Dysfunction
-
So, like I have asked others albeit unsuccessfully, give me a list of five bad Johnny stories that you know are factual.
5 (not dozens, not hundreds not thousands)
WSS
Sorry bud, I didn't dog Johnny football. Are you asking me to give you 5 examples of how the media broke stories on Johnny that were true? Or maybe stories that were supplied by sources that were true? If you clarify for me, I will gladly try i guess. Have to work tomorrow though, so likely won't get my response to late, but will try after you clarify. But I wasn't dogging Johnny. Was just pointing out how someone blindly claimed all journalists are liars, and they never have sources for their articles.
Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.cbbacker said:
Sorry bud, I didn't dog Johnny football. Are you asking me to give you 5 examples of how the media broke stories on Johnny that were true? Or maybe stories that were supplied by sources that were true? If you clarify for me, I will gladly try i guess. Have to work tomorrow though, so likely won't get my response to late, but will try after you clarify. But I wasn't dogging Johnny. Was just pointing out how someone blindly claimed all journalists are liars, and they never have sources for their articles.
It's the natural by product when you have a ravenous fanbase and no real news to report. You have to take rumors, speculation and innuendo and try to build news stories.
WSS
-
Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.cbbacker said:
Sorry bud, I didn't dog Johnny football. Are you asking me to give you 5 examples of how the media broke stories on Johnny that were true? Or maybe stories that were supplied by sources that were true? If you clarify for me, I will gladly try i guess. Have to work tomorrow though, so likely won't get my response to late, but will try after you clarify. But I wasn't dogging Johnny. Was just pointing out how someone blindly claimed all journalists are liars, and they never have sources for their articles.
It's the natural by product when you have a ravenous fanbase and no real news to report. You have to take rumors, speculation and innuendo and try to build news stories.
WSS
Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.
WSS
I am not a JM hater but I just don't believe his college skills translate well into the NFL. I agree about taking with a grain of salt anonymous sources. I prefer to hear from those who will go on the record to speak out.
-
Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.
WSS
I am not a JM hater but I just don't believe his college skills translate well into the NFL. I agree about taking with a grain of salt anonymous sources. I prefer to hear from those who will go on the record to speak out.
Well you could be right. There are probably more than 100 successful college quarterbacks (among the cream of the crop from high school) of which a very few will be drafted or signed by a professional team. And a tiny fraction of those will go on to be long term starters let alone championve So the smart money on any quarterback is the under.I am not a JM hater but I just don't believe his college skills translate well into the NFL. I agree about taking with a grain of salt anonymous sources. I prefer to hear from those who will go on the record to speak out.
WSS
-
cdbackerfloatie is a turd, and doesn't know how to respectfully be a part of a forum, that's all.
-
to my previous post there were 14 quarterbacks drafted in 2014 and that doesn't count UFA.
WSS
-
Yep I have been part of a heartbroken fanbase just as much as anyone no less. I have never felt as down about my football team as i do now. Not because what the media is saying, but more of what ive seen with my own two eyes.
The worst part for me as a Browns fan were the years in the 90's when we didn't have a team. Some Browns fans I knew kind of went with the Packers in those years. I tried pulling for the Raiders but it never worked.
The worst part for me as a Browns fan were the years in the 90's when we didn't have a team. Some Browns fans I knew kind of went with the Packers in those years. I tried pulling for the Raiders but it never worked.
It helped a little that I had a spare team from my adopted hometown in my back pocket...
Of course that team had to be the Houston Oilers...
"If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all..."
-
The worst part for me as a Browns fan were the years in the 90's when we didn't have a team. Some Browns fans I knew kind of went with the Packers in those years. I tried pulling for the Raiders but it never worked.
It helped a little that I had a spare team from my adopted hometown in my back pocket...
Of course that team had to be the Houston Oilers...
"If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all..."
It helped a little that I had a spare team from my adopted hometown in my back pocket...
Of course that team had to be the Houston Oiloers...
"If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all..."
When they were the Tennessee Oilers for a few years I thought was kind of odd. An oil rig logo fit Texas but no so much Tennessee. Seemed like they would have changed the team name right from the start.
-
If you take out everything that "sources say"...all you Have is that Shanahan quit, Gordon is suspended and Manziel is in rehab.
This is all speculative shock journalistic garbage. Here's a good rule of thumb: "sources say" means absolutely nothing.
Multiple team sources have told me that Johnny threw a 90 yard TD pass to Brian Hoyer yesterday at rehab and that Jimmy Haslam is a gay robot.
