Skip to content

50 Years Ago

The Browns Board
25 17 1.0k
  • Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.

    It's sad that a Cleveland fan that is as old as 55 never witnessed a championship in Cleveland.

    Not sure where all this "love of the game" bullshit is coming from. Perhaps it's just more romanticization of a past that never really existed,

    @stewie said:

    Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.

    ... and that time included the '60's. Better known players got cush jobs like at car dealerships, but the rest had to really work.

    @hoorta said:

    🙂 I've always said my major regret in life was not blowing some of my paper route money, hopping on the bus downtown and taking in the game. It didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland.

    h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.

  • Not sure where all this "love of the game" bullshit is coming from. Perhaps it's just more romanticization of a past that never really existed,

    @stewie said:

    Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.

    ... and that time included the '60's. Better known players got cush jobs like at car dealerships, but the rest had to really work.

    @hoorta said:

    🙂 I've always said my major regret in life was not blowing some of my paper route money, hopping on the bus downtown and taking in the game. It didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland.

    h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.

    @tour2ma said:

    Not sure where all this "love of the game" bullshit is coming from. Perhaps it's just more romanticization of a past that never really existed,

    ... and that time included the '60's. Better known players got cush jobs like at car dealerships, but the rest had to really work.

    h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.

    according to the PD the game was sold out, but the rule back then was blackout 75 mile radius

  • I remember watching it on t.v. I lived outside of the blackout area. Remember after the game thinking how easy that win looked and how I couldn't wait till next year to do it again. Still waiting......

  • I was 18 & had to work in a warehouse, but we all listened to the game, then home to watch highlights. The Colts were heavily favored to win that game, but our Brownies SKUNKED 'em!

    I will never forget that day & I am determined to live to see the next Browns' Championship!

    Mike

  • Being 58 I remember the game, and the folks listening to it on the radio, but I can't remember it being on TV. I'm sure it was, but living down here in Tusc county, the reception was spotty at times.

    @cuwoohio said:

    Being 58 I remember the game, and the folks listening to it on the radio, but I can't remember it being on TV. I'm sure it was, but living down here in Tusc county, the reception was spotty at times.

    if you're 58 then i'm a martian.

    who woulda thought i'm the mature one?

  • I was 18 & had to work in a warehouse, but we all listened to the game, then home to watch highlights. The Colts were heavily favored to win that game, but our Brownies SKUNKED 'em!

    I will never forget that day & I am determined to live to see the next Browns' Championship!

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I was 18 & had to work in a warehouse, but we all listened to the game, then home to watch highlights. The Colts were heavily favored to win that game, but our Brownies SKUNKED 'em!

    I will never forget that day & I am determined to live to see the next Browns' Championship!

    Mike

    damn mike. i better make it out to next year's tailgate cuz sounds like you're standing on thin ice my friend. hee hee.

    i got oxygen tanks and IVs......don't worry.

    oh and shirts and cubanos!!!!!!!!

  • Not sure where all this "love of the game" bullshit is coming from. Perhaps it's just more romanticization of a past that never really existed,

    @stewie said:

    Yes, played for the love of the game for sure...not sure about the 1960's, but there was a time when pro football players had real jobs in the off season to make ends meet.

    ... and that time included the '60's. Better known players got cush jobs like at car dealerships, but the rest had to really work.

    @hoorta said:

    🙂 I've always said my major regret in life was not blowing some of my paper route money, hopping on the bus downtown and taking in the game. It didn't sell out, and was blacked out in Cleveland.

    h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.

    @tour2ma said:

    h, was there a rule back then where a sellout lifted a "blackout"? I don't remember that being around until later on. Seemed like back in the 60's home games meant either attend or listen to Gib "Take good care of the babies" Shanley on the radio.

    You may be right, my memory might be going shot. But my pals dad took two of his other kids to the game, and they said it was not sold out. I know for sure I could have bought a ticket to the game a couple days before.

  • Thanks. Brings back lots of memories. First year of season tickets bought with Plain Dealer paper route money. In the 7th grade at Rocky River Jr. High. Paid $ 40 for the season (7 regular season games and the Press double header), lower deck 40 yard line.

    Muny was such a dungeon but it was home and I loved it.

  • I was 3 months away from 18 and could not get the game where I lived. It was the first year I ever heard of some place called Vietnam and the WW II vets saying, "Now we're gonna show 'em who we are!" Never in my wildest dreams did I envision ever being in a shithole like that. I was just happy Jim Brown won a well deserved championship when I found out the results well after the game was done.

  • @canton-mike said:

    I was 18 & had to work in a warehouse, but we all listened to the game, then home to watch highlights. The Colts were heavily favored to win that game, but our Brownies SKUNKED 'em!

    I will never forget that day & I am determined to live to see the next Browns' Championship!

    Mike

    damn mike. i better make it out to next year's tailgate cuz sounds like you're standing on thin ice my friend. hee hee.

    i got oxygen tanks and IVs......don't worry.

    oh and shirts and cubanos!!!!!!!!

    @miktoxic said:

    damn mike. i better make it out to next year's tailgate cuz sounds like you're standing on thin ice my friend. hee hee.

    i got oxygen tanks and IVs......don't worry.

    oh and shirts and cubanos!!!!!!!!

    Don't forget the "scooter"!

    Mike