Skip to content

Who Plays Like A Brown?

The Browns Board
17 10 627
  • Just watch the video posted below of Browns players talking about who they thought were the players that best exemplified what "Play Like A Brown" means....to me, their opinions count more than any....

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Players-On-Who-Embodies-Play-Like-A-Brown/42aae7b8-f6c4-4ee8-b014-6bfaa144245c

    Refreshing to hear about the good ones, instead of the constant whining about who sucks the most.....

    My top 5 play like a brown D guys are.....Whitner, Dansby, Kruger, Haden and Gipson

    My top 5 O guys are.....Thomas, Mack, Bitonio, Crowell and ...um.......ok 4....

  • My bench marks are the Rutigliano Browns and the Schottenheimer Browns, based on that, HADEN, GIPSON, DANSBY, MACK, THOMAS , BITONIO thats about it for me I believe.

  • I do like the idea of changing the culture to a blue collar work ethic but slogans don't get you wins and unfortunately in today's society really good athletes can be spoiled brats. Also this "culture change" really hasn't taken place. If I were to ask you on this team who least "plays like a Brown" it wouldn't take you 3 guess to get to the glitz and glam of Johnny Football and he is "their" guy as is Justin Gilbert. Makes wonder if "play like a Brown" is more marketing strategy and less of a draft one.

  • I do like the idea of changing the culture to a blue collar work ethic but slogans don't get you wins and unfortunately in today's society really good athletes can be spoiled brats. Also this "culture change" really hasn't taken place. If I were to ask you on this team who least "plays like a Brown" it wouldn't take you 3 guess to get to the glitz and glam of Johnny Football and he is "their" guy as is Justin Gilbert. Makes wonder if "play like a Brown" is more marketing strategy and less of a draft one.

    @baconhound said:

    I do like the idea of changing the culture to a blue collar work ethic but slogans don't get you wins and unfortunately in today's society really good athletes can be spoiled brats. Also this "culture change" really hasn't taken place. If I were to ask you on this team who least "plays like a Brown" it wouldn't take you 3 guess to get to the glitz and glam of Johnny Football and he is "their" guy as is Justin Gilbert. Makes wonder if "play like a Brown" is more marketing strategy and less of a draft one.

    Well that didn't take long...you got right to "who sucks the most"....thanks for the refreshing view.

    And I think Pettine IS changing the culture, but it takes more than slogans and one season to accomplish it....

  • Mudfly I agree with you 100 percent on Pettine but there is no escaping JM is the total opposite of the team identity Pettine brings to the Browns.

  • I'm not sure what "play like a Brown" means.

    For the past 16 years most Browns have played like crap.

  • @baconhound said:

    I do like the idea of changing the culture to a blue collar work ethic but slogans don't get you wins and unfortunately in today's society really good athletes can be spoiled brats. Also this "culture change" really hasn't taken place. If I were to ask you on this team who least "plays like a Brown" it wouldn't take you 3 guess to get to the glitz and glam of Johnny Football and he is "their" guy as is Justin Gilbert. Makes wonder if "play like a Brown" is more marketing strategy and less of a draft one.

    Well that didn't take long...you got right to "who sucks the most"....thanks for the refreshing view.

    And I think Pettine IS changing the culture, but it takes more than slogans and one season to accomplish it....

    @mudfly said:

    Well that didn't take long...you got right to "who sucks the most"....thanks for the refreshing view.

    And I think Pettine IS changing the culture, but it takes more than slogans and one season to accomplish it....

    Not who sucks the most, that'd be ex Brown great Billy Cundiff.

    For me "play like a Brown" would be hard nosed, blood on the pants ass kicking aka TJ Ward most recently and Hanford Dixon in the past.

    If I was weighing in I'd probably throw Robertson and Dansby as the only guys who fit that mold.

    As you know Mud I'm a "Keep Josh Gordon" guy and I don't think he fits that mold

  • Mudfly I agree with you 100 percent on Pettine but there is no escaping JM is the total opposite of the team identity Pettine brings to the Browns.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    Mudfly I agree with you 100 percent on Pettine but there is no escaping JM is the total opposite of the team identity Pettine brings to the Browns.

    No escaping that....that's for sure

    @baconhound said:

    For me "play like a Brown" would be hard nosed, blood on the pants ass kicking aka TJ Ward most recently and Hanford Dixon in the past.

    If I was weighing in I'd probably throw Robertson and Dansby as the only guys who fit that mold.

