Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. The Browns Board
  3. 2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved The Browns Board
411 Posts 43 Posters 14.7k Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • JAFBF JAFBFJ Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
    • 10k Posts
    • 2k Reputation
    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by JAFBF
    #1

    Quick look, didn't see anything like this up yet, if so just merge it.

    Just saw something I thought would be interesting to put out for the Board :

    Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ · 9m 9 minutes ago #Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said drafting a QB in first round this year is on the table. "We've got to get it fixed."

    Video Interview with Haslam :

    Sounds like the shine's rubbed off of JFF as far as Haslam is concerned.

    A few more bits to add :

    Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 45m 45 minutes ago 1/2: #Browns Haslam: "It'll be up to Flip and Pett to decide whether (Manziel) can be the kind of quarterback we need him to be...

    And :

    Mary Kay Cabot @MaryKayCabot · 41m 41 minutes ago #Browns Haslam stressed that Manziel and Connor Shaw will be given a chance but must prove it over time, also said Hoyer still possibility.

    Few more notes :

    Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi · 22m 22 minutes ago #Browns owner Jimmy Haslam said he and top team advisors will go on 3-day retreat starting Sunday for strategic planning.

    For those that haven't seen it in the other thread, the Browns reached out to the Hoyer camp today with a Contract extension :

    Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi · 21m 21 minutes ago W/ Brian Hoyer looking like #Browns best QB option, team warming to idea of bringing him back. Owner Jimmy Haslam: Every option on table.

    http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/11341/browns-reach-out-to-brian-hoyers-camp-about-contract-extension

    Leave no stone unturned - have to say I like Haslam's desire to build a winner :

    Tony Grossi @TonyGrossi · 9m 9 minutes ago When discussing #Browns QB search, owner Jimmy Haslam made point of shouting out Connor Shaw for "playing really well" in final game.

    1 Reply Last reply
    Quote Reply
    • JAFBF JAFBFJ Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
      • 10k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by JAFBF
      #2

      Oh Boy, this needs it's own message :

      Scott Petrak ct retweeted Chris AssenheimerC-T @CAwesomeheimer · 9m 9 minutes ago Cardale talking with #Browns owner Jimmy Haslam.

      B7_u7daCQAAl85x.jpg

      B7_vpstIgAAOCJN.jpg

      B7_vOyNCMAAzRSJ.jpg

      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • JAFBF JAFBFJ Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
        • 10k Posts
        • 2k Reputation
        JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
        #3

        Going to put the up before moving on for the night since it does fall into one of the Title categories.

        http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/mock-drafts/bucky-brooks/215607

        I've seen a few Mock Drafts, and most of them have us taking Danny Shelton (DT) at #12, and a WR (varies who) at #19.

        I agree with the DT pick as he's the highest ranked DT in the Draft at this point, and I think DL should be our first pick.

        WR in the 1st?

        Doesn't fit Farmers MO, and to me at this #19 we get either the best OL available or a LB/DL.

        No way do I see us taking a WR in the 1st, at least not this year.

        We've got a lot of DL FA that likely won't be returning, so it's likely we'll need to beef this area up.

        Free Agency of course will dictate the priorities, but I really think DL @ 12, and OL @ 19 is what we'll see at this point.

        Suh coming to Cleveland?

        Yeah, we've got the Cap room, but the Attitude and Post Payday performance are pretty big question marks - he's looking at $68M ?

        Don't see Rubin coming back, he was $8M last year which is just way over his level of performance.

        Sheard was hurt but played last year, he might be back, but he's better on 4-3 than 3-4 & Hybrids that we've run.

        Taylor has had a lot of injuries the past few years, so I don't know that we can count on him.

        Kitchen I think we might bring back, but he had his share of injuries as well.

        Fua, I just don't know - if there's something better available we'll likely go that route.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • LBC mike LBC mikeL Reacting Well Very Popular First Post Collaborator Posting Machine Dedicated One Month Later One Year In Week One Done
          • 3k Posts
          • 297 Reputation
          LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Our free agency acquisitions will alter allot. I don't really see a must get qb coming out this year. We can get a guard and a dt with our picks in the first round. Get a wr te and a cb in free agency. Bring back Hoyer as a vet qb. Let the young ones prove them selves.

          WalterWhiteW 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • gumby73 gumby73G Conversation Starter Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Reacting Well One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 11k Posts
            • 4k Reputation
            gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            All we can do is hope Shelton is still there at 12 after what he shows at senior bowl. Still like Cam Erving FSU OL that played every OL position at 2nd pick. Draft is full of WR,TE? FA first will tell us our draft needs. Also have seen Greg Hardy WR and Cardin QB both from ECU and both can play and our getable mid to late rounds.

