Skip to content

OSU Football with Shady SEC Tactics

College Football Forum
76 9 3.3k
  • @jrb12711 said:

    Just let it fuckin go dude. It's clear you're just trying to grasp at straws to bash Ohio State for one incident that happened and trying to pile it on. The kid is a 4-star recruit who can I'm sure get a release agreement approved if he wants and go to any school in the country if it matters to him that much. Who the hell knows if Urban or anyone even had an idea he was leaving?

    Shit like this happens all the time in the NCAA, I'd imagine several hundred if not thousands of times a year. I've clearly defended what you're saying is "shady" with common sense but you won't respond to that.

    No, I'm trying to shed light on thus shady act. I realize OSU isn't the only school to do it, but every school surely doesn't. Also, other schools doing it is no excuse either. "Yeah we're unethical, but so is everyone else!" hardly sounds like a defense.

    You think no one had an idea he was leaving? He officially accepted a job the day after signing day. You think he never told his boss? There are unconfirmed reports a beat writer in Cbus knew but sat on the info. I'm guessing they knew, but never told Weber

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @mld-woody said:

    No, I'm trying to shed light on thus shady act. I realize OSU isn't the only school to do it, but every school surely doesn't. Also, other schools doing it is no excuse either. "Yeah we're unethical, but so is everyone else!" hardly sounds like a defense.

    You think no one had an idea he was leaving? He officially accepted a job the day after signing day. You think he never told his boss? There are unconfirmed reports a beat writer in Cbus knew but sat on the info. I'm guessing they knew, but never told Weber

    I've said twice it's not unethical and the report I linked and Erie Dawg reiterated plainly (and simply) writes it's stupid to think other wise. Are you choosing just not to read that?

    Yes, I could very easily believe no one knew. If you're looking for another job and you tell your current boss that's really God damn stupid. More power to you if you do but the real world is gonna be a kick in the ass.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    I think putting in medical hardship papers for Devin Gardner was shady of michigan also. According to gardner the extended eligibility was to "show case his talents" LOL! Lets face facts here he isnt a QB, and who was he trying to impress? But Michigan knew he was better than what they had waiting in the wings. (who must of been a real gem if he couldnt beat out Gardner) so they bought themselves some time by using medical hardship.

    So woodie I take it you agree with this since you glossed it over?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @erie-dawg said:

    So woodie I take it you agree with this since you glossed it over?

    I missed this the first time. My bad.

    You're misunderstanding the difference between a Medical Redshirt and a Medical Hardship. A Medical Redshirt is what Gardner got. This is given when a player is injured and unable to play the majority of a season. It allows them to gain that year of eligibility back.

    A medical hardship is what Saban is famous for abusing. These are supposed to be used when a player has a career ending injury. It releases a player from the program so it doesn't count against the scholarship count, and makes it so the player can't play D1 anywhere else.

    They are two fundamentally different things.

  • Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #34

    But it benifited UM by doing so because we both know Gardner isn't a pro prospect on anyone's radar. And by simply doing so it extended his eligibility.

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Woody Hayes > MLD Woody the FAG

  • And you're still an idiot. Congratulations.

    I'm posting quotes from Weber's HS coach at Cass Tech. These negative feelings towards OSU and Meyer aren't isolated to Michigan fans right now.

    Defend your oversigning. Try to defend the seemingly excessive medical hardships. But good luck trying to defend straight up lying to a recruit.

    You want to act like it is jealousy, that's hilarious. I'm pointing this out because it is shady and scummy. No school should do it.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @mld-woody said:

    I'm posting quotes from Weber's HS coach at Cass Tech. These negative feelings towards OSU and Meyer aren't isolated to Michigan fans right now.

    Defend your oversigning. Try to defend the seemingly excessive medical hardships. But good luck trying to defend straight up lying to a recruit.

    1.I think these feelings are a totally relegated to a small area in michigan, I read a lot of sports and I'm not seeing any "this is an outrage" type articles out there from the major outlets.

    2. The article that Jrb posted again pointed out things that you want to overlook and basicaly points out there is not really anything to defend. Excessive medical hardships? What exact number is excessive?

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Michigan State is far superior in terms of football program and hot bangable chicks.

    All the Chinese and weirdos probably go to UM

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #38

    Thought of the day - What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive! - Sir Walter Scott

    — Coach Harbaugh (@CoachJim4UM) February 7, 2015

    Coach Harbaugh@jimharbaugh
    Thought of the day - What a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive! - Sir Walter Scott
  • @mld-woody said:

    I'm posting quotes from Weber's HS coach at Cass Tech. These negative feelings towards OSU and Meyer aren't isolated to Michigan fans right now.

