What's The Plan?
-
If plan A is starting Manziel I hope they have a good plan B. I like Connor Shaw but he does not have the arm strength. Defenses will soon shut him down with his inability to throw the long ball. Hoyer most likely will be gone. I don't see Manziel ever making it in the NFL and I see the CFL in his future where his style of play may actually work. I don't see the Browns giving up valuable draft picks to trade up for a QB when they have serious needs on both sides of the ball. Maybe there is a good mid round prospect? Mudfly showed a few of them that looked good. I think they need to find the best veteran quarterback and that is their best bet.
-
i think first of all they have to get their OC in place. once that's done i'm sure there will be some type of high-level meeting to discuss exactly what you're talking about.
keep manziel or trade him if there are offers? but then there'll be 2 QB spots open. maybe a vet to ride it out until next year while they draft another rookie QB somewhere in the mid rounds?
a lot will depend on whether or not farmer, pettine and the OC are sold on manziel and if they think the kid is coachable and will actually progress.
another problem is the browns aren't the only team looking for that QB gem. i think you'll see some trades for team's #2s and if the browns don't make a play for a decent FA or someone's backup they'll be picking from the bottom of the barrel in june.
that's why it's important to get this OC in place as soon as possible so they can cement a plan. IMO they are moving way too slow.
-
I think Haslam and Farmer should let Pettine make the call on the OC and just tell him who do you want and then go out and try and make it happen (and like you say be quick about it but take enough time to get it right as well).
As they plan for this year I am sure Pettine is looking back at what caused the collapse at the end of the year. At one point 6-3 and first in the division and how they ended up at 7-9? Sometimes in going forward it is important to look back.
-
Plan for what? Offense, defense, special teams?
Offense:
A. Get new OC
B. Bring in a different veteran QB, not Hoyer, to start
C. Bring in a FA WR
D. Draft a WR and a OL in the first few rounds.
E. Try to resign Cameron Jordan....or is it Jordan Cameron?
Defense
A. Try to retain most of our FAs (but a couple will probably go)
B. Draft replacements on DL and LB
C. Go after more quality defenders in FA
Special Teams
A. Get a goddamn return guy (s
B. Get a goddamn return guy
C. Get a goddamn return guy
D. Get a gunner.
E. To accomplish ABC....steal Torrey Smith from the Ravens.
-
Plan for what? Offense, defense, special teams?
They need help in all those areas.
As for special teams this year I wish they just would have just taken a knee in the end zone after every kick off as it got frustrating so many times never getting the ball out past the 12 to 15 yard line.
The main plan should be for this club to get out of the cellar every year. There is no good reason any NFL team should have been as bad as the Browns the past 15 years.
-
I don't crunch the numbers like some who post here. I have no doubt there are some here who if given the chance would have drafted much better than the people making the big bucks for the past 15 years. Draft picks are a terrible thing to waste.
-
Plan for what? Offense, defense, special teams?
Offense:
A. Get new OC
B. Bring in a different veteran QB, not Hoyer, to start
C. Bring in a FA WR
D. Draft a WR and a OL in the first few rounds.
E. Try to resign Cameron Jordan....or is it Jordan Cameron?
Defense
A. Try to retain most of our FAs (but a couple will probably go)
B. Draft replacements on DL and LB
C. Go after more quality defenders in FA
Special Teams
A. Get a goddamn return guy (s
B. Get a goddamn return guy
C. Get a goddamn return guy
D. Get a gunner.
E. To accomplish ABC....steal Torrey Smith from the Ravens.
Plan for what? Offense, defense, special teams?
Offense:
A. Get new OC
B. Bring in a different veteran QB, not Hoyer, to start
C. Bring in a FA WR
D. Draft a WR and a OL in the first few rounds.
E. Try to resign Cameron Jordan....or is it Jordan Cameron?
Defense
A. Try to retain most of our FAs (but a couple will probably go)
B. Draft replacements on DL and LB
C. Go after more quality defenders in FA
Special Teams
A. Get a goddamn return guy (s
B. Get a goddamn return guy
C. Get a goddamn return guy
D. Get a gunner.
E. To accomplish ABC....steal Torrey Smith from the Ravens.
for E) love the guy to death but I would far prefer seeing us get Julius Thomas, I really think he will hit the market
-
Trey Williams totally underutilized RB was the fastest, shiftiest guy on the whole A&M team with excellent balance and open field moves. He would be good in late rounds or as undrafted free agent the Browns would have nothing to lose by taking a look. #4 RB overall out of HS one slot behind Yeldon from Bama (Amari Cooper was #46 overall, Yeldon #55 and TW #56 in ESPN Top 100), but faster. He has the potential to double as a ko/punt returner and as a RB. Very good hands. Whoever gets him gets a steal if he is undrafted. I think he also has potential in the slot on the order of all those little bastards who've done well like Amandola and Welker.
