Skip to content

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

The Browns Board
411 43 14.7k
  • I don't get the hype on Fowler, myself. I thought his tape off the edge wasn't very impressive.

  • Anybody found a good (printable) Draft Log for Tonight??

  • Anybody found a good (printable) Draft Log for Tonight??

    @gumby73 said:

    Anybody found a good (printable) Draft Log for Tonight??

    I was thinking of using this...

    http://thebrownsboard.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32178&do=findComment&comment=482513

  • Fletcher Cox on the trade block. If I'm Farmer, I'm calling Chip and offering him my 19.

  • Fletcher Cox on the trade block. If I'm Farmer, I'm calling Chip and offering him my 19.

    ... and I'll call Farmer and ask why he didn't offer my deal for Foles plus Cox...

    @tiamat63 said:

    Fletcher Cox on the trade block. If I'm Farmer, I'm calling Chip and offering him my 19.

    Couldn't hurt, but I doubt it's enough...

  • ... and I'll call Farmer and ask why he didn't offer my deal for Foles plus Cox...

    @tiamat63 said:

    Fletcher Cox on the trade block. If I'm Farmer, I'm calling Chip and offering him my 19.

    Couldn't hurt, but I doubt it's enough...

    @tour2ma said:

    ... and I'll call Farmer and ask why he didn't offer my deal for Foles plus Cox...

    Couldn't hurt, but I doubt it's enough...

    If Chip gets desperate enough, it will be more than plenty to land Fletcher. The man cares little for defense, he wants his shiny toy at QB.

    edit: Obviously I'm playing on stereotypes a bit there.

  • I know we weren't gonna take him, but does anybody else see Gurley putting up a 1300+ rushing yard rookie season?

    And I'm so glad we didn't end up with Devante Parker. I'm really happy with the Shelton pick.

  • I know we weren't gonna take him, but does anybody else see Gurley putting up a 1300+ rushing yard rookie season?

    And I'm so glad we didn't end up with Devante Parker. I'm really happy with the Shelton pick.

    @secondwave said:

    I know we weren't gonna take him, but does anybody else see Gurley putting up a 1300+ rushing yard rookie season?

    And I'm so glad we didn't end up with Devante Parker. I'm really happy with the Shelton pick.

    With the Rams, unlikely. Will I spend a late round flier on him in fantasy in case he does, of course. Than again I killed both leagues I was in on rooks so I don't see much reason in switching it up.

  • Best place I can think of to put this right now.

    Roster spots opening up :

    • Browns released OL Paul McQuistan. (NFLTR)
    • Browns signed DB Varmah Sonie.
    • Browns re-signed ERFAs P Spencer Lanning and RB Shaun Draughn to a one-year extension. (NFLTR)
    • Browns re-signed exclusive rights free agent OL Ryan Seymour.
    • Browns tendered FS Tashaun Gipson. (NFLTR)
    • Browns tendered LB Craig Robertson. (NFLTR)
    • Browns tendered DL Ishmaa’ily Kitchen. (NFLTR)
    • Browns tendered DB Johnson Bademosi. (NFLTR)
    • Browns re-signed WR Marlon Moore.
    • Browns signed QB Thad Lewis to a one-year contract.
    • Browns signed DE John Hughes to a four-year extension. (NFLTR)
    • Browns signed DT Randy Starks to a two-year deal. (NFLTR)
    • Browns signed CB Tramon Williams to a three-year deal. (NFLTR)
    • Browns signed WR Dwayne Bowe. (NFLTR)
    • Browns signed OT Tyler Loos
    • Browns signed OT Darrian Miller
    • Browns signed DE Dylan Wynn
    • Browns signed TE Rob Housler. (NFLTR)

    Not sure if Rookie signings have been posted yet, but here are some :

    • Browns signed second-round defensive end Nate Orchard. (Aaron Wilson)
    • Browns signed sixth-round tight end Randall Telfer to a four-year contract.
  • The Titans were never interested in trading the #2.

    They wanted Mariota all the way. It didn't matter what was offered to them!

    So.. Any and all analyses that start with the hypothesis that CLE could have achieved the 2nd pick.. have zero validity.

  • The Chiefs were selecting 80th in the third round of the draft but moved up five spots -- one spot ahead of Cleveland -- in order to draft Georgia WR Chris Conley.

