Skip to content

favorite live album

Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
42 16 1.9k
  • I'm not a big fan of live albums but I guess I might pick Wings over America.

    WSS

  • Wings Over America? McCartney?

  • Wings Over America? McCartney?

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Wings Over America? McCartney?

    Yeah

    yeah

    yeah

    WSS

  • I listen to Rock in Rio by Iron Maiden a lot.

  • AC/DC - "If You Want Blood(You've Got It)

  • Not a big fan of the live album's. But some of the unplugged stuff is good. Alice in Chains and Nirvana come to mind.

  • I'm not typically a fan of live albums either as they usually sound like shit but there are some performers who get a reputation as "live acts" due to their shows. The talking heads are one such band. Billy Joel has garnered a reputation as a live performer as well. I've seen him twice and he kicked ass both times.

  • What's yours? Mine is "Stop making sense" By the talking heads

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    What's yours? Mine is "Stop making sense" By the talking heads

    I saw the Talking Heads a couple of times on the "Stop Making Sense" Tour and each show was 'killer' from beginning to end. I believe that tour was the pinnacle of that band's existence.

    In terms of live ALBUMS, though, I still have to say it's the Allman Brothers Live at Filmore East, circa 1971. Blazing

  • Don't know that I have one but tonight it's

  • The foo fighters have a great reputation as a live band as well. This is the best version of this song in my opinion yes even over Freddie mercury. Taylor Hawkins rocks it out.

  • Of course no one could work the crowd like Fred mercury. Watching the sea of people mimicking his hand gestures is a thing of beauty

  • Not a big Dave Matthews Band fan anymore but Live at Red Rocks is incredible

    Since I'm a Pearl Jam guy I'll say Live at Benaroya Hall

  • Not a big Dave Matthews Band fan anymore but Live at Red Rocks is incredible

    Since I'm a Pearl Jam guy I'll say Live at Benaroya Hall

    @baconhound said:

    Not a big Dave Matthews Band fan anymore but Live at Red Rocks is incredible

    Since I'm a Pearl Jam guy I'll say Live at Benaroya Hall

    Actually DMB has a number of good live albums.

  • @baconhound said:

    Not a big Dave Matthews Band fan anymore but Live at Red Rocks is incredible

    Since I'm a Pearl Jam guy I'll say Live at Benaroya Hall

    Actually DMB has a number of good live albums.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    Actually DMB has a number of good live albums.

    Well I don't hate him but for some reason I just can't get next to Dave Matthews.

    WSS

  • It's not for everyone. I don't like a lot of his hits but underneath those he has a lot of worthy songs

  • It's not for everyone. I don't like a lot of his hits but underneath those he has a lot of worthy songs

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    It's not for everyone. I don't like a lot of his hits but underneath those he has a lot of worthy songs

    True and I've heard a few I like. Just mostly it seems to meander and go nowhere. I especially can't stand crash.

    On first listen to him in general I thought it would be somebody I would be on board for but couldn't close it.

    still I like him better than Jack Johnson!

    WSS

  • I don't really have an entire album that's my favorite, but here are some of my favorite songs that are better when they're performed live. In Pink Floyd's Learning to Fly, the solos and riffs have so much more feeling than the studio version. The acoustics of the concert version give the bass and vocals a reverberation that booms versus the rather plain sounding studio version. The trio of female backup vox has a whole hell of a lot more soul in person.

    Into the distance, a ribbon of black
    Stretched to the point of no turning back
    A flight of fancy on a windswept field
    Standing alone my senses reeled
    A fatal attraction is holding me fast,
    How can I escape this irresistible grasp?

    Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
    Tongue-tied and twisted, just an earth-bound misfit, I

    Ice is forming on the tips of my wings
    Unheeded warnings, I thought, I thought of everything
    No navigator to find my way home
    Unladened, empty and turned to stone
    A soul in tension -- that's learning to fly
    Condition grounded but determined to try

    Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
    Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I

    Above the planet on a wing and a prayer,
    My grubby halo, a vapour trail in the empty air,
    Across the clouds I see my shadow fly
    Out of the corner of my watering eye
    A dream unthreatened by the morning light
    Could blow this soul right through the roof of the night

    There's no sensation to compare with this
    Suspended animation, a state of bliss

    Can't keep my mind from the circling skies
    Tongue-tied and twisted just an earth-bound misfit, I