Skip to content

How good Is Hoyer?

The Browns Board
54 22 1.9k
  • So... What's the question here?

  • So... What's the question here?

    @tiamat63 said:

    So... What's the question here?

    Sorry about the rambling. My question is Hoyer more than just a back up QB?

  • @tiamat63 said:

    So... What's the question here?

    Sorry about the rambling. My question is Hoyer more than just a back up QB?

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    Sorry about the rambling. My question is Hoyer more than just a back up QB?

    A very good backup that will undoubtedly get a chance somewhere.

  • I have enjoyed posting here. I consider myself a good Browns fan but some of you guys could be working for the Browns. Within minutes of the hiring of Defilippo you were talking about it. I asked some friends (huge Browns fans) days after the hiring what they thought about the new OC and they said "what happened to the other guy? " lol

    I like Hoyer. I have seen him do things with the Browns I haven't seen for a while with other Browns quarterbacks such as bringing the team back from a deficit. He had a pretty good record until the last half of the season. My concern is he will go to another team and do well and we will lose out. I am for over paying to keep him. I see him at least being a bridge until we find the right quarterback. I read things like Hoyer spending hours on a Saturday night going over the play book with Gordon and I like his work ethic.

    I am hoping we can sign him as a FA. I don't see any veteran qb I would prefer over him.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    I have enjoyed posting here. I consider myself a good Browns fan but some of you guys could be working for the Browns. Within minutes of the hiring of Defilippo you were talking about it. I asked some friends (huge Browns fans) days after the hiring what they thought about the new OC and they said "what happened to the other guy? " lol

    and some of us were talking about it 2 weeks BEFORE he was hired...😉 .....ha!

    @mudfly said:

    My prediction is it will be.....DeFilippo....

    QB guru with lots of upside....limited experience, though I think this will limit his ego and create a more "workable" situation within the existing coaching staffs......and he has a history with Pettine, so he'll know what he's buyng, so to speak........

    On Hoyer....everything you said is true......hate to lose him and not have a viable replacement.....but may have to overpay for a very average player.....

    He's definitely a good guy with a good work ethic, so he's easy to like and cheer for.....but, in all honesty, he isn't the answer long term.....

    Id sign him, but not if I have to overpay.....if your gonna settle for average(and we may have to), then there are lots of average guys available for average dollars....

  • I'd say he's more than a backup. Not every team can have an elite quarterback. Sometimes you just need a guy who doesn't make mistakes.

    Pre Mack Hoyer was that guy. Nothing great, but good enough to make game winning drives.

    So I'd say he's an average NFL qb. I'll take average over what we've had since our return.

  • Mudfly...From the reading I did after Shanahan left I didn't see Defilippo on any radar screens so you did well with that prediction.

    I would like to see Hoyer back with the Browns with the improvements on offense they will certainly (almost certainly) make in the draft.

  • Mudfly...From the reading I did after Shanahan left I didn't see Defilippo on any radar screens so you did well with that prediction.

    I would like to see Hoyer back with the Browns with the improvements on offense they will certainly (almost certainly) make in the draft.

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    Mudfly...From the reading I did after Shanahan left I didn't see Defilippo on any radar screens so you did well with that prediction.

    I would like to see Hoyer back with the Browns with the improvements on offense they will certainly (almost certainly) make in the draft.

    For the sake of continuity, I agree he looks like the best option right now......

    And whatever issues he may or may not have had with Johnny before, should be gone now.....gotta assume he feels more comfortable that JFF isnt getting anything handed to him and he has an equal(and fair) shot at the job....which is all I think he wanted to begin with....

  • Which Hoyer?

    The early, confident, conservative, "first-do-no harm" Hoyer with his quick reads and strong play-action skills was a fine complement to a strong running attack and a stingy D (unfortunately the latter was not yet in place). He played like a top-third QB during that period. He was pretty much maxed out at that performance level.

    Once Mack went down, taking the consistency of the running attack with him, Hoyer simply had no additional "gears" to compensate for games where the running attack was AWOL. But the pressure was there to do more. I think this started his downward spiral. Ultimately his confidence was shot. He tried to put on a brave face, but there just was too little behind it. This Hoyer fell into the bottom quartile.