    As you know Mud I'm a "Keep Josh Gordon" guy and I don't think he fits that mold

    and I agree with your "hard nosed, blood on the pants ass kicking " type of description.....(cept the TJ thing....he was a cry baby behind the scenes, promise)........

    none the less, I dont think we will ever have 54 "play a Brown" guys at the same time....never ever.....so, Id say if we're gonna be stuck with players who dont meet those character standards....Id rather they be a Gordon or Suh, than a Manziel or Cundiff

  • Just watch the video posted below of Browns players talking about who they thought were the players that best exemplified what "Play Like A Brown" means....to me, their opinions count more than any....

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Players-On-Who-Embodies-Play-Like-A-Brown/42aae7b8-f6c4-4ee8-b014-6bfaa144245c

    Refreshing to hear about the good ones, instead of the constant whining about who sucks the most.....

    My top 5 play like a brown D guys are.....Whitner, Dansby, Kruger, Haden and Gipson

    My top 5 O guys are.....Thomas, Mack, Bitonio, Crowell and ...um.......ok 4....

    @mudfly said:

    My top 5 play like a brown D guys are.....Whitner, Dansby, Kruger, Haden and Gipson

    My top 5 O guys are.....Thomas, Mack, Bitonio, Crowell and ...um.......ok 4....

    Don't see a guy who did not practice well enough to see the field let alone start some weeks... so I'd drop Crow. And even with him out there a plenty more including Greco and even Schwartz, both of whom I believe played every snap.

    But there are even more O-side nominees to be made including Gabe and Austin, but my top addition would be Dray.

    D-side you have to give Mingo an honorable mention at minimum given the shoulder issues that he played through.

  • @mudfly said:

    My top 5 play like a brown D guys are.....Whitner, Dansby, Kruger, Haden and Gipson

    My top 5 O guys are.....Thomas, Mack, Bitonio, Crowell and ...um.......ok 4....

    Don't see a guy who did not practice well enough to see the field let alone start some weeks... so I'd drop Crow. And even with him out there a plenty more including Greco and even Schwartz, both of whom I believe played every snap.

    But there are even more O-side nominees to be made including Gabe and Austin, but my top addition would be Dray.

    D-side you have to give Mingo an honorable mention at minimum given the shoulder issues that he played through.

    @tour2ma said:

    Don't see a guy who did not practice well enough to see the field let alone start some weeks... so I'd drop Crow. And even with him out there a plenty more including Greco and even Schwartz, both of whom I believe played every snap.

    But there are even more O-side nominees to be made including Gabe and Austin, but my top addition would be Dray.

    D-side you have to give Mingo an honorable mention at minimum given the shoulder issues that he played through.

    Yeah...I gave it to Crow only because the other guys in the room, Tate and West, were supposed to be the stars. But they ended up acting a bit schmuckish, while Crow just shut his mouth and played.....

    Nod to those others though, because I considered them all....dray too....😉

    But Mingo?......ehhhh....props for playing hurt, but he still cant tackle....

  • No love for Greco? When he wasn't playing out of position he was great

  • No love for Greco? When he wasn't playing out of position he was great

    @comeonman said:

    No love for Greco? When he wasn't playing out of position he was great

    Shanahan's zone blocking scheme doesn't really lend itself to offensive lineman pancaking players

  • I'm not sure what "play like a Brown" means.

    For the past 16 years most Browns have played like crap.

    @browns149 said:

    I'm not sure what "play like a Brown" means.

    For the past 16 years most Browns have played like crap.

    man it hurts. But damn that is funny, thanks for the laugh and I got to agree,am out no further comment needed
  • @comeonman said:

    No love for Greco? When he wasn't playing out of position he was great

    Shanahan's zone blocking scheme doesn't really lend itself to offensive lineman pancaking players

    @baconhound said:

    Shanahan's zone blocking scheme doesn't really lend itself to offensive lineman pancaking players

    Shanawho?
  • They should change their slogan to "play like the Patriots or Seahawks" maybe they'd win some games. Play like a Brown? How about DONT PLAY LIKE A BROWN! And then demand Farmer to NOT DRAFT LIKE A BROWN.

  • No love for Greco? When he wasn't playing out of position he was great

    @comeonman said:

    No love for Greco? When he wasn't playing out of position he was great

    Even during his brief stint at Center he did well. I had him +9 vs. PTG and -6 vs. JAX. While the latter was not good, next to McQuistan's -25 it looked brilliant!

    @baconhound said:

    Shanahan's zone blocking scheme doesn't really lend itself to offensive lineman pancaking players

    Which is why Greco shed weight, played great and, I'd bet, still led the O-line in "pancakes".

  • Bitonio on O and Kruger on D. Tough and tenacious on every play.