Skip to content

What's The Plan?

The Browns Board
71 23 3.2k
  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic
    #45

    i likeD bradford when he first came into the league........but st. louis did him no favors buy never building that OL until recently and he still gets hurt. when does a guy like that get written off as 'done'? i'm sure he can still whip the ball around but another injury and he'll be doing it from a wheelchair.

    i'll wait to watch the combines and the tape they throw up of the kids coming into this year's draft before making any comments on the QB class. last year i think there were some guys we missed out on in the later rounds (but that's where farmer found the gems) even though i was of the mindset not to draft a QB at all. i liked that kid fales who's now in chicago......... i'm sure there are some guys like that who'll be around later in the draft who could easily beat out manziel, if he's still around.

  • @osiris said:

    I agree I think Manziel was forced on Farmer despite claims Farmer made otherwise. I think Farmer would havr taken Bridgewater or Carr. Gilbert was Pettine's pick. We can only hope Farmer is giving Haslam a big dose of I told you so and Haslam will stay out of it tbis year. I think this year we will make good on our first round picks.

    Though Framer made the Johnny Flopball pick, I can't help but feel Haslam was whispering how cool it would be to get some much needed publicity.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    This is supposed to be one of the best free agent classes in years, except for the QB. Mallet, Hoyer and maybe Locker. Unless it is not possible, I would franchise tag Hoyer. Yes they are paying out the ass, but 2016 there are a TON of FA. I know some are not ideal, just making the list. Manning, Ben, Rivers, Bradford, Newton, Luck, Daniel (under rated IMO), Tannehill, and Weeden (jk). Just an idea.

    The only one on that list that might be available is Bradford. Mannning will probably retire,The rest are untouchable.

    OsirisO Osiris wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @hoorta said:

    Though Framer made the Johnny Flopball pick, I can't help but feel Haslam was whispering how cool it would be to get some much needed publicity.

    The only one on that list that might be available is Bradford. Mannning will probably retire,The rest are untouchable.

    To be blunt, I think Farmer is playing word games to protect his boss. Sure, maybe he went through the motions to make the pick, but I still think Haslam told him to make it. It's the only thing that makes sense given how well he drafted from the second round on.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    If plan A is starting Manziel I hope they have a good plan B. I like Connor Shaw but he does not have the arm strength. Defenses will soon shut him down with his inability to throw the long ball. Hoyer most likely will be gone. I don't see Manziel ever making it in the NFL and I see the CFL in his future where his style of play may actually work. I don't see the Browns giving up valuable draft picks to trade up for a QB when they have serious needs on both sides of the ball. Maybe there is a good mid round prospect? Mudfly showed a few of them that looked good. I think they need to find the best veteran quarterback and that is their best bet.

    This is supposed to be one of the best free agent classes in years, except for the QB. Mallet, Hoyer and maybe Locker. Unless it is not possible, I would franchise tag Hoyer. Yes they are paying out the ass, but 2016 there are a TON of FA. I know some are not ideal, just making the list. Manning, Ben, Rivers, Bradford, Newton, Luck, Daniel (under rated IMO), Tannehill, and Weeden (jk). Just an idea.

    OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @kosar_for_president said:

    This is supposed to be one of the best free agent classes in years, except for the QB. Mallet, Hoyer and maybe Locker. Unless it is not possible, I would franchise tag Hoyer. Yes they are paying out the ass, but 2016 there are a TON of FA. I know some are not ideal, just making the list. Manning, Ben, Rivers, Bradford, Newton, Luck, Daniel (under rated IMO), Tannehill, and Weeden (jk). Just an idea.

    I think Hoyer gives us the best shot at winning this season. Even more so with the improvements he should have on offense especially on the O line. I like the idea of Hoyer resigning with the Browns (even if we have to overpay to keep him) and then in 2016 with so many veteran qb's available going after the best one we can get. That is a plan I would go with.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    This is supposed to be one of the best free agent classes in years, except for the QB. Mallet, Hoyer and maybe Locker. Unless it is not possible, I would franchise tag Hoyer. Yes they are paying out the ass, but 2016 there are a TON of FA. I know some are not ideal, just making the list. Manning, Ben, Rivers, Bradford, Newton, Luck, Daniel (under rated IMO), Tannehill, and Weeden (jk). Just an idea.

