Skip to content

OT - Have we seen the last of Tiger Woods?

Barber Shop Talk
41 19 2.9k
  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by TexasAg1969
    #17

    Do golf have a playoff? 😆

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #18

    I disagree with some of you on the sport aspect. Golf might be the greatest sport. It's you and the course, playing against other great golfers. They also administer the game adhering to a code of ethics and honesty. The worst thing a golfer can do is to be caught cheating. That is what makes the sport pure.

    No fella's, golf might be the greatest sport of them all. Nope....it's not a physical sport but one needs to be in shape, but it is a very hard sport to master, you have no teammates to carry you on a off day, and it is total mental pressure. Making that 6 foot par putt is every bit as hard as nailing that last shot in basketball, kicking that 48 yard field goal to win the game, or driving in the winning run.

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #19

    Tiger will be just fine if he wants to be.

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #20

    The guy is 39 and just off of steroids.....maybe not. You haven't heard about womanizing.....maybe his nads have shriviled to the size of lima beans.

  • I disagree with some of you on the sport aspect. Golf might be the greatest sport. It's you and the course, playing against other great golfers. They also administer the game adhering to a code of ethics and honesty. The worst thing a golfer can do is to be caught cheating. That is what makes the sport pure.

    No fella's, golf might be the greatest sport of them all. Nope....it's not a physical sport but one needs to be in shape, but it is a very hard sport to master, you have no teammates to carry you on a off day, and it is total mental pressure. Making that 6 foot par putt is every bit as hard as nailing that last shot in basketball, kicking that 48 yard field goal to win the game, or driving in the winning run.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #21

    @ballpeen said:

    I disagree with some of you on the sport aspect. Golf might be the greatest sport. It's you and the course, playing against other great golfers. They also administer the game adhering to a code of ethics and honesty. The worst thing a golfer can do is to be caught cheating. That is what makes the sport pure.

    No fella's, golf might be the greatest sport of them all. Nope....it's not a physical sport but one needs to be in shape, but it is a very hard sport to master, you have no teammates to carry you on a off day, and it is total mental pressure. Making that 6 foot par putt is every bit as hard as nailing that last shot in basketball, kicking that 48 yard field goal to win the game, or driving in the winning run.

    And again- it's where I disagree. Had to Google the name- Casey Martin wanted to play the pro tour using a cart- if you can't walk a couple of miles- well, just how fit are you? BTW- mental pressure doesn't make it a sport. You want mental pressure- I suppose chess is a "sport".

    I'd agree most Tour Level Golfers are fit- but on the level of say Pro level tennis players- it's a total joke to even discuss.

    So it depends on whether you want to define "sport" as superior athletic ability- or skill. I take the former. Apparently plenty of people take the latter, as most of the big tournaments have mulit-million dollar payouts for watching guys who have this particular skill.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #22

    I kind of agree with ballpeen. I wouldn't call golf the greatest sport of all, maybe in the pure sense boxing or wrestling or track, but those bore me a lot worse than golf. And Golf is as much a sport as anything.

    And really, who cares? I get it that people that don't like golf what to insulted. You could do the same thing with football or baseball I suppose. As for Tiger Woods? Well I usually hate to see any great sportsman actor musician etc, fall apart. On the other hand he seems like he's been something of an asshole so life goes on. Nobody stays on top forever.

    "it was never meant to be a game"

    50 points for that reference...

    WSS

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Golf is not an athletic sport. Its a game, like jarts or cornhole.

  • I disagree with some of you on the sport aspect. Golf might be the greatest sport. It's you and the course, playing against other great golfers. They also administer the game adhering to a code of ethics and honesty. The worst thing a golfer can do is to be caught cheating. That is what makes the sport pure.

    No fella's, golf might be the greatest sport of them all. Nope....it's not a physical sport but one needs to be in shape, but it is a very hard sport to master, you have no teammates to carry you on a off day, and it is total mental pressure. Making that 6 foot par putt is every bit as hard as nailing that last shot in basketball, kicking that 48 yard field goal to win the game, or driving in the winning run.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @ballpeen said:

    I disagree with some of you on the sport aspect. Golf might be the greatest sport. It's you and the course, playing against other great golfers. They also administer the game adhering to a code of ethics and honesty. The worst thing a golfer can do is to be caught cheating. That is what makes the sport pure.

    No fella's, golf might be the greatest sport of them all. Nope....it's not a physical sport but one needs to be in shape, but it is a very hard sport to master, you have no teammates to carry you on a off day, and it is total mental pressure. Making that 6 foot par putt is every bit as hard as nailing that last shot in basketball, kicking that 48 yard field goal to win the game, or driving in the winning run.

    IMO it is MUCH harder to make a 10 foot putt to win a golf tournament then it is to make a game winning shot in basketball.

    Basketball is 90% physical and 10% mental. It is way easier to teach the physical parts of a game then the mental parts.

    Basketball is a much tougher on the body then the brain. Golf is the COMPLETE opposite of that.