He did not fit Sumlin's system so rarely was in the game. RB in that system has to be a bad ass blocker and he was just too small. He still averaged 6.9 ypc when he was in though.
-
Plan for what? Offense, defense, special teams?
Offense:
A. Get new OC
B. Bring in a different veteran QB, not Hoyer, to start
C. Bring in a FA WR
D. Draft a WR and a OL in the first few rounds.
E. Try to resign Cameron Jordan....or is it Jordan Cameron?
Defense
A. Try to retain most of our FAs (but a couple will probably go)
B. Draft replacements on DL and LB
C. Go after more quality defenders in FA
Special Teams
A. Get a goddamn return guy (s
B. Get a goddamn return guy
C. Get a goddamn return guy
D. Get a gunner.
E. To accomplish ABC....steal Torrey Smith from the Ravens.
for E) love the guy to death but I would far prefer seeing us get Julius Thomas, I really think he will hit the market
-
Trey Williams totally underutilized RB was the fastest, shiftiest guy on the whole A&M team with excellent balance and open field moves. He would be good in late rounds or as undrafted free agent the Browns would have nothing to lose by taking a look. #4 RB overall out of HS one slot behind Yeldon from Bama (Amari Cooper was #46 overall, Yeldon #55 and TW #56 in ESPN Top 100), but faster. He has the potential to double as a ko/punt returner and as a RB. Very good hands. Whoever gets him gets a steal if he is undrafted. I think he also has potential in the slot on the order of all those little bastards who've done well like Amandola and Welker.
He did not fit Sumlin's system so rarely was in the game. RB in that system has to be a bad ass blocker and he was just too small. He still averaged 6.9 ypc when he was in though.
Trey Williams totally underutilized RB was the fastest, shiftiest guy on the whole A&M team with excellent balance and open field moves. He would be good in late rounds or as undrafted free agent the Browns would have nothing to lose by taking a look. #4 RB overall out of HS one slot behind Yeldon from Bama (Amari Cooper was #46 overall, Yeldon #55 and TW #56 in ESPN Top 100), but faster. He has the potential to double as a ko/punt returner and as a RB. Very good hands. Whoever gets him gets a steal if he is undrafted. I think he also has potential in the slot on the order of all those little bastards who've done well like Amandola and Welker.
He did not fit Sumlin's system so rarely was in the game. RB in that system has to be a bad ass blocker and he was just too small. He still averaged 6.9 ypc when he was in though.
Any other second/third stringers you want to recommend? (spelled it right this time)
-
Spend more. That 30 mill under the cap we always end up with probably could buy more talent.
-
Trey Williams totally underutilized RB was the fastest, shiftiest guy on the whole A&M team with excellent balance and open field moves. He would be good in late rounds or as undrafted free agent the Browns would have nothing to lose by taking a look. #4 RB overall out of HS one slot behind Yeldon from Bama (Amari Cooper was #46 overall, Yeldon #55 and TW #56 in ESPN Top 100), but faster. He has the potential to double as a ko/punt returner and as a RB. Very good hands. Whoever gets him gets a steal if he is undrafted. I think he also has potential in the slot on the order of all those little bastards who've done well like Amandola and Welker.
He did not fit Sumlin's system so rarely was in the game. RB in that system has to be a bad ass blocker and he was just too small. He still averaged 6.9 ypc when he was in though.
Any other second/third stringers you want to recommend? (spelled it right this time)
Any other second/third stringers you want to recommend? (spelled it right this time)
I'm just saying it would likely cost the Browns no draft choice to bring in a guy who was not used they way he should have been. I'm also telling you he is one really good runback specialist which this team needs desperately. Far better than anyone on the roster now for that job and has real potential as a slot man with speed, moves and quicks in the open field. Our loss to ignore the possibilities he presents at next to nothing in cost.
