Skip to content

Rumor: Browns interested in trading up for Mariota

The Browns Board
236 53 10.1k
  • @tiamat63 said:

    You said a lot, yet still didn't answer my question.

    Yes, I did. I said i have no idea if Mariotta is the guy. I don't know if we start beating those teams if we draft him.

    I'm not a scout. I'm a fan.

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    way to serve up that softball....

    thank_you_captain_obvious_by_f0x_b0y_1.j

  • @tiamat63 said:

    You said a lot, yet still didn't answer my question.

    Yes, I did. I said i have no idea if Mariotta is the guy. I don't know if we start beating those teams if we draft him.

    I'm not a scout. I'm a fan.

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    Yes, I did. I said i have no idea if Mariotta is the guy. I don't know if we start beating those teams if we draft him.

    I'm not a scout. I'm a fan.

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    What if they dont see anyone who they think is "the man"......?....let it go for a year?.....just asking

    because I agree they should take a swing......unfortunately they'll get lambasted for it though.....(not my problem, I get it)(just a point for the bitchers, haters and whiners to think about)...

    Took a swing at Weeden, Manziel and McCoy(for example).....they probably weren't 100% sold on any of them, but had to at least try, right?......

    Of course, now they are dumb asses for doing so.....

    So......"for the FO haters"(not you Z)......do we pick one we "hope" can make it or do we wait till we are 100% sure about a player and also happen to have the pick to get him(fyi - that might be 30-40 years, so I hope you can wait)......and if we do take a chance, then are we dumb asses who should be fired if it doesn't pan out?......

  • Zombo said:

    Yes, I did. I said i have no idea if Mariotta is the guy. I don't know if we start beating those teams if we draft him.

    I'm not a scout. I'm a fan.

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    What if they dont see anyone who they think is "the man"......?....let it go for a year?.....just asking

    because I agree they should take a swing......unfortunately they'll get lambasted for it though.....(not my problem, I get it)(just a point for the bitchers, haters and whiners to think about)...

    Took a swing at Weeden, Manziel and McCoy(for example).....they probably weren't 100% sold on any of them, but had to at least try, right?......

    Of course, now they are dumb asses for doing so.....

    So......"for the FO haters"(not you Z)......do we pick one we "hope" can make it or do we wait till we are 100% sure about a player and also happen to have the pick to get him(fyi - that might be 30-40 years, so I hope you can wait)......and if we do take a chance, then are we dumb asses who should be fired if it doesn't pan out?......

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    What if they dont see anyone who they think is "the man"......?....let it go for a year?.....just asking

    because I agree they should take a swing......unfortunately they'll get lambasted for it though.....(not my problem, I get it)(just a point for the bitchers, haters and whiners to think about)...

    Took a swing at Weeden, Manziel and McCoy(for example).....they probably weren't 100% sold on any of them, but had to at least try, right?......

    Of course, now they are dumb asses for doing so.....

    So......"for the FO haters"(not you Z)......do we pick one we "hope" can make it or do we wait till we are 100% sure about a player and also happen to have the pick to get him(fyi - that might be 30-40 years, so I hope you can wait)......and if we do take a chance, then are we dumb asses who should be fired if it doesn't pan out?......

    If they don't see anyone that they think can be "the man" I'd re-sign Hoyer or a similar vet, and I'd probably still throw a draft pick at a QB in the mid-rounds to come in and challenge for the backup role.

    I don't think much of Shaw as an NFL prospect, and I think Manziel has to be challenged every step of the way, and if he slips again, we should have an answer in place.

    Zombo

  • Zombo said:

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    way to serve up that softball....

    thank_you_captain_obvious_by_f0x_b0y_1.j

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    @miktoxic said:

    way to serve up that softball....

    thank_you_captain_obvious_by_f0x_b0y_1.j

    Yes, I realize I am sounding like this:

    But the folks that don't seem to see QB as a major need are stunning me, I am trying to make it as basic as I can so I can understand whether they just don't like Marriota in particular, or if they just think we shouldn't spend resources on QB in general.