            Browns & Buffett: Got to go fishin, Down to rock bottom again, with just a few Friends Team Brotherhood-"It's not about You,Me or I. It's about building We"..Hue Jackson
            1 Reply Last reply
            Quote Reply
            • LBC mikeL LBC mike

              Our free agency acquisitions will alter allot. I don't really see a must get qb coming out this year. We can get a guard and a dt with our picks in the first round. Get a wr te and a cb in free agency. Bring back Hoyer as a vet qb. Let the young ones prove them selves.

              WalterWhite WalterWhiteW
              • 3k Posts
              • 183 Reputation
              WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
              #6

              @lbc-mike said:

              Our free agency acquisitions will alter allot. I don't really see a must get qb coming out this year. We can get a guard and a dt with our picks in the first round. Get a wr te and a cb in free agency. Bring back Hoyer as a vet qb. Let the young ones prove them selves.

              If this team drafts a god damn guard in the first round I'll stick my dick in meat grinder.

              Too many holes at OLB, ILB, WR, TE, and DL

              The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • Rooster Dick Rooster DickR
                • 411 Posts
                • 12 Reputation
                Rooster DickR Rooster Dick wrote on last edited by
                #7

                I agree, I've been wanting them to draft a solid LB the last few years. Grabbing the two guys you have listed would be awesome.... a huge change in this team would happen.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • miktoxic miktoxicM
                  • 13k Posts
                  • 1k Reputation
                  miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  well you'll both be wrong when we draft this guy at 12:

                  http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/01/19/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-report-iowa-ot-brandon-scherff/

                  WalterWhiteW Tour2maT 2 Replies Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • miktoxicM miktoxic

                    well you'll both be wrong when we draft this guy at 12:

                    http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/01/19/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-report-iowa-ot-brandon-scherff/

                    WalterWhite WalterWhiteW
                    • 3k Posts
                    • 183 Reputation
                    WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
                    #9

                    @miktoxic said:

                    well you'll both be wrong when we draft this guy at 12:

                    http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/01/19/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-report-iowa-ot-brandon-scherff/

                    I would not mind Scherff at all. He's a lock to go top 10 though

                    JAFBFJ 1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • miktoxic miktoxicM
                      • 13k Posts
                      • 1k Reputation
                      miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      i'm hoping for a little draft day magic.

                      last year was great but i got a feeling this year will be over the top.

                      Cbus BrownieC 1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                        • 5k Posts
                        • 1k Reputation
                        jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        As I've mentioned before, it's overtly obvious WR in the first round is not something the best of the best have done (see Super Bowl and Championship teams). The Browns need to focus on making their best unit, defense, stronger with early picks. I love the NT idea and at 19 going for a good DE/OLB or the top ILB prospect. I think we obviously should look at some WR's, but 3rd round or later is fine for that. I wouldn't mind a OL with the high 2nd as well (we had pretty good luck with that this past year that's for sure).

                        I know Manziel brings up emotions here but Hoyer is back up level talent. He showed that plain as day on the field when the league adjusted to his game. If you want that type of talent leading us for another year until we draft a QB, than he may be the best available. But (and I'm not trying to stir the pot here) he's not the franchise guy.

                        JAFBFJ 1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • TexasAg1969 T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                          • 23k Posts
                          • 6k Reputation
                          T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          He made it clear that Johnny knows they expect him to be a professional on AND off the field so now it's up to Johnny.

                          Tour2maT 1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite

                            @lbc-mike said:

                            Our free agency acquisitions will alter allot. I don't really see a must get qb coming out this year. We can get a guard and a dt with our picks in the first round. Get a wr te and a cb in free agency. Bring back Hoyer as a vet qb. Let the young ones prove them selves.

                            If this team drafts a god damn guard in the first round I'll stick my dick in meat grinder.

                            Too many holes at OLB, ILB, WR, TE, and DL

                            The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                            • 57k Posts
                            • 4k Reputation
                            The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            @walterwhite said:

                            If this team drafts a god damn guard in the first round I'll stick my dick in meat grinder.

                            Too many holes at OLB, ILB, WR, TE, and DL

                            I am surprised that no one yet has rooted to have a guard drafted. Lucky for you that the highest rated OG are not projected to go til the 2d/3rd round:

                            A.J. Cann OG 1 South Carolina rSr 6-3 311 2 58 Tre' Jackson OG 2 Florida State Sr 6-4 323 2 64 Arie Kouandjio OG 3 Alabama rSr 6-5 318 2 76 Josue Matias OG 4 Florida State Sr 6-6 325 2-3 86 John Miller OG 5 Louisville Sr 6-3 315 3 97 Laken Tomlinson OG 6 Duke rSr 6-3 323 3
                            JAFBFJ 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • tiamat63 tiamat63T Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Collaborator First Post Posting Machine Week One Done One Month Later One Year In Very Popular
                              • 13k Posts
                              • 5k Reputation
                              tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              In a weak QB class, what player could the Browns possibly be considering in the 1st round at that position ?!?!

