameras and instant replays, they'd find something wrong with that play to negate it. Like did it hit Tatum or not, and even though that's the more controversial part of it, I question that the nose of the ball didn't touch the ground. How many times have we seen low to the ground catches in modern day football that were called receptions, but then overturned on challenges after viewing the replays?

    But it was a different time then, and I'm sure plenty of stuff got by that wouldn't today. Still, the golden rule applies here. "If it seems too good to be true..."

    And, of course remember, the rule that could have disqualified Franco from making that catch was repealed....and has been for many many years. If it happened today no one would question that it was a legitimate catch.

    @the-gipper said:

    And, of course remember, the rule that could have disqualified Franco from making that catch was repealed....and has been for many many years. If it happened today no one would question that it was a legitimate catch.

    True that. Which gives my only leg to stand on that did he really make that catch with the ball being so close to the ground? Perhaps. IMO more unlikely, but that's worth nothing. We'll never know for sure.

  • @jim_brown said:

    i hate that fucking immaculate reception game.....a total fluke play, just fucking luck....i fucking hate anything to do with pittsburgh....

    I think in today's high-def, high speed cameras and instant replays, they'd find something wrong with that play to negate it. Like did it hit Tatum or not, and even though that's the more controversial part of it, I question that the nose of the ball didn't touch the ground. How many times have we seen low to the ground catches in modern day football that were called receptions, but then overturned on challenges after viewing the replays?

    But it was a different time then, and I'm sure plenty of stuff got by that wouldn't today. Still, the golden rule applies here. "If it seems too good to be true..."

    @tml1138 said:

    I think in today's high-def, high speed cameras and instant replays, they'd find something wrong with that play to negate it. Like did it hit Tatum or not, and even though that's the more controversial part of it, I question that the nose of the ball didn't touch the ground. How many times have we seen low to the ground catches in modern day football that were called receptions, but then overturned on challenges after viewing the replays?

    But it was a different time then, and I'm sure plenty of stuff got by that wouldn't today. Still, the golden rule applies here. "If it seems too good to be true..."

    I saw something about that game. They said there was only 4 TV camera's at that game?

    How can that be?

    Even back then NFL films had guys on the sidelines.

    So there had to be more then 4.

    Although, in the end, it didn't matter because the stoolers lost the next week to the undefeated Dolphins

  • I was at the Browns-Jets game too, and the last 2 minutes of regulation and beyond was surreal, but before that the game actually sucked. The following week was just the opposite.

    Browns-Steelers in 1980 was awesome, when Sipe hit Ozzie in the corner of the end zone in the last minute, 27-26.

  • I prefer the 51-0 beating we gave the Steelers in 89