    Zombo

  • KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by

    Love these grasping at straws futility posts

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by miktoxic

    i think most realize that QB IS the most important move to be made in the offseason. where the opinions differ is by which means the browns obtain theirs.

    resign hoyer, sign a vet, trade for a starter, move up in the draft (costing us precious draft picks) and pick another rookie etc. etc.

    no one on the roster now could lead this team on a 16 game campaign in a competent manner IMO. foles would be great if we didn't have to give up much to get him. i really think they'll try and resign hoyer and if that doesn't work go after some other perennial backup/journeyman type guy to get us through another season.

    it really depends on what the FO/coaching staff's plans are on how to continue to build what they started last year and either resign a bunch of guys or let them go and draft their replacements. the browns were very competitive with the team they fielded before the injury to mack, even though other teams just ran the ball down our throats. that's why most fans feel the need to draft DL and ILB as well as backup C and OL as priorities.

    but who knows what farmer has up his sleeves. for all i know they move up to take white and draft hundley in the 2nd.

    we all know that haslam says they won't make huge deals in FA and want to build through the draft.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve

    My opinion is that we live in a hero worship culture. If a team is very good in other aspects they will compete. Then add an above average quarterback and they will flourish. We take our eye off the ball when we assume that one guy is going to turn the world around. We saw that last season. The team was good enough to compete with a guy like BH at the helm. But then one chink in the armor and it all falls apart. If we don't have a plan B, no running game and we don't have a run defense it will make any third or fourth or even first round quarterback look like crap.

    A great quarterback can make a good team great but he can't make a bad team good.

    Trading 2 first round picks for Marcus Mariota, that nobody in the world seems to think is the next Joe Montana, means not taking two position players who, according to the Gippers list, who have a good shot at being outstanding players.

    That hurt the team now and in the future and jeopardizes Maiotas chances for success.

    And greatly increases the odds of another major house cleaning.

    WSS

  • @miktoxic said:

    way to serve up that softball....

    thank_you_captain_obvious_by_f0x_b0y_1.j

    Yes, I realize I am sounding like this:

    But the folks that don't seem to see QB as a major need are stunning me, I am trying to make it as basic as I can so I can understand whether they just don't like Marriota in particular, or if they just think we shouldn't spend resources on QB in general.

    Zombo

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by

    Zombo said:

    But the folks that don't seem to see QB as a major need are stunning me, I am trying to make it as basic as I can so I can understand whether they just don't like Marriota in particular, or if they just think we shouldn't spend resources on QB in general.

    I think we ALL see QB as a major need and agree we should keep looking and trying them till one sticks......

    The real variance is how much we think the Browns should give up to try one......

    And, this year, I dont see one that is worth so much we should forgo our other needs to get him. Why stop the development of a good team just to fill one position(albiet it an important one), when the candidates dont look very good.....

    So, my view is that a lot of us want to pick a QB, or sign a QB, but we sure as hell dont want to spent 2 first rounders(or, god forbid more) for one that has all kinds of questions.....thats all....

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969

    In terms of the QB situation I suspect that will be answered well before the draft through FA. To jump and sell the farm for one of those two is a huge risk. Build that line with depth in front of Hoyer and he will at least get us some winning seasons going. If not him then take a chance on someone else in FA or eat it this year and take the best QB next year. I still have not given up on JM. Remember he also played with Mack on the sideline and got no help from the D that game. He has taken the one step I felt was absolutely crucial to having any chance to be the NFL QB he wants to be. I'd give him a season to prove it is working (not necessarily as starter-just showing he is learning and playing well in clean up time and practice while staying sober) . If not then go for the highest guy next year who would then have a great team built around him.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    PS we were a backup center, a defensive lineman and maybe a kicker away from being a lot better than we wound up in 2014.

    WSS

  • PS we were a backup center, a defensive lineman and maybe a kicker away from being a lot better than we wound up in 2014.

    WSS

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    PS we were a backup center, a defensive lineman and maybe a kicker away from being a lot better than we wound up in 2014.

    WSS

    you are correct sir.

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by

    Side question: Mariota is working out with Winston now. Does that mean O'Connell is doing work with WInston as well?

  • Side question: Mariota is working out with Winston now. Does that mean O'Connell is doing work with WInston as well?

    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Side question: Mariota is working out with Winston now. Does that mean O'Connell is doing work with WInston as well?

    Nope, it just means Irish people and Polynesians love crab legs too.

    WSS

  • Zombo said:

    We gotta get one.

    Brady

    Wilson

    Rodgers

    Luck

    Manning

    Romo

    Flacco

    Cam

    Those were the Quarterbacks of the last eight teams standing last year.

    We have Manziel and Shaw.

    C'mon man.

    If you don't get the Qb right, everything else goes to waste.

    Zombo

    Don't get me wrong. I am not saying we head in to the season with just JF and Shaw. All I am saying is it would be foolish to simply kick JF to the curb without one more good look.

    It makes no sense.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @ballpeen said:

    Don't get me wrong. I am not saying we head in to the season with just JF and Shaw. All I am saying is it would be foolish to simply kick JF to the curb without one more good look.

    It makes no sense.

    Of course.