    I think Hoyer gives us the best shot at winning this season. Even more so with the improvements he should have on offense especially on the O line. I like the idea of Hoyer resigning with the Browns (even if we have to overpay to keep him) and then in 2016 with so many veteran qb's available going after the best one we can get. That is a plan I would go with.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    I think Hoyer gives us the best shot at winning this season. Even more so with the improvements he should have on offense especially on the O line. I like the idea of Hoyer resigning with the Browns (even if we have to overpay to keep him) and then in 2016 with so many veteran qb's available going after the best one we can get. That is a plan I would go with.

    signing hoyer might be the solution for next year and the near future depending on well he performs. if he does good then i'd guess that plan of signing a vet in 2016 would go out the window, correct?

    that being said it still doesn't address finding the QB of the future. i mean if hoyer (or the vet if we had to sign one) played great how many years would they give us until you have to draft the kid to be the franchise for ten years. (yeah like that happens right?)

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    I think Hoyer gives us the best shot at winning this season. Even more so with the improvements he should have on offense especially on the O line. I like the idea of Hoyer resigning with the Browns (even if we have to overpay to keep him) and then in 2016 with so many veteran qb's available going after the best one we can get. That is a plan I would go with.

    signing hoyer might be the solution for next year and the near future depending on well he performs. if he does good then i'd guess that plan of signing a vet in 2016 would go out the window, correct?

    that being said it still doesn't address finding the QB of the future. i mean if hoyer (or the vet if we had to sign one) played great how many years would they give us until you have to draft the kid to be the franchise for ten years. (yeah like that happens right?)

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @miktoxic said:

    signing hoyer might be the solution for next year and the near future depending on well he performs. if he does good then i'd guess that plan of signing a vet in 2016 would go out the window, correct?

    that being said it still doesn't address finding the QB of the future. i mean if hoyer (or the vet if we had to sign one) played great how many years would they give us until you have to draft the kid to be the franchise for ten years. (yeah like that happens right?)

    Key here is getting a decent OC & QB Coach. Last year, we had 2 QBs with crappy footwork & mechanics ALL YEAR, yet neither of our offensive (literally) guys could fix either. Hoyer was a shadow of what he was pre-injury & should be correctable. I would like to know what our last QB Coach DID last year?

    Seems to me that, before the injury, Hoyer was throwing his receivers open consistently & is worth the time & effort to get back to that.

    Mike

  • @miktoxic said:

    signing hoyer might be the solution for next year and the near future depending on well he performs. if he does good then i'd guess that plan of signing a vet in 2016 would go out the window, correct?

    that being said it still doesn't address finding the QB of the future. i mean if hoyer (or the vet if we had to sign one) played great how many years would they give us until you have to draft the kid to be the franchise for ten years. (yeah like that happens right?)

    Key here is getting a decent OC & QB Coach. Last year, we had 2 QBs with crappy footwork & mechanics ALL YEAR, yet neither of our offensive (literally) guys could fix either. Hoyer was a shadow of what he was pre-injury & should be correctable. I would like to know what our last QB Coach DID last year?

    Seems to me that, before the injury, Hoyer was throwing his receivers open consistently & is worth the time & effort to get back to that.

    Mike

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #50

    @canton-mike said:

    Key here is getting a decent OC & QB Coach. Last year, we had 2 QBs with crappy footwork & mechanics ALL YEAR, yet neither of our offensive (literally) guys could fix either. Hoyer was a shadow of what he was pre-injury & should be correctable. I would like to know what our last QB Coach DID last year?

    Seems to me that, before the injury, Hoyer was throwing his receivers open consistently & is worth the time & effort to get back to that.

    Mike

    i think the QBs coach was manziel's friend, lol. i don't know how he got that job. he was part of the problem and i believe the OL injuries was another. he (hoyer) started feeling pressure when there was none. he got a bad case of happy feet and was throwing off his back foot a lot.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #51

    Hoyer started 2014 on pace to better his pre-injury stats. That all changed when Mack went down against PTG and took any consistency in the run game with him.

    And then came the "happy feet phantom"...

    Brian would be a viable, near-term option, but I do not see him accepting any deal that smacked of one-more and done-more.

  • @kosar_for_president said:

    Either way bro, be the bigger man, and if we see it more, he will be banned.

    Seriously why aren't you guys cracking down like this on the politics forum.

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #52

    @osiris said:

    Seriously why aren't you guys cracking down like this on the politics forum.

    Because I don't go in there anymore. I barely come here and just saw this one instance.

  • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by Kosar_For_President
    #53

    Any way you slice it, we are fucked. We need one lucky draft is the way I see it, which NEVER happens to the Browns. What's everyone's thoughts on Grayson, Hundley or Mannion?

    Or just select all QB's and whoever doesn't work out turn in a WR. LOL

  • @osiris said:

    I agree I think Manziel was forced on Farmer despite claims Farmer made otherwise. I think Farmer would havr taken Bridgewater or Carr. Gilbert was Pettine's pick. We can only hope Farmer is giving Haslam a big dose of I told you so and Haslam will stay out of it tbis year. I think this year we will make good on our first round picks.

    Though Framer made the Johnny Flopball pick, I can't help but feel Haslam was whispering how cool it would be to get some much needed publicity.

    @kosar_for_president said:

    This is supposed to be one of the best free agent classes in years, except for the QB. Mallet, Hoyer and maybe Locker. Unless it is not possible, I would franchise tag Hoyer. Yes they are paying out the ass, but 2016 there are a TON of FA. I know some are not ideal, just making the list. Manning, Ben, Rivers, Bradford, Newton, Luck, Daniel (under rated IMO), Tannehill, and Weeden (jk). Just an idea.

    The only one on that list that might be available is Bradford. Mannning will probably retire,The rest are untouchable.

    Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @hoorta said:

    Though Framer made the Johnny Flopball pick, I can't help but feel Haslam was whispering how cool it would be to get some much needed publicity.

    The only one on that list that might be available is Bradford. Mannning will probably retire,The rest are untouchable.

    Maybe Daniel?

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #55

    I see the Browns going one of two different directions. They have 2 first round draft picks and more draft picks overall than any other NFL team so they could do some trading to get the franchise quarterback such as Winston. The other option is to use those picks to shore up so many other areas that are needed and just try and sign Hoyer and if that cannot be done get a veteran FA quarterback. The bad thing this year is the highest rated veteran QB is Mark Sanchez which shows me how slim the pickings are.

    The best option I see would be resigning Hoyer if possible, and use their draft picks to shore up the team on both sides of the ball. I really see little chance of Manziel starting. 3rd string qb Connor Shaw outplayed him with the little preparation he had against the Ravens.

    I thought Garrett Hartley looked like a good enough place kicker after he replaced Cundiff.

  • Bradford isn't worth a bag of dicks. He's barely average.. even when completely healthy, which isn't often.

    Let Hoyer walk, he's not worth anything close to what his demands are.

    Draft Grayson in the second and let him beat Partyboy.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #56

    @unsympathetic said:

    Bradford isn't worth a bag of dicks. He's barely average.. even when completely healthy, which isn't often.

    Let Hoyer walk, he's not worth anything close to what his demands are.

    Draft Grayson in the second and let him beat Partyboy.

    Actually- Bradford isn't that bad- when healthy- which isn't often. Regarding Hoyer- haven't heard what his demands (actually agent's) are. Possible he might give the Browns a hometown discount.

    PS Per ESPN the Colts are already working on a contract extension for Luck. & really franchise quarterbacks are never allowed to test FA if healthy. The only reason the Colts let Manning go is there were questions about his neck, and they had Luck waiting in the wings.

    @miktoxic said:

    signing hoyer might be the solution for next year and the near future depending on well he performs. if he does good then i'd guess that plan of signing a vet in 2016 would go out the window, correct?

    that being said it still doesn't address finding the QB of the future. i mean if hoyer (or the vet if we had to sign one) played great how many years would they give us until you have to draft the kid to be the franchise for ten years. (yeah like that happens right?)

    Hah- half kidding with this one Mik. Let Manziel start, prove beyond a doubt he's total garbage, Browns go 1-15. "With the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Browns select Cardale Jones, quarterback Ohio State."

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #57

    It will be Manziel, Shaw and a washed up bum/unproven benchwarmer all competing for the job. No team with a QB worth anything is going to trade him. The Browns could draft again but not sure starting Brett Hundley is the answer either. Unfortunately good QBs are like aces on a pitching staff but NFL teams don't worry about salary implications.

  • I see the Browns going one of two different directions. They have 2 first round draft picks and more draft picks overall than any other NFL team so they could do some trading to get the franchise quarterback such as Winston. The other option is to use those picks to shore up so many other areas that are needed and just try and sign Hoyer and if that cannot be done get a veteran FA quarterback. The bad thing this year is the highest rated veteran QB is Mark Sanchez which shows me how slim the pickings are.