    Plus in golf you swing the club for about 2 seconds and the rest of the time you are thinking about the next shot. Making a game winning shot in basketball is almost ALL reaction and very little thinking

  • @ballpeen said:

    I disagree with some of you on the sport aspect. Golf might be the greatest sport. It's you and the course, playing against other great golfers. They also administer the game adhering to a code of ethics and honesty. The worst thing a golfer can do is to be caught cheating. That is what makes the sport pure.

    No fella's, golf might be the greatest sport of them all. Nope....it's not a physical sport but one needs to be in shape, but it is a very hard sport to master, you have no teammates to carry you on a off day, and it is total mental pressure. Making that 6 foot par putt is every bit as hard as nailing that last shot in basketball, kicking that 48 yard field goal to win the game, or driving in the winning run.

    IMO it is MUCH harder to make a 10 foot putt to win a golf tournament then it is to make a game winning shot in basketball.

    Basketball is 90% physical and 10% mental. It is way easier to teach the physical parts of a game then the mental parts.

    Basketball is a much tougher on the body then the brain. Golf is the COMPLETE opposite of that.

    Plus in golf you swing the club for about 2 seconds and the rest of the time you are thinking about the next shot. Making a game winning shot in basketball is almost ALL reaction and very little thinking

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta
    #25

    @browns149 said:

    IMO it is MUCH harder to make a 10 foot putt to win a golf tournament then it is to make a game winning shot in basketball.

    Basketball is 90% physical and 10% mental. It is way easier to teach the physical parts of a game then the mental parts.

    Basketball is a much tougher on the body then the brain. Golf is the COMPLETE opposite of that.

    Plus in golf you swing the club for about 2 seconds and the rest of the time you are thinking about the next shot. Making a game winning shot in basketball is almost ALL reaction and very little thinking

    I disagree- in large part a golf swing is largely a repetitive learned mechanism. You can build a machine that can hit them 300 yards right down the middle- every time. So is throwing a bowling ball consistently between the 1-3 pocket. I'll grant you learning how to line up a putt involves more skill. I played competitive tennis- well- and golf- poorly. Why? A tennis serve is as much a learned action as hitting a drive off a tee on on fairway. BTW, in tennis, you're seeing that ball coming at you at 100 mph (120+ on a serve) with various spins applied.

    So I say BS- make a guy run a couple 5 second 40 laps around the green before he tries to sink that putt- like a basketball player would before he tries that game winning free throw- or a tennis player lining up a serve being down a match point- and I'll call it a sport. Excuse me if I think you could be a freaking robot and still earn a decent living on the tour if you were sound mechanically.

    PS- golfers don't have 5,000 people yelling "MISS IT!!!!" Or waving foam sticks behind their line to distract them either. Doesn't matter the sport- you have to blot out the background noise.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by Browns149
    #26

    Golf is also played outdoors in the elements. Granted most times the weather is nice, but sometimes it is bad. ie British Open, or when it's 100 degrees

    Baketball is played in a 68 degree arena with no wind or rain. And a baketball court is the same size all the time.

    Every golf shot is different, while most basketball shots are taken from inside the same 25 foot range.

  • Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    And a golf swing could be off by 1mm and the ball will go all over the place. Basketball has a much bigger margin of error

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #28

    There have been great athletes who have been great golfers and horrible athletes that have been successful in other sports. The one thing that I always come back to, Michael Jordan, arguably one of the greatest athletes of all-time, said in his video "Come Fly With Me" that some day he would like to be a professional golfer, not even a fucking glimmer of a chance.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #29

    i forget the announcer who got fired when asked about the LPGA vs the PGA. he said the reason a women will never be as good as a man in golf is because their tits get in the way (well of course he used the word breasts etc.). but when you think about it, it's true.

    that's why charles barkley sucks at it.

  • @ballpeen said:

    I disagree with some of you on the sport aspect. Golf might be the greatest sport. It's you and the course, playing against other great golfers. They also administer the game adhering to a code of ethics and honesty. The worst thing a golfer can do is to be caught cheating. That is what makes the sport pure.

    No fella's, golf might be the greatest sport of them all. Nope....it's not a physical sport but one needs to be in shape, but it is a very hard sport to master, you have no teammates to carry you on a off day, and it is total mental pressure. Making that 6 foot par putt is every bit as hard as nailing that last shot in basketball, kicking that 48 yard field goal to win the game, or driving in the winning run.

    And again- it's where I disagree. Had to Google the name- Casey Martin wanted to play the pro tour using a cart- if you can't walk a couple of miles- well, just how fit are you? BTW- mental pressure doesn't make it a sport. You want mental pressure- I suppose chess is a "sport".

    I'd agree most Tour Level Golfers are fit- but on the level of say Pro level tennis players- it's a total joke to even discuss.