    Defend your oversigning. Try to defend the seemingly excessive medical hardships. But good luck trying to defend straight up lying to a recruit.

    1.I think these feelings are a totally relegated to a small area in michigan, I read a lot of sports and I'm not seeing any "this is an outrage" type articles out there from the major outlets.

    2. The article that Jrb posted again pointed out things that you want to overlook and basicaly points out there is not really anything to defend. Excessive medical hardships? What exact number is excessive?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @erie-dawg said:

    2. The article that Jrb posted again pointed out things that you want to overlook and basicaly points out there is not really anything to defend. Excessive medical hardships? What exact number is excessive?

    2. There is no set number really. In Saban's case, it was obvious. He had 12 over a 4 year period. The SEC average over that time was less than 2. Tressel only had like 4 his entire OSU career. And yes, these recent ones by Meyer may be legitimate. But, they look shady, there is no denying that. You oversign, and then 3 guys leave, two of which played just weeks ago. It looks like 1 is very legitimate, 1 is probably ok, and 1 is iffy at best.

  • But it benifited UM by doing so because we both know Gardner isn't a pro prospect on anyone's radar. And by simply doing so it extended his eligibility.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @erie-dawg said:

    But it benifited UM by doing so because we both know Gardner isn't a pro prospect on anyone's radar. And by simply doing so it extended his eligibility.

    Gardner got hurt his Fr or So year I believe, he wasn't starting yet. Also, he came in as a very highly rated recruit, had a great start, and then we broke him with constant coaching changes, a position changes, and physical abuse. At one point, he was definitely still a prospective pro QB.

    You don't seem to understand the difference between a Medical Hardship and a Medical Redshirt. A Medical Hardship only really benefits to team. It frees up a roster spot and causes the player to not be able to play D1 football again. A Medical Redshirt benefits the team and the player. It allows the player to get another year of eligibility back that he lost while injured. It doesn't hurt the player in any way.

    Get it now?

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Tanner, Bogard and Reeves - the latter two have apparently suffered setbacks in rehabbing multiple ACL tears. I was very excited about Bogard especially.

    Plus you have the rumored pending transfer of Brionte' Dunn and another (sources) unnamed player(s) for lack of PT, then the recruiting numbers fall in line.

    So my direct response to Woody: if you see shit like this happening EVERY year - Where we place multiple kids with grey-shirts, medical hardship and excessively sign 30+ kids, and flat out not renew a scholarship,basically all the shit Saban does, then I'll be concerned. AFAIK this is the first year in a long while something of this nature has occurred with this football team.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    2. The article that Jrb posted again pointed out things that you want to overlook and basicaly points out there is not really anything to defend. Excessive medical hardships? What exact number is excessive?

    2. There is no set number really. In Saban's case, it was obvious. He had 12 over a 4 year period. The SEC average over that time was less than 2. Tressel only had like 4 his entire OSU career. And yes, these recent ones by Meyer may be legitimate. But, they look shady, there is no denying that. You oversign, and then 3 guys leave, two of which played just weeks ago. It looks like 1 is very legitimate, 1 is probably ok, and 1 is iffy at best.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @mld-woody said:

    2. There is no set number really. In Saban's case, it was obvious. He had 12 over a 4 year period. The SEC average over that time was less than 2. Tressel only had like 4 his entire OSU career. And yes, these recent ones by Meyer may be legitimate. But, they look shady, there is no denying that. You oversign, and then 3 guys leave, two of which played just weeks ago. It looks like 1 is very legitimate, 1 is probably ok, and 1 is iffy at best.

    So it wasn't excessive, just using Word play to blow it out of proportion.
  • @erie-dawg said:

    But it benifited UM by doing so because we both know Gardner isn't a pro prospect on anyone's radar. And by simply doing so it extended his eligibility.

    Gardner got hurt his Fr or So year I believe, he wasn't starting yet. Also, he came in as a very highly rated recruit, had a great start, and then we broke him with constant coaching changes, a position changes, and physical abuse. At one point, he was definitely still a prospective pro QB.

    You don't seem to understand the difference between a Medical Hardship and a Medical Redshirt. A Medical Hardship only really benefits to team. It frees up a roster spot and causes the player to not be able to play D1 football again. A Medical Redshirt benefits the team and the player. It allows the player to get another year of eligibility back that he lost while injured. It doesn't hurt the player in any way.

    Get it now?

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @mld-woody said:

    Gardner got hurt his Fr or So year I believe, he wasn't starting yet. Also, he came in as a very highly rated recruit, had a great start, and then we broke him with constant coaching changes, a position changes, and physical abuse. At one point, he was definitely still a prospective pro QB.

