Skip to content

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

The Browns Board
411 43 14.7k
  • Cleveland Browns have expressed interest in Darrelle Revis, who loved playing for Mike Pettine

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_browns_have_expresse_1.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

  • Cleveland Browns have expressed interest in Darrelle Revis, who loved playing for Mike Pettine

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_browns_have_expresse_1.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

    @jafbf said:

    Cleveland Browns have expressed interest in Darrelle Revis, who loved playing for Mike Pettine

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_browns_have_expresse_1.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

    And I thought they had no interest in making a big splash? He would be like one of the top 5 UFAs out there.

    Suh, Demarco Murray, Justin Houston?

    The fact that the Browns have mucho dinero to spend....and the interpersonal relationships can change the FO's position. Though perhaps this is just strictly a Revis/Pettine stance. Farmer and Haslam may want no part of it.....but maybe this may be an area where Pettine wants to flex his muscle by saying to his boss: this is MY guy. I want him. With him and Joe Haden we would have the best DB in creation....we got the money, lets get him.

  • @jafbf said:

    Cleveland Browns have expressed interest in Darrelle Revis, who loved playing for Mike Pettine

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/03/cleveland_browns_have_expresse_1.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

    And I thought they had no interest in making a big splash? He would be like one of the top 5 UFAs out there.

    Suh, Demarco Murray, Justin Houston?

    The fact that the Browns have mucho dinero to spend....and the interpersonal relationships can change the FO's position. Though perhaps this is just strictly a Revis/Pettine stance. Farmer and Haslam may want no part of it.....but maybe this may be an area where Pettine wants to flex his muscle by saying to his boss: this is MY guy. I want him. With him and Joe Haden we would have the best DB in creation....we got the money, lets get him.

    @the-gipper said:

    And I thought they had no interest in making a big splash? He would be like one of the top 5 UFAs out there.

    Suh, Demarco Murray, Justin Houston?

    The fact that the Browns have mucho dinero to spend....and the interpersonal relationships can change the FO's position. Though perhaps this is just strictly a Revis/Pettine stance. Farmer and Haslam may want no part of it.....but maybe this may be an area where Pettine wants to flex his muscle by saying to his boss: this is MY guy. I want him. With him and Joe Haden we would have the best DB in creation....we got the money, lets get him.

    While I agree they may like him, I think his price is going to be way too high.

    It really looks like Chip Kelly is going to make a run for Mariota :

    Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL · 22h 22 hours ago Several teams in talks with Eagles about Foles, #Rams are considered "leading contender" per source.

    Follow up :

    Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL · 21h 21 hours ago Can confirm #Rams have "upped their offer" for Foles from what they floated in January, do not know specifics of that offer or current one.

    Odd that the Rams are going after Foles since they have Bradford, but they are busy cutting Cap space . . .

    More on Eagles going for Mariota :

    Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL Never pay sticker price RT "@975TheFanatic: Schefter on Eagles trade up: would be two 1s, two 2s, two 3s, and that's for 5th pick!"

  • @the-gipper said:

    And I thought they had no interest in making a big splash? He would be like one of the top 5 UFAs out there.

    Suh, Demarco Murray, Justin Houston?

    The fact that the Browns have mucho dinero to spend....and the interpersonal relationships can change the FO's position. Though perhaps this is just strictly a Revis/Pettine stance. Farmer and Haslam may want no part of it.....but maybe this may be an area where Pettine wants to flex his muscle by saying to his boss: this is MY guy. I want him. With him and Joe Haden we would have the best DB in creation....we got the money, lets get him.

    While I agree they may like him, I think his price is going to be way too high.

    It really looks like Chip Kelly is going to make a run for Mariota :

    Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL · 22h 22 hours ago Several teams in talks with Eagles about Foles, #Rams are considered "leading contender" per source.

    Follow up :

    Benjamin Allbright @AllbrightNFL · 21h 21 hours ago Can confirm #Rams have "upped their offer" for Foles from what they floated in January, do not know specifics of that offer or current one.

    Odd that the Rams are going after Foles since they have Bradford, but they are busy cutting Cap space . . .

    More on Eagles going for Mariota :

    Benjamin Allbright ‏@AllbrightNFL Never pay sticker price RT "@975TheFanatic: Schefter on Eagles trade up: would be two 1s, two 2s, two 3s, and that's for 5th pick!"

    @jafbf said:

    While I agree they may like him, I think his price is going to be way too high.

    But, the Browns have like Top 5 money available to spend.....and correct me if I am wrong...but the cap rules now say they must spend it, no?

    Revis is a mercenary. The Browns have money that not many others have....and I suspect that that too is attractive to him. Give him a two year deal. It could work.

  • @jafbf said:

    While I agree they may like him, I think his price is going to be way too high.

    But, the Browns have like Top 5 money available to spend.....and correct me if I am wrong...but the cap rules now say they must spend it, no?

