Skip to content

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

The Browns Board
411 43 14.7k
  • What I wouldn't mind seeing -

    Sign Gresham and Jake Long at severely reduced contracts. Bring in Mason Foster or Rolando McClain to compete for an ILB spot.

    What will actually happen -

    Nothing.

    We filled holes with solid veteran talent. We'll likely receive three compensatory picks. We're done here.

  • What I wouldn't mind seeing -

    Sign Gresham and Jake Long at severely reduced contracts. Bring in Mason Foster or Rolando McClain to compete for an ILB spot.

    What will actually happen -

    Nothing.

    We filled holes with solid veteran talent. We'll likely receive three compensatory picks. We're done here.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    What I wouldn't mind seeing -

    Sign Gresham and Jake Long at severely reduced contracts. Bring in Mason Foster or Rolando McClain to compete for an ILB spot.

    What will actually happen -

    Nothing.

    We filled holes with solid veteran talent. We'll likely receive three compensatory picks. We're done here.

    As noted elsewhere, Gresham undergoing back surgery. Long has finished 4 seasons in a row in IR.

    Health concerns will cause most to shy away.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    What I wouldn't mind seeing -

    Sign Gresham and Jake Long at severely reduced contracts. Bring in Mason Foster or Rolando McClain to compete for an ILB spot.

    What will actually happen -

    Nothing.

    We filled holes with solid veteran talent. We'll likely receive three compensatory picks. We're done here.

    As noted elsewhere, Gresham undergoing back surgery. Long has finished 4 seasons in a row in IR.

    Health concerns will cause most to shy away.

    @the-gipper said:

    As noted elsewhere, Gresham undergoing back surgery. Long has finished 4 seasons in a row in IR.

    Health concerns will cause most to shy away.

    Exactly, they are at their lowest value. Perfectly healthy, they'd be signed to large contracts and wouldn't be availble.

    Take a risk on one or two of these guys for bottom dollar contracts and hope they return to their form. A relatively healthy Jake Long is a much better RT than a perfectly healthy Mitchell Schwartz.

  • @the-gipper said:

    As noted elsewhere, Gresham undergoing back surgery. Long has finished 4 seasons in a row in IR.

    Health concerns will cause most to shy away.

    Exactly, they are at their lowest value. Perfectly healthy, they'd be signed to large contracts and wouldn't be availble.

    Take a risk on one or two of these guys for bottom dollar contracts and hope they return to their form. A relatively healthy Jake Long is a much better RT than a perfectly healthy Mitchell Schwartz.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Exactly, they are at their lowest value. Perfectly healthy, they'd be signed to large contracts and wouldn't be availble.

    Take a risk on one or two of these guys for bottom dollar contracts and hope they return to their form. A relatively healthy Jake Long is a much better RT than a perfectly healthy Mitchell Schwartz.

    Is that so? Based on.... what?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Exactly, they are at their lowest value. Perfectly healthy, they'd be signed to large contracts and wouldn't be availble.

    Take a risk on one or two of these guys for bottom dollar contracts and hope they return to their form. A relatively healthy Jake Long is a much better RT than a perfectly healthy Mitchell Schwartz.

    Is that so? Based on.... what?

    @tiamat63 said:

    Is that so? Based on.... what?

    Based on the fact that Mitchell Schwartz is garbage and I'm better than him.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Is that so? Based on.... what?

    Based on the fact that Mitchell Schwartz is garbage and I'm better than him.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Based on the fact that Mitchell Schwartz is garbage and I'm better than him.

    Damn, you sold me on that. Bravo, sir.

  • Schwartz was in the top half of RT all year long - he's by no means "garbage."

    It would require a significant investment to achieve measurably better results than what he did last year.

    Farmer may make that investment in the 1st round - that's the only way we don't start Schwartz next year.

  • There were a few rumours last night that Philip Rivers is available....

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25111806/philip-rivers-plans-to-let-contract-expire-doesnt-sound-thrilled-with-la



    If the Chargers move to Los Angeles in 2016, Philip Rivers might not be going with them.