    You don't seem to understand the difference between a Medical Hardship and a Medical Redshirt. A Medical Hardship only really benefits to team. It frees up a roster spot and causes the player to not be able to play D1 football again. A Medical Redshirt benefits the team and the player. It allows the player to get another year of eligibility back that he lost while injured. It doesn't hurt the player in any way.

    Get it now?

    I got it the first, second, and now. And guess what the outcome is the same as what I've said. The guy was never a hot piece of ass other than a highly touted recruit.

    You won't find anywhere that says he was being sought after by NFL teams. He was a gimmicky qb that didn't live up to his hype. But he was better than the guy riding the pine so Brady hoke tagged him because he didn't recruit anyone better either. It Don't take a genius to figure out why it happened Woody, but then again it did happen.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Gardner got hurt his Fr or So year I believe, he wasn't starting yet. Also, he came in as a very highly rated recruit, had a great start, and then we broke him with constant coaching changes, a position changes, and physical abuse. At one point, he was definitely still a prospective pro QB.

    You don't seem to understand the difference between a Medical Hardship and a Medical Redshirt. A Medical Hardship only really benefits to team. It frees up a roster spot and causes the player to not be able to play D1 football again. A Medical Redshirt benefits the team and the player. It allows the player to get another year of eligibility back that he lost while injured. It doesn't hurt the player in any way.

    Get it now?

    I got it the first, second, and now. And guess what the outcome is the same as what I've said. The guy was never a hot piece of ass other than a highly touted recruit.

    You won't find anywhere that says he was being sought after by NFL teams. He was a gimmicky qb that didn't live up to his hype. But he was better than the guy riding the pine so Brady hoke tagged him because he didn't recruit anyone better either. It Don't take a genius to figure out why it happened Woody, but then again it did happen.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #44

    @erie-dawg said:

    I got it the first, second, and now. And guess what the outcome is the same as what I've said. The guy was never a hot piece of ass other than a highly touted recruit.

    You won't find anywhere that says he was being sought after by NFL teams. He was a gimmicky qb that didn't live up to his hype. But he was better than the guy riding the pine so Brady hoke tagged him because he didn't recruit anyone better either. It Don't take a genius to figure out why it happened Woody, but then again it did happen.

    ummm.... I really think you're having a hard time understanding the difference between a medical redshirt and a medical hardship. I am not sure what you are trying to equate here, as you attempt to bring down Michigan to OSUs level.

    Gardner was hurt for the majority of the season his freshman year. As such, he was granted a medical hardship to gain an extra year of eligibility. This helped the team, and the player.

    A medical hardship is there to help the team free up a scholarship, and as such, can be abused to cut under-performing players.

    Whatever you think about Gardner as a QB, or what other options we had at QB, is irrelevant. This conversation started because you did not understand the difference between a medical redshirt and a medical hardship. Now you just seem to be taking shots at Gardner, like that will somehow prove your point, or at least distract from the fact you were dead wrong to begin with,

  • Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #45

    Nope not wrong I'm just able to understand matters better that's all.

  • @mld-woody said:

    2. There is no set number really. In Saban's case, it was obvious. He had 12 over a 4 year period. The SEC average over that time was less than 2. Tressel only had like 4 his entire OSU career. And yes, these recent ones by Meyer may be legitimate. But, they look shady, there is no denying that. You oversign, and then 3 guys leave, two of which played just weeks ago. It looks like 1 is very legitimate, 1 is probably ok, and 1 is iffy at best.

    So it wasn't excessive, just using Word play to blow it out of proportion.
    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #46

    @erie-dawg said:

    So it wasn't excessive, just using Word play to blow it out of proportion.

    3 in a season can be excessive. Really, if it is ever done in an attempt to free up roster space, and it isn't in the athletes best interest, it is excessive. By oversigning and then doing what Urban did, it gives off the feeling it might be excessive.

    But like I've said, I realizes the coaches know more than we do about which players will be transferring or whatever, and how many spots they really have. But doing it consistently, that is fishy. I believe OSU has signed more players in the last 4 years than any other B1G school. Add that to the medical hardships on some of these guys, and it means OSU will be watched a little closer. Not that anything will happen, the NCAA is completely spineless.

  • Nope not wrong I'm just able to understand matters better that's all.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #47

    @erie-dawg said:

    Nope not wrong I'm just able to understand matters better that's all.

    This whole conversation started with you saying we "put in the medical hardship papers" for Devin Gardner hahaha. How can you "understand matters better" if you don't even understand the difference between a medical redshirt and a medical hardship?

  • Tanner, Bogard and Reeves - the latter two have apparently suffered setbacks in rehabbing multiple ACL tears. I was very excited about Bogard especially.

