Skip to content

OSU Football with Shady SEC Tactics

College Football Forum
76 9 3.3k
  • You commit to the university not a single coach who will he completely irrelevant in his mind once he's on the field trouncing opponents. I guess I just don't see the big deal and I'm also guessing if it were michigan instead of ohio state you'd also fail to see the big deal.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by MLD Woody
    #56

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    You commit to the university not a single coach who will he completely irrelevant in his mind once he's on the field trouncing opponents. I guess I just don't see the big deal and I'm also guessing if it were michigan instead of ohio state you'd also fail to see the big deal.

    So the runningback's coach will be completely irrelevant to the runningback.... uuhhh.... ok

    No matter the school, I think it would be a dick move. Again, it isn't that the coach left, it is that they deliberately mislead him in an attempt to get him to sign. Coaches come and go all of the time, but if a coach is preaching honesty and trust, he should let a recruit know that he's going to be taking a new job.

    From the article I posted. Roquan Smith's HS coach

    “I’m reading a lot of these websites, and you’ve got people on there saying things like ‘A kid shouldn’t commit to a coach; he should commit to a school,’” Macon County coachLarry Harold said.

    “I just want to tell those people this, because maybe they don’t know: If you’ve never played sports or anything like that, you are more than just a coach to these kids. You’re their dad, their mom, and their extended family. You’re everything to these kids. So when they’re going to get recruited by the next coach, to find the person who is going to be charge of the next four years of their life, they are looking for the same things.”

    “When you get recruited by Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Oregon and all these top schools – when you go visit them, they all have nice football facilities. They have good academic centers and beautiful campuses. Everything is basically the same everywhere. So what separates them? You know what the coaches sell those kids on? ‘That it’s about the people and the relationships.’ That’s all they sell the kids on. They all say the same things. If you had a recruiter sitting here, he’d say, ‘Our school is just like everybody else, but it’s all about the people and relationships with us.’

    Macon County coach Larry Harold (AJC)

    “So how can these guys (college coaches) talk about the people and the relationships — and then you get these kids signed and then you bail on them at the first time you get the opportunity? Look at all these stories after signing day.

    “You can’t tell me that these head coaches aren’t telling these assistants that they know are leaving – don’t tell anybody until after signing day and then we’ll announce it. That’s deception and that dishonesty. And, most importantly, it’s not fair to the kids.”

  • @erie-dawg said:

    Nope not wrong I'm just able to understand matters better that's all.

    This whole conversation started with you saying we "put in the medical hardship papers" for Devin Gardner hahaha. How can you "understand matters better" if you don't even understand the difference between a medical redshirt and a medical hardship?

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #57

    @mld-woody said:

    This whole conversation started with you saying we "put in the medical hardship papers" for Devin Gardner hahaha. How can you "understand matters better" if you don't even understand the difference between a medical redshirt and a medical hardship?

    like I said before I understand completely, but it obvious you are just being a dumbass if your still stuck on making sure I understand the difference between m.r. and m.h. you know very well that they extended his time and was shady because michigan had no one to take the reigns at Qb. why? Because The recruiting by michigan has been shit.
  • @mld-woody said:

    This whole conversation started with you saying we "put in the medical hardship papers" for Devin Gardner hahaha. How can you "understand matters better" if you don't even understand the difference between a medical redshirt and a medical hardship?

    like I said before I understand completely, but it obvious you are just being a dumbass if your still stuck on making sure I understand the difference between m.r. and m.h. you know very well that they extended his time and was shady because michigan had no one to take the reigns at Qb. why? Because The recruiting by michigan has been shit.
    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #58

    @erie-dawg said:

    like I said before I understand completely, but it obvious you are just being a dumbass if your still stuck on making sure I understand the difference between m.r. and m.h. you know very well that they extended his time and was shady because michigan had no one to take the reigns at Qb. why? Because The recruiting by michigan has been shit.

    Hahahahahahaha, holy shit this is funny.

    Look at your very first post about this. "I think putting in medical hardship papers for Devin Gardner was shady of michigan also."

    You clearly didn't understand the difference between a medical hardship and a medical redshirt. If you did, you wouldn't have typed what I just showed above haha

    Even ignoring the fact you don't have a basic understanding of what you're talking about, calling a medical redshirt "shady" in an attempt to bring Michigan down to OSUs level is fucking laughable. There is nothing "shady" about a medical redshirt. A player gets hurt for most of a year, he loses the ability to play for that year. A medical redshirt grants a player that year of eligibility back. It is used by every school across the country on a regular basis. It benefits the player and the school. There is nothing "shady" about that. You are trying make it look like Michigan helping a player get a year of eligibility back is "shady" because we could use the QB help?

    ahahahhaha.... you might just want to stop. I know a lot of you are full on "head in the sand, OSU is god" type of fans, but this is ridiculous.

