David Bowens
-
Jets release David Bowens and Brad Kassell
A couple more salary dumps as the Jets get ready for the start of free agency next Friday. No real susprises here, although Bowens did have his moments in spots during his run with the Jets. Kassell spent last season on injured reserve with a knee problem.
Bowens played in 32 games with seven starts in two seasons with the Jets and recorded 44 tackles (17 solo), 6.5 sacks, one interception, five passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. In 2008, he played in 16 games with five starts at inside linebacker and recorded 31 tackles (14 solo), four sacks, one interception, two passes defensed, two forced fumbles and one fumble recovery. He originally signed with the Jets as an unrestricted free agent in 2007 after spending seven seasons with the Dolphins.
Bowens played well in relief of David Harris when the young ILB got hurt last year. For the season, Bowens made 40 tackles and notched 4 sacks. Mangini is said to have liked the pressure Bowens got when he blitzed from the inside.
He'd be a cheap, very smart signing for us.
-
Sounds like Bowen & Mangini have a good relationship:
Teammates tease Bowens about his bowling obsession. In fact, when he arrived at Coach Eric Mangini’s charity bowling tournament last spring, he scored a 122. Mangini compared it to golfers with the best equipment who still “shoot as bad as I do.”
“He didn’t actually perform when he had the chance in bowling,” Mangini said.
But the good-natured ribbing from his coach has not dented Bowens’s confidence.
“If you beat me,” he said at Jersey Lanes, “I’ll let you have my truck.”
And this is a good sign:
Bowens, an ex-Dolphin, brings experience and smarts.
"I think his strength, or a really significant strength, is his intelligence,'' said coach Eric Mangini of Bowens. "He understands everything that's going on. He's very savvy.''
Bowens was also a special teams captain in New York.
-
Bowens value might be in his knowledge and the ability to play both ILB and OLB. While he did ok filling in for Harris for a good amount of games, the Jets already weak pass coverage was exposed even further when Bowens was in there. He may be a wily old veteran but his skills are and have been diminishing. Add to the fact that he suffered a knee injury in the final game of the last season, I'm not sure how effective he will be on the field. He may be worthwhile only at vet minimum. I would say Barton at a comparable pricetag would be a better choice.
-
What about Bowens' rush ability? I know that he notched 4 sacks last year, but some articles seemed to suggest that he got a lot of pressure blitzing from the inside. Is that true?
-
What about Bowens' rush ability? I know that he notched 4 sacks last year, but some articles seemed to suggest that he got a lot of pressure blitzing from the inside. Is that true?
Aloysius said:
What about Bowens' rush ability? I know that he notched 4 sacks last year, but some articles seemed to suggest that he got a lot of pressure blitzing from the inside. Is that true?To be honest, I can't remember all of his sacks (only 4...haha) but he rarely, if at all, got a sack by exerting his will or forcing the issue on the defender. Most of his sacks were created either by protection breakdown caused by Jenkins or coverage sacks in those rare instances when the Jets pass coverage actually held up. There was a clear drop-off in inside pressure when Bowens replaced Harris. He was a situation pass rush specialist with the Fins before the Jets signed him, which would indicate that he can pass rush but he wasn't very impressive, at least as a starting ILB.
-
Meanwhile, the Jets lost a respected leader in Bowens, who started five games when Harris was hurt. Bowens recently underwent arthroscopic knee surgery.
"My knee was messed up since training camp," he said. "I could've sat down, but I sucked it up for the team. Was it worth it? Yeah, it was. I put the team ahead of me."
-
Looks like we're interested in Bowens. If his knee checks out, he'd be a decent depth signing; he'd add some size and rush ability to our LB core.
-
Looks like we're interested in Bowens. If his knee checks out, he'd be a decent depth signing; he'd add some size and rush ability to our LB core.
Aloysius said:
Looks like we're interested in Bowens. If his knee checks out, he'd be a decent depth signing; he'd add some size and rush ability to our LB core.I absolutely agree, he's a big upgrade over Leon Williams. I mean we have Jackson and Williams. Not only do we need depth, we need tough guys to play special teams.
-
He's visiting the Browns tomorrow. Smart move by ManKok.
-
Aloysius said:
He's visiting the Browns tomorrow. Smart move by ManKok.This is potentially a good move..
He is definately an upgrade to williams at ilb if his knee is ok and if his price is right mankok will bite..

I like tough team oriented guys and mangini knows what this guy has so its likely a lock..
-
Before David Harris got hurt, Mangini often used Bowens as a DE on passing downs, similar to what Romeo sometimes did with McGinest. Bowens had some success rushing from that spot, as well as confusing offenses by dropping back on zone blitzes.