    So it depends on whether you want to define "sport" as superior athletic ability- or skill. I take the former. Apparently plenty of people take the latter, as most of the big tournaments have mulit-million dollar payouts for watching guys who have this particular skill.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @hoorta said:

    And again- it's where I disagree. Had to Google the name- Casey Martin wanted to play the pro tour using a cart- if you can't walk a couple of miles- well, just how fit are you? BTW- mental pressure doesn't make it a sport. You want mental pressure- I suppose chess is a "sport".

    I'd agree most Tour Level Golfers are fit- but on the level of say Pro level tennis players- it's a total joke to even discuss.

    So it depends on whether you want to define "sport" as superior athletic ability- or skill. I take the former. Apparently plenty of people take the latter, as most of the big tournaments have mulit-million dollar payouts for watching guys who have this particular skill.

    I totally disagree......you do know Martin was disabled, don't you?

    So riddle me this....was Jack Nicklaus a great sportsman or was he just a fat kid from Ohio?

  • @browns149 said:

    IMO it is MUCH harder to make a 10 foot putt to win a golf tournament then it is to make a game winning shot in basketball.

    Basketball is 90% physical and 10% mental. It is way easier to teach the physical parts of a game then the mental parts.

    Basketball is a much tougher on the body then the brain. Golf is the COMPLETE opposite of that.

    Plus in golf you swing the club for about 2 seconds and the rest of the time you are thinking about the next shot. Making a game winning shot in basketball is almost ALL reaction and very little thinking

    I disagree- in large part a golf swing is largely a repetitive learned mechanism. You can build a machine that can hit them 300 yards right down the middle- every time. So is throwing a bowling ball consistently between the 1-3 pocket. I'll grant you learning how to line up a putt involves more skill. I played competitive tennis- well- and golf- poorly. Why? A tennis serve is as much a learned action as hitting a drive off a tee on on fairway. BTW, in tennis, you're seeing that ball coming at you at 100 mph (120+ on a serve) with various spins applied.

    So I say BS- make a guy run a couple 5 second 40 laps around the green before he tries to sink that putt- like a basketball player would before he tries that game winning free throw- or a tennis player lining up a serve being down a match point- and I'll call it a sport. Excuse me if I think you could be a freaking robot and still earn a decent living on the tour if you were sound mechanically.

    PS- golfers don't have 5,000 people yelling "MISS IT!!!!" Or waving foam sticks behind their line to distract them either. Doesn't matter the sport- you have to blot out the background noise.

    ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by ballpeen
    #31

    @hoorta said:

    I disagree- in large part a golf swing is largely a repetitive learned mechanism. You can build a machine that can hit them 300 yards right down the middle- every time. So is throwing a bowling ball consistently between the 1-3 pocket. I'll grant you learning how to line up a putt involves more skill. I played competitive tennis- well- and golf- poorly. Why? A tennis serve is as much a learned action as hitting a drive off a tee on on fairway. BTW, in tennis, you're seeing that ball coming at you at 100 mph (120+ on a serve) with various spins applied.

    So I say BS- make a guy run a couple 5 second 40 laps around the green before he tries to sink that putt- like a basketball player would before he tries that game winning free throw- or a tennis player lining up a serve being down a match point- and I'll call it a sport. Excuse me if I think you could be a freaking robot and still earn a decent living on the tour if you were sound mechanically.

    PS- golfers don't have 5,000 people yelling "MISS IT!!!!" Or waving foam sticks behind their line to distract them either. Doesn't matter the sport- you have to blot out the background noise.

    I don't hear tennis fans doing much booing. Golf is every bit and more demanding than tennis. So if golf isn't a sport, neither is tennis. If I was you I'd quit pimping tennis and calling golf a non sport. Tennis can't even get on TV except for their major tournamants....and nobody watches. Seriously Larry, you are pimping Tennis and you make fun of golf? That's pretty funny.

  • Erie DawgE Erie Dawg wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Fwiw I enjoy women's tennis more than women's golf.

  • i forget the announcer who got fired when asked about the LPGA vs the PGA. he said the reason a women will never be as good as a man in golf is because their tits get in the way (well of course he used the word breasts etc.). but when you think about it, it's true.

    that's why charles barkley sucks at it.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @miktoxic said:

    i forget the announcer who got fired when asked about the LPGA vs the PGA. he said the reason a women will never be as good as a man in golf is because their tits get in the way (well of course he used the word breasts etc.). but when you think about it, it's true.

    that's why charles barkley sucks at it.

    His name was Ben Wright.

  • Fwiw I enjoy women's tennis more than women's golf.

    Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @erie-dawg said:

    Fwiw I enjoy women's tennis more than women's golf.

    I can't watch women's tennis, golf, or basketball

    The tennis is unwatchable for the simple fact , the women scream on every shot, as if they were giving birth on the court

    The golf is unwatchable because I am used to watching the guys play at a much higher level

    The basketball is a COMPLETE joke

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #35

    If he chooses to get back he will.

  • The Cysko KidT The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
    #36

    Have we seen the last of woods? I hope so.