Skip to content

The Class of 2004 (vs. 1983?)

The Browns Board
8 3 327
  • Taking this off from another thread, the QB class of 2004 I believe will certainly rival if not surpass the accomplishments of the QB class of 1983. In that class you have Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Schaub AND Tony Romo. While Romo was not drafted that is the year he began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent.

    While the class of 1983 has had more SB appearances than 2004 (11 vs. 5 so far) 2004 has more SB wins: 4 vs. 2. While that is interesting, what I want to do here is to compare the "big 4 from 0h four". Eli, Rivers, BR, and Romo. Schaub has had a fairly productive career, it has not quite measured up to the other 4. So here are some Comparative statistics for those 4:

    Category..........Eli..........Romo.........Ben R...........Rivers

    Completions.....3308......2743.........3157...........3025

    Attempts..........5609........4210........4954..........4678

    Yards..............39,755.....33,270.....39, 057.......36,655

    Touchdowns....259..........242..........251...........252

    Rating.............82.4.........97.6.........93.9...........95.7

    Interceptions....185.........110..........131............122

    Yds. per game 235.2......220.3......245.6.........247.7

    Yds. per att.....7.1...........7.9..........7.9.............7.8

    Yds. per comp. 12.0.......12.1........12.4...........12.1

    Comp. %.........59.0........65.2........63.7...........64.7

    Int. %..............3.3...........2.6..........2.6............2.6

    TD%.............. 4.6...........5.7..........5.1..........5.4

    GWDS...........31.............28..........35............23 (game winning drives

    Combebacks...26..........24..............25..........20

    Record.........91-76......106-52.......75-48......88-56 (Rivers/Romo didn't play much first 2 years)

    Blue is leader in each category.

    From what I see is that all four of these fellers are real close in statistical measurements.

  • Taking this off from another thread, the QB class of 2004 I believe will certainly rival if not surpass the accomplishments of the QB class of 1983. In that class you have Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Schaub AND Tony Romo. While Romo was not drafted that is the year he began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent.

    While the class of 1983 has had more SB appearances than 2004 (11 vs. 5 so far) 2004 has more SB wins: 4 vs. 2. While that is interesting, what I want to do here is to compare the "big 4 from 0h four". Eli, Rivers, BR, and Romo. Schaub has had a fairly productive career, it has not quite measured up to the other 4. So here are some Comparative statistics for those 4:

    Category..........Eli..........Romo.........Ben R...........Rivers

    Completions.....3308......2743.........3157...........3025

    Attempts..........5609........4210........4954..........4678

    Yards..............39,755.....33,270.....39, 057.......36,655

    Touchdowns....259..........242..........251...........252

    Rating.............82.4.........97.6.........93.9...........95.7

    Interceptions....185.........110..........131............122

    Yds. per game 235.2......220.3......245.6.........247.7

    Yds. per att.....7.1...........7.9..........7.9.............7.8

    Yds. per comp. 12.0.......12.1........12.4...........12.1

    Comp. %.........59.0........65.2........63.7...........64.7

    Int. %..............3.3...........2.6..........2.6............2.6

    TD%.............. 4.6...........5.7..........5.1..........5.4

    GWDS...........31.............28..........35............23 (game winning drives

    Combebacks...26..........24..............25..........20

    Record.........91-76......106-52.......75-48......88-56 (Rivers/Romo didn't play much first 2 years)

    Blue is leader in each category.

    From what I see is that all four of these fellers are real close in statistical measurements.

    @the-gipper said:

    Taking this off from another thread, the QB class of 2004 I believe will certainly rival if not surpass the accomplishments of the QB class of 1983. In that class you have Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Matt Schaub AND Tony Romo. While Romo was not drafted that is the year he began his NFL career as an undrafted free agent.

    Ok. Here's my argument on Manning vs Rivers, since we have comparable stats for the 2. But, no matter what, would take Rivers over Flacco all day every day....

    First off...Im gonna highlight the stats to show a different perspective. Im removing the first group of "leader stats", because they aren't a reflection of performance, but simply a count of passes and the resulting #'s....it's what they did with those passes that matters more....an example of why would be Ely having 7 more TD's, but 1000 more attempts....

    Category..........Eli..........Romo.........Ben R...........Rivers

    Completions.....3308......2743.........3157...........3025

    Attempts..........5609........4210........4954..........4678

    Yards..............39,755.....33,270.....39, 057.......36,655

    Touchdowns....259..........242..........251...........252

    Interceptions....185.........110..........131............122

    So....considering the above attempts/completions/touchdowns/interceptions....let's highlight the LOWEST performance....