    @clevfan4life said:

    everything Mik just said x100. The two dominant teams in our division built their defensive core first then went out and found a QB. If we fuck about wasting resources on finding a QB we're going to miss this small window where the North teams are restructuring. We need a defense to compete with them. A mean one. We don't have that I don't care if we bring Brady in here he won't get shit done.

    The Redskins sold the ranch on RG II before the team was ready. I'ts turned out horrifically bad.

    Zombo said:

    Yes, I did. I said i have no idea if Mariotta is the guy. I don't know if we start beating those teams if we draft him.

    I'm not a scout. I'm a fan.

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    Problem is- there's no viable option to find "The Guy" this year. Foles is the only one I'm interested in- all the other options won't be worth the asking price. I'd rather stick with Hoyer than give up three first round picks to get either Winston or Mariota.

  • hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @junkyard-dawg said:

    Fucking Suckeye Homers, Braindead, I mean "12 Cauge" ain't come to be #1 overall. Noones blowing a 1st rounder on the Suckeye hero except you fanboys who overrate the fuck out of every fucking QB you ever have.

    I know what I saw- & my qb prognostication is pretty good. Called it on Quinn, Harrington, Weeden, RG III. Hated the Manziel pick. True- I like the Buckeyes- but I'm not married to them. Yeah- Bosa is going to be a first round pick next year too- take it to the bank hatah.

  • @ballpeen said:

    Don't get me wrong. I am not saying we head in to the season with just JF and Shaw. All I am saying is it would be foolish to simply kick JF to the curb without one more good look.

    It makes no sense.

    Of course.

    @clevfan4life said:

    everything Mik just said x100. The two dominant teams in our division built their defensive core first then went out and found a QB. If we fuck about wasting resources on finding a QB we're going to miss this small window where the North teams are restructuring. We need a defense to compete with them. A mean one. We don't have that I don't care if we bring Brady in here he won't get shit done.

    The Redskins sold the ranch on RG II before the team was ready. I'ts turned out horrifically bad.

    Zombo said:

    Yes, I did. I said i have no idea if Mariotta is the guy. I don't know if we start beating those teams if we draft him.

    I'm not a scout. I'm a fan.

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    Problem is- there's no viable option to find "The Guy" this year. Foles is the only one I'm interested in- all the other options won't be worth the asking price. I'd rather stick with Hoyer than give up three first round picks to get either Winston or Mariota.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by

    @hoorta said:

    Of course.

    The Redskins sold the ranch on RG II before the team was ready. I'ts turned out horrifically bad.

    Problem is- there's no viable option to find "The Guy" this year. Foles is the only one I'm interested in- all the other options won't be worth the asking price. I'd rather stick with Hoyer than give up three first round picks to get either Winston or Mariota.

    Well, if you look at the eight guys I listed, Wilson was a third rounder, Brady a 6th and Romo a udfa ... I didn't say we had to trade up for a first round QB, I said we had to keep looking for one. Just gotta keep trying. If it is re-signing Hoyer and drafting another guy in th emid-rounds, I'm ok with that. Even when you have a franchise QB you keep looking ... Brady was drafted when Bledsoe was considered elite and the Pats have continued to draft the likes of Cassell, Mallet and Garopolo during Brady's prime. Good QBs are coming around alomost every year, but you aren't going to find one if you ain't looking. teams with ten draft picks tons of cap space and three starts on their roster need to be looking.

    Zombo

  • My opinion is that we live in a hero worship culture. If a team is very good in other aspects they will compete. Then add an above average quarterback and they will flourish. We take our eye off the ball when we assume that one guy is going to turn the world around. We saw that last season. The team was good enough to compete with a guy like BH at the helm. But then one chink in the armor and it all falls apart. If we don't have a plan B, no running game and we don't have a run defense it will make any third or fourth or even first round quarterback look like crap.

    A great quarterback can make a good team great but he can't make a bad team good.

    Trading 2 first round picks for Marcus Mariota, that nobody in the world seems to think is the next Joe Montana, means not taking two position players who, according to the Gippers list, who have a good shot at being outstanding players.

    That hurt the team now and in the future and jeopardizes Maiotas chances for success.

    And greatly increases the odds of another major house cleaning.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @westside-steve said:

    My opinion is that we live in a hero worship culture. If a team is very good in other aspects they will compete. Then add an above average quarterback and they will flourish. We take our eye off the ball when we assume that one guy is going to turn the world around. We saw that last season. The team was good enough to compete with a guy like BH at the helm. But then one chink in the armor and it all falls apart. If we don't have a plan B, no running game and we don't have a run defense it will make any third or fourth or even first round quarterback look like crap.

