Skip to content

2015 - FA / Draft / Notes

The Browns Board
411 43 14.7k
  • I think Gilbert will progress. Where JF needs to have a Buster Skrine type of progression yr to yr. But skrine actually has heart and talent tho.

  • @cbus-brownie said:

    Like what? Getting 2 busts in the 1st? Again? That was really magical.

    no asswipe. we all know the first round last year was suspect. even though i still think gilbert will be all-pro like you think manziel will be.

    i was talking about the same type of magic farmer brought with the bitonio - desir picks.

    bitch.

    @miktoxic said:

    no asswipe. we all know the first round last year was suspect. even though i still think gilbert will be all-pro like you think manziel will be.

    i was talking about the same type of magic farmer brought with the bitonio - desir picks.

    bitch.

    What a complete fucking moron. Bitonio was a great pick. Desir has shown little. You're wrong about Gilbert, as of now he sucks, that's a FACT. so STFU with your BS all pro garbage.

    You're really a pathetic person. You ever get a boyfriend, or still sucking different dick every night off Tinder? Quit posting all day every day on here and get a fuckin life you POS.

  • I think Hoyer is dividing quite a few Browns Fan.

    Fact is, Hoyer is the winningest QB we've had since the 80's/90's.

    Fact - with a good Rushing attack an Hoyer at QB, we win . . . period.

    From what I've seen the past few days, the Browns are going to run more than they did last year.

    If this is effective, pretty much any QB can be effective - with Hoyer at QB, we'll eat anyone for lunch, I really believe that.

    The overlooked aspect of this upcoming year is the continuity on our Defense.

    Yeah, I'd really like Pettine to keep a high focus on this, but we made strides - for as many yards as we allowed, we were a top 10 in points allowed (bottom line this is were the rubber meets the road).

    Continued Defensive progression and and upgrades in our Offense can really change the complexion of this Team.

    Carolina vs Browns.

    When Manziel went out with the injury, how many folks here felt better with our chances when Hoyer came in?

    Seriously, the guy lead the NFL record for a comeback . . . and we're going to throw this guy on the trash heap?

    His and Benjamins Jerseys are in the freakin's Hall of Fame for The Record comeback in the History of the NFL . . .

    First Start for the Browns vs Minnesota.

    Yeah, really, the guy can play.

    He may not be the shinest in the League, but damn folks, he's had some mighty fine games with what he's had to work with . . . how about that Cincy game last year where Dion said "Pay the Man" ?

    He lost his OL, then Gordon came back running the wrong Routes (INT's galore), still had Chemistry with Austin & Dray for critical 3rd Downs . . . .

    We've seen all he has to offer?

    Damn, he's only played what, 16 games in his entire Career?

    Not to mention he was coming back from an ACL injury . . . you're damn straight I'd give Hoyer the Payday and the Starting job until we find someone better (and I don't think it's JFF).

    Sorry, I may be rubbing some forum members the wrong way, but Hoyer is the best QB this Franchise has seen in 15+ years . . . sign him and play him.

  • @miktoxic said:

    no asswipe. we all know the first round last year was suspect. even though i still think gilbert will be all-pro like you think manziel will be.

    i was talking about the same type of magic farmer brought with the bitonio - desir picks.

    bitch.

    What a complete fucking moron. Bitonio was a great pick. Desir has shown little. You're wrong about Gilbert, as of now he sucks, that's a FACT. so STFU with your BS all pro garbage.

    You're really a pathetic person. You ever get a boyfriend, or still sucking different dick every night off Tinder? Quit posting all day every day on here and get a fuckin life you POS.

    @cbus-brownie said:

    What a complete fucking moron. Bitonio was a great pick. Desir has shown little. You're wrong about Gilbert, as of now he sucks, that's a FACT. so STFU with your BS all pro garbage.

    You're really a pathetic person. You ever get a boyfriend, or still sucking different dick every night off Tinder? Quit posting all day every day on here and get a fuckin life you POS.

    Weeeelllllllll, I have to side with Mik on this one.

    Bitonio was a Home Run.

    Desir as a project Player looks like he could be a winner - hell, he's beat out our #1 (Gilbert) at the end of the Season.

    Gilbert has had a few flashes in my eyes.

