David Bowens
-
He's visiting the Browns tomorrow. Smart move by ManKok.
-
Aloysius said:
He's visiting the Browns tomorrow. Smart move by ManKok.This is potentially a good move..
He is definately an upgrade to williams at ilb if his knee is ok and if his price is right mankok will bite..

I like tough team oriented guys and mangini knows what this guy has so its likely a lock..
-
Before David Harris got hurt, Mangini often used Bowens as a DE on passing downs, similar to what Romeo sometimes did with McGinest. Bowens had some success rushing from that spot, as well as confusing offenses by dropping back on zone blitzes.
It's something that Mangini might be interested in doing next year, especially if Robaire Smith doesn't come back with the speed he had before the Achilles injury.
And once Harris got hurt, Bowens ended up blitzing a lot from the ILB spot. That partly could have been due to him not being great in coverage, but he also got some pressure from that spot. Though he didn't generate a lot of sacks, he showed a knack for sneaking through the o-line and, when he couldn't find an opening, using his running start to push back o-linemen.
He's not the kind of FA that'll transform our defense, but his versatility will bolster our depth with someone who, if called upon, could prove to be something of a playmaker. He'll also be a solid special teams player and a good veteran influence in the locker room.
I hope Kokinis signs him.
-
Before David Harris got hurt, Mangini often used Bowens as a DE on passing downs, similar to what Romeo sometimes did with McGinest. Bowens had some success rushing from that spot, as well as confusing offenses by dropping back on zone blitzes.
It's something that Mangini might be interested in doing next year, especially if Robaire Smith doesn't come back with the speed he had before the Achilles injury.
And once Harris got hurt, Bowens ended up blitzing a lot from the ILB spot. That partly could have been due to him not being great in coverage, but he also got some pressure from that spot. Though he didn't generate a lot of sacks, he showed a knack for sneaking through the o-line and, when he couldn't find an opening, using his running start to push back o-linemen.
He's not the kind of FA that'll transform our defense, but his versatility will bolster our depth with someone who, if called upon, could prove to be something of a playmaker. He'll also be a solid special teams player and a good veteran influence in the locker room.
I hope Kokinis signs him.
Aloysius said:
Before David Harris got hurt, Mangini often used Bowens as a DE on passing downs, similar to what Romeo sometimes did with McGinest. Bowens had some success rushing from that spot, as well as confusing offenses by dropping back on zone blitzes.You beat me to it....I didn't know that, but I wondered if he could actually play DE. He's a monster.
I hope we sign him as well.
-
When I saw him play a few times last year he caught my eye. I would have guessed he was a few years younger by the way he played. Which is a good thing. Man would it be nice to actually confuse a defense or even make them think twice?!
I'm all for this signing too. We could prob get him on a cheap two year deal.
Solid pickup all around would sure beat breaking the bank of high profile FAs...
-
Aloysius said:
Before David Harris got hurt, Mangini often used Bowens as a DE on passing downs, similar to what Romeo sometimes did with McGinest. Bowens had some success rushing from that spot, as well as confusing offenses by dropping back on zone blitzes.You beat me to it....I didn't know that, but I wondered if he could actually play DE. He's a monster.
I hope we sign him as well.
oldcow1945 said:
You beat me to it....I didn't know that, but I wondered if he could actually play DE. He's a monster.I hope we sign him as well.
I believe that's why he's here. He's the type of guys Mangini wants to surround himself with. Here's a guy that definately has limitations but will do anything. Captain of their special teams unit. Plays ILB, OLB and can rush the passer. He's a overachiever that has no quit in him. Mangini say he's one of the smartest defensive players they had.
That's the toughness I want to see on this Browns team. Mosley is the same way. High motor and gives you 100% every down he plays. An anti Saun Smith.
Neither of these guys are starters, but these are the type of team first situational players we need. You got to hae these type of guys on your team. Bowens is the type of guy I want B. Bell to be practicing next to.
-
The Browns are expected to extend contract offers to Bowens and C.J. Mosley tomorrow.
-
Aloysius said:
The Browns are expected to extend contract offers to Bowens and C.J. Mosley tomorrow.IMO, two very good additions. The type of role players we need.
-
According to the OBR, Bowens and Mosley are trying to convince Eric Barton to join them in Cleveland. Though the two haven't signed with us yet, it definitely sounds like they're planning on it.
-
According to the OBR, Bowens and Mosley are trying to convince Eric Barton to join them in Cleveland. Though the two haven't signed with us yet, it definitely sounds like they're planning on it.
