Skip to content

Dansby and Whitner call out Gilbert

The Browns Board
97 33 4.6k
  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #26

    It looks like most are angry because he "tweeted" this, but as usual OP has the facts skewed....

    Does anyone checks facts or sources anymore???

    If it makes a difference, these are just words from a conference call - interview where he was asked about Gilbert.

    Her's a link to the "whole" story...aka comments.....I dont see anything wrong here....

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/karlos_dansby_on_struggling_ro.html

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Thanks for the link Mudfly. I like what Thomas said in this article and it is something I believe as well. Pettine is building a team in Cleveland:

    Left tackle Joe Thomas on what Pettine has proven to him in his first season as coach:

    "I think he didn't have to prove anything to me, but what I see from him is he's a coach that belongs as an NFL head coach. He's a guy that can lead a team to where it needs to be. He's an outstanding leader and motivator, and I'm really excited to have him next year."

  • Thanks for the link Mudfly. I like what Thomas said in this article and it is something I believe as well. Pettine is building a team in Cleveland:

    Left tackle Joe Thomas on what Pettine has proven to him in his first season as coach:

    "I think he didn't have to prove anything to me, but what I see from him is he's a coach that belongs as an NFL head coach. He's a guy that can lead a team to where it needs to be. He's an outstanding leader and motivator, and I'm really excited to have him next year."

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    ...... I'm really excited to have him next year."

    Wonder if that's a message to Jimmy...😉

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Anytime I have doubts about Haslem I just have to remember Randy Lerner and I get more appreciative of Jimmy Haslem. Lerner had another futbol team he seemed focused on.

  • @masterdog said:

    This is serious chit when a leader voice their opinion in a public forum. Gilbert might be a bigger bust than Manziel.

    yep. And he could really be a chump that is just getting under Dansbys skin.

    I have nothing to base that on....pure conjecture on my part.....but I gotta believe Dansby is taking a swing and it's not just for the heck of it....

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @mudfly said:

    yep. And he could really be a chump that is just getting under Dansbys skin.

    I have nothing to base that on....pure conjecture on my part.....but I gotta believe Dansby is taking a swing and it's not just for the heck of it....

    Agree, but...

    @jcam222 said:

    A good leader would call him out in the locker room or in private.

    ^This...

    Of course he could, and I hope he would, have done a face to face first, but with more detail. The tweet is a non-specific "not sure".

    @tiamat63 said:

    I'd be willing to bet my soul it doesn't mean Gilbert will be traded or cut.

    If a leader of the team needs to make a point that will get across and requires a bit of public shamming, I've no issue with that.

    I, too, would be willing to bet your soul... and I agree with the second bit, if as I wrote above, specifics were previously communicated face to face.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #31

    Everlastingxxx, on 22 Dec 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

    Gilbert was a terrible pick. Funny no outrage. Where is Zombo and Tour? Lemmie guess he gets a free pass too.

    ==========================================================================================

    Although you are now likely banished the Phantom zone, I'll respond...

    1. I have been critical of Gilbert and disappointed in his progress, but I have also seen flashes from him... and not just the Indy pick 6. Can't say the same about your Johnnykins...

    2. You don't do sarcasm well. You should lay off of it. You just come off as a broke dick, butt hurt, ass clown. So if you ever reenter the light, leave that card behind in the zone.

  • He's a top 10 pick and the coach sits him down in crunch time because of a shitty attitude?

    WSS

    jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by jcam222
    #32

    @westside-steve said:

    He's a top 10 pick and the coach sits him down in crunch time because of a shitty attitude?

    WSS

    it sucks Steve but apparently nothing else gets through this asshole Typical behavior of kids from the timeout generation versus getting your ass whipped
  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #33
    Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 54m54 minutes ago
    Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
    Pettine on Gilbert, West being benched: "Tough love circumstance. We expect them to hold up their end of the bargain. Nothing is given.''

    Pettine on Gilbert, West being benched: "Tough love circumstance. We expect them to hold up their end of the bargain. Nothing is given.''


  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #34

    No. He was injured not benched. That would be Hoyer.

  • No. He was injured not benched. That would be Hoyer.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    No. He was injured not benched. That would be Hoyer.

    fn74t.jpg

  • Everlastingxxx, on 22 Dec 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

    Gilbert was a terrible pick. Funny no outrage. Where is Zombo and Tour? Lemmie guess he gets a free pass too.

    ==========================================================================================

    Although you are now likely banished the Phantom zone, I'll respond...

    1. I have been critical of Gilbert and disappointed in his progress, but I have also seen flashes from him... and not just the Indy pick 6. Can't say the same about your Johnnykins...