    Now whether he takes it to the level of his talent level or not is yet to be seen, but at this point I'd rate him a head of JFF.

    Optimistically it'd be fantastic if both started living up to their Billing, but realistically I see Gilbert doing that more than Manziel.

  • OMG

    You've got to be kidding me.

    This was our #1 failure in developing Manziel and correcting the problems Hoyer developed after our OL went too shit :

    Albert Breer @AlbertBreer · 2h 2 hours ago Bears announce they've hired former Titans OC and Browns QBs coach Dowell Loggains as their quarterbacks coach. So Gase/Loggains for Cutler.

    If Loggains had been on the job, maybe he should have corrected Hoyer's mechanics after we lost our OL continuity . . . maybe even helped Manziel with his . . . .

    That this guy was ever an OC totally befuddles me.

    On ESPN "Fact or Fiction" they said this guy would never Coach in the NFL again . . . .

  • Like part of this :

    Steve Doerschuk @sdoerschukREP · 7h 7 hours ago Blll's dad once told us SB hardware should be called the Paul Brown Trophy. Chances it will ever be the Belichick Trophy suddenly deflated.

    And . . .

    Browns Notebook: ‘Flip’ head over heels for Josh Gordon

    JG might be around for at least one more Season (personally love the guy, but get a grip on Real Life ) :

    http://www.cantonrep.com/article/20150122/SPORTS/150129700/10406/SPORTS

  • @cbus-brownie said:

    What a complete fucking moron. Bitonio was a great pick. Desir has shown little. You're wrong about Gilbert, as of now he sucks, that's a FACT. so STFU with your BS all pro garbage.

    You're really a pathetic person. You ever get a boyfriend, or still sucking different dick every night off Tinder? Quit posting all day every day on here and get a fuckin life you POS.

    Weeeelllllllll, I have to side with Mik on this one.

    Bitonio was a Home Run.

    Desir as a project Player looks like he could be a winner - hell, he's beat out our #1 (Gilbert) at the end of the Season.

    Gilbert has had a few flashes in my eyes.

    Now whether he takes it to the level of his talent level or not is yet to be seen, but at this point I'd rate him a head of JFF.

    Optimistically it'd be fantastic if both started living up to their Billing, but realistically I see Gilbert doing that more than Manziel.

    @jafbf said:

    Weeeelllllllll, I have to side with Mik on this one.

    Bitonio was a Home Run.

    Desir as a project Player looks like he could be a winner - hell, he's beat out our #1 (Gilbert) at the end of the Season.

    Gilbert has had a few flashes in my eyes.

    Now whether he takes it to the level of his talent level or not is yet to be seen, but at this point I'd rate him a head of JFF.

    Optimistically it'd be fantastic if both started living up to their Billing, but realistically I see Gilbert doing that more than Manziel.

    I agree with your previous post on Hoyer, we need to retain him, period.

    I do not agree with seeing flashes of great www in Gilbert, or those flashes somehow justifying #8 overall. As you mentioned, Kuwan Williams and Desir getting more of than him. Thus far he's an epic bust until proven otherwise.

  • JAF...

    Hoyer's issue was his head, not mechanics. Saw this all through the roller coaster 2nd half of the season.

    As long as we can sustain a run game, week in and week out, then Hoyer is an adequate candidate, but so are many other reasonable options. I think we can improve upon him.

    The key concept above is "sustain a run game" and clearly that means O-line depth... real depth, not just players in uniforms with lineman numbers. McDonald worked hard for weeks to improve to be marginally inadequate... and then got hurt. I shudder to think how we'd have fared had Schwartz gone down let alone Thomas.

  • anyone watching the senior bowl?

    the 'north' team has this kid from wisconsin playing right guard. must be close to 6'9".

  • Hey Tony: Soon the Titans will be going up for sale and Jimmy Haslam is scheduled to pay the Lerners $300 or so million. Don’t you think Haslam would rather own his home state team? How likely is it there might be a Browns/Titans ownership swap similar to 1972’s Carrol Rosenbloom’s Baltimore Colts for Robert Irsay’s Los Angeles Rams?