    Rivers has been in San Diego since being traded to the Chargers in the first-round of the 2004 NFL Draft, but he could on his way out after 2015 -- and there's several reasons for that.

    For one, Rivers isn't sure he would want to play in Los Angeles if the team were to move there, which is now a definite possibility. Back in mid-February, the Chargers and Raidersannounced plans to build a $1.7 billion stadium in Carson, Calif.

    A move would mean Rivers would have to uproot his wife and their seven children.

    "What we've established here with my growing family is hard to recreate," Rivers told U-T San Diego on Tuesday. "It's hard to up and recreate that. I know that moves are part of life. But that certainly is fair to say that (not being sold on moving to Los Angeles) is part of it. The good thing is I'm not under contract in a year where we'd potentially be in Los Angeles."

    Rivers is right about not being under contract and that's the other reason he could be leaving the Chargers soon: His contract expires after the 2015 and he doesn't sound like someone who has any plans to sign an extension.

    UT-San Diego specifically asked Rivers if his plans were to play out his contract and let it expire.

    "Yes," Rivers said. "What I can control and all I know as of today, I am signed up for one more year. I guess things could change, but with all the uncertainty in many aspects, I don't see it changing before camp gets here, and when camp gets here I'm even more certain to play it out."

    If Rivers doesn't work out an extension, there's also the possibility he could be traded.

    Chargers general manager Tom Telesco was asked if Rivers might be on the trading block and Telesco answered the question without answering the question. He didn't say yes or no.

    "I don't like Philip as our QB, I love him," Telesco wrote in a text to U-T San Diego. "And I'll go to war with him."

    If Telesco really does "love" Rivers as the Chargers quarterback, then he can keep Rivers with the team. If the two sides can't work out a contract extension, the Chargers could hit Rivers with the franchise tag, a move that would cost almost $21 million.

    Rivers is scheduled to make $17.4 million in 2015, in what will be the final year of the contract extension he signed in August 2009.

    @londonbrown said:

    Some Clown was floating a rumor last week that we were signing Rivers . . . actually worked it for a while and even gave terms 😕

    Yeah, didn't bother with that one.

  • The more I watch of Mariota and Mannion... the less I like what I see.

    @tiamat63 said:

    The more I watch of Mariota and Mannion... the less I like what I see.

    I just do not like even the low chance rumors hanging around out there that we may still make a play for Mariota (I've made several comments on him and his WR's).

    Sure, it was OSU's Defense he was going against, but if they can change his game the NFL is going to be a shocker.

    Haven't watched Mannion, though he's one of four we should be looking into.

  • The Randy Starks signing should be good for depth at least - and he could be a good starter in place of the now-terrible FA signing of Bryant.

    Taylor/Shelton/Starks as starters should hold up better against the run. Hughes/Kitchen/Winn/Bryant as backup/ST.

    Does Jermaine Gresham have a problem I'm not aware of? He was a first-round pick that hasn't done much.. should be a 2y/$8M deal, right?

    @unsympathetic said:

    The Randy Starks signing should be good for depth at least - and he could be a good starter in place of the now-terrible FA signing of Bryant.

    Taylor/Shelton/Starks as starters should hold up better against the run. Hughes/Kitchen/Winn/Bryant as backup/ST.

    Does Jermaine Gresham have a problem I'm not aware of? He was a first-round pick that hasn't done much.. should be a 2y/$8M deal, right?

    Huh?

    I like both Bryants, think they're pretty decent actually.

    Way too many injuries last year, hurt damn near everyone of the front seven . . . outside of Kruger, we need to get him some support on the other side.

  • Schwartz was in the top half of RT all year long - he's by no means "garbage."

    It would require a significant investment to achieve measurably better results than what he did last year.

    Farmer may make that investment in the 1st round - that's the only way we don't start Schwartz next year.

    @unsympathetic said:

    Schwartz was in the top half of RT all year long - he's by no means "garbage."

    It would require a significant investment to achieve measurably better results than what he did last year.

    Farmer may make that investment in the 1st round - that's the only way we don't start Schwartz next year.