    Rating.............82.4.........97.6.........93.9...........95.7

    Yds. per game 235.2......220.3......245.6.........247.7

    Yds. per att.....7.1...........7.9..........7.9.............7.8

    Yds. per comp. 12.0.......12.1........12.4...........12.1

    Comp. %.........59.0........65.2........63.7...........64.7

    Int. %..............3.3...........2.6..........2.6............2.6

    TD%.............. 4.6...........5.7..........5.1..........5.4

    Now, looking at the above, I see a LOT of blue by Ely Manning...if fact, every catagory but yards per game. Every single catagory, he is the lowest. And the one category he wasn't lowest in is skewed because he threw more passes. This is evidenced by his lower yds per attempt and completion. And, honestly, he throws a lot more interceptions and a lot less TD's.

    And he accrued these #'s while on a MUCH better team than Phillip Rivers.

    So, my final argument for Rivers is...that to me...he is more like a Dan Marino....a player who looks and performs well, even on a bad team

    While Ely is someone who performs well, when others perform well.....and becomes very average when his team is average(Flacco too)

    GWDS...........31.............28..........35............23 (game winning drives

    Combebacks...26..........24..............25..........20

    Record.........91-76......106-52.......75-48......88-56 (Rivers/Romo didn't play much first 2 years)

    .

    From what I see is that all four of these fellers are real close in statistical measurements.

  • Well, that is lovely......but let's see how the categories go when things really count. Here are the Playoff only stats for these 4 guys:

    Category..........Eli..........Romo..........Ben R...........Rivers

    Completions....219.........99................279.................164

    Attempts..........356........166...............454................272

    Yards.............2516........1125...........3484...............2165

    Rating...........89.3,,,,,,,,,,87.0............83.3...............85.2

    Ints.............. 8...............2.................19.................9

    Comp. %......61.5.........59.6.............61.5...............60.3

    Int. %...........2.2..........1.2................4.2..................3.3

    TD %..........4.8...........3.6................4.6.................4.0

    GWD............5..............1................3.....................1

    Comebacks...4..............1................2....................1.

    Best stat in Blue, worst in Red

    So, what do we see? All those stats you had Eli not doing well in he improves in the postseason. What I see in Eli is a guy that brings it in the clutch....and that is missing from Romo and Rivers.

  • well....like I said....we could go on and on.....I like Rivers as the better QB over Ely.

    Again..I think Ely only looked great when his team was great. And while he has done well in the post season, his overall body of work is average.and, to me, it isnt enough for me to call him elite

    Ive never seen Rivers on a great team yet. And I dont think it's his fault his teams aren't great and I dont think Elys teams were great because of him.

    So, it's just one differing opinion....you'll live.....and Ill still take Rivers....🙂

  • well....like I said....we could go on and on.....I like Rivers as the better QB over Ely.

    Again..I think Ely only looked great when his team was great. And while he has done well in the post season, his overall body of work is average.and, to me, it isnt enough for me to call him elite

    Ive never seen Rivers on a great team yet. And I dont think it's his fault his teams aren't great and I dont think Elys teams were great because of him.

    So, it's just one differing opinion....you'll live.....and Ill still take Rivers....🙂

    @mudfly said:

    well....like I said....we could go on and on.....I like Rivers as the better QB over Ely.

    Again..I think Ely only looked great when his team was great. And while he has done well in the post season, his overall body of work is average.and, to me, it isnt enough for me to call him elite

    EIve never seen Rivers on a great team yet. And I dont think it's his fault his teams aren't great and I dont think Elys teams were great because of him.

    So, it's just one differing opinion....you'll live.....and Ill still take Rivers.... 🙂

    I agree with Mud on this one. Even though he calls him "Ely"

    Ely Mae?

    EllieMae.jpg

  • @mudfly said:

    well....like I said....we could go on and on.....I like Rivers as the better QB over Ely.

    Again..I think Ely only looked great when his team was great. And while he has done well in the post season, his overall body of work is average.and, to me, it isnt enough for me to call him elite

    EIve never seen Rivers on a great team yet. And I dont think it's his fault his teams aren't great and I dont think Elys teams were great because of him.

    So, it's just one differing opinion....you'll live.....and Ill still take Rivers.... 🙂

    I agree with Mud on this one. Even though he calls him "Ely"

    Ely Mae?

    EllieMae.jpg

    Zombo said:

    I agree with Mud on this one. Even though he calls him "Ely"

    Ely Mae?

    EllieMae.jpg

    HA!.....I realized that somewhere along the line. but wanted to stay consistent.....and was too lazy to go back and edit....

  • You say Ely?

    dvd-tarzan-vol2-ron-ely-novo-14142-MLB39