    -- Chris, Miamisburg, OH

    Hey Chris: The current ownership of the Titans has refuted the rumor that the team soon will be up for sale. It may be natural to assume Haslam would prefer to own the team in his own state; he inquired about buying it several years ago. However, I don’t have any reason to believe it. A team-for-team swap is unusual, but as you point out it has been done before. I wouldn’t bet on it.

    http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=18&post_id=41831

    I mentioned this the other day in thread, didn't know if it was possible or had ever happened before.

    Seems it has.

  • JAF...

    Hoyer's issue was his head, not mechanics. Saw this all through the roller coaster 2nd half of the season.

    As long as we can sustain a run game, week in and week out, then Hoyer is an adequate candidate, but so are many other reasonable options. I think we can improve upon him.

    The key concept above is "sustain a run game" and clearly that means O-line depth... real depth, not just players in uniforms with lineman numbers. McDonald worked hard for weeks to improve to be marginally inadequate... and then got hurt. I shudder to think how we'd have fared had Schwartz gone down let alone Thomas.

    @tour2ma said:

    JAF...

    Hoyer's issue was his head, not mechanics. Saw this all through the roller coaster 2nd half of the season.

    As long as we can sustain a run game, week in and week out, then Hoyer is an adequate candidate, but so are many other reasonable options. I think we can improve upon him.

    The key concept above is "sustain a run game" and clearly that means O-line depth... real depth, not just players in uniforms with lineman numbers. McDonald worked hard for weeks to improve to be marginally inadequate... and then got hurt. I shudder to think how we'd have fared had Schwartz gone down let alone Thomas.

    I don't doubt that his head got messed up because his protection went to crap, which resulted in him rushing and messing up his throwing mechanics.

    You could be more right than me on this, I just keep having flashes of some plays where he's throwing off is back foot.

    I'd need to go back and re-watch some games.

  • @miktoxic said:

    i'm hoping for a little draft day magic.

    last year was great but i got a feeling this year will be over the top.

    Like what? Getting 2 busts in the 1st? Again? That was really magical.

    @cbus-brownie said:

    Like what? Getting 2 busts in the 1st? Again? That was really magical.

    Why don't you give it a rest douchebag. You are the biggest negative Fuckwad on the board. We could go 16 and 0 and you'd bitch about something.
  • @cbus-brownie said:

    Like what? Getting 2 busts in the 1st? Again? That was really magical.

    Why don't you give it a rest douchebag. You are the biggest negative Fuckwad on the board. We could go 16 and 0 and you'd bitch about something.

    @jcam222 said:

    Why don't you give it a rest douchebag. You are the biggest negative Fuckwad on the board. We could go 16 and 0 and you'd bitch about something.

    F that. I'll give it a rest when ppl stop applauding an average at best draft.

  • @jcam222 said:

    Why don't you give it a rest douchebag. You are the biggest negative Fuckwad on the board. We could go 16 and 0 and you'd bitch about something.

    F that. I'll give it a rest when ppl stop applauding an average at best draft.

    @cbus-brownie said:

    F that. I'll give it a rest when ppl stop applauding an average at best draft.

    why do you care what other people do?

  • anyone watching the senior bowl?

    the 'north' team has this kid from wisconsin playing right guard. must be close to 6'9".

    @miktoxic said:

    anyone watching the senior bowl?

    the 'north' team has this kid from wisconsin playing right guard. must be close to 6'9".

    OT Rob Havenstein, RS Senior (6-7 | 327 | 5.40 | #78)

    The Badgers' starter at right tackle the past two seasons, Havenstein enters his senior season with 28 starts under his belt, all on the right side. He is a mammoth human being with good body thickness throughout and stout strength to absorb contact and hold his ground. Havenstein has ordinary athleticism for the position and clearly lacks elite lateral quickness with some hip and joint stiffness that keeps him from being a natural bender. He tends to overextend himself at times too with inconsistent body control, but he's a physical mauler and brings the right mentality to the position each snap. Although still inconsistent recognizing extra pressures, Havenstein is the veteran member of the Badgers up front with the most game and starting experience. He isn't a highly graded NFL prospect, but there is a place at the next level for a player with his strengths.