    Revis is a mercenary. The Browns have money that not many others have....and I suspect that that too is attractive to him. Give him a two year deal. It could work.

    @the-gipper said:

    But, the Browns have like Top 5 money available to spend.....and correct me if I am wrong...but the cap rules now say they must spend it, no?

    Revis is a mercenary. The Browns have money that not many others have....and I suspect that that too is attractive to him. Give him a two year deal. It could work.

    My thoughts were they had to spend it too, but Grossi was asked about it last week or so and said Browns are okay.

    CB Revis & Browns is getting some legs under it though, let's wait and see.

    Couple more Kelly hits :

    NFL Network @nflnetwork · 28m 28 minutes ago "I think the next move for (the Philadelphia Eagles) is getting Marcus Mariota." -Brian Baldinger #NFLFreeAgency

    NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · Mar 8 Chip Kelly owed 19.5 M 2015-17. I'm in his shoes, want to be leagues highest paid coach after 2016 or fired. Every incentive swing for fence

    Upper Echelon QB may be coming to Market :

    NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · Mar 7 Rumors Brees trade existed since December & best fit Rams.... there's a rift between organization & Brees' Camp.

    NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · Mar 7 Brees unwilling restructure 26.4M Cap Hit w/o extension & more guaranteed money. And Payton doesn't want tie organization Brees next 3-4 Yrs

    NFL_DRAFT_Bites @NFLDraftBites · Mar 7 Saints heading messy breakup. Payton will want out given ownership instability & when interject themselves on Brees its the final straw

    These are one of the rumors that peg the Browns to Brees mentioned yesterday . . . also saw something that Manziel may be part of it, post release from Rehab.

    Wild times these next few days, just crazy stuff.

  • Just for laughs, these QB's are being linked to the Browns (rumor city) :

    Foles

    Kaepernik (Cap issues)

    Brees (due to Saint Cap issues)

    This has already broken, but I'll put it here as well for a place mark :

    SiriusXM NFL Radio @SiriusXMNFL · 2h 2 hours ago RT @DustinFox37 Breaking: Brian Hartline is signing with the Cleveland #Browns.

    @jafbf said:

    Just for laughs, these QB's are being linked to the Browns (rumor city) :

    Foles

    Kaepernik (Cap issues)

    Brees (due to Saint Cap issues)

    Brees is a new name... not as thrilled at the prospect as I'd have been two or three years ago.

    @the-gipper said:

    But, the Browns have like Top 5 money available to spend.....and correct me if I am wrong...but the cap rules now say they must spend it, no?

    There are cap minimums and "floors", that teams like OAK are below. It was one of the reasons many thought the Raiders would land Suh. Those reports are the only reason I know one exists:

    "Starting with (2013), each team is required to spend a minimum of 88.8% of the cap in cash on player compensation, and 90% in future years. However, the floor is based on total cash spent over each of two four-year periods, the first running from 2013–2016 and the second from 2017–2020. A team can be under the floor in one or more seasons in a cycle without violating the CBA, as long as its total spending during the four-year period reaches the required percentage of the cap."

  • http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/freeagency/index

    All free agents sorted by ESPN's ranking system.. It's good for relative comparisons and the expected salary in the upper R.

    Instead of worrying about losing Sheard, we should be looking at Lions DE George Johnson.

    Instead of salivating over Revis [who only considered NYJ, Buffalo, and NE] we should be calling Cromartie for another 1-year deal.

    Could Kenny Britt achieve something in Cleveland?

  • FINALLY!!!......a thread to discuss free agents.......YAY!!!!!

  • A little more QB merit :

    Ian Rapoport @RapSheet · 9m 9 minutes ago The #Saints have called around, open to shopping many of their players, source say. One notable player included: TE Jimmy Graham. For real.

    Uhmmmm . . .

    Aaron Leming @AaronLemingNFL · 18m 18 minutes ago Per source: #Bears were informed that DT Dan Williams will be signing with another team. That team still unknown.

  • Foles & Bradford to swap Teams . . . ?

    Andrew Siciliano @AndrewSiciliano · 5m 5 minutes ago By the way, for what it's worth, the Saints met with Jameis Winston at the combine. The Saints now have two first-round picks. That is all.

  • Ken Carman @KenCarman · 45m 45 minutes ago Chip Kelly's about make Draft Day look like an Air Bud movie

    Heads up :

    Ken Carman @KenCarman · 8m 8 minutes ago Don't think Bradford will be in Philly for long.

  • Steelers keep Matt Spaeth, does that mean no interest in signing Jordan Cameron....as I had heard?

  • Hearing that AJ Hawk is signing with Bengals, leaving Packers.

  • For sanity's sake, I've been trying to push back the all the insanity, but there are still some items that merit consideration . . .

    Someone hit the Eagles with a #1 for Bradford, there are rumors that it was the Browns.

    There's still some smoke in this area, and regardless of what's been said it bears watching for possible future developments.