    The best option I see would be resigning Hoyer if possible, and use their draft picks to shore up the team on both sides of the ball. I really see little chance of Manziel starting. 3rd string qb Connor Shaw outplayed him with the little preparation he had against the Ravens.

    I thought Garrett Hartley looked like a good enough place kicker after he replaced Cundiff.

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    I see the Browns going one of two different directions. They have 2 first round draft picks and more draft picks overall than any other NFL team so they could do some trading to get the franchise quarterback such as Winston. The other option is to use those picks to shore up so many other areas that are needed and just try and sign Hoyer and if that cannot be done get a veteran FA quarterback. The bad thing this year is the highest rated veteran QB is Mark Sanchez which shows me how slim the pickings are.

    The best option I see would be resigning Hoyer if possible, and use their draft picks to shore up the team on both sides of the ball. I really see little chance of Manziel starting. 3rd string qb Connor Shaw outplayed him with the little preparation he had against the Ravens.

    I thought Garrett Hartley looked like a good enough place kicker after he replaced Cundiff.

    i don't see farmer playing that game of giving away a ton of stuff for one of the 2 top QBs. and all those picks.........we'll need them. i count 4 picks that should go towards OL and DL. then you got your LBs and skill positions. and let's not forget the kicking game.

  • @unsympathetic said:

    Bradford isn't worth a bag of dicks. He's barely average.. even when completely healthy, which isn't often.

    Let Hoyer walk, he's not worth anything close to what his demands are.

    Draft Grayson in the second and let him beat Partyboy.

    Actually- Bradford isn't that bad- when healthy- which isn't often. Regarding Hoyer- haven't heard what his demands (actually agent's) are. Possible he might give the Browns a hometown discount.

    PS Per ESPN the Colts are already working on a contract extension for Luck. & really franchise quarterbacks are never allowed to test FA if healthy. The only reason the Colts let Manning go is there were questions about his neck, and they had Luck waiting in the wings.

    @miktoxic said:

    signing hoyer might be the solution for next year and the near future depending on well he performs. if he does good then i'd guess that plan of signing a vet in 2016 would go out the window, correct?

    that being said it still doesn't address finding the QB of the future. i mean if hoyer (or the vet if we had to sign one) played great how many years would they give us until you have to draft the kid to be the franchise for ten years. (yeah like that happens right?)

    Hah- half kidding with this one Mik. Let Manziel start, prove beyond a doubt he's total garbage, Browns go 1-15. "With the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Browns select Cardale Jones, quarterback Ohio State."

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @hoorta said:

    Hah- half kidding with this one Mik. Let Manziel start, prove beyond a doubt he's total garbage, Browns go 1-15. "With the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Browns select Cardale Jones, quarterback Ohio State."

    many a team has done that. i think it would have to be checked off from the owner down for some of these guys to keep their jobs if that happened.

    who knows what these guys have up their sleeves. look what it got indy when they tanked.

  • Kosar_For_PresidentK Kosar_For_President wrote on last edited by
    #60

    Man the players we passed up in the NFC Championship game is sickening. Braylon over Rogers.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #61

    VesnaKociper said:

    Plan A is to acquire Andrew Luck. The Browns have cornered the market on shit QBs, and it would be wrong to let one more get away.

    Maybe the Browns should inquire about the availability of Russell Wilson who shit himself all over the field today, yet the uber lucky SeaHags managed to win a game where their quarterback played like Brandon Wee-Done on a BAD (I mean REALLY BAD) day.

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #62

    When I first heard Charlie Weis's name for OC I thought no way. I am starting to think however he might do a good job with the Browns. He has a reputation for developing quarterbacks. He also has a good record as offensive coordinator most recently with the Chiefs. He may be a horrible college head coach but NFL offensive coordinator seems to suit him pretty well.;

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #63

    A reputation for developing quarterbacks... Guru. Period.reputation for developing quarterbacks.... Guru.....mentor......

    Now where have I heard that song before?

    WSS

  • A reputation for developing quarterbacks... Guru. Period.reputation for developing quarterbacks.... Guru.....mentor......

    Now where have I heard that song before?

    WSS

    OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @westside-steve said:

    A reputation for developing quarterbacks... Guru. Period.reputation for developing quarterbacks.... Guru.....mentor......

    Now where have I heard that song before?

    WSS

    Even taking that off the table Weis has an excellent record in the NFL as OC.