Skip to content

Connor Shaw

The Browns Board
115 42 7.0k
  • it would be nice to see the Browns stick with 1 QB for more than 2 seasons. Let Manziel finish this season at least, once Pettine made the switch he can't go back to Hoyer. Whoever does better in training camp, whether it's Shaw or Manziel (assuming Hoyer signs somewhere else) let them stick it out for a while before hitting the reset button yet again.

  • @masterdog said:

    It can't hurt to give the kid a chance.

    You never gave JFF that option for some reason.

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    You never gave JFF that option for some reason.

    I did.

    And all my questions were answered during the preseason and last game.

  • Come on play Connor Shaw, vote yes or no.

    YES!

    What say you?

  • YES!

    *If Manziel blows again*

  • We'd have to hear more about Shaw's progress from the staff. We don't know where he is.

    He's athletic,smart and rocked SC, but dink and dunk stuff, average arm, etc. He has the tools to be a good NFL QB, but there's a lot to develop which is why he went undrafted.

    I have to say if Manziel shits the bed in an absolutely incredible fashion on Sunday (and I mean incredible, as in worse than bad - Daltonesque against us in game 1) then we'll probably go back to Hoyer week 17 over Shaw.

    Hoyer is a guy we need to make a decision on in the off season, we still have Johnny and Shaw regardless. No reason to tryout another guy in week 17.

    But again, I think we're fully committed to Johnny to finish these last 2 unless he gets hurt or shits the bed in an absolutely incredible fashion Sunday (which I don't expect, Panthers are a middle of the road defense) - then it's Brian not Shaw.

    Let's groom Connor the old fashioned way, maybe it works out (I do remember his hail Mary TD in the pre season :-P).

    I think Shaws potential ceiling is Alex Smith, athletic, smart, non-gunslinger). Maybe even a more athletic Brian. But he ain't there yet let's chill out peeps.

  • No.

    But if it's another QB competition starting 2015, Shaw can be in the competition as far as I see it.

  • @masterdog said:

    Resigning Hoyer isn't an option. I think he's gone unless there's an under the table agreement to hand him the starting job for 2015.

    There won't be any starting guarantees, just open camp guarantee, which if Manziel shits the bed the last 2 he'd probably feel better about.

    I don't think any team is going to guarantee him a starting gig, just the same your job to take thing we can give him.

    Houston probably his best bet, I can imagine O'Brien lobbying for either Hoyer or Mallet.

    And Connor Shaw won't get the start this year unless both Hoyer and Manziel go down. Just can't see it.

    @bbedward said:

    And Connor Shaw won't get the start this year unless both Hoyer and Manziel go down. Just can't see it.

    I cant see him playing this year either. We have to let JFF work through some adjustments and see how he responds.

    I will say that IF it had been Shaw who started this past week and he played the exact same game that JFF did, then no one would dispute that he wasn't ready and looked absolutely terrible. Most would just say to put him back on the shelf.

    He did get that one shot in preseason(right after JFF laid an egg) and he looked pretty good. Same game & players as JFF, but a much better performance. ....8-9 comp for a 155 rating, btw.

    And hoyer stepped in cold last season and led a really bad team to 2 victories. Thats what back ups are supposed to do.

    In the end, a lot of back up players find a way to seize the moment....others dont.

    Ill be patient as long as I see something that says "professional QB".....to this point, I haven't seen anything like that.

  • no

  • No

  • @bbedward said:

    And Connor Shaw won't get the start this year unless both Hoyer and Manziel go down. Just can't see it.

    I cant see him playing this year either. We have to let JFF work through some adjustments and see how he responds.

    I will say that IF it had been Shaw who started this past week and he played the exact same game that JFF did, then no one would dispute that he wasn't ready and looked absolutely terrible. Most would just say to put him back on the shelf.

    He did get that one shot in preseason(right after JFF laid an egg) and he looked pretty good. Same game & players as JFF, but a much better performance. ....8-9 comp for a 155 rating, btw.

    And hoyer stepped in cold last season and led a really bad team to 2 victories. Thats what back ups are supposed to do.

    In the end, a lot of back up players find a way to seize the moment....others dont.

    Ill be patient as long as I see something that says "professional QB".....to this point, I haven't seen anything like that.

    @mudfly said:

    I cant see him playing this year either. We have to let JFF work through some adjustments and see how he responds.

