Skip to content

New OC again!

The Browns Board
196 49 9.6k
  • VesnaKociper said:

    This OC would consistenetly cal draw plays into a 9 man pile up................. resulting in 3d and 6.

    I know facts should be optional in a good rant, but we ran maybe 16 draws total all season long.

    @tml1138 said:

    I guess Bears QB coach Matt Cavanaugh is a candidate for OC. He worked with Pettine at the Jets...with Sanchez as QB no less, who is going to be available.

    And his assistant at the Jets was John DeFilippo, who then could be replacing Loggains as QB coach.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/01/former_bears_qb_coach_matt_cav.html

    Two things:

    1. Damn... Matt Cavanaugh is 58? How can that be?

    2. The article (by MKC) includes this line:

    "When Pettine took the Browns job last season, he was paired with Shanahan despite never having worked with him."

    I do not recall Kyle being forced on Pet, which is what she implies. More faulty memory here or more MKC mischief?

    @tour2ma said:

    I know facts should be optional in a good rant, but we ran maybe 16 draws total all season long.

    Two things:

    1. Damn... Matt Cavanaugh is 58? How can that be?

    2. The article (by MKC) includes this line:

    "When Pettine took the Browns job last season, he was paired with Shanahan despite never having worked with him."

    I do not recall Kyle being forced on Pet, which is what she implies. More faulty memory here or more MKC mischief?
    He was paired with Pettine and they had not been together previously. That's what happens when we interpret the story. Unless she used the words forced on. We take it and run with it.

    WSS

  • VesnaKociper said:

    This OC would consistenetly cal draw plays into a 9 man pile up................. resulting in 3d and 6.

    I know facts should be optional in a good rant, but we ran maybe 16 draws total all season long.

    @tml1138 said:

    I guess Bears QB coach Matt Cavanaugh is a candidate for OC. He worked with Pettine at the Jets...with Sanchez as QB no less, who is going to be available.

    And his assistant at the Jets was John DeFilippo, who then could be replacing Loggains as QB coach.

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/01/former_bears_qb_coach_matt_cav.html

    Two things:

    1. Damn... Matt Cavanaugh is 58? How can that be?

    2. The article (by MKC) includes this line:

    "When Pettine took the Browns job last season, he was paired with Shanahan despite never having worked with him."

    I do not recall Kyle being forced on Pet, which is what she implies. More faulty memory here or more MKC mischief?

    @tour2ma said:

    "When Pettine took the Browns job last season, he was paired with Shanahan despite never having worked with him."

    I do not recall Kyle being forced on Pet, which is what she implies. More faulty memory here or more MKC mischief?

    @westside-steve said:

    He was paired with Pettine and they had not been together previously. That's what happens when we interpret the story. Unless she used the words forced on. We take it and run with it.

    My memory is that Pettine was a very late hire and there were VERY limited pickins in terms of available coaches for his staff.....meaning all the best ones were already under contract.....

    When Shanahan was selected, there was some discussion that he and Pettine didn't even know each other and may have some philosophical differences....but he was the only viable one at the moment....

    So....like any other business....you can only hire from the available pool of talent....and then hope you got the right guy....

    Dont think Shanny was forced on anyone, but do think they "settled" for him....

    Considering Pettine had to hire a whole staff....and he was a new HC without an existing staff....it only stands to reason he may have to make some changes to get a whole group of coaches who are on the same page and have the same perspectives on how things should go....

  • Some shaking out... sure, but Shanny was a prized OC on the rise as I remember it and I did not see any play-calling that did not fit with a conservative, defense-minded HC. Then again, that might be the real rub... Shanny felt too constrained.

    In any event, thanks... reasonable stuff... especially since it "fingers" MKC and not my memory.

    There's an image you'll hate me for...

  • Here's an early article, which kind of takes me back to my memory of them seeming luke warm on him.....at the time, the Browns definitely weren't falling over themselves to hire him....

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320589/article/kyle-shanahan-longshot-for-cleveland-browns-oc-job

  • I hope and pray it's Cavanaugh, for personal reasons.

  • I'm pulling for Trestman or Weiss.

  • what are trestmans and Weiss's offensive philosophy? In any case we need to get back the O line coach that was here when Mangini was coaching.

  • Here's an early article, which kind of takes me back to my memory of them seeming luke warm on him.....at the time, the Browns definitely weren't falling over themselves to hire him....

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320589/article/kyle-shanahan-longshot-for-cleveland-browns-oc-job

    @mudfly said:

    Here's an early article, which kind of takes me back to my memory of them seeming luke warm on him.....at the time, the Browns definitely weren't falling over themselves to hire him....

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320589/article/kyle-shanahan-longshot-for-cleveland-browns-oc-job

    Yeah Mud, I thought he was "settled for" too, as they wanted Kubiak first. For some reason I recall Shanny being "last guy available" and nobody chased after the RG3 Washington mess. Now he's suddenly a hot HC prospect? Of course the media was trying to put the Browns down in every way possible last year too, after the whole shake down Haslam did, putting a spin on Shanny's hiring as desperate.

