Skip to content

Bernie's take

The Browns Board
70 23 2.8k
  • Yeah let's have some details on what needs to be done. Bernie, why did you wait until now, when things look better than they have in years, to come out and say this?

    I did get a chuckle from this Bernie quote in a related article:

    "I've had a headache for 15 years," he said. "And it's getting worse."

  • Well I'm not sure Bob. I mean seriously bernie is broke and drunk half the time. I have to wonder if he isn't just a little bitter about the organization and his role in it. Sure we need to get lucky in the draft but unless somebody specifically tells me what's wrong with the front office every couple years it doesn't seem like they have anything substantial to say. Just bitching doesn't sound like a blueprint for success.

    WSS

  • You can easily read between the lines here and tell Bernie is venting frustration about how he was "treated" by the organization. Manziel has made exactly one start in the NFL and this regime is on a reasonable pace to make a 100% improvement in the win/loss column. That's the best we've seen in a loooong time.

  • My take - Hey, Bernie is passionate about the game and he wanted to work for Hasbeen and Hanbeen said no deal. Bernie also says that Bellicheck is the proper program, though it was Bellicheck who removed Bernie from starting in Cleveland and replaced him with Bernie's back up at Miami U. (Vinnie). Bernie noted the lauging by both Cleveland QB's on the sideline while their team was getting trounced and that is the football culture that is broke and that is on the front office, not the coach or players.

    He is definitely a take it personally type of football fan! This will probably shelve the QB controversy and make it an organizational controversy. Probably long past due.

  • "long past due organizational controversy" makes no sense here...

    for the first half success and then the collapse due largely to injury,

    Kosar is wrong imo - passionate yes - but mosty pissed like the rest of us.

    this is a first year coaching staff and GM with some good results and a good outlook.

    stay the course that is all...

  • Bernie's a lot smarter about football than me, but I am willing to give Farmer some time. He's only had one draft, and I thought it was a good one. He also brought in Crowell, somebody who previous regimes would shy away from.

    The Browns can't screw up the next draft. They need to draft players, not trade away picks, especially in round 1.

    I trust Bernie's judgement, maybe he doesn't see eye-to-eye with Farmer.

    @bob806 said:

    Bernie's a lot smarter about football than me...

    Football... yes, agree. Football operations? Different critter.

    @westside-steve said:

    I have to wonder if (Bernie) isn't just a little bitter about the organization and his role in it.

    Pretty much sums it up, I think. Bern's carping has ebbed and flowed since his investment group lost out to Lerner in the original franchising process.

  • "long past due organizational controversy" makes no sense here...

    for the first half success and then the collapse due largely to injury,

    Kosar is wrong imo - passionate yes - but mosty pissed like the rest of us.

    this is a first year coaching staff and GM with some good results and a good outlook.

    stay the course that is all...

    @fairhooker11 said:

    "long past due organizational controversy" makes no sense here...

    for the first half success and then the collapse due largely to injury,

    Kosar is wrong imo - passionate yes - but mosty pissed like the rest of us.

    this is a first year coaching staff and GM with some good results and a good outlook.

    stay the course that is all...

    Course? I don't see any course at all now................

  • http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/bernie_kosar_says_johnny_manzi.html

    I wish someone would have asked him what he thought should be done.

    At least the rambling isn't as slurred as usual.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/bernie_kosar_says_johnny_manzi.html

    I wish someone would have asked him what he thought should be done.

    At least the rambling isn't as slurred as usual.

    WSS

    You are a Belichick fan, so I thought you enjoyed rambling slurred speeches. Or, I mean, did you think that every speech you would ever hear would emulate Greg Graves? (Inside joke fellas)

  • @westside-steve said:

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/bernie_kosar_says_johnny_manzi.html

    I wish someone would have asked him what he thought should be done.

    At least the rambling isn't as slurred as usual.

    WSS

    You are a Belichick fan, so I thought you enjoyed rambling slurred speeches. Or, I mean, did you think that every speech you would ever hear would emulate Greg Graves? (Inside joke fellas)

    @the-gipper said:

    You are a Belichick fan, so I thought you enjoyed rambling slurred speeches. Or, I mean, did you think that every speech you would ever hear would emulate Greg Graves? (Inside joke fellas)

    Well what I think is that Bernie Kosar probably knows a good deal about professional football having played it on a fairly high level. When you repeat the charge at the front office is dysfunctional or whatever, I would expect him to say "and here's what would make things better". Then give a few concrete examples. He did actually sound more sober than he has in the past but I think his commentary was in fact rambling.