Why do you even post? That has to be the dumbest thing ever spoken in what 10,000 years of spoken language. Yep your right, the thousands of stories that use "sources say" that turn out 100% right are clearly wrong because you said so. Good one. Wow some real tools on this bored. Maybe they are sources because they don't want to be named? If a journalist is going to throw his "sources" under the bus each time they say something, they will stop saying stuff. What the hell is wrong with you?
cbbacker said:
Why do you even post? That has to be the dumbest thing ever spoken in what 10,000 years of spoken language. Yep your right, the thousands of stories that use "sources say" that turn out 100% right are clearly wrong because you said so. Good one. Wow some real tools on this bored. Maybe they are sources because they don't want to be named? If a journalist is going to throw his "sources" under the bus each time they say something, they will stop saying stuff. What the hell is wrong with you?
It's easy to run around spouting generalities... isn't it? Trouble is, it gets you nowhere.
Why not address the specific assertion that LaCanfona is a troll reporter when it comes to the Browns? Too hard?
No facts?
More like you cannot. And since his article fits your preconceived notions, then why bother? Which is fine... it's done a lot here. Just don't get indignant, if you're questioned... or, worse yet, disagreed with...
-
It helped a little that I had a spare team from my adopted hometown in my back pocket...
Of course that team had to be the Houston Oiloers...
"If it weren't for bad luck
I'd have no luck at all..."
When they were the Tennessee Oilers for a few years I thought was kind of odd. An oil rig logo fit Texas but no so much Tennessee. Seemed like they would have changed the team name right from the start.
When they were the Tennessee Oilers for a few years I thought was kind of odd. An oil rig logo fit Texas but no so much Tennessee. Seemed like they would have changed the team name right from the start.
Wasn't Jed Clampett from Tennessee?
-
i really can't wait to meet some of the people here at a tailgate or maybe even if given the right opportunity in some other way. 98% of the people on here are cool, have their own style and can take a joke and listen and give opinions.
and then there are the people i'd love to meet at a tailgate or somehow someway some other way by happenstance, but there would be no handshakes. as a matter of fact i wouldn't let them 100yards close to the people i care about. they'd be swept under a street cleaner before the first cork got pulled.
cbbacker: you don't know me. you don't know anyone on here i'm guessing. yet you come in and label people liars for what reason and with what facts? you need to get a grip and fast before your life spins downward like the turd i named cbbacker this morning as it disappeared towards the equator.
i think that's where the douchebags end up when getting street cleaned.
-
Mik I wouldn't suppose that the 1 or 2 percent of actual assholes plan on coming to any tailgates or any Browns games.
I wouldn't yes that they're even going to watch a game on television.
WSS
-
The regulars on this board have to understand reality.
The Browns DID move to Baltimore. That is the fact.
The current Browns are, and have been for a long time, dysfunctional. They are not a winning organization. They are considered the bottom of the league.
We are not the quality of the Bengals, Ravens or Steelers.
All this can change, but today the Browns are losers, and unsuccessful.
When we beat the Bengals and the Steelers the smack talk was incredible, but as usual the better organizations won in the end.
We can complain. say we are great, say people are lying, claim to be better than the other teams in our division, declare we make the right draft moves, claim to be better than our record, say the Browns never moved, say the other teams suck.... but in the end, there is reality. FACE IT.
The Soldier said:
The regulars on this board have to understand reality.
The Browns DID move to Baltimore. That is the fact.
I will wager you $`1000.00 that you are officially wrong. Certain people moved and a few assets were transferred to Baltimore...Modell/Byrne...and that is it. The franchise stayed.
The current Browns are, and have been for a long time, dysfunctional. They are not a winning organization. They are considered the bottom of the league.
Perhaps....but that is a whole different story
We are not the quality of the Bengals, Ravens or Steelers.
Yet, they beat both the Bengals and Steelers handily....and played two close games vs. Ravens.
They can play with those teams.
All this can change, but today the Browns are losers, and unsuccessful.
When we beat the Bengals and the Steelers the smack talk was incredible, but as usual the better organizations won in the end.
We can complain. say we are great, say people are lying, claim to be better than the other teams in our division, declare we make the right draft moves, claim to be better than our record, say the Browns never moved, say the other teams suck.... but in the end, there is reality. FACE IT.
Teams that never moved can go from high to low, from good organization to bad organization. The Steelers were the worst of the worst and for a while became the best of the best. The Browns were the best of the best and became the worst of the worst.