Aloysius said:
According to the OBR, Bowens and Mosley are trying to convince Eric Barton to join them in Cleveland. Though the two haven't signed with us yet, it definitely sounds like they're planning on it.These are the kind of signings the Brown's need. It allows them to look more at the best players available in the draft instead of reaching for needs.
-
The guys at the OBR have multiple sources telling them that Bowens will have a deal with the Browns by the end of the day.
-
The guys at the OBR have multiple sources telling them that Bowens will have a deal with the Browns by the end of the day.
Aloysius said:
The guys at the OBR have multiple sources telling them that Bowens will have a deal with the Browns by the end of the day.I hope so i think mangini knows what he is doing here bringing in known workhorse reserves to add some depth and stability i know i wasnt going to get optimistic about this season but i cant help it i like what i see so far...

-
@shepwrite said:
Bowens looks like a lock. I'm guessing Barton will be next. Those three will create some draft flexibility.That would take the pressure off the Browns to pick for needs/musts and let them go after the best players available in round two. They would be able to look at RB, WR and Center. But they still have a must fill in the SS position.
-
John McClane said:
who would the best SS be available in the second? Chung?William Moore, Patrick Chung, Nic Harris and I like Chip Vaughn who could be ther in the 3rd round. All are physical SS that hit like we wish Jones could of. All need some work in coverage, but the number one thing you look for in a SS is a guy who can provide run support. A guy who could come up and thump someone.
The only iffy one to me would be Harris, the others I would take and be very happy. Every player in the draft has some negatives and it is up to the coaches to coach them up. These guys have that "I'm gonna bury you" mentality. Chung reminds me of a Bob Sanders.
-
Nic Harris looked good playing linebacker at the Senior Bowl and ran a 4.84 40 at the Combine; I doubt teams are still looking at him as a safety.
-
whats the word on david bowens? did he sign yet?
-
Nic Harris looked good playing linebacker at the Senior Bowl and ran a 4.84 40 at the Combine; I doubt teams are still looking at him as a safety.
Aloysius said:
Nic Harris looked good playing linebacker at the Senior Bowl and ran a 4.84 40 at the Combine; I doubt teams are still looking at him as a safety.As i said, he would be the only one of the top rated SSs that I would stay away from. I know you think Moore is a better LB prospect then a SS prospect, but you are pretty much alone on that one. Most love his quickness, speed and size. He has decent coverage skills and at this point as a rookie coming into camp he is a big upgrade over Jones.
Hits harder, covers better and is healthier. Also will be about 1/3 of the cost.
I also like Chung and think Chip Vaughn will start to climb up a lot of teams boards.
-
If you're going to claim I'm alone on something, you might as well accurately report what I said, which was that scouts at the Senior Bowl were talking about Moore converting to linebacker.
Clearly, he's done enough at the Combine and his pro day to convince people he should stick at safety, but that doesn't mean he's going to be an effective cover guy - I still have concerns about that.
-
If you're going to claim I'm alone on something, you might as well accurately report what I said, which was that scouts at the Senior Bowl were talking about Moore converting to linebacker.
Clearly, he's done enough at the Combine and his pro day to convince people he should stick at safety, but that doesn't mean he's going to be an effective cover guy - I still have concerns about that.
Aloysius said:
If you're going to claim I'm alone on something, you might as well accurately report what I said, which was that scouts at the Senior Bowl were talking about Moore converting to linebacker.Clearly, he's done enough at the Combine and his pro day to convince people he should stick at safety, but that doesn't mean he's going to be an effective cover guy - I still have concerns about that.
Please reread the comment. It says that "you are pretty much alone on that", meaning just what you said that most at the combine and his pro day say he is a very effective SS and is rated the top SS in the draft. I never heard of anyone saying he would make a better LB except you.
I make a honest statement to an opinion you posted and it was not belittling or abusive so don't get all pissy because someone challenged one of your opinions. Sorry, you don't get to corner the market on opinions and I would hope you admit you aren't a sole authority.
-
Sole authority? lol.
I love debating this stuff with people, but I don't appreciate it when someone claims I said something that I don't think I ever said. Sure, I relayed the news that scouts at the Senior Bowl were talking about him converting to linebacker, but I never said he couldn't play safety. From what I remember, the strongest thing I said was that he wouldn't be playing FS at the next level. If you're able to provide a link to a post in which I say that Moore couldn't play SS, that'd be different. Otherwise, I'm not going to let you tell me I'm out on an island saying something that I never said.
As for everyone having him rated as the #1 SS, nfldraftscout has him behind Patrick Chung. Scott Wright has him ranked as the #2 safety behind Louis Delmas. Despite a poor senior season and Senior Bowl, he probably is one of the top 3-4 safeties in this class, which is a testament to how weak the safety class is this year.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login