    2. You don't do sarcasm well. You should lay off of it. You just come off as a broke dick, butt hurt, ass clown. So if you ever reenter the light, leave that card behind in the zone.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @tour2ma said:

    Everlastingxxx, on 22 Dec 2014 - 11:27 PM, said:

    Gilbert was a terrible pick. Funny no outrage. Where is Zombo and Tour? Lemmie guess he gets a free pass too.

    ==========================================================================================

    Although you are now likely banished the Phantom zone, I'll respond...

    1. I have been critical of Gilbert and disappointed in his progress, but I have also seen flashes from him... and not just the Indy pick 6. Can't say the same about your Johnnykins...

    2. You don't do sarcasm well. You should lay off of it. You just come off as a broke dick, butt hurt, ass clown. So if you ever reenter the light, leave that card behind in the zone.

    Was this original post deleted? Not by me.

    I would also like to add there haven't been a bunch of "Justin Cocksuckers" pimping him and making excuses for him all year. Most Browns fans are in agreement that while he flashes occasional athletic brilliance, it has been a bit of a lost season for him and we were expecting more this season from the #8 overall. That said, the position as a whole looks in good shape moving forward.

    The most important position ... still the biggest question mark.

    Zombo

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by WalterWhite
    #37

    "It's time to grow up and not be a kid anymore. It's a wasted year for him," Whitner said. "There were so many ups, so many downs -- a lot of it has been brought on by himself. He has to look himself in the mirror like Karlos [Dansby]said, he has to understand what he did wrong, what he needs to get better at, and make sure that you're back here working out from day one when we return here to show everybody you have a good attitude and you want to go out there and be the player they drafted you to be."

    This is fucking sad and embarrassing. 4th god damn pick in the draft and instead of Watkins, Evans, Mack, Beckham, Barr, Martin, Mosley and we end up with this guy. Shame on Farmer/Haslam/Pettine for lack of due diligence.

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12073436/cleveland-browns-safety-donte-whitner-sounds-rookie-justin-gilbert

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #38

    a day late and a dollar short.................but still hilarious.

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #39

    To have these vets doing this so openly means Gilbert has really been a locker room cancer. I'd go so far as to say these messages are rooted in the coaching staff.

  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #40

    Hang his picture on the mantle next to all of the other Browns' 1st round greats........... Fuck it, we should just trade our 1st round picks away for a slew of lower round picks. We'll bombard the roster with quantity, and maybe, just maybe, a couple of them will be great.

  • To have these vets doing this so openly means Gilbert has really been a locker room cancer. I'd go so far as to say these messages are rooted in the coaching staff.

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #41

    @jcam222 said:

    To have these vets doing this so openly means Gilbert has really been a locker room cancer. I'd go so far as to say these messages are rooted in the coaching staff.

    Luckily our coaches don't hand playing time just because he's a first round pick.

    If the vets see lack of work ethic I'm sure they appreciate the coach not rewarding him with PT.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #42

    Sorry Mik, we realize he was your boy, but he is a bust.

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by WalterWhite
    #43

    We just LAY WASTE and fuck up every pick. Other than Haden, Thomas, and Mack it's been a complete disaster.

    These GM's, coaches, and owners make millions of fucking dollars, how hard can it be?

    Phil Taylor is the definition of average (passed on Jones, Watt, Kerrigan, Quinn,)

    I wanted Watt/Kerrigan/or Quinn that year because I wanted a badass pass rusher.

    Trent Richardson is a RB we took 3rd overall and Brandon Weeden is a 30 year old back up

    I wanted RG3 but after the skins traded for him I wanted Blackmon (thank god we didn't pull the trigger on either) and David Decastro at 22

    Barkevious Mingo has no business starting professional football and is a situational pass rusher/special teamer.

    I wanted Tyler Eifert and Tyran Matheiu that year.

    Justin Gilbert is a complete bust and we passed on some fucking guaranteed pro bowlers

    I will admit I wanted Manziel up until I found out Gordon was gone the day after the draft I wanted Watkins. I would have taken Watkins knowing what they knew

    Johnny Manziel has just not given a fuck and looked like dog shit.

    At 26, I would have taken Xavier Sau Filo or Jordan Mathews

    I know this is hindsight, but here's my fucking point:

    I'm a fucking guy who makes less than 6 figures a year with little to no football knowledge other than what I see on TV and I can draft better than these fucking clowns. I've never played beyond 9th grade and I can do fucking better.

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
    #44

    I get it, you're not going to nail EVERY 1st round pick but how do you fuck it up this badly?

  • jcam222J jcam222 wrote on last edited by
    #45

    I think it's much harder than most of us think. Look back at some of the picks you have wanted over the years. If most of you are honest a very high percentage sucked.