    Plus you have the rumored pending transfer of Brionte' Dunn and another (sources) unnamed player(s) for lack of PT, then the recruiting numbers fall in line.

    So my direct response to Woody: if you see shit like this happening EVERY year - Where we place multiple kids with grey-shirts, medical hardship and excessively sign 30+ kids, and flat out not renew a scholarship,basically all the shit Saban does, then I'll be concerned. AFAIK this is the first year in a long while something of this nature has occurred with this football team.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #48

    @tiamat63 said:

    Tanner, Bogard and Reeves - the latter two have apparently suffered setbacks in rehabbing multiple ACL tears. I was very excited about Bogard especially.

    Plus you have the rumored pending transfer of Brionte' Dunn and another (sources) unnamed player(s) for lack of PT, then the recruiting numbers fall in line.

    So my direct response to Woody: if you see shit like this happening EVERY year - Where we place multiple kids with grey-shirts, medical hardship and excessively sign 30+ kids, and flat out not renew a scholarship,basically all the shit Saban does, then I'll be concerned. AFAIK this is the first year in a long while something of this nature has occurred with this football team.

    Two of those players were listed as active participants in the title game. I am just questioning how they could be healthy enough to play then, but now a few weeks later (after signing 6 more guys than there was space for) those 2 aren't healthy enough to play football ever again.

    I think Dunn will transfer. If more guys go to YSU they'll just dominate.

    I agree, this stuff does happen across the country every year. A lot of coaches that aren't dirty in any way go over by 2 or 3 guys because they know other players will be leaving the team soon. But OSU has consistently signed a lot of players the last few classes (this being the most I believe). Nothing that breaks the rules yet, but enough to keep an eye on them.

    I also agree that Saban is the king at this slimey shit. I wish he would get hit with sanctions at some point, but never will.

  • @mld-woody said:

    No, I'm trying to shed light on thus shady act. I realize OSU isn't the only school to do it, but every school surely doesn't. Also, other schools doing it is no excuse either. "Yeah we're unethical, but so is everyone else!" hardly sounds like a defense.

    You think no one had an idea he was leaving? He officially accepted a job the day after signing day. You think he never told his boss? There are unconfirmed reports a beat writer in Cbus knew but sat on the info. I'm guessing they knew, but never told Weber

    I've said twice it's not unethical and the report I linked and Erie Dawg reiterated plainly (and simply) writes it's stupid to think other wise. Are you choosing just not to read that?

    Yes, I could very easily believe no one knew. If you're looking for another job and you tell your current boss that's really God damn stupid. More power to you if you do but the real world is gonna be a kick in the ass.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #49

    @jrb12711 said:

    I've said twice it's not unethical and the report I linked and Erie Dawg reiterated plainly (and simply) writes it's stupid to think other wise. Are you choosing just not to read that?

    Yes, I could very easily believe no one knew. If you're looking for another job and you tell your current boss that's really God damn stupid. More power to you if you do but the real world is gonna be a kick in the ass.

    I did read that. I still think it is unethical.

    Oversigning (whether committed here or not) is unethical because you are toying with the lives or 17 year olds. There is a good chance that to make room, someone gets an offer pulled, or forced to gray shirt, or current players get pushed off of the team. There is a reason some conferences have rules designed to limit this behavior.

    Excessive medical hardships are also obviously unethical. You're pushing a kid off of your team and basically ending their career because they have underperformed and you need roster space. Whether or not that happened here, I am just saying it is unethical.

    Finally, recruiting a player while pushing how honest and trustworthy you are, only to take another job as soon as he signs is not unethical in itself. If you had any indication that this new job may be a possibility, but said nothing to the recruit, then it is unethical. You are basically lying to their face, pulling a bait and switch. I have a hard time believing this HB coach knew nothing about the Bear's job until the day after signing day. By knowing he was taking it, or even might take it, but still saying nothing to Weber, that is pretty scummy.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #50

    But don't worry, OSU RB coach wasn't the only team/guy to do this. UCLA's DC did a bait and switch, and so did Texas' DL coach.

    Actions like that get you banned from recruiting at certain HSs by the HCs there. Like OSU from Cass Tech.

    Another thing that can do that, Petrino pulling a scholarship offer from a kid days before signing day because he had less space than he thought. Now that kid's HS coach has banned him from recruiting at that HS. That is worse than what OSU did to Weber.

  • P Pumpkin Eater wrote on last edited by
    #51

    Lol @ michigan. Their recruiting class was even smaller than woodys pecker, tiny. Its an embarassment of riches at OSU and michigan cant even recruit a full class with hairball coaching.