    A great quarterback can make a good team great but he can't make a bad team good.

    Trading 2 first round picks for Marcus Mariota, that nobody in the world seems to think is the next Joe Montana, means not taking two position players who, according to the Gippers list, who have a good shot at being outstanding players.

    That hurt the team now and in the future and jeopardizes Maiotas chances for success.

    And greatly increases the odds of another major house cleaning.

    WSS

    We need a Kevin Bacon.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by

    @junkyard-dawg said:

    Fucking Suckeye Homers, Braindead, I mean "12 Cauge" ain't come to be #1 overall. Noones blowing a 1st rounder on the Suckeye hero except you fanboys who overrate the fuck out of every fucking QB you ever have.

    Why is this dingleberry still clinging on to the ass of the browns board?

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Side question: Mariota is working out with Winston now. Does that mean O'Connell is doing work with WInston as well?

    Nope, it just means Irish people and Polynesians love crab legs too.

    WSS

    KvoetheK Kvoethe wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    Nope, it just means Irish people and Polynesians love crab legs too.

    WSS

    WINNAH!!!!!!

  • Zombo said:

    Yes, I did. I said i have no idea if Mariotta is the guy. I don't know if we start beating those teams if we draft him.

    I'm not a scout. I'm a fan.

    I'm telling you this team needs to do what it can to secure a QB this offseason. You keep bringing this back to Mariotta ... I keep trying to tell you that I don't know who the guy is, but whoever the Browns think they would like to target, whether it is through the draft, trade or free agency, they should go after without hesitation and not stand pat just because they drafted a QB in the first round last year. they can't count on him for anything.

    If the Browns think Mariotta is a stud, then go for him. If they want Nick Foles and think they can get him in a trade, go for it. If they want to keep Hoyer and may like a QB in the later rounds, then do that ... but just do something because we need a goddamn QB, it's almost embarrassing that fan of the Cleveland Browns doesn't recognize that.

    Zombo

    What if they dont see anyone who they think is "the man"......?....let it go for a year?.....just asking

    because I agree they should take a swing......unfortunately they'll get lambasted for it though.....(not my problem, I get it)(just a point for the bitchers, haters and whiners to think about)...

    Took a swing at Weeden, Manziel and McCoy(for example).....they probably weren't 100% sold on any of them, but had to at least try, right?......

    Of course, now they are dumb asses for doing so.....

    So......"for the FO haters"(not you Z)......do we pick one we "hope" can make it or do we wait till we are 100% sure about a player and also happen to have the pick to get him(fyi - that might be 30-40 years, so I hope you can wait)......and if we do take a chance, then are we dumb asses who should be fired if it doesn't pan out?......

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    @mudfly said:

    What if they dont see anyone who they think is "the man"......?....let it go for a year?.....just asking

    because I agree they should take a swing......unfortunately they'll get lambasted for it though.....(not my problem, I get it)(just a point for the bitchers, haters and whiners to think about)...

    Took a swing at Weeden, Manziel and McCoy(for example).....they probably weren't 100% sold on any of them, but had to at least try, right?......

    Of course, now they are dumb asses for doing so.....

    So......"for the FO haters"(not you Z)......do we pick one we "hope" can make it or do we wait till we are 100% sure about a player and also happen to have the pick to get him(fyi - that might be 30-40 years, so I hope you can wait)......and if we do take a chance, then are we dumb asses who should be fired if it doesn't pan out?......

    Was McCoy really a swing? He was the winningest college quarterback and he was taken in the 3rd round. I don't think that was a swing and a miss as much as it was a value pick.

    Actually, the only "mortgage it all, swing and a miss" quarterback pick I can really recall Cleveland making was Tim Couch.

    The Browns have take exactly one quarterback with their first pick in the draft in the last 44 years - Tim Couch.

    Quinn, Weeden, Manziel...value picks. Bad picks? Sure. But value-based nonetheless. The Browns haven't mortgaged their future and moved up to take the top rated QB once in the modern era.

    For those of you saying we've been burnt before...learn the difference between moving up to #22 to take a questionable pick and moving up to #1 to take the top-ranked guy.

    I'm not saying this necessarily applies to this situation, but the sheer lack of knowledge by some of these people is frustrating.

    I'm also not referring to you, Mud...just using this reply as a platform to voice my displeasure over some of these fucking clueless idiots who come out of the woodwork and start blasting Zombo just because they heard Skip Bayless compare Manziel to Mariota or some stupid shit like that.

    The Browns have tried to shop for value and gotten fucked numerous times. Stop being pussies and trying to backdoor your way into the playoffs. Get a quarterback who can compete. You don't plan for a Wilson or a Brady.