                              Hopefully the answer is none.

                              jrb12711J 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • tiamat63T tiamat63

                                In a weak QB class, what player could the Browns possibly be considering in the 1st round at that position ?!?!

                                Hopefully the answer is none.

                                jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                • 5k Posts
                                • 1k Reputation
                                jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
                                #15

                                @tiamat63 said:

                                In a weak QB class, what player could the Browns possibly be considering in the 1st round at that position ?!?!

                                Hopefully the answer is none.

                                I could Mariota falling some but someone will want him in the top 10. Winston will rise like crazy and I feel about 75% sure he'll be the number 1 pick. After that, the prospects fall off a cliff that's for sure. Hundley I suppose may be the next guy off the board but he's only got the size. They say the sleeper prospect is Grayson from Colorado State who I have no idea about. He's in the senior bowl though so I'm hoping to see more of him, he's getting a Romo comparison.

                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite

                                  @miktoxic said:

                                  well you'll both be wrong when we draft this guy at 12:

                                  http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2015/01/19/2015-nfl-draft-scouting-report-iowa-ot-brandon-scherff/

                                  I would not mind Scherff at all. He's a lock to go top 10 though

                                  JAFBF JAFBFJ Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                  • 10k Posts
                                  • 2k Reputation
                                  JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
                                  #16

                                  @walterwhite said:

                                  I would not mind Scherff at all. He's a lock to go top 10 though

                                  Ditto, I just think D (front 7) are the bigger needs as of now.

                                  The DT pick was the highest ranked and was there for our pick (assuming no trades).

                                  I'd love to grab a killer LB, there just haven't been any the past couple years when we've been up that rated high enough.

                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • jrb12711J jrb12711

                                    As I've mentioned before, it's overtly obvious WR in the first round is not something the best of the best have done (see Super Bowl and Championship teams). The Browns need to focus on making their best unit, defense, stronger with early picks. I love the NT idea and at 19 going for a good DE/OLB or the top ILB prospect. I think we obviously should look at some WR's, but 3rd round or later is fine for that. I wouldn't mind a OL with the high 2nd as well (we had pretty good luck with that this past year that's for sure).

                                    I know Manziel brings up emotions here but Hoyer is back up level talent. He showed that plain as day on the field when the league adjusted to his game. If you want that type of talent leading us for another year until we draft a QB, than he may be the best available. But (and I'm not trying to stir the pot here) he's not the franchise guy.

                                    JAFBF JAFBFJ Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                    • 10k Posts
                                    • 2k Reputation
                                    JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    @jrb12711 said:

                                    I know Manziel brings up emotions here but Hoyer is back up level talent. He showed that plain as day on the field when the league adjusted to his game. If you want that type of talent leading us for another year until we draft a QB, than he may be the best available. But (and I'm not trying to stir the pot here) he's not the franchise guy.

                                    Hoyer's biggest problem was the middle of the OL after Mack left and Greco returned to G.

                                    When you get Sacked up the middle on a 3 Man Rush you got problems.

                                    At this point if you watch his throwing mechanics went to hell - most throws were off his back foot, and unable to follow through.

                                    Is he a top QB?

                                    No, but I do think he is Starter quality, probably lower than mid grade, but in the right system can do well enough.

                                    Didn't help that our Running game pretty much went spastic either.

                                    Still no guarantee we'll even re-sign him, but at least they're talking.

                                    jrb12711J 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • The GipperT The Gipper

                                      @walterwhite said:

                                      If this team drafts a god damn guard in the first round I'll stick my dick in meat grinder.

                                      Too many holes at OLB, ILB, WR, TE, and DL

                                      I am surprised that no one yet has rooted to have a guard drafted. Lucky for you that the highest rated OG are not projected to go til the 2d/3rd round:

                                      A.J. Cann OG 1 South Carolina rSr 6-3 311 2 58 Tre' Jackson OG 2 Florida State Sr 6-4 323 2 64 Arie Kouandjio OG 3 Alabama rSr 6-5 318 2 76 Josue Matias OG 4 Florida State Sr 6-6 325 2-3 86 John Miller OG 5 Louisville Sr 6-3 315 3 97 Laken Tomlinson OG 6 Duke rSr 6-3 323 3
                                      JAFBF JAFBFJ Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                      • 10k Posts
                                      • 2k Reputation
                                      JAFBFJ JAFBF wrote on last edited by
                                      #18

