What makes great QBs GREAT
-
"clutch" is something that for me doesn't exist.
-
one that has the nads to audible
against the "scripted" plays of the staff - (IE Kosar - Belichek)
that would be old school and quite fun to watch if he were successful.
I always thought the good QBs have some game time feel for the defensive scheme while
the coordinators seem to be busy staging the next play - taking away a decent competitive edge of a capable QB.
-
Ability to read defenses, spends a lot of time in game preparation, good leadership qualities, doesn't make bad throws into coverage, good clock management skills, confidence, takes charge in the huddle, I would sum it all up with Joe Montana.
-
Karma?
-
A great QB is one that wins in the playoffs. When the pressure is the highest and the competition is the best. If a QB can't do that then he is not great IMO
-
A great qb is the one that can excel at HIS job,
while he has an oline that can block well, and wr's
that can get OPEN, if need be, quickly....
and running backs that know how to be good running backs.
Archie Manning was a GREAT qb that never had the above.
-
Composure. Intelligence. Talent. Confidence.
A QB with all four of those things will do/have all of the things everyone has mentioned this far.
-
-
brains.

-
I'll have to say decisiveness. The ability to make the right decisions with the football quickly and consistently.
-
Based upon history, Id say it's mostly great teams that make great QB's.
You could be an amazing player......but until your team is great(or you make it great)....you aint great(by most standards)....
And many of the great ones are considered such because of wins, not QB play alone.(which I think kinda sucks).
And lots of great ones dont get their due because they landed on shit teams and had zero help.(which I also dont like)...
So....winning makes you great,,,,,nothing else....
-
Based upon history, Id say it's mostly great teams that make great QB's.
You could be an amazing player......but until your team is great(or you make it great)....you aint great(by most standards)....
And many of the great ones are considered such because of wins, not QB play alone.(which I think kinda sucks).
And lots of great ones dont get their due because they landed on shit teams and had zero help.(which I also dont like)...
So....winning makes you great,,,,,nothing else....
Based upon history, Id say it's mostly great teams that make great QB's.
You could be an amazing player......but until your team is great(or you make it great)....you aint great(by most standards)....
And many of the great ones are considered such because of wins, not QB play alone.(which I think kinda sucks).
And lots of great ones dont get their due because they landed on shit teams and had zero help.(which I also dont like)...
So....winning makes you great,,,,,nothing else....
Uhmm no.. Teams go as they're QB goes.. take away Manning,Brady,Rodgers and even Roethlisberger.. none of those teams would ever sniff the playoffs...
-
Based upon history, Id say it's mostly great teams that make great QB's.
You could be an amazing player......but until your team is great(or you make it great)....you aint great(by most standards)....
And many of the great ones are considered such because of wins, not QB play alone.(which I think kinda sucks).
And lots of great ones dont get their due because they landed on shit teams and had zero help.(which I also dont like)...
So....winning makes you great,,,,,nothing else....
Uhmm no.. Teams go as they're QB goes.. take away Manning,Brady,Rodgers and even Roethlisberger.. none of those teams would ever sniff the playoffs...
-
-
All good replies, besides Ghoolies usual Kosar hate haha. I think this is a very important and interesting topic to discuss. Ultimately, we all have varying opinions and ideas of what makes a successful QB, though I think we can all agree on at least a handful of basic qualities: confidence, intelligence, adequate arm strength, poise, great decision making etc.
And I think we can all agree, as Browns fans, that finding a QB who is good to great is far from easy and very much a crapshoot rather than an exact science.
-
1st-start with a great line-if you build it he will come.

-
Whatever it is that makes a great quarterback great just go the opposite of that for our choices since 99.
-
Based upon history, Id say it's mostly great teams that make great QB's.
You could be an amazing player......but until your team is great(or you make it great)....you aint great(by most standards)....
And many of the great ones are considered such because of wins, not QB play alone.(which I think kinda sucks).
And lots of great ones dont get their due because they landed on shit teams and had zero help.(which I also dont like)...
So....winning makes you great,,,,,nothing else....
You could be an amazing player......but until your team is great(or you make it great)....you aint great(by most standards)....
So....winning makes you great,,,,,nothing else....
Uhmm no.. Teams go as they're QB goes.. take away Manning,Brady,Rodgers and even Roethlisberger.. none of those teams would ever sniff the playoffs...
I pretty clearly said "or you make it great".....bottom line, all the great QB's you listed won something....which is my point...
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login