The Bills made 4 consecutive Super Bowls....then went to a point where they have not made a playoff appearance in 16 years (all under essentially the same management)
The Patriots were a shit team for most of their existance. The past 15 years they have been the best team.
Would you have proclaimed the Seattle Seahawks a potential dynasty 10-15 years ago?
Shit changes. Sometimes it changes fast.
-
When they were the Tennessee Oilers for a few years I thought was kind of odd. An oil rig logo fit Texas but no so much Tennessee. Seemed like they would have changed the team name right from the start.
Wasn't Jed Clampett from Tennessee?
-
Arkansas I believe.
I googled it.
The Beverly Hillbillies appear to be Southerners, but consistent information about which part of the South they are from is not given. Granny frequently mentions that she was born and raised around Limestone, Tennessee, near Greensville (sic; actually Greeneville), but the state from which the Clampetts move to California is never revealed. Various, sometimes conflicting, clues can be found in certain episodes. In season 5, episode 17, it is claimed that they come from the town of "Bug Tussle" in an unspecified state.
-
I always figured them for Kentucky....but Arkansas sounds about right too....Granny was my favorite
I always figured them for Kentucky....but Arkansas sounds about right too....Granny was my favorite
Well, I think it was pretty clear that they were from the Ozarks. See this blurb:
he Beverly Hillbillies appear to be Southerners, but consistent information about which part of the South they are from is not given. Granny frequently mentions that she was born and raised around Limestone, Tennessee, near Greensville (sic; actually Greeneville), but the state from which the Clampetts move to California is never revealed. Various, sometimes conflicting, clues can be found in certain episodes. In season 5, episode 17, it is claimed that they come from the town of "Bug Tussle" in an unspecified state.
While there is a town of Bugtussle in Oklahoma, this does not appear to be consistent with geographic clues in other episodes. Oklahoma is mostly plains, but the series calls Jed a mountaineer. Other episodes often refer to nearby towns, such as Joplin, Branson, Springfield, Tulsa, Silver Dollar City, all in or near southwest Missouri. In the eighth episode of season 8, "Manhattan Hillbillies," Granny tells the police officer in Central Park that her family comes from Taney County, and there is a Taney County in southwest Missouri. Early episodes also contain several references to Eureka Springs, which is in northwest Arkansas. All these communities (except Tulsa) are in relatively close proximity in the Ozark Mountains of the South Central United States. The characters' accents, their initial poverty, and the existence of oil are also consistent with an origin elsewhere in the Upland South, such as Appalachia. The show's creator and producer, Paul Henning, is from Independence, Missouri, and donated 1,534 acres (621 ha) to the Ruth and Paul Henning Conservation Area near Branson.[4]
The company that paid him for the oil was the OK Oil Company. OK could be for Oklahoma. FYI, the Ozarks do extend into eastern Oklahoma. He could be a mountaineer and be from OK.
Plus, I think Jethro was based on L'il Abner....which was Arkansas/Ozark based.
-
Bugtussel.
WSS
-
Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.cbbacker said:
Sorry bud, I didn't dog Johnny football. Are you asking me to give you 5 examples of how the media broke stories on Johnny that were true? Or maybe stories that were supplied by sources that were true? If you clarify for me, I will gladly try i guess. Have to work tomorrow though, so likely won't get my response to late, but will try after you clarify. But I wasn't dogging Johnny. Was just pointing out how someone blindly claimed all journalists are liars, and they never have sources for their articles.
It's the natural by product when you have a ravenous fanbase and no real news to report. You have to take rumors, speculation and innuendo and try to build news stories.
WSS
Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.
It's the natural by product when you have a ravenous fanbase and no real news to report. You have to take rumors, speculation and innuendo and try to build news stories.
WSS
Thank you WSS, someone that actually wants to talk football. I have no issue with you misunderstanding the posts, I had a lot, and seeing peoples response I am sure it was easy to think I was a Johnny hater. No biggie. As for reporters your right, obviously reporters don't always have accurate info, I was just pointing out how some guy generalized all journalists as liars. I tend to believe La Canfora and his "sources" because most of this information isn't new. There were reports back in May that Haslam forced them to take Johnny. There have been reports all year of how Gilbert and Manziel were more interested in living it up, then playing. Now the shanahan thing was new to me at least, but he did infact leave while being under contract, so I have no reason to doubt why he said he left.