    Late we glimpsed a bit of the good Hoyer vs. CAR. More relaxed coming off the bench, he put in an OK relief performance against a good D that limited, if not shut down, our run game.

    I think Hoyer can be "the good Hoyer" again.

    I think that with a run game and a D, he can take us further than either of our current roster alternatives.

    I think he can get us into the post season... and that's a start.

    But I believe that another alternative will materialize.

  • Ceiling Trent Dilfer, Floor Brian Hoyer

  • @tiamat63 said:

    So... What's the question here?

    Sorry about the rambling. My question is Hoyer more than just a back up QB?

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    Sorry about the rambling. My question is Hoyer more than just a back up QB?

    Not IMHO

  • The funny thing about the NFL is no matter how talented you are you get figured out as a QB after a while. Brian Hoyer despite his age was a new QB in 2014 for all important metrics. The run game was on fire and he just was asked to not turn the ball over. However, right around the Jacksonville game is when the flip switched and the "figuring out" occurred. The game was put on Hoyer to win from the first snap of the ball and he proved consistently he couldn't do it. I personally saw more than enough of this to realize it.

    There's plenty of guys like Hoyer in the NFL who are coveted for their mediocre but good enough QB play. Look at guys like Drew Stanton, Shaun Hill, Mark Sanchez, Kyle Orton etc. These guys can go in and win you a short spurt of games when a true starter goes down but all get their game figured out sooner than later. That's what Hoyer is and it will be the same script if he's re-signed to start. I get it, that's probably better than Manziel but it's not good enough either.

  • JAX was the first full game Mack was out.

    JAX was the great McQuistan experiment... it was never repeated.

    Hoyer threw one pick, late on a play where he got killed.

    After JAX figured us out, we ran off three straight wins culminating in our best win of the season in Cinci #1.

  • I was extremely hard on Hoyer this season. It was so hard to get behind him because of that low completion percentage and how he constantly failed on 3rd downs. The thing that I didn't take into consideration was this was his first year starting and his first year in this offense.

    With that said there is absolutely nothing enticing about the quarterbacks currently available. Things may change if RG3, Foles, or Bradford need a home, but I think we're better off giving the job to Hoyer and cutting Johnny F*cknuts.

  • I was extremely hard on Hoyer this season. It was so hard to get behind him because of that low completion percentage and how he constantly failed on 3rd downs. The thing that I didn't take into consideration was this was his first year starting and his first year in this offense.

    With that said there is absolutely nothing enticing about the quarterbacks currently available. Things may change if RG3, Foles, or Bradford need a home, but I think we're better off giving the job to Hoyer and cutting Johnny F*cknuts.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    I was extremely hard on Hoyer this season. It was so hard to get behind him because of that low completion percentage and how he constantly failed on 3rd downs. The thing that I didn't take into consideration was this was his first year starting and his first year in this offense.

    With that said there is absolutely nothing enticing about the quarterbacks currently available. Things may change if RG3, Foles, or Bradford need a home, but I think we're better off giving the job to Hoyer and cutting Johnny F*cknuts.

    Of course after you make a raft of excuses for BH you whine like a bitch about Johnny. The exact same bad circumstances were thrown in his lap and he has not had the benefit of over 6 years in the NFL as well as almost an entire season starting in this offense with this team. Dude its raining on both sides of the ball.

    WSS

  • Except Johnny is a self entitled prick. Even if you don't buy into all of the media trash talk, our quarterback was such a douche that he got kicked out of a frat party. Do you know how hard it is to be kicked out of a frat party... As the all star quarterback of your school!

    I hated the pick when it happened and he looks just like I thought he would in the pros. He's garbage and he doesn't have the drive to be anything better.

  • Except Johnny is a self entitled prick. Even if you don't buy into all of the media trash talk, our quarterback was such a douche that he got kicked out of a frat party. Do you know how hard it is to be kicked out of a frat party... As the all star quarterback of your school!