    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-senior-bowl-0120-20150119-story.html#page=1

  • I was more impressed by Collins from LSU on the OL. And if we want to go higher in the draft for a runback/wr type, there is no better than Tyler Lockett from KSU. I watched him in a few games this year and he was the best athlete on that team and has great hands w speed to burn. Shifty little devil too!

  • I was more impressed by Collins from LSU on the OL. And if we want to go higher in the draft for a runback/wr type, there is no better than Tyler Lockett from KSU. I watched him in a few games this year and he was the best athlete on that team and has great hands w speed to burn. Shifty little devil too!

    @texasag1969 said:

    I was more impressed by Collins from LSU on the OL. And if we want to go higher in the draft for a runback/wr type, there is no better than Tyler Lockett from KSU. I watched him in a few games this year and he was the best athlete on that team and has great hands w speed to burn. Shifty little devil too!

    oh there's prob a lot better candidates. saw havenstein yesterday play in the senior bowl and they had at LT, G and RT and he just manhandled anyone that came up against him. plus having the ability to play those multiple postions AND he'll prob still be available in the late 3rd early 4th........??

  • I think a higher tackle pick would be a good idea. God forbid that

    Joe Thomas gets hurt. Whoever the qb is, will get hurt.

    A guy who is so good, he could play RT, and take over on the left eventually,

    well, unless Joe is going to play til he's 35 and never get hurt......, (he's 30 now?)

    That would be very smart. And those guys tend to be valued way too high to nab them

    later on. If your oline can't block, you may as well admit it, your offense will fail.

  • I think a higher tackle pick would be a good idea. God forbid that

    Joe Thomas gets hurt. Whoever the qb is, will get hurt.

    A guy who is so good, he could play RT, and take over on the left eventually,

    well, unless Joe is going to play til he's 35 and never get hurt......, (he's 30 now?)

    That would be very smart. And those guys tend to be valued way too high to nab them

    later on. If your oline can't block, you may as well admit it, your offense will fail.

    @calfoxwc said:

    God forbid that Joe Thomas gets hurt.....

    well, unless Joe is going to play til he's 35 and never get hurt......, (he's 30 now?)

    And, though I have nothing to base this on, I think that Thomas seems like he could be the type to retire early vs staying too long.....

    So Id only plan on getting a couple/few more years from him, then everything after that is bonus time.....

    If he got injured, Bito could probably step in and do ok in a pinch.....he would definitely do better than our back up centers did this season....thats for sure!

  • @tour2ma said:

    JAF...

    Hoyer's issue was his head, not mechanics. Saw this all through the roller coaster 2nd half of the season.

    As long as we can sustain a run game, week in and week out, then Hoyer is an adequate candidate, but so are many other reasonable options. I think we can improve upon him.

    The key concept above is "sustain a run game" and clearly that means O-line depth... real depth, not just players in uniforms with lineman numbers. McDonald worked hard for weeks to improve to be marginally inadequate... and then got hurt. I shudder to think how we'd have fared had Schwartz gone down let alone Thomas.

    I don't doubt that his head got messed up because his protection went to crap, which resulted in him rushing and messing up his throwing mechanics.

    You could be more right than me on this, I just keep having flashes of some plays where he's throwing off is back foot.

    I'd need to go back and re-watch some games.

    @jafbf said:

    You could be more right than me on this, I just keep having flashes of some plays where he's throwing off is back foot. I'd need to go back and re-watch some games.

    And just to be clear I am not saying those memories are incorrect, but if you do rewatch games try noting where he steps in relationship to his back foot (from 0900 to 1200) vs. how the pass looked (how authoritative, tightness of spiral) vs. the result (on target, slightly off, well off). Only time I found front back foot useful was when on the run.

    @miktoxic said:

    OT Rob Havenstein, RS Senior (6-7 | 327 | 5.40 | #78)

    ... ordinary athleticism for the position and clearly lacks elite lateral quickness with some hip and joint stiffness that keeps him from being a natural bender. He tends to overextend himself at times too with inconsistent body control...[/size]

    We're pretty much covered there... 🙂

    I screwed around and missed the game, but few of the linemen that my sights are narrowing in on were there. Some accounts say that one I have taken a liking to did well though... Duke OG Laken Tomlinson. As an added most see him as a Day 2 guy... or at least they did going into the Sr. Bowl.