    WSS

  • George C said:

    This attitude needs to cross over to our offense now, and I'm guessing that will decide if we succeed. They need to hate a little more, hate enough to want to kill. It also helps that we have the most miserable, ugly, cranky and pissed off coach in the NFL with Marrone.

    You mean the laughing on the sideline during embarrassing losses isn't a good thing?

    No wonder that Tom Brady guy always have that pissed off "i'm going to kill someone" look whenever they are losing.

  • @the-gipper said:

    You are a Belichick fan, so I thought you enjoyed rambling slurred speeches. Or, I mean, did you think that every speech you would ever hear would emulate Greg Graves? (Inside joke fellas)

    Well what I think is that Bernie Kosar probably knows a good deal about professional football having played it on a fairly high level. When you repeat the charge at the front office is dysfunctional or whatever, I would expect him to say "and here's what would make things better". Then give a few concrete examples. He did actually sound more sober than he has in the past but I think his commentary was in fact rambling.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    Well what I think is that Bernie Kosar probably knows a good deal about professional football having played it on a fairly high level. When you repeat the charge at the front office is dysfunctional or whatever, I would expect him to say "and here's what would make things better". Then give a few concrete examples. He did actually sound more sober than he has in the past but I think his commentary was in fact rambling.

    WSS

    OK, but, did he start his talk with "there were these two dogs"?

  • @westside-steve said:

    Well what I think is that Bernie Kosar probably knows a good deal about professional football having played it on a fairly high level. When you repeat the charge at the front office is dysfunctional or whatever, I would expect him to say "and here's what would make things better". Then give a few concrete examples. He did actually sound more sober than he has in the past but I think his commentary was in fact rambling.

    WSS

    OK, but, did he start his talk with "there were these two dogs"?

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, but, did he start his talk with "there were these two dogs"?

    Sadly he did not. I am well aware of the trend setting graves speech.

    ₩$$

  • Well I'm not sure Bob. I mean seriously bernie is broke and drunk half the time. I have to wonder if he isn't just a little bitter about the organization and his role in it. Sure we need to get lucky in the draft but unless somebody specifically tells me what's wrong with the front office every couple years it doesn't seem like they have anything substantial to say. Just bitching doesn't sound like a blueprint for success.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    ... seriously bernie is broke and drunk half the time. I have to wonder if he isn't just a little bitter about the organization and his role in it.

    I dont even wonder....he's angry at everyone....his family for making him broke, the NFL for making him slur, Cleveland media for firing him, the Browns for not hiring him....agenda anyone?

    @jrb12711 said:

    You can easily read between the lines here and tell Bernie is venting frustration about how he was "treated" by the organization.

    Thats my take....and no answers between the lines either....just general accusations without and specifics..

    @fairhooker11 said:

    this is a first year coaching staff and GM with some good results and a good outlook.

    stay the course that is all...

    yep....if Bernie was a coach, he'd be saying something different....

    @tour2ma said:

    Pretty much sums it up, I think. Bern's carping has ebbed and flowed since his investment group lost out to Lerner in the original franchising process.

    Bad culture causes laughing on the sidelines???....wonder how he feels about players who get drunk before work?

  • Yeah Bernie would be happy with the browns FO if they hired him.

  • I don't know if it's a "culture" thing so much, but I agree with most of what Kosar is saying. I just think the problem this year has more to do with the JF media circus than anything else. On the surface, the switch from Hoyer to JF after the Colts game made a lot of sense. The offense was tanking, making the playoffs seemed unlikely, and we had potential, untested talent in the wings at QB. Makes sense to me.


    What I don't get is why Hoyer (and our entire offense) started to implode after a 7-4 start. Ok, we have had some challenges on the OL, but they seemed to be holding their own. At that point, Gordon was coming back and the defense was starting to improve. WTF happened??? I can sort of understand getting shut down by the Bills, but the Colts game didn't sit well with me. With our defensive effort, we should have easily won that game. Why did our offense (not just QB) become so inept when we had so much going for us? Could the JF media circus have somehow caused this? Did mounting pressure force the coaching staff to start Manziel before he was ready? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but, unless JF turns out to be the savior, I see another year of big changes in the Browns organization. Especially knowing they'll probably end the season by losing the last 5 games (and 6 of the last 7).