    So why did the Chiefs trade up?

    "There were a grouping of wide receivers that began to unfold," Chiefs GM John Dorsey told Soren Petro on 810 WHB last week. "I'm telling myself, if we don't get a receiver here, there's really not going to be the high quality receiver that we had deemed. I had heard word that Cleveland had lunch with Chris the week earlier. I knew they had liked him. I just thought it was worth the risk trading up a few spots to ensure we would be able to give these organization a very talented wide receiver."

    The Browns selected one spot after KC and chose RB Duke Johnson. Browns GM Ray Farmer seemed to hint at that in his post-draft press conference:

    Nate_Ulrich_normal.jpg Nate Ulrich @NateUlrichABJ #Browns GM Ray Farmer: I liked WR Chris Conley, kudos to #Chiefs for jumping ahead of us in 3rd round to take him.
  • I predict that the Browns will NOT regret getting Duke Johnson instead of Chris Conley.

    Johnson fills a need for the Browns. They were the worst team in the NFL when it came to production by their RBs in the passing game.

    I am not sure that Conley would have filled a need that wasn't filled with Mayle.

  • @jafbf said:

    On a positive note, Gilbert may be shaping up.

    Im holding out hope that he'll be MUCH better this year......no matter what folks like to say about him, dude is extremely talented and showed flashes of how good he can be....

    His first 2 games were terrible, but he got better as the season wore on(and no one noticed?).......

    Still looks like a future pro-bowl type player to me.....

    @mudfly said:

    Im holding out hope that he'll be MUCH better this year......no matter what folks like to say about him, dude is extremely talented and showed flashes of how good he can be....

    His first 2 games were terrible, but he got better as the season wore on(and no one noticed?).......

    Still looks like a future pro-bowl type player to me.....

    His pick six of Luck was my fav play of last year

    That game was brutal. Most pissed I've been since the pats game 2 years ago (thinking about Brady, how he consistently cheats, maybe he had an under inflated ball then also)

    I do remember the refs winning the game for the pats with a PI call on a hail Mary with 10 seconds left. Couldn't believe my eyes.

  • I feel like I should take the time to point out, two of the players I didn't want the Browns to draft anywhere in the first few rounds ended up on PFF's top 10 biggest draft reaches.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/06/10-biggest-draft-reaches/

    Dupree and Goldman. Again, I still don't get what people saw in those two. I just have this gut feeling Pittsburgh drafted another mediocre linebacker at best.

  • Interesting list...

    Common trait seems to have been "measureables without production". Dupree would head this list, but Thompson so early just mystifies me. CAR must have a secret plan.

    On Goldman, while I see where you are coming from, I can also see the attraction. If a team can superglue his switch in the "On" position, I think they will have something. He ranked pretty high upon the "effort optional" list.

    Ones I feel vindicated on were Poutasi and McKinney. The former just did not move well and while the latter moved great, he just never did anything upon arrival when he got there... and he did not "get there" enough of the time... at least not without an O-line escort.

    That said there are a couple I disagree with and they are in bold.

    • Shaq Thompson, LB, University of Washington #25 Overall to Carolina
    • Bud Dupree, ED, University of Kentucky #22 Overall to Pittsburgh
    • Jeremiah Poutasi, OT, Utah #66 Overall to Tennessee
    • Matt Jones, RB, Florida #95 Overall to Washington
    • Eddie Goldman, DI, Florida State #39 Overall to Chicago
    • Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State #43 Overall to Houston
    • Mitch Morse, C, Missouri #49 to Kansas City
    • Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forrest #16 Overall to Houston
    • Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State #11 Overall to Minnesota
    • Philip Dorsett, WR, Miami #29 Overall to Indianapolis
    I liked Matt Jones, but as a FB/ short-yardage candidate. As such I would not spend a 3rd on him, but doing so is not a gross overreach.

    Mitch Morse has great feet. He is not strong, but tape showed a knack for taking good angles so I liked him as a ZBS candidate... a lot... but a little later in the draft.

  • Interesting list...

    Common trait seems to have been "measureables without production". Dupree would head this list, but Thompson so early just mystifies me. CAR must have a secret plan.