Like i said, I do take this report with a grain of salt, but when you factor in the last 3 years, and the issues our front office has had, the revolving door, the quick firings. The fact that Farmer is an ex player, and trying to take more responsibility in the coaching to me is feasible. Not saying it's true, just feasible. I just don't see why a respected journalist would lie about stuff like that. I bet people jump at the chance to talk, while they may be disgruntled, i am thinking that might not mean they would lie, they just have no loyalty?
Was nice talking football though, thx WSS
-
Sorry if I misjudged you. The request to list five egregious actions is for the Johnny haters. As to reporters I don't think they are necessarily liars but the great portion of stories we hear is speculation from sources we know nothing about. It could be anybody. Maybe a disgruntled player or employee or the guy that delivers food to Berea. They may have some credibility but we've heard all sorts of stories as the seasons going on and then heard the complete opposite. There are people in the lowest levels of the organization that probably feel empowered by speaking to a reporter. I'm just recommending the proverbial grain of salt.
It's the natural by product when you have a ravenous fanbase and no real news to report. You have to take rumors, speculation and innuendo and try to build news stories.
WSS
Thank you WSS, someone that actually wants to talk football. I have no issue with you misunderstanding the posts, I had a lot, and seeing peoples response I am sure it was easy to think I was a Johnny hater. No biggie. As for reporters your right, obviously reporters don't always have accurate info, I was just pointing out how some guy generalized all journalists as liars. I tend to believe La Canfora and his "sources" because most of this information isn't new. There were reports back in May that Haslam forced them to take Johnny. There have been reports all year of how Gilbert and Manziel were more interested in living it up, then playing. Now the shanahan thing was new to me at least, but he did infact leave while being under contract, so I have no reason to doubt why he said he left.
Like i said, I do take this report with a grain of salt, but when you factor in the last 3 years, and the issues our front office has had, the revolving door, the quick firings. The fact that Farmer is an ex player, and trying to take more responsibility in the coaching to me is feasible. Not saying it's true, just feasible. I just don't see why a respected journalist would lie about stuff like that. I bet people jump at the chance to talk, while they may be disgruntled, i am thinking that might not mean they would lie, they just have no loyalty?
Was nice talking football though, thx WSS
cbbacker said:
Thank you WSS, someone that actually wants to talk football. I have no issue with you misunderstanding the posts, I had a lot, and seeing peoples response I am sure it was easy to think I was a Johnny hater. No biggie. As for reporters your right, obviously reporters don't always have accurate info, I was just pointing out how some guy generalized all journalists as liars. I tend to believe La Canfora and his "sources" because most of this information isn't new. There were reports back in May that Haslam forced them to take Johnny. There have been reports all year of how Gilbert and Manziel were more interested in living it up, then playing. Now the shanahan thing was new to me at least, but he did infact leave while being under contract, so I have no reason to doubt why he said he left.
Like i said, I do take this report with a grain of salt, but when you factor in the last 3 years, and the issues our front office has had, the revolving door, the quick firings. The fact that Farmer is an ex player, and trying to take more responsibility in the coaching to me is feasible. Not saying it's true, just feasible. I just don't see why a respected journalist would lie about stuff like that. I bet people jump at the chance to talk, while they may be disgruntled, i am thinking that might not mean they would lie, they just have no loyalty?
Was nice talking football though, thx WSS
Well, I suspect the facts, the truth lie somewhere in the middle. Do I think that LaCanfora has an agenda because he is buddy buddy with Mike Lombardi who was fired by the Browns....yes. Do I think Haslam persuaded Farmer to take JMZ....and persuaded his coach to see what the kid could do? Sure. Do I think that Farmer etc. second guessed some of the coaching/play calling? Sure. I think every single owner/GM in the NFL does that with their coaches, OCs etc. Maybe they don't "text" it the way Farmer did.....but who is not aware of the images of Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft and any number of other owners and GMs being seen on their teams sidelines? The Browns FO communication with their coaching staff I do not believe is at all unique.
Do I think JMZ and Gilbert may have taken the NFL for granted and not given their full time and attention to their jobs? Absolutely.
But like I said before....anyone (and I don't know if you are included in this) who thinks that the asteroid is coming to destroy Planet Cleveland Browns.....needs to just buy a good umbrella. There are perhaps some showers, maybe even a thunderstorm and some hail falling......but these are not extinction events.....so quit acting like they are.
This team has as much overall talent as anyone else in this division. They just need to package it properly and get it all headed in sync in the right direction.
-
I always figured them for Kentucky....but Arkansas sounds about right too....Granny was my favorite
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login