    Look, this started with you not having a base level understanding of what you were talking about, and now you're just grasping at straws to bring Michigan down to OSUs level. It isn't happening man. Just save face and call it a day.

  • @erie-dawg said:

    like I said before I understand completely, but it obvious you are just being a dumbass if your still stuck on making sure I understand the difference between m.r. and m.h. you know very well that they extended his time and was shady because michigan had no one to take the reigns at Qb. why? Because The recruiting by michigan has been shit.

    Hahahahahahaha, holy shit this is funny.

    Look at your very first post about this. "I think putting in medical hardship papers for Devin Gardner was shady of michigan also."

    You clearly didn't understand the difference between a medical hardship and a medical redshirt. If you did, you wouldn't have typed what I just showed above haha

    Even ignoring the fact you don't have a basic understanding of what you're talking about, calling a medical redshirt "shady" in an attempt to bring Michigan down to OSUs level is fucking laughable. There is nothing "shady" about a medical redshirt. A player gets hurt for most of a year, he loses the ability to play for that year. A medical redshirt grants a player that year of eligibility back. It is used by every school across the country on a regular basis. It benefits the player and the school. There is nothing "shady" about that. You are trying make it look like Michigan helping a player get a year of eligibility back is "shady" because we could use the QB help?

    ahahahhaha.... you might just want to stop. I know a lot of you are full on "head in the sand, OSU is god" type of fans, but this is ridiculous.

    Look, this started with you not having a base level understanding of what you were talking about, and now you're just grasping at straws to bring Michigan down to OSUs level. It isn't happening man. Just save face and call it a day.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @mld-woody said:

    Hahahahahahaha, holy shit this is funny.

    Look at your very first post about this. "I think putting in medical hardship papers for Devin Gardner was shady of michigan also."

    You clearly didn't understand the difference between a medical hardship and a medical redshirt. If you did, you wouldn't have typed what I just showed above haha

    Even ignoring the fact you don't have a basic understanding of what you're talking about, calling a medical redshirt "shady" in an attempt to bring Michigan down to OSUs level is fucking laughable. There is nothing "shady" about a medical redshirt. A player gets hurt for most of a year, he loses the ability to play for that year. A medical redshirt grants a player that year of eligibility back. It is used by every school across the country on a regular basis. It benefits the player and the school. There is nothing "shady" about that. You are trying make it look like Michigan helping a player get a year of eligibility back is "shady" because we could use the QB help?

    ahahahhaha.... you might just want to stop. I know a lot of you are full on "head in the sand, OSU is god" type of fans, but this is ridiculous.

    Look, this started with you not having a base level understanding of what you were talking about, and now you're just grasping at straws to bring Michigan down to OSUs level. It isn't happening man. Just save face and call it a day.

    @erie-dawg said:

    like I said before I understand completely, but it obvious you are just being a dumbass if your still stuck on making sure I understand the difference between m.r. and m.h. you know very well that they extended his time and was shady because michigan had no one to take the reigns at Qb. why? Because The recruiting by michigan has been shit.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by MLD Woody
    #60

    and my previous post still stands.

    I accept your surrender.

    I'm out now. Try better next time.

  • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
    #61

    LoL @Michigan for failing to land Weber.

    He's all OURS you jealous whiny bitch.

  • @the-cysko-kid said:

    You commit to the university not a single coach who will he completely irrelevant in his mind once he's on the field trouncing opponents. I guess I just don't see the big deal and I'm also guessing if it were michigan instead of ohio state you'd also fail to see the big deal.

    So the runningback's coach will be completely irrelevant to the runningback.... uuhhh.... ok

    No matter the school, I think it would be a dick move. Again, it isn't that the coach left, it is that they deliberately mislead him in an attempt to get him to sign. Coaches come and go all of the time, but if a coach is preaching honesty and trust, he should let a recruit know that he's going to be taking a new job.

    From the article I posted. Roquan Smith's HS coach

    “I’m reading a lot of these websites, and you’ve got people on there saying things like ‘A kid shouldn’t commit to a coach; he should commit to a school,’” Macon County coachLarry Harold said.