  • Our best offense came with a dedicated FB infront of one of our RB's. Establishing the run than PA passes over the top. I don't want to see another west coast or read the fag option or whatever here in Cleveland. Play AFC North football.

    @clevfan4life said:

    Our best offense came with a dedicated FB infront of one of our RB's. Establishing the run than PA passes over the top. I don't want to see another west coast or read the fag option or whatever here in Cleveland. Play AFC North football.

    I wondered what happened to the use of a FB. Even though we had two sub-par FBs, our best runs (and Manziel's best throw) were when a FB was in the lineup.

    I miss this position and I really hope they bring in a good FB who can block, pick up short-yardage, and catch the ball. It really seems to be a necessity if you're going "ground and pound."

  • I hope and pray it's Cavanaugh, for personal reasons.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I hope and pray it's Cavanaugh, for personal reasons.

    Word is that he is supposedly in the lead for the job.

  • what are trestmans and Weiss's offensive philosophy? In any case we need to get back the O line coach that was here when Mangini was coaching.

    @clevfan4life said:

    what are trestmans and Weiss's offensive philosophy? In any case we need to get back the O line coach that was here when Mangini was coaching.

    In ways similar to what we have now. Trestman and Weiss both use a solid amount of 11 and 21 personnel, singleback with zone blocking.

  • Weis hasn't been relevant for 10 years and drove two college programs, one being a pillar of college football, into the ground. Please god No. Trestman ran a pretty good offense but can't help that Jay Cutler sucks my left nut.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I hope and pray it's Cavanaugh, for personal reasons.

    Word is that he is supposedly in the lead for the job.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Word is that he is supposedly in the lead for the job.

    That's fantastic news.

    Cavanaugh and my father grew up together. Any time we discussed Browns coaching positions, my dad always brought up Cavanaugh. It was his number one response.

  • I wonder if Josh McDaniel is homesick for Ohio after spending all that time in New England (OC/QB coach) No one knows Hoyer better than him (if we decide to keep him). Offer our first round pick from Buffalo and throw in Johnny Sideshow. Let him work with Hoyer and Shaw a couple years while we put together the few remaining pieces (OL/NT/Tall WR's) As for the "elite QB?" If you build it he will come.

    GO BROWNS !

  • I wonder if Josh McDaniel is homesick for Ohio after spending all that time in New England (OC/QB coach) No one knows Hoyer better than him (if we decide to keep him). Offer our first round pick from Buffalo and throw in Johnny Sideshow. Let him work with Hoyer and Shaw a couple years while we put together the few remaining pieces (OL/NT/Tall WR's) As for the "elite QB?" If you build it he will come.

    GO BROWNS !

    @darkside5 said:

    I wonder if Josh McDaniel is homesick for Ohio after spending all that time in New England (OC/QB coach) No one knows Hoyer better than him (if we decide to keep him). Offer our first round pick from Buffalo and throw in Johnny Sideshow. Let him work with Hoyer and Shaw a couple years while we put together the few remaining pieces (OL/NT/Tall WR's) As for the "elite QB?" If you build it he will come.

    GO BROWNS !

    This is easily the dumbest thing I have ever read.

  • Josh McDaniels would not make a lateral move to Cleveland.

    I like Cavanaugh or Trestman the most I think.

    I definitely see both as upgrades to shanny

  • I didn't like shanny in D.C. and I didn't like him here. Glad there is a change in the making.

  • Cavanaugh made Trent Dilfer a Super Bowl winning QB. He gets my vote.

  • Cavanaugh made Trent Dilfer a Super Bowl winning QB. He gets my vote.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    The Ravens Defense made Trent Dilfer a Super Bowl winning QB. He gets my vote.

    Fixed it for you.

  • @bbedward said:

    His name is almost in the cowher league every time we have a coaching vacancy.

    Gruden wants to be the next John Madden.....a Super Bowl winning coach that goes on to a "Hall of Fame" announcing career. He is not in the market.....expecially not for an OC job. If he wanted anything he would take an HC job.

    But how about this name: Brian Billick. SB winning coach......but he too seems to want to stay in broadcasting....and certainly would not want to be an OC.

    @the-gipper said:

    Gruden wants to be the next John Madden.....a Super Bowl winning coach that goes on to a "Hall of Fame" announcing career. He is not in the market.....expecially not for an OC job. If he wanted anything he would take an HC job.

    But how about this name: Brian Billick. SB winning coach......but he too seems to want to stay in broadcasting....and certainly would not want to be an OC.

    Sorry- Billick has been called less flattering names- he's a condescending know-it-all prick.

    @westside-steve said:

    I just read that if Kyle Shanahan gets the job as head coach in Buffalo he will make a deal to trade a draft pick to take Johnny Manziel with him.

    Okay I didn't actually read it I heard it somewhere.

    Okay I didn't actually really hear it anywhere, I just made it up.

    Where do I get an application for beat reporter?

    WSS

    MKC school of rumor mongering, with no factual basis.

    @everlastingxxx said:

    Shows a lack of class.

    So he doesn't have the cutest family- except for the dog. & FWIW, me and dogs don't generally co exist very well- I've gotten bitten way too many times.