    On Goldman, while I see where you are coming from, I can also see the attraction. If a team can superglue his switch in the "On" position, I think they will have something. He ranked pretty high upon the "effort optional" list.

    Ones I feel vindicated on were Poutasi and McKinney. The former just did not move well and while the latter moved great, he just never did anything upon arrival when he got there... and he did not "get there" enough of the time... at least not without an O-line escort.

    That said there are a couple I disagree with and they are in bold.

    • Shaq Thompson, LB, University of Washington #25 Overall to Carolina
    • Bud Dupree, ED, University of Kentucky #22 Overall to Pittsburgh
    • Jeremiah Poutasi, OT, Utah #66 Overall to Tennessee
    • Matt Jones, RB, Florida #95 Overall to Washington
    • Eddie Goldman, DI, Florida State #39 Overall to Chicago
    • Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State #43 Overall to Houston
    • Mitch Morse, C, Missouri #49 to Kansas City
    • Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forrest #16 Overall to Houston
    • Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State #11 Overall to Minnesota
    • Philip Dorsett, WR, Miami #29 Overall to Indianapolis
    I liked Matt Jones, but as a FB/ short-yardage candidate. As such I would not spend a 3rd on him, but doing so is not a gross overreach.

    Mitch Morse has great feet. He is not strong, but tape showed a knack for taking good angles so I liked him as a ZBS candidate... a lot... but a little later in the draft.

    @tour2ma said:

    Interesting list...

    Common trait seems to have been "measureables without production". Dupree would head this list, but Thompson so early just mystifies me. CAR must have a secret plan.

    On Goldman, while I see where you are coming from, I can also see the attraction. If a team can superglue his switch in the "On" position, I think they will have something. He ranked pretty high upon the "effort optional" list.

    Ones I feel vindicated on were Poutasi and McKinney. The former just did not move well and while the latter moved great, he just never did anything upon arrival when he got there... and he did not "get there" enough of the time... at least not without an O-line escort.

    That said there are a couple I disagree with and they are in bold.

    • Shaq Thompson, LB, University of Washington #25 Overall to Carolina
    • Bud Dupree, ED, University of Kentucky #22 Overall to Pittsburgh
    • Jeremiah Poutasi, OT, Utah #66 Overall to Tennessee
    • Matt Jones, RB, Florida #95 Overall to Washington
    • Eddie Goldman, DI, Florida State #39 Overall to Chicago
    • Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State #43 Overall to Houston
    • Mitch Morse, C, Missouri #49 to Kansas City
    • Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forrest #16 Overall to Houston
    • Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State #11 Overall to Minnesota
    • Philip Dorsett, WR, Miami #29 Overall to Indianapolis
    I liked Matt Jones, but as a FB/ short-yardage candidate. As such I would not spend a 3rd on him, but doing so is not a gross overreach.

    Mitch Morse has great feet. He is not strong, but tape showed a knack for taking good angles so I liked him as a ZBS candidate... a lot... but a little later in the draft.

    I see Thompson in the same mold I see Mingo, minus the freak athletic ability. He's a Will backer that walk out over a slot receiver and has the ability to rush the passer off the edge in sub packages. IMHO, it was a luxury pick for a Panthers team that's devoid of talent and depth on the Oline.

    As for Goldman, I don't see a player (even with the motor) to be able to consistently play the nose like Chicago wants. He isn't a gap shooting big with an elite swim move (Like Shaun Rodgers) and he doesn't have that elite size and strength to not be moved off the ball against a 2 man combo block.

    Matt Jones could make for a hell of a short yardage back, Hback and situational FB. I don't really have an opinion on Morse, haven't watched him.

  • Either it's been somewhat quiet (could be a good thing), or I just haven't had time to do a whole lot of digging.

    I heard Xavier Cooper was virtually unblockable in Rookie intro Camp, but then of course he was going against other Rookies . . . still, it's nice to hear something positive.

    RB Duke Johnson got some positive press, and there was talk of having the RB's split out wide - even Glenn Winston (the invisible RB).

    Filippo looks to use RB's for receiving out of the Backfield more as well, something Shanahan didn't really do a whole lot (Personnel or Shanahan's preference I can't say).

    Lot of invites to camp for UDFA's and tryouts, might find a Player or two - expect a lot of Players churning through as they look for hidden gems.