It's something that Mangini might be interested in doing next year, especially if Robaire Smith doesn't come back with the speed he had before the Achilles injury.
And once Harris got hurt, Bowens ended up blitzing a lot from the ILB spot. That partly could have been due to him not being great in coverage, but he also got some pressure from that spot. Though he didn't generate a lot of sacks, he showed a knack for sneaking through the o-line and, when he couldn't find an opening, using his running start to push back o-linemen.
He's not the kind of FA that'll transform our defense, but his versatility will bolster our depth with someone who, if called upon, could prove to be something of a playmaker. He'll also be a solid special teams player and a good veteran influence in the locker room.
I hope Kokinis signs him.
-
Before David Harris got hurt, Mangini often used Bowens as a DE on passing downs, similar to what Romeo sometimes did with McGinest. Bowens had some success rushing from that spot, as well as confusing offenses by dropping back on zone blitzes.
It's something that Mangini might be interested in doing next year, especially if Robaire Smith doesn't come back with the speed he had before the Achilles injury.
And once Harris got hurt, Bowens ended up blitzing a lot from the ILB spot. That partly could have been due to him not being great in coverage, but he also got some pressure from that spot. Though he didn't generate a lot of sacks, he showed a knack for sneaking through the o-line and, when he couldn't find an opening, using his running start to push back o-linemen.
He's not the kind of FA that'll transform our defense, but his versatility will bolster our depth with someone who, if called upon, could prove to be something of a playmaker. He'll also be a solid special teams player and a good veteran influence in the locker room.
I hope Kokinis signs him.
Aloysius said:
Before David Harris got hurt, Mangini often used Bowens as a DE on passing downs, similar to what Romeo sometimes did with McGinest. Bowens had some success rushing from that spot, as well as confusing offenses by dropping back on zone blitzes.You beat me to it....I didn't know that, but I wondered if he could actually play DE. He's a monster.
I hope we sign him as well.
-
When I saw him play a few times last year he caught my eye. I would have guessed he was a few years younger by the way he played. Which is a good thing. Man would it be nice to actually confuse a defense or even make them think twice?!
I'm all for this signing too. We could prob get him on a cheap two year deal.
Solid pickup all around would sure beat breaking the bank of high profile FAs...
-
Aloysius said:
Before David Harris got hurt, Mangini often used Bowens as a DE on passing downs, similar to what Romeo sometimes did with McGinest. Bowens had some success rushing from that spot, as well as confusing offenses by dropping back on zone blitzes.You beat me to it....I didn't know that, but I wondered if he could actually play DE. He's a monster.
I hope we sign him as well.
oldcow1945 said:
You beat me to it....I didn't know that, but I wondered if he could actually play DE. He's a monster.I hope we sign him as well.
I believe that's why he's here. He's the type of guys Mangini wants to surround himself with. Here's a guy that definately has limitations but will do anything. Captain of their special teams unit. Plays ILB, OLB and can rush the passer. He's a overachiever that has no quit in him. Mangini say he's one of the smartest defensive players they had.
That's the toughness I want to see on this Browns team. Mosley is the same way. High motor and gives you 100% every down he plays. An anti Saun Smith.
Neither of these guys are starters, but these are the type of team first situational players we need. You got to hae these type of guys on your team. Bowens is the type of guy I want B. Bell to be practicing next to.
-
The Browns are expected to extend contract offers to Bowens and C.J. Mosley tomorrow.
-
Aloysius said:
The Browns are expected to extend contract offers to Bowens and C.J. Mosley tomorrow.IMO, two very good additions. The type of role players we need.
-
According to the OBR, Bowens and Mosley are trying to convince Eric Barton to join them in Cleveland. Though the two haven't signed with us yet, it definitely sounds like they're planning on it.
-
According to the OBR, Bowens and Mosley are trying to convince Eric Barton to join them in Cleveland. Though the two haven't signed with us yet, it definitely sounds like they're planning on it.
Aloysius said:
According to the OBR, Bowens and Mosley are trying to convince Eric Barton to join them in Cleveland. Though the two haven't signed with us yet, it definitely sounds like they're planning on it.These are the kind of signings the Brown's need. It allows them to look more at the best players available in the draft instead of reaching for needs.
-
The guys at the OBR have multiple sources telling them that Bowens will have a deal with the Browns by the end of the day.
-
The guys at the OBR have multiple sources telling them that Bowens will have a deal with the Browns by the end of the day.
Aloysius said:
The guys at the OBR have multiple sources telling them that Bowens will have a deal with the Browns by the end of the day.I hope so i think mangini knows what he is doing here bringing in known workhorse reserves to add some depth and stability i know i wasnt going to get optimistic about this season but i cant help it i like what i see so far...

Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login