    “I just want to tell those people this, because maybe they don’t know: If you’ve never played sports or anything like that, you are more than just a coach to these kids. You’re their dad, their mom, and their extended family. You’re everything to these kids. So when they’re going to get recruited by the next coach, to find the person who is going to be charge of the next four years of their life, they are looking for the same things.”

    “When you get recruited by Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Oregon and all these top schools – when you go visit them, they all have nice football facilities. They have good academic centers and beautiful campuses. Everything is basically the same everywhere. So what separates them? You know what the coaches sell those kids on? ‘That it’s about the people and the relationships.’ That’s all they sell the kids on. They all say the same things. If you had a recruiter sitting here, he’d say, ‘Our school is just like everybody else, but it’s all about the people and relationships with us.’

    Macon County coach Larry Harold (AJC)

    “So how can these guys (college coaches) talk about the people and the relationships — and then you get these kids signed and then you bail on them at the first time you get the opportunity? Look at all these stories after signing day.

    “You can’t tell me that these head coaches aren’t telling these assistants that they know are leaving – don’t tell anybody until after signing day and then we’ll announce it. That’s deception and that dishonesty. And, most importantly, it’s not fair to the kids.”

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @mld-woody said:

    So the runningback's coach will be completely irrelevant to the runningback.... uuhhh.... ok

    No matter the school, I think it would be a dick move. Again, it isn't that the coach left, it is that they deliberately mislead him in an attempt to get him to sign. Coaches come and go all of the time, but if a coach is preaching honesty and trust, he should let a recruit know that he's going to be taking a new job.

    Oh the outrage, lol, never heard a recruit say i commited to this college because of the positions coach.

    Position coaches come and go from programs every year its not a big deal. Has a position coach never left michigan?

  • and my previous post still stands.

    I accept your surrender.

    I'm out now. Try better next time.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @mld-woody said:

    and my previous post still stands.

    I accept your surrender.

    I'm out now. Try better next time.

    For a college grad you sure have no common sense.

    Did Michigan extend his Gardners eligibility?

    Why did they do so?

  • @mld-woody said:

    and my previous post still stands.

    I accept your surrender.

    I'm out now. Try better next time.

    For a college grad you sure have no common sense.

    Did Michigan extend his Gardners eligibility?

    Why did they do so?

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #64

    @erie-dawg said:

    For a college grad you sure have no common sense.

    Did Michigan extend his Gardners eligibility?

    Why did they do so?

    Why would they want to? He sucks

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by Browns149
    #65

    Gardner wasn't even invited to the NFL combine

    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • @erie-dawg said:

    For a college grad you sure have no common sense.

    Did Michigan extend his Gardners eligibility?

    Why did they do so?

    Why would they want to? He sucks

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @browns149 said:

    Why would they want to? He sucks

    because he sucked less than the guy behind him. Also michigan hasn't done well the last 5 years of producing or recruiting someone competent enough to take the job from him. They knew this and m.r. him to buy some time.
  • @browns149 said:

    Why would they want to? He sucks

    because he sucked less than the guy behind him. Also michigan hasn't done well the last 5 years of producing or recruiting someone competent enough to take the job from him. They knew this and m.r. him to buy some time.
    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #67

    @erie-dawg said:

    because he sucked less than the guy behind him. Also michigan hasn't done well the last 5 years of producing or recruiting someone competent enough to take the job from him. They knew this and m.r. him to buy some time.

    But we've been told, over and over, that Hoke was a GREAT recruiter?

    How bad must the ohter guys have been to not take the job from him?

  • Gardner wasn't even invited to the NFL combine

    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @browns149 said:

    Gardner was even invited to the NFL combine

    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

    wasn't surprised most qbs do, but given this years terrible qb class they had to have someone at the combine. He's projected at 13th best and to go undrafted.
  • @browns149 said:

    Gardner was even invited to the NFL combine

    LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

    wasn't surprised most qbs do, but given this years terrible qb class they had to have someone at the combine. He's projected at 13th best and to go undrafted.
    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @erie-dawg said:

    wasn't surprised most qbs do, but given this years terrible qb class they had to have someone at the combine. He's projected at 13th best and to go undrafted.

    I fixed it. He was NOT invited. 321 players were invited and he was NOT on the list

    LMAO

  • Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #70

    LOL

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Tanner, Bogard and Reeves - the latter two have apparently suffered setbacks in rehabbing multiple ACL tears. I was very excited about Bogard especially.