    Here's the latest I know of for signing status of our Drafted Players :

    Browns Danny Shelton/DT/Washington – Signed 12
    Browns Cameron Erving/OL/FSU 19
    Browns Nate Orchard/OLB/Utah – Signed 51
    Browns Duke Johnson/RB/Miami 77
    Browns Xavier Cooper/DT/Washington State – Signed 96
    Browns Ibraheim Campbell/S/Northwestern 115
    Browns Vince Mayle/WR/Washington State 123
    Browns Charles Gaines/CB/Louisville – Signed 189
    Browns Malcom Johnson/TE/Mississippi State – Signed 195
    Browns Randall Telfer/TE/USC – Signed 198
    Browns Hayes Pullard/LB/USC 219
    Browns Ifo Ekpre-Olimu/CB/Oregon – Signed 241
  • Interesting list...

    Common trait seems to have been "measureables without production". Dupree would head this list, but Thompson so early just mystifies me. CAR must have a secret plan.

    On Goldman, while I see where you are coming from, I can also see the attraction. If a team can superglue his switch in the "On" position, I think they will have something. He ranked pretty high upon the "effort optional" list.

    Ones I feel vindicated on were Poutasi and McKinney. The former just did not move well and while the latter moved great, he just never did anything upon arrival when he got there... and he did not "get there" enough of the time... at least not without an O-line escort.

    That said there are a couple I disagree with and they are in bold.

    • Shaq Thompson, LB, University of Washington #25 Overall to Carolina
    • Bud Dupree, ED, University of Kentucky #22 Overall to Pittsburgh
    • Jeremiah Poutasi, OT, Utah #66 Overall to Tennessee
    • Matt Jones, RB, Florida #95 Overall to Washington
    • Eddie Goldman, DI, Florida State #39 Overall to Chicago
    • Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State #43 Overall to Houston
    • Mitch Morse, C, Missouri #49 to Kansas City
    • Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forrest #16 Overall to Houston
    • Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State #11 Overall to Minnesota
    • Philip Dorsett, WR, Miami #29 Overall to Indianapolis
    I liked Matt Jones, but as a FB/ short-yardage candidate. As such I would not spend a 3rd on him, but doing so is not a gross overreach.

    Mitch Morse has great feet. He is not strong, but tape showed a knack for taking good angles so I liked him as a ZBS candidate... a lot... but a little later in the draft.

    @tour2ma said:

    Interesting list...

    Common trait seems to have been "measureables without production". Dupree would head this list, but Thompson so early just mystifies me. CAR must have a secret plan.

    On Goldman, while I see where you are coming from, I can also see the attraction. If a team can superglue his switch in the "On" position, I think they will have something. He ranked pretty high upon the "effort optional" list.

    Ones I feel vindicated on were Poutasi and McKinney. The former just did not move well and while the latter moved great, he just never did anything upon arrival when he got there... and he did not "get there" enough of the time... at least not without an O-line escort.

    That said there are a couple I disagree with and they are in bold.

    • Shaq Thompson, LB, University of Washington #25 Overall to Carolina
    • Bud Dupree, ED, University of Kentucky #22 Overall to Pittsburgh
    • Jeremiah Poutasi, OT, Utah #66 Overall to Tennessee
    • Matt Jones, RB, Florida #95 Overall to Washington
    • Eddie Goldman, DI, Florida State #39 Overall to Chicago
    • Benardrick McKinney, LB, Mississippi State #43 Overall to Houston
    • Mitch Morse, C, Missouri #49 to Kansas City
    • Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forrest #16 Overall to Houston
    • Trae Waynes, CB, Michigan State #11 Overall to Minnesota
    • Philip Dorsett, WR, Miami #29 Overall to Indianapolis
    I liked Matt Jones, but as a FB/ short-yardage candidate. As such I would not spend a 3rd on him, but doing so is not a gross overreach.

    Mitch Morse has great feet. He is not strong, but tape showed a knack for taking good angles so I liked him as a ZBS candidate... a lot... but a little later in the draft.

    Got no idea how Philip Dorsett could fail with Luck throwing him the Ball. Watched Kevin Johnson at Wake play many games, got no idea how he could even make this list.. Crazy for Now..