    I hated the pick when it happened and he looks just like I thought he would in the pros. He's garbage and he doesn't have the drive to be anything better.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    Except Johnny is a self entitled prick. Even if you don't buy into all of the media trash talk, our quarterback was such a douche that he got kicked out of a frat party. Do you know how hard it is to be kicked out of a frat party... As the all star quarterback of your school!

    I hated the pick when it happened and he looks just like I thought he would in the pros. He's garbage and he doesn't have the drive to be anything better.

    Uh yeah, very insightful.

    WSS

  • OldBrownsFan: Ask Your Self a question.. Browns were Winners with Kosar and Sipe at STARTING QB's. Can a gritty, Great person that has been labeled as a Career Backup QB get us to the promise land?? I think not, it's time to move on. I am a long time Hoyer supporter and do not want to tie into a deal with the likes of Cardel Jones and other's coming out and other FA's. Hoyer barely beat out a man called Johnny Football, what really do you have in Hoyer after watching that. Manziel is your scarry thought in your head and Hoyer will go on and win games and properly beat us but That's Browns Football..

  • Hoyer is a mediocre-talented quarterback who has problems with his confidence and, by extension, his accuracy.

    He's also one of the most studious, professional, hard working guys in the league.

    If he were on a team stocked with talent and didn't have to worry about losing his job, Hoyer could probably win you 10 games in a good season. With great playcalling and inseason management, maybe even 12.

    Hoyer's ceiling is Matt Cassel in 2008/2010. Hoyer's floor is Matt Cassel in 2014.

    Brian Hoyer is Matt Cassel. Finkle is Einhorn.

  • The funny thing about the NFL is no matter how talented you are you get figured out as a QB after a while. Brian Hoyer despite his age was a new QB in 2014 for all important metrics. The run game was on fire and he just was asked to not turn the ball over. However, right around the Jacksonville game is when the flip switched and the "figuring out" occurred. The game was put on Hoyer to win from the first snap of the ball and he proved consistently he couldn't do it. I personally saw more than enough of this to realize it.

    There's plenty of guys like Hoyer in the NFL who are coveted for their mediocre but good enough QB play. Look at guys like Drew Stanton, Shaun Hill, Mark Sanchez, Kyle Orton etc. These guys can go in and win you a short spurt of games when a true starter goes down but all get their game figured out sooner than later. That's what Hoyer is and it will be the same script if he's re-signed to start. I get it, that's probably better than Manziel but it's not good enough either.

    @jrb12711 said:

    The funny thing about the NFL is no matter how talented you are you get figured out as a QB after a while. Brian Hoyer despite his age was a new QB in 2014 for all important metrics. The run game was on fire and he just was asked to not turn the ball over. However, right around the Jacksonville game is when the flip switched and the "figuring out" occurred. The game was put on Hoyer to win from the first snap of the ball and he proved consistently he couldn't do it. I personally saw more than enough of this to realize it.

    There's plenty of guys like Hoyer in the NFL who are coveted for their mediocre but good enough QB play. Look at guys like Drew Stanton, Shaun Hill, Mark Sanchez, Kyle Orton etc. These guys can go in and win you a short spurt of games when a true starter goes down but all get their game figured out sooner than later. That's what Hoyer is and it will be the same script if he's re-signed to start. I get it, that's probably better than Manziel but it's not good enough either.

    That's a highly coveted list of quarterbacks you listed there, buddy.

  • Except Johnny is a self entitled prick. Even if you don't buy into all of the media trash talk, our quarterback was such a douche that he got kicked out of a frat party. Do you know how hard it is to be kicked out of a frat party... As the all star quarterback of your school!

    I hated the pick when it happened and he looks just like I thought he would in the pros. He's garbage and he doesn't have the drive to be anything better.

    @louisville-slugger said:

    Except Johnny is a self entitled prick. Even if you don't buy into all of the media trash talk, our quarterback was such a douche that he got kicked out of a frat party. Do you know how hard it is to be kicked out of a frat party... As the all star quarterback of your school!

    You need a fact checker. The frat he was kicked out of was at the University of Texas @ Austin. They positively hate the guy for making our entry into the SEC a major success when they wanted us so badly to fail because we left the Longhorn conference the were so busily constructing (same reason Neb. Colo and Mo. left).