    As I said on the Cameron thread - bad reporting . . . or dirty deal ?

    I like Cameron, but injury wise he's almost out of the League, plus we're currently looking at Clay.

    Hated loosing Skrine and Sheard, but good for both of them.

    We just couldn't properly use and pay them for what we needed/wanted.

    Bowe is now on the Market, and apparently the Browns are going to take a look.

    Trent Richardson.

    Wow - How the mighty have fallen.

    I still think the guy has potential, he just has no vision - smh.

    Might sign him to a 1 year deal just for the hell of it . . . maybe this new scheme and Coaching could do something with him.

    QB Thaddeus Lewis.

    Have to admit, I was a little surprised we cut him loose two years ago.

    Thought he had a pretty good game as a Starter that last year, but he was gone the next.

    As others have said, he may be the best QB on the Roster right now.

    News Flash:

    I will not be surprised to see the Browns sign some more QB's before OTA's/PreSeason.

    We're looking for the best of the worst (or what's available) right now . . . wouldn't be surprised or adverse to us even pulling in Tebow right now.

    Drew Brees.

    Yeah, I've mentioned this one before, but it seems there may be even a bit more traction.

    Saints willing to trade almost entire team, according to report

    http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/saints-willing-to-trade-almost-entire-team-according-to-report/ar-AA9Hv8S?ocid=mailsignout

    Saints are in Cap Hell, and both they and their Fans acknowledge they aren't going anywhere soon.

    Rumor floating around of Brees to Browns for #12 & #19 . . . he'll be 36 for this Season.

    Right now, due to the Graham trade, the Saints have two #1's this year.

    With this trade, they would have four #1's . . . imagine what someone could do this year with four #1's . . . would you do that trade ?

    My thoughts on this?

    For Brees and #1 in 2016 (from N.O.), personally, I might actually do it.

    Damn, I might be getting desperate, but Brees probably has 2 - 3 more good years, and with two #1's next year we might actually land the FQB we want.

    All rumor, but something to watch and think about.

    Start connecting some dots . . . what are you seeing ?

  • Not a chance in hell I'm giving up both number #1's for Brees. 19 - maybe. That's pushing it.

  • Not a chance in hell I'm giving up both number #1's for Brees. 19 - maybe. That's pushing it.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Not a chance in hell I'm giving up both number #1's for Brees. 19 - maybe. That's pushing it.

    Compared to what we have right now . . . think about it for a while.

    Right now it sounds damn bad (and I tend to agree), but when you start looking at his stats . . . #1 in the NFL for completion % . . . period . . . TD to INT ratio . . .

  • I think it'd be fun

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Not a chance in hell I'm giving up both number #1's for Brees. 19 - maybe. That's pushing it.

    Compared to what we have right now . . . think about it for a while.

    Right now it sounds damn bad (and I tend to agree), but when you start looking at his stats . . . #1 in the NFL for completion % . . . period . . . TD to INT ratio . . .

    @jafbf said:

    Compared to what we have right now . . . think about it for a while.

    Right now it sounds damn bad (and I tend to agree), but when you start looking at his stats . . . #1 in the NFL for completion % . . . period . . . TD to INT ratio . . .

    Sure. For a season, maybe 2 if you're lucky.

    After that? You've traded two potential long term starters for a soon-to-be retired hired gun with a huge cap hit.

    No. Thank. You.

  • @jafbf said:

    Compared to what we have right now . . . think about it for a while.

    Right now it sounds damn bad (and I tend to agree), but when you start looking at his stats . . . #1 in the NFL for completion % . . . period . . . TD to INT ratio . . .

    Sure. For a season, maybe 2 if you're lucky.

    After that? You've traded two potential long term starters for a soon-to-be retired hired gun with a huge cap hit.

    No. Thank. You.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Sure. For a season, maybe 2 if you're lucky.

    After that? You've traded two potential long term starters for a soon-to-be retired hired gun with a huge cap hit.

    No. Thank. You.

    Browns have money and don't have to worry about the gauranteed (Saints still on the hook for signing Bonus) portion of his Salary.

    Browns need a fan/image upgrade - how far into the Playoffs do you think Brees could take us with a second year/improved Defense?

    I'm talking about points allowed here.

    Potentially two #1's+ next year . . . hmmmm, what QB's are really worth taking a run at next year?

    Let that simmer for a bit . . .

    Think these factors might have a FA willingness to come here ?

    Positive National spotlight impact ?

    Start looking looking longer term and wider scope . . . still costly, but let it simmer a bit.

    Still all rumor and speculation, but there are things brewing out there that we have no idea about

    Foles/Bradford trade . . . how many folks saw that coming?

    Yeah . . .

    .

    .

    .

  • Again, this image upgrade might last 2 years. Three tops, if you're lucky.

    It's not worth it.

    Edit: also, Knighton signed with the Skins - pretty much takes them out of the market for Shelton.

    So long as he clears chi town, looks promising.