    I will say that IF it had been Shaw who started this past week and he played the exact same game that JFF did, then no one would dispute that he wasn't ready and looked absolutely terrible. Most would just say to put him back on the shelf.

    He did get that one shot in preseason(right after JFF laid an egg) and he looked pretty good. Same game & players as JFF, but a much better performance. ....8-9 comp for a 155 rating, btw.

    And hoyer stepped in cold last season and led a really bad team to 2 victories. Thats what back ups are supposed to do.

    In the end, a lot of back up players find a way to seize the moment....others dont.

    Ill be patient as long as I see something that says "professional QB".....to this point, I haven't seen anything like that.

    I appended my post to say I could see his top ceiling being Alex Smith like. Or a more athletic Brian Hoyer. Seems about right to me. Smart, quick, average arm. He should get a bit more time to develop.

    Funny I looked up an old draft profile of Hoyer and it said a lot of what we've seen :-P. Inconsistent, foot work issues. I think he may have improved the foot work issues but regressed to old habits for whatever reason. Playing more scared since Mack went down maybe.

  • No

  • No.

  • Yes. I love qb carosels and rotating qbs at least once a year.

  • No

  • No. Come on folks you're already giving up on a guy after one game? Especially a game where absolutely no one showed up? Worst fans ever.

  • We'd have to hear more about Shaw's progress from the staff. We don't know where he is.

    He's athletic,smart and rocked SC, but dink and dunk stuff, average arm, etc. He has the tools to be a good NFL QB, but there's a lot to develop which is why he went undrafted.

    I have to say if Manziel shits the bed in an absolutely incredible fashion on Sunday (and I mean incredible, as in worse than bad - Daltonesque against us in game 1) then we'll probably go back to Hoyer week 17 over Shaw.

    Hoyer is a guy we need to make a decision on in the off season, we still have Johnny and Shaw regardless. No reason to tryout another guy in week 17.

    But again, I think we're fully committed to Johnny to finish these last 2 unless he gets hurt or shits the bed in an absolutely incredible fashion Sunday (which I don't expect, Panthers are a middle of the road defense) - then it's Brian not Shaw.

    Let's groom Connor the old fashioned way, maybe it works out (I do remember his hail Mary TD in the pre season :-P).

    I think Shaws potential ceiling is Alex Smith, athletic, smart, non-gunslinger). Maybe even a more athletic Brian. But he ain't there yet let's chill out peeps.

    @bbedward said:

    We'd have to hear more about Shaw's progress from the staff. We don't know where he is.

    He's athletic,smart and rocked SC, but dink and dunk stuff, average arm, etc. He has the tools to be a good NFL QB, but there's a lot to develop which is why he went undrafted.

    First, given that "the Staff said JM was "ready" do we really need their opinion to form ours?

    Second, Dink and dunk sounds very West-Coastish to me, but I remember at least one pre-season, Shaw bomb. Hail Mary, maybe.

    @mudfly said:

    I cant see him playing this year either. We have to let JFF work through some adjustments and see how he responds.

    I don't see why not. I certainly would not dismiss giving Shaw a look out of hand. Only thing is that I believe it would take a roster move to activate Shaw.

    @bbedward said:

    Funny I looked up an old draft profile of Hoyer and it said a lot of what we've seen :-P. Inconsistent, foot work issues. I think he may have improved the foot work issues but regressed to old habits for whatever reason. Playing more scared since Mack went down maybe.

    Interesting angle...

    I think reversion to old habits, to old "form" is almost always pressure induced. Hoyer held form after Mack went down for a while. As I remember events (not all that trustworthy) Brian started having more issues after the whole "BH won't stay, if JM is here" report. And there was even more "stuff" after that.

  • When?

    This Sunday? No.

    Week 17? Maybe.

  • When?

    This Sunday? No.

    Week 17? Maybe.

    @tour2ma said:

    When?

    This Sunday? No.

    Week 17? Maybe.

    It would really really surprise me. A lot

    No matter how JFF plays.

    Imagine what it says if they pulled Johnny after 2 games? Would they risk all that hooplah and craziness for a one game peek at Shaw? You think? Really?

  • No. Give Manziel the last few games. I just hope we end up seeing some sort of break through in his play.

  • I am curious about how he's developing. I think his chances of being in the league five years from now are a lot better than Manziel.