Skip to content

Hire Is Made

The Browns Board
14 10 1.2k
  • More like hires...

    Good read... we now have coaches with QB coaching background coming out of our ears.

    This caught my eye:

    "Recently, (O'Connell) logged close to a month with top quarterback prospects Marcus Mariota and Bryce Petty."

    Heard all about MM, but not Petty. Maybe our 2015 sleeper?

  • More like hires...

    Good read... we now have coaches with QB coaching background coming out of our ears.

    This caught my eye:

    "Recently, (O'Connell) logged close to a month with top quarterback prospects Marcus Mariota and Bryce Petty."

    Heard all about MM, but not Petty. Maybe our 2015 sleeper?

    @tour2ma said:

    More like hires...

    Good read... we now have coaches with QB coaching background coming out of our ears.

    This caught my eye:

    "Recently, (O'Connell) logged close to a month with top quarterback prospects Marcus Mariota and Bryce Petty."

    Heard all about MM, but not Petty. Maybe our 2015 sleeper?

    God, I hope not.

  • @tour2ma said:

    More like hires...

    Good read... we now have coaches with QB coaching background coming out of our ears.

    This caught my eye:

    "Recently, (O'Connell) logged close to a month with top quarterback prospects Marcus Mariota and Bryce Petty."

    Heard all about MM, but not Petty. Maybe our 2015 sleeper?

    God, I hope not.

    @tiamat63 said:

    God, I hope not.

    I didn't watch a lot of Baylor but I am sure the kid never played under center. Is that the reason for your problem with picking him up?

  • Big deal.. Until this team wins.. I don't give a flying fuck who they hire.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    God, I hope not.

    I didn't watch a lot of Baylor but I am sure the kid never played under center. Is that the reason for your problem with picking him up?

    @logicisforsquares said:

    I didn't watch a lot of Baylor but I am sure the kid never played under center. Is that the reason for your problem with picking him up?

    Petty played under Art Briles who runs a similar offense to A&M and Oregon and put up a ton of points. Lost a shootout 42-41 to Mich. St. in their bowl.

  • I thought I was kidding about him being a sleeper, and then I saw some workout footage of Petty doing 3 and 5-step drops... looked great.

    Nice feet... lotta quick in his step... excellent ball position and quick release with a lot of zip...

    I think he's going to turn some heads at the combine.

    Unfortunately he's a tad short at only 6'3... 😉

  • after watching a bit of film on Petty, I view him as a late 4th-5th round prospect. He gets the ball out quickly when his first option is open, becomes hesitant when his first target is taken away.

    I do like his release but he seems to just play catch (like weeden) as opposed to breaking down defenses...

    While he does have better wheels than Weeden, he isn't fast. Gonna take a lot of sacks/have a lot of balls batted down by NFL defenses (he also needs to learn how to slide).

  • i guess we'll see both mariota and petty throw saturday.

    winston....good decision by your agent dumbass.

  • after watching a bit of film on Petty, I view him as a late 4th-5th round prospect. He gets the ball out quickly when his first option is open, becomes hesitant when his first target is taken away.

    I do like his release but he seems to just play catch (like weeden) as opposed to breaking down defenses...

    While he does have better wheels than Weeden, he isn't fast. Gonna take a lot of sacks/have a lot of balls batted down by NFL defenses (he also needs to learn how to slide).

    @roycerolls said:

    after watching a bit of film on Petty, I view him as a late 4th-5th round prospect. He gets the ball out quickly when his first option is open, becomes hesitant when his first target is taken away.

    I do like his release but he seems to just play catch (like weeden) as opposed to breaking down defenses...

    While he does have better wheels than Weeden, he isn't fast. Gonna take a lot of sacks/have a lot of balls batted down by NFL defenses (he also needs to learn how to slide).

    I saw him reading/ seeing D's. Several times he was clearly reading the FS before coming off to a sideline go. Saw a great out throw where the shortest route, a low bullet, would have been INT'd by an under LB. Instead he took a little off, arched the ball over the LB and still completed the pass just in bounds and in front of the DB... probably the best throw I saw. In all I saw three true WTF throws.

    I watched his SMU and WVU games... very mixed bag to say the least, but I noticed one thing. He was very lazy with his feet out of the shotgun. Out of the gun his feet could end up anywhere and he primarily made arm throws that were more than a little wild.

    But here's the thing... out of the pistol he ran several read option passes and every time after completing the run fake, he'd do a mini-drop and his feet would end up perfect every time. Resulting throws were far more accurate. Gives me hope that the form he flashed in his drop-back, workout footage will hold up and translate into a better prospect than his numbers might indicate.

    Other notes:

    - Good pocket presense: Calm for a good, long time, but senses when it's time to go and goes.

    - Good runner with good, not great straight speed, but not agile. His 40 time is actually a shade faster than Manziel's.

    - Fire and love... I saw the fire and it was clear that the kid loves the game.

    I liked what I saw.

  • Big deal.. Until this team wins.. I don't give a flying fuck who they hire.

    @nickers said:

    Big deal.. Until this team wins.. I don't give a flying fuck who they hire.

    +1

  • More like hires...

    Good read... we now have coaches with QB coaching background coming out of our ears.

    This caught my eye:

    "Recently, (O'Connell) logged close to a month with top quarterback prospects Marcus Mariota and Bryce Petty."

    Heard all about MM, but not Petty. Maybe our 2015 sleeper?

    @tour2ma said:

    More like hires...

    Good read... we now have coaches with QB coaching background coming out of our ears.

    This caught my eye:

    "Recently, (O'Connell) logged close to a month with top quarterback prospects Marcus Mariota and Bryce Petty."

    Heard all about MM, but not Petty. Maybe our 2015 sleeper?

    In my mock drafts I have him going to the Cleveland Browns in like the 3rd round.

  • I like that he is young, and played in the league recently.

    I also like that he was beaten out by Brian Hoyer and attended the same college as Brian Sipe.

    But most of all, I like that he is Irish.

    Zombo

    (Yeah, I'm a few days behind)

  • hope he makes it further in his career than his brothers (considering one of them is a raven's fan).

    Jerry_O_Connell_Charlie_O_Connell_Victor