50 Years Ago
-
-
-
Back when there were no pussies with attitude issues......
-
Back when there were no pussies with attitude issues......
Back when there were no pussies with attitude issues......
Amen.. And they played purely for the love of the game
-
Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.
It's sad that a Cleveland fan that is as old as 55 never witnessed a championship in Cleveland.
-
I was 7 months old when the Browns won their last championship, I remember it like it never happened.
-
I was 6 years from being born.

-
Years ago I read the autobiography of Green Bay Packer lineman, Ray Nitschke. His story about the NFL of the1960s is priceless. These guys signed for a couple thousand dollars and worked in the off season. He tells a true story of a teammate who went to Vince Lombardi with a complaint about his contract. That afternoon that same player was traded.
I remember those teams like Green Bay, Chicago and Cleveland. The players made no money compared to today but played tough.
-
Wished I was alive back then to see that!
-
Being 58 I remember the game, and the folks listening to it on the radio, but I can't remember it being on TV. I'm sure it was, but living down here in Tusc county, the reception was spotty at times.
-
Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.
It's sad that a Cleveland fan that is as old as 55 never witnessed a championship in Cleveland.
Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.
It's sad that a Cleveland fan that is as old as 55 never witnessed a championship in Cleveland.
I've always said my major regret in life was not blowing some of my paper route money, hopping on the bus downtown and taking in the game. It didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland. Sadly ,I didn't realize Ken Coleman's Quarterback Club replayed the game on Monday- so I've never seen it in it's entirety. And even more amazing- go try and find a complete DVD copy of the game- and you won't be able to- because none exists, only highlights.But getting back to guys playing for peanuts back then- one of the guys in our Wine Club (though he never bragged about it) Marvin Berchet played for the Redskins back in the 50s for $4,000 a year. My Browns uniform #46 is not only a tribute to the year of the Browns founding- it's also (though most don't know it) the retired uniform number of Don Fleming- who happened to get electrocuted in the off season working for the Illuminating Company- most guys back then had to have off season jobs to pay the bills.
And more trivia- Jim Brown was the first NFL player to crack the $100,000 barrier in salary. So no wonder he retired to Hollywood- he could make more than that doing one lousy film.
-
I was 7 months old when the Browns won their last championship, I remember it like it never happened.
I was 7 months old when the Browns won their last championship, I remember it like it never happened.
I was 8 months old.
I remember all of you seven-months-olds acting like you had never been there before.
Zombo
-
Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.
It's sad that a Cleveland fan that is as old as 55 never witnessed a championship in Cleveland.
Not sure where all this "love of the game" bullshit is coming from. Perhaps it's just more romanticization of a past that never really existed,
Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.
... and that time included the '60's. Better known players got cush jobs like at car dealerships, but the rest had to really work.
I've always said my major regret in life was not blowing some of my paper route money, hopping on the bus downtown and taking in the game. It didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland.h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.
-
Not sure where all this "love of the game" bullshit is coming from. Perhaps it's just more romanticization of a past that never really existed,
Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.
... and that time included the '60's. Better known players got cush jobs like at car dealerships, but the rest had to really work.
I've always said my major regret in life was not blowing some of my paper route money, hopping on the bus downtown and taking in the game. It didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland.h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.
Not sure where all this "love of the game" bullshit is coming from. Perhaps it's just more romanticization of a past that never really existed,
... and that time included the '60's. Better known players got cush jobs like at car dealerships, but the rest had to really work.
h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.
according to the PD the game was sold out, but the rule back then was blackout 75 mile radius
-
I remember watching it on t.v. I lived outside of the blackout area. Remember after the game thinking how easy that win looked and how I couldn't wait till next year to do it again. Still waiting......
-
I was 18 & had to work in a warehouse, but we all listened to the game, then home to watch highlights. The Colts were heavily favored to win that game, but our Brownies SKUNKED 'em!
I will never forget that day & I am determined to live to see the next Browns' Championship!
Mike
-
Being 58 I remember the game, and the folks listening to it on the radio, but I can't remember it being on TV. I'm sure it was, but living down here in Tusc county, the reception was spotty at times.
-
I was 18 & had to work in a warehouse, but we all listened to the game, then home to watch highlights. The Colts were heavily favored to win that game, but our Brownies SKUNKED 'em!
I will never forget that day & I am determined to live to see the next Browns' Championship!
Mike
I was 18 & had to work in a warehouse, but we all listened to the game, then home to watch highlights. The Colts were heavily favored to win that game, but our Brownies SKUNKED 'em!
I will never forget that day & I am determined to live to see the next Browns' Championship!
Mike
damn mike. i better make it out to next year's tailgate cuz sounds like you're standing on thin ice my friend. hee hee.
i got oxygen tanks and IVs......don't worry.
oh and shirts and cubanos!!!!!!!!
-
Not sure where all this "love of the game" bullshit is coming from. Perhaps it's just more romanticization of a past that never really existed,
Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.
... and that time included the '60's. Better known players got cush jobs like at car dealerships, but the rest had to really work.
I've always said my major regret in life was not blowing some of my paper route money, hopping on the bus downtown and taking in the game. It didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland.h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.
h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.
You may be right, my memory might be going shot. But my pals dad took two of his other kids to the game, and they said it was not sold out. I know for sure I could have bought a ticket to the game a couple days before.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better π
Register Login