PS-they rotated the 3 main backs so he was not exactly 3rd string. Against some teams he started out first.
-
I say sign Tim Tebow and play to his strengths, which also suit Manzell.
I did see Tebow win in the NFL, even at the playoff level.
-
I say sign Tim Tebow and play to his strengths, which also suit Manzell.
I did see Tebow win in the NFL, even at the playoff level.
-
OC like now. Trestman I trust, Bears could move the ball. I do not like OC from with in, but I see it coming.. OC must be involved with FA and draft and decisions got to be made at QB,OL,TE and WR's..The draft starts at number 4 with Oakland on the board and Amari Cooper coming off the board and I say package Gordon
-
Plan for what? Offense, defense, special teams?
Offense:
A. Get new OC
B. Bring in a different veteran QB, not Hoyer, to start
C. Bring in a FA WR
D. Draft a WR and a OL in the first few rounds.
E. Try to resign Cameron Jordan....or is it Jordan Cameron?
Defense
A. Try to retain most of our FAs (but a couple will probably go)
B. Draft replacements on DL and LB
C. Go after more quality defenders in FA
Special Teams
A. Get a goddamn return guy (s
B. Get a goddamn return guy
C. Get a goddamn return guy
D. Get a gunner.
E. To accomplish ABC....steal Torrey Smith from the Ravens.
for E) love the guy to death but I would far prefer seeing us get Julius Thomas, I really think he will hit the market
-
OC like now. Trestman I trust, Bears could move the ball. I do not like OC from with in, but I see it coming.. OC must be involved with FA and draft and decisions got to be made at QB,OL,TE and WR's..The draft starts at number 4 with Oakland on the board and Amari Cooper coming off the board and I say package Gordon
OC like now. Trestman I trust, Bears could move the ball. I do not like OC from with in, but I see it coming.. OC must be involved with FA and draft and decisions got to be made at QB,OL,TE and WR's..The draft starts at number 4 with Oakland on the board and Amari Cooper coming off the board and I say package Gordon
it'd take A LOT to move up to get cooper.
why throw half our draft away when the team needs a lot of help at so many positions (particularly onthe LOS)? remember how OSU won the national championship? yep, dominating the LOS with a good running game. things that have worked since the beginning of time.
-
OC like now. Trestman I trust, Bears could move the ball. I do not like OC from with in, but I see it coming.. OC must be involved with FA and draft and decisions got to be made at QB,OL,TE and WR's..The draft starts at number 4 with Oakland on the board and Amari Cooper coming off the board and I say package Gordon
it'd take A LOT to move up to get cooper.
why throw half our draft away when the team needs a lot of help at so many positions (particularly onthe LOS)? remember how OSU won the national championship? yep, dominating the LOS with a good running game. things that have worked since the beginning of time.
Totally agree on LOS but with Mack returning it's a hell lot better.We need better backups on OL and first round picks are starters not backups, unless you are named gilbert or manziel..it'd take A LOT to move up to get cooper.
why throw half our draft away when the team needs a lot of help at so many positions (particularly onthe LOS)? remember how OSU won the national championship? yep, dominating the LOS with a good running game. things that have worked since the beginning of time.
-
Totally agree on LOS but with Mack returning it's a hell lot better.We need better backups on OL and first round picks are starters not backups, unless you are named gilbert or manziel..it'd take A LOT to move up to get cooper.
why throw half our draft away when the team needs a lot of help at so many positions (particularly onthe LOS)? remember how OSU won the national championship? yep, dominating the LOS with a good running game. things that have worked since the beginning of time.
Totally agree on LOS but with Mack returning it's a hell lot better.We need better backups on OL and first round picks are starters not backups, unless you are named gilbert or manziel..
hopefully ONE of the OL they draft will be a flex guy who might be mack's backup or replacement. who knows how he comes back from his injury. then there's the DL and LBs we need. i know we need WRs but there's gotta be guys on farmer's board that won't cost us future picks.
but hey, if you can move up and grab someone you want because you throw gordon in the pot......i'm all for it. hell throw manziel in there too and move up another spot or two, lol.
-
They need to get an OT that can beat Schwartz for the RT job and replace JT when he eventually retires. Schwartz then becomes that solid depth we need on the line. We still need to also get a center to back up Mack, too. If it were my call I'd go OT and DT in the first round, WR in the second, and QB and Center in third and fourth.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login