    Plus you have the rumored pending transfer of Brionte' Dunn and another (sources) unnamed player(s) for lack of PT, then the recruiting numbers fall in line.

    So my direct response to Woody: if you see shit like this happening EVERY year - Where we place multiple kids with grey-shirts, medical hardship and excessively sign 30+ kids, and flat out not renew a scholarship,basically all the shit Saban does, then I'll be concerned. AFAIK this is the first year in a long while something of this nature has occurred with this football team.

    Two of those players were listed as active participants in the title game. I am just questioning how they could be healthy enough to play then, but now a few weeks later (after signing 6 more guys than there was space for) those 2 aren't healthy enough to play football ever again.

    I think Dunn will transfer. If more guys go to YSU they'll just dominate.

    I agree, this stuff does happen across the country every year. A lot of coaches that aren't dirty in any way go over by 2 or 3 guys because they know other players will be leaving the team soon. But OSU has consistently signed a lot of players the last few classes (this being the most I believe). Nothing that breaks the rules yet, but enough to keep an eye on them.

    I also agree that Saban is the king at this slimey shit. I wish he would get hit with sanctions at some point, but never will.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @mld-woody said:

    Two of those players were listed as active participants in the title game. I am just questioning how they could be healthy enough to play then, but now a few weeks later (after signing 6 more guys than there was space for) those 2 aren't healthy enough to play football ever again.

    Just read that Reeves had a concussion covering a kick off in the title game. That would make his 4th in the last 2 years? Rumor is that the training staff is telling him that his education is paid for but it might be best to step away from football.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Two of those players were listed as active participants in the title game. I am just questioning how they could be healthy enough to play then, but now a few weeks later (after signing 6 more guys than there was space for) those 2 aren't healthy enough to play football ever again.

    Just read that Reeves had a concussion covering a kick off in the title game. That would make his 4th in the last 2 years? Rumor is that the training staff is telling him that his education is paid for but it might be best to step away from football.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #72

    @tiamat63 said:

    Just read that Reeves had a concussion covering a kick off in the title game. That would make his 4th in the last 2 years? Rumor is that the training staff is telling him that his education is paid for but it might be best to step away from football.

    If that is the case then I would imagine it is very justified.

    I also was hearing from an OSU fan buddy of mine that Reeves may get to play in 2016. So maybe they didn't grant the hardship yet? I'm not sure.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #73

    ... like normal, let me correct the incorrect information in the last few posts...

    1) Recruits build relationships with coaches. A player spends a lot of time around their position coach. It would make sense the a recruit cares about who their position coach is. We as fans may not give a shit about the HB Coach, but the players that interact with him nearly every day would.

    2) The issue isn't that the RB Coach left (missing the point like Tatgate). The issue is the "bait and switch". He led the recruit on that he would be there while knowing he would be leaving right after NSD. At there very least he knew it was a strong possibility. Mike Weber reacted like he had no idea, so it doesn't look like it was brought up. Again, this isn't something unique to OSU. Similar tactics occurred at UCLA and Texas.

    3) "For a college grad you have no common sense". Damn near everyone is a college grad. That isn't much of a limiting factor.

    4) Yes they extended Gardner's eligibility. Yes, they did it to help the team, but also help Gardner. But again, you are completely missing the point here. I believe this stems from you not knowing the difference between a medical hardship and a medical redshirt. You are pretty damn committed to trying to make a medical redshirt sound shady, but to anyone that knows anything about CFB, you really just sound like an idiot. I am not sure what else to say on this matter. What we did with Gardner wasn't shady, it helped the player, and it can't be abused like Medical Hardships can.

    5) The one thing Hoke did very well is recruit. Those Recruiting Rankings you like to act are gospel, he did pretty well there. The only reason you've been told that multiple times, is to correct you. If you say truthful statements the first time, there will be no reason to correct you. Any QB we had though would not have succeeded in that situation. He had some good games, some great games, but the rest wasn't there to promote consistency.

    6) Gardner was a 5 star dual threat QB. He came in as a very good player and played very well to start. Denard was the perfect QB for Rrod though and was busy carrying the team. Like I have told you before, Gardner was broken by us. Multiple coaches, schemes, positions, and getting the shit beat out of him. I feel bad for the guy and hope he gets a shot in the NFL.