                                      @the-gipper said:

                                      I am surprised that no one yet has rooted to have a guard drafted. Lucky for you that the highest rated OG are not projected to go til the 2d/3rd round:

                                      A.J. Cann OG 1 South Carolina rSr 6-3 311 2 58 Tre' Jackson OG 2 Florida State Sr 6-4 323 2 64 Arie Kouandjio OG 3 Alabama rSr 6-5 318 2 76 Josue Matias OG 4 Florida State Sr 6-6 325 2-3 86 John Miller OG 5 Louisville Sr 6-3 315 3 97 Laken Tomlinson OG 6 Duke rSr 6-3 323 3

                                      Oh, I think we'll grab a G in the 2nd, but I was thinking 19 might be an OT if that's the best option at the time.

                                      Keep in mind, Farmer said last year something along the lines of the best pick being the OL guy Dallas grabbed in the 1st (Martin?) - so I can see Farmer grabbed some OL high if they're good enough.

                                      1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • T TexasAg1969

                                        He made it clear that Johnny knows they expect him to be a professional on AND off the field so now it's up to Johnny.

                                        Tour2ma Tour2maT In Memoriam Dedicated Conversation Starter Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done Very Popular
                                        • 30k Posts
                                        • 6k Reputation
                                        Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
                                        #19

                                        Good collection of stuff...

                                        Adding at least one, interior O-lineman is a must. I see an FA and a draft pick in the cards. How high the pick may well depend upon the FA signed. But I do not see first-round worthy OG/C prospects that are not being disguised as OT prospects at this point. A couple of these are having their value inflated by being included in this group. I think Sherff is one of these. I love his speed, but am wary of prospects who "only need to improve their pass protection footwork" to be NFL grade OTs... especially in round one.

                                        However, unless Painter is some as yet unwrapped gem, we need an OT as well. I like Miami's Flowers as an OT prospect and think he could slide inside as well. Unless a real OT run develops, and they often do, he should be around at #19.

                                        The 2015 DT draft pool for both our DT and DE needs looks pretty deep this year. Two picks from this group would not surprise me.

                                        @texasag1969 said:

                                        He made it clear that Johnny knows they expect him to be a professional on AND off the field so now it's up to Johnny.

                                        2014: Johnny v Playbook

                                        2015: Johnny v Playbook+Temptation???

                                        Odds are getting longer...

                                        "When you have a shared vision it is a lot easier to make unpopular decisions." - Paul DePodesta "When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less." - Paul Brown Complete 2017 Browns Board Mock: http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=46196
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • JAFBFJ JAFBF

                                          @jrb12711 said:

                                          I know Manziel brings up emotions here but Hoyer is back up level talent. He showed that plain as day on the field when the league adjusted to his game. If you want that type of talent leading us for another year until we draft a QB, than he may be the best available. But (and I'm not trying to stir the pot here) he's not the franchise guy.

                                          Hoyer's biggest problem was the middle of the OL after Mack left and Greco returned to G.

                                          When you get Sacked up the middle on a 3 Man Rush you got problems.

                                          At this point if you watch his throwing mechanics went to hell - most throws were off his back foot, and unable to follow through.

                                          Is he a top QB?

                                          No, but I do think he is Starter quality, probably lower than mid grade, but in the right system can do well enough.

                                          Didn't help that our Running game pretty much went spastic either.

                                          Still no guarantee we'll even re-sign him, but at least they're talking.

                                          jrb12711 jrb12711J Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
                                          • 5k Posts
                                          • 1k Reputation
                                          jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          @jafbf said:

                                          Hoyer's biggest problem was the middle of the OL after Mack left and Greco returned to G.

                                          When you get Sacked up the middle on a 3 Man Rush you got problems.

                                          At this point if you watch his throwing mechanics went to hell - most throws were off his back foot, and unable to follow through.

                                          Is he a top QB?

                                          No, but I do think he is Starter quality, probably lower than mid grade, but in the right system can do well enough.

                                          Didn't help that our Running game pretty much went spastic either.

                                          Still no guarantee we'll even re-sign him, but at least they're talking.

                                          You know, I would have agreed with you in some regards until I saw him play live this year. I wouldn't argue in a perfect system he may look okay. But the Browns need a franchise guy who can overcome that type of "system only" mentality. I just know enough of Hoyer to realize he's a guy who isn't going to make all the throws and can only win when the running game is well above average. It may drive people bonkers but I'd rather see if Manziel has upside than go through another mediocre QB year. You can only miss so many wide open throws.

                                          If they do try and re-sign him I hope it's a 2 year deal max.

                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate