Skip to content

Why do we defer?

The Browns Board
45 12 1.4k
  • We were starting the most hyped rookie QB since Peyton Manning. We win the toss and defer????????

    Once the bungles went 80 yards in 7 minutes, the crowd was DONE,

    I told my buddy, that the Browns were in trouble. Then they came out and went 3-and-out. The game was OVER at that point.

    YOU WIN THE TOSS.....................TAKE THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    The Browns 1st 4 drives went 3 plays, punt. 3 plays, punt. 3 plays INT, and then 3 plays punt

    bungles went 14 plays TD, 9 plays FG, 5 plays TD, 4 plays FG

  • I guess you could argue either way... I personally prefer to set the tone on defense first. And games aren't over after the first drive.

  • I guess you could argue either way... I personally prefer to set the tone on defense first. And games aren't over after the first drive.

    @bbedward said:

    I guess you could argue either way... I personally prefer to set the tone on defense first. And games aren't over after the first drive.

    The game was over after the 1st drive today

  • but thats the first time thats happened. The team likes to open with their strength, which usually works out. It didnt "this week"

  • And after we defer, so we can get the ball 1st in the second half

    in the 2nd half we go

    3 plays punt, 3 plays punt, 6 plays punt and then the OBVIOUS, 3 plays punt

    AWESOME JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • I guess you could argue either way... I personally prefer to set the tone on defense first. And games aren't over after the first drive.

    @bbedward said:

    I guess you could argue either way... I personally prefer to set the tone on defense first. And games aren't over after the first drive.

    Based on the defensive effort against Indy I would've done the same thing. If the D played suspect vs. Indy and the offense hung 42 on 'em I'd take the ball. I think it should be week to week depending on who's playing better and home vs. road.

  • but thats the first time thats happened. The team likes to open with their strength, which usually works out. It didnt "this week"

    @manzier said:

    but thats the first time thats happened. The team likes to open with their strength, which usually works out. It didnt "this week"

    we should have opened with "JOHNNY"

    we let him sit for 25 ACTUAL minutes. DUMB!!!!!!!!!!!

  • @bbedward said:

    I guess you could argue either way... I personally prefer to set the tone on defense first. And games aren't over after the first drive.

    The game was over after the 1st drive today

    @browns149 said:

    The game was over after the 1st drive today

    Yes, but I don't think it had anything to do with deferring.

  • @browns149 said:

    The game was over after the 1st drive today

    Yes, but I don't think it had anything to do with deferring.

    @bbedward said:

    Yes, but I don't think it had anything to do with deferring.

    It set the tone for the entire game

  • You want to make an omelet? You've got to break some eggs.

  • There is a show on NFL network that is about the "TURNING POINT" of each game.

    Ours was the coin toss. we won it and said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" we don't want the ball

  • There is a show on NFL network that is about the "TURNING POINT" of each game.

    Ours was the coin toss. we won it and said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" we don't want the ball

    @browns149 said:

    There is a show on NFL network that is about the "TURNING POINT" of each game.

    Ours was the coin toss. we won it and said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" we don't want the ball

    While I understand what you are saying, you open with your best side. I'm guessing you don't think our offense is better than our defense, especially not after last week. Plenty to complain about after this game, but this doesn't seem like one of our biggest problems.

  • @browns149 said:

    There is a show on NFL network that is about the "TURNING POINT" of each game.

    Ours was the coin toss. we won it and said "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" we don't want the ball

    While I understand what you are saying, you open with your best side. I'm guessing you don't think our offense is better than our defense, especially not after last week. Plenty to complain about after this game, but this doesn't seem like one of our biggest problems.

    @winstonlegthigh said:

    While I understand what you are saying, you open with your best side. I'm guessing you don't think our offense is better than our defense, especially not after last week. Plenty to complain about after this game, but this doesn't seem like one of our biggest problems.

    I think going down the field and scoring is way more important then stopping the other team from doing the same thing

    It was proven today. They rolled us on the 1st drive and we NEVER recovered.

  • @winstonlegthigh said:

    While I understand what you are saying, you open with your best side. I'm guessing you don't think our offense is better than our defense, especially not after last week. Plenty to complain about after this game, but this doesn't seem like one of our biggest problems.

    I think going down the field and scoring is way more important then stopping the other team from doing the same thing

    It was proven today. They rolled us on the 1st drive and we NEVER recovered.

    @browns149 said:

    I think going down the field and scoring is way more important then stopping the other team from doing the same thing

    It was proven today. They rolled us on the 1st drive and we NEVER recovered.

    K well, that wasn't happening today, if you think it was gonna happen, you have had too much to drink. Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. Our defense is our strong suit, you start with the D and get the stop.

  • @browns149 said:

    I think going down the field and scoring is way more important then stopping the other team from doing the same thing

    It was proven today. They rolled us on the 1st drive and we NEVER recovered.

    K well, that wasn't happening today, if you think it was gonna happen, you have had too much to drink. Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. Our defense is our strong suit, you start with the D and get the stop.

    @winstonlegthigh said:

    K well, that wasn't happening today, if you think it was gonna happen, you have had too much to drink. Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. Our defense is our strong suit, you start with the D and get the stop.

    We start on defense and give up a drive of 80 yards for 7 minutes.

    GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Who said our defense was the best part of the team?

    they gave up 244 yards rushing.

    You win the coin toss........................... YOU TAKE THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • @winstonlegthigh said:

    K well, that wasn't happening today, if you think it was gonna happen, you have had too much to drink. Hindsight is 20/20 my friend. Our defense is our strong suit, you start with the D and get the stop.

    We start on defense and give up a drive of 80 yards for 7 minutes.

    GAME OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Who said our defense was the best part of the team?

    they gave up 244 yards rushing.

    You win the coin toss........................... YOU TAKE THE BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    @browns149 said:

    Who said our defense was the best part of the team?

    If you don't think the defense is the best part of this team you are either

    1. lying

    2. A moron

    Yes, the D sucked today, and has sucked at many times all year. But right now, and particularly before this game, it is better than our offense. (Which isn't hard to do)

  • ^ I completely agree. Football is a game of momentum. It is a proven fact that the team that scores first has a 5 percent edge of winning the game.

  • We've been deferring all year. Haven't you noticed?

  • what???????????

  • We've only started off with the ball once or twice all season