    7) Gardner is going into the NFL as a WR, not a QB. So, for as much as you seem to know about the guy, you don't even know what position he moved to. He wasn't invited to the combine as a WR, and it was generally regarded as one of the first guys to just not make it. I think it makes sense though, he is just now switching to WR, and there are plenty of guys at WR that have been there for years and deserve a shot. It would have been nice for him to show his ability though, to follow up a strong Sr Bowl. He'll have to make do with the Michigan Pro Day though.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #74

    Let the "REAL" world set in

    wishagin is a school with a HORRIBLE football program

    They can claim Hoke was a great recruiter, or that the coaches couldn't coach the players that were great recrutes

    Now Harbaugh is there and he will be gone sooner then later

    As soon as the NYG get rid of Tommy boy, Jimmy will be right there

  • ... like normal, let me correct the incorrect information in the last few posts...

    1) Recruits build relationships with coaches. A player spends a lot of time around their position coach. It would make sense the a recruit cares about who their position coach is. We as fans may not give a shit about the HB Coach, but the players that interact with him nearly every day would.

    2) The issue isn't that the RB Coach left (missing the point like Tatgate). The issue is the "bait and switch". He led the recruit on that he would be there while knowing he would be leaving right after NSD. At there very least he knew it was a strong possibility. Mike Weber reacted like he had no idea, so it doesn't look like it was brought up. Again, this isn't something unique to OSU. Similar tactics occurred at UCLA and Texas.

    3) "For a college grad you have no common sense". Damn near everyone is a college grad. That isn't much of a limiting factor.

    4) Yes they extended Gardner's eligibility. Yes, they did it to help the team, but also help Gardner. But again, you are completely missing the point here. I believe this stems from you not knowing the difference between a medical hardship and a medical redshirt. You are pretty damn committed to trying to make a medical redshirt sound shady, but to anyone that knows anything about CFB, you really just sound like an idiot. I am not sure what else to say on this matter. What we did with Gardner wasn't shady, it helped the player, and it can't be abused like Medical Hardships can.

    5) The one thing Hoke did very well is recruit. Those Recruiting Rankings you like to act are gospel, he did pretty well there. The only reason you've been told that multiple times, is to correct you. If you say truthful statements the first time, there will be no reason to correct you. Any QB we had though would not have succeeded in that situation. He had some good games, some great games, but the rest wasn't there to promote consistency.

    6) Gardner was a 5 star dual threat QB. He came in as a very good player and played very well to start. Denard was the perfect QB for Rrod though and was busy carrying the team. Like I have told you before, Gardner was broken by us. Multiple coaches, schemes, positions, and getting the shit beat out of him. I feel bad for the guy and hope he gets a shot in the NFL.

    7) Gardner is going into the NFL as a WR, not a QB. So, for as much as you seem to know about the guy, you don't even know what position he moved to. He wasn't invited to the combine as a WR, and it was generally regarded as one of the first guys to just not make it. I think it makes sense though, he is just now switching to WR, and there are plenty of guys at WR that have been there for years and deserve a shot. It would have been nice for him to show his ability though, to follow up a strong Sr Bowl. He'll have to make do with the Michigan Pro Day though.

    Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #75

    @mld-woody said:

    4) Yes they extended Gardner's eligibility. Yes, they did it to help the team, but also help Gardner. But again, you are completely missing the point here. I believe this stems from you not knowing the difference between a medical hardship and a medical redshirt. You are pretty damn committed to trying to make a medical redshirt sound shady, but to anyone that knows anything about CFB, you really just sound like an idiot. I am not sure what else to say on this matter. What we did with Gardner wasn't shady, it helped the player, and it can't be abused like Medical Hardships can.

    woody after Gardner, michigan recruited no qb worth a shit, gardner got M.R. because of the piss poor recruiting at that position plain and simple. Even now look who they have... I would call there stable of QB's dog shit but that would be a disservice to the K-9 community. They had no one to take his spot and still don't.

    5) The one thing Hoke did very well is recruit. Those Recruiting Rankings you like to act are gospel, he did pretty well there. The only reason you've been told that multiple times, is to correct you. If you say truthful statements the first time, there will be no reason to correct you. Any QB we had though would not have succeeded in that situation. He had some good games, some great games, but the rest wasn't there to promote consistency.

    ​Yeah to bad he forgot the most important position to recruit.

    6) Multiple coaches, schemes, positions, and getting the shit beat out of him. I feel bad for the guy and hope he gets a shot in the NFL.

    I feel bad for the recruits that commit to a college and have constant turnover in the coaching ranks.

    7) Gardner is going into the NFL as a WR, not a QB.

    Yeah good luck with that!