    I like Johnny for the most part. He's a little immature, but he's a hard worker and great competitor. I just think picking him in the draft (especially in the 1st rd) was a huge mistake. That's probably why so many teams avoided him. Selling T-shirts is great, but at some point you have to back it up with wins.

  • I don't know if it's a "culture" thing so much, but I agree with most of what Kosar is saying. I just think the problem this year has more to do with the JF media circus than anything else. On the surface, the switch from Hoyer to JF after the Colts game made a lot of sense. The offense was tanking, making the playoffs seemed unlikely, and we had potential, untested talent in the wings at QB. Makes sense to me.


    What I don't get is why Hoyer (and our entire offense) started to implode after a 7-4 start. Ok, we have had some challenges on the OL, but they seemed to be holding their own. At that point, Gordon was coming back and the defense was starting to improve. WTF happened??? I can sort of understand getting shut down by the Bills, but the Colts game didn't sit well with me. With our defensive effort, we should have easily won that game. Why did our offense (not just QB) become so inept when we had so much going for us? Could the JF media circus have somehow caused this? Did mounting pressure force the coaching staff to start Manziel before he was ready? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but, unless JF turns out to be the savior, I see another year of big changes in the Browns organization. Especially knowing they'll probably end the season by losing the last 5 games (and 6 of the last 7).


    I like Johnny for the most part. He's a little immature, but he's a hard worker and great competitor. I just think picking him in the draft (especially in the 1st rd) was a huge mistake. That's probably why so many teams avoided him. Selling T-shirts is great, but at some point you have to back it up with wins.

    @gernthefish said:

    I don't know if it's a "culture" thing so much, but I agree with most of what Kosar is saying. I just think the problem this year has more to do with the JF media circus than anything else. On the surface, the switch from Hoyer to JF after the Colts game made a lot of sense. The offense was tanking, making the playoffs seemed unlikely, and we had potential, untested talent in the wings at QB. Makes sense to me.
    What I don't get is why Hoyer (and our entire offense) started to implode after a 7-4 start. Ok, we have had some challenges on the OL, but they seemed to be holding their own. At that point, Gordon was coming back and the defense was starting to improve. WTF happened??? I can sort of understand getting shut down by the Bills, but the Colts game didn't sit well with me. With our defensive effort, we should have easily won that game. Why did our offense (not just QB) become so inept when we had so much going for us? Could the JF media circus have somehow caused this? Did mounting pressure force the coaching staff to start Manziel before he was ready? Maybe I'm reading too much into it but, unless JF turns out to be the savior, I see another year of big changes in the Browns organization. Especially knowing they'll probably end the season by losing the last 5 games (and 6 of the last 7).
    I like Johnny for the most part. He's a little immature, but he's a hard worker and great competitor. I just think picking him in the draft (especially in the 1st rd) was a huge mistake. That's probably why so many teams avoided him. Selling T-shirts is great, but at some point you have to back it up with wins.

    Very fair question, I just think Hoyer couldn't manage the pressure of looking over his shoulder and he imploded as a result. I'd be 100% against it obviously but I actually believe Hoyer would play a good game if they put him back in now that Manziel tanked like that.

  • @fairhooker11 said:

    "long past due organizational controversy" makes no sense here...

    for the first half success and then the collapse due largely to injury,

    Kosar is wrong imo - passionate yes - but mosty pissed like the rest of us.

    this is a first year coaching staff and GM with some good results and a good outlook.

    stay the course that is all...

    Course? I don't see any course at all now................

    @berniedenslow said:

    Course? I don't see any course at all now................

    obviously you know nothing then.

    i'll just write you off as a new complainer who is blinded by his own wants and needs.

  • Bernie is a bitter man and his bitterness against the organization comes through fairly clearly in his rant. The Browns have had every reason first of all to steer clear of Bernie based on his plethora of personal issues. Bernie's commentary on the skill level of our current coaching staff and management are pure conjecture on his part. His personal and family life are a complete disaster and his time would be well spent getting his own house in order. No last year so when Bernie was a commentator you can literally see the shipping is and strangeness of him in his eyes. I do understand that Bernie overall knows more than most of us put together about football however he simply too biased and out of the loop to intelligently comment on what's really going on.

  • Bernie is an embarrassment to the Browns organization.

  • Bernie is an embarrassment to the Browns organization.

    @larryfine said:

    Bernie is an embarrassment to the Browns organization.

    Fuck you. He is a great former Cleveland Brown.