    Schwartz, in comparison to the rest of our OL wasn't stellar . . . compared to the rest of the NFL he was pretty good - gotta be a weak(er) link somewhere 🙂

    Some talk that we'll grab an OL at 19(?)

    Might be the wrong slot (on my part), but there's a kid out there (don't remember name right off) that is very good and has versatility in the ability to play multiple OL positions well.

    I need to dig up his name, but this is the OL we're probably looking at.

    There's also talk that we may move down from 19 - don't know that I'd have a major problem with this depending on the deal.

    Farmer ruling :

    Went as it should have, but I think we're going to feel a little bit more impact than most people are thinking.

    Maybe fooling myself, but I think we get a better 1st Round this year . . . of course I still think we'll recoup some from last year's 1st, so let's see.

  • You're probably trying to think of Cam Erving FSU. Played LT before moving to Center last season and by all reports he flourished there.

    Finally found some game tape on him inside...

    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cameron-erving-vs-miami-2014/

  • Looks powerful, and quick on his feet. btw, sure seems valid - the thing about Winston

    and not being accurate so often, especially on the move....

  • OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."

    http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/texas-am-signee-daylon-mack-pushes-chevy-suburban-down-highway-feeder-road.html/

  • OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."

    http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/texas-am-signee-daylon-mack-pushes-chevy-suburban-down-highway-feeder-road.html/

    @texasag1969 said:

    OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."

    http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/texas-am-signee-daylon-mack-pushes-chevy-suburban-down-highway-feeder-road.html/

    Oh, we're all getting in on the Cardale fun?

    Jabrill Peppers in 2 years. Safety/Nickel

    😁

  • OL Cam Erving another great talent going to fall in between our pick 12 and 19. Maybe be there at 12 but D needs out way Cam. At 19 Cam would be a steal. IMO, Would only consider moving up for L. Williams or D.Shelton..

  • You're probably trying to think of Cam Erving FSU. Played LT before moving to Center last season and by all reports he flourished there.

    Finally found some game tape on him inside...

    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cameron-erving-vs-miami-2014/

    @tour2ma said:

    You're probably trying to think of Cam Erving FSU. Played LT before moving to Center last season and by all reports he flourished there.

    Finally found some game tape on him inside...

    http://draftbreakdown.com/video/cameron-erving-vs-miami-2014/

    Yeah, that's the guy.

    Most Mocks I've seen so far have him late 1st to mid 2nd.

    NFL rates him as the 56th BPA, so it may be possible to get him.

  • OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."

    http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/texas-am-signee-daylon-mack-pushes-chevy-suburban-down-highway-feeder-road.html/

    @texasag1969 said:

    OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."

    http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/texas-am-signee-daylon-mack-pushes-chevy-suburban-down-highway-feeder-road.html/

    Saw that when it came out. No way it's an actual workout. On the side of the road? And is it even THAT hard to push a car in neutral?

  • The Browns won't move up for an OT.

    There are several options, the same is true for wrs.

    The only way they trade up, is to nab Shelton.

    I watched an interview of him, and some film.

    Outstanding character, humble, LOVES the GAME,

    and a powerhouse. He fits the Browns, bigtime.

    So, if he's there at 12, and the Browns never traded up,

    I bet they nab Shelton, or Canton Mike will jump up

    on the table we are at, and chug about 6 beers, and

    he'll dance an Irish jig !

    (no way I'm doing that, ...eh...I got a bad knee...)

  • OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."

    http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2015/03/texas-am-signee-daylon-mack-pushes-chevy-suburban-down-highway-feeder-road.html/

    I wish I only had a bad knee...

    @texasag1969 said:

    OK-I have one for the Browns in the 2018 draft. This is what a 5***** DT does in getting ready to play his freshman year at Texas A&M. Just push a 3-ton Chevy suburban a half mile. Not too bad in weight lifting either. Quickest NT off the ball I have seen since Jerry Ball out of SMU many years ago. "As for "normal" workout plans, Mack has recently hit some personal bests on the bench press and squat. The Gladewater product maxed out on the bench, repping 385-pounds, six times. He also squatted 605-pounds, ten times."

    And Ag's kiss-of-death is placed upon yet another A&M prospect...