Skip to content

I LOVE Pettine being the head coach of the Browns

The Browns Board
39 19 1.7k
  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #9

    Thanks Zombo but my goal was only 75 posts on my Browns. πŸ™‚

    I just wanted to try and wake some people up to how destructive that negativism is. We have 32 teams who are in competition and our club is pulling itself up off the mat. They need our support. I am so looking forward to seeing the dog pound rocking and fans excited again.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #10

    I've made my remarks known that I just don't see the fascination with kid Shanny. It's clear that over a prolonged period of time his offensive mindset gets figured out. It really seems to me as well that he's the type of guy who relishes in his last name.

    I felt the same frikin way about Pat Shurmer too. Everyone kept saying the guy knows offense but the crap he put on the field was never good.

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Pettine is a good general. And he hates to lose. Good. I'm that way. I see him going into a game focused on what his team is going to do and less concerned about what the other team is going to do.

    The good coaches hate to lose. Urban Meyer said he told his players when he worked them hard preparing for the Oregon game the choice was put in the pain of the extra work to get ready for the hurry up offense of Oregon or face the pain of losing. I saw what happened. It paid off.

    The NFL is different than college but that principal is universal from high school to the pros.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #12

    Great interview... thanks for posting it, cal...

    Loved this Playboy interview moment:

    On what was the best part of his rookie head coaching season:

    "Seeing our guys celebrate wins in the locker room. I tell the guys: "There's no better feeling than winning. The food tastes better. The drinks taste better. Don't think it too lewd, the sex is better."

  • Pettine's a good coach. Beat the Steelers and Bungles in his first year and had the Ravens on the ropes twice, once with Conner Freaking Shaw in the last game of the season on the road when other Browns teams would have quit.

    I'm just laughing at all the negativity from fans this offseason, and if Old Browns Fan wants to start 94 threads about why he loves the Browns I am going to let him.

    We set the ship straight a year ago when we put Farmer and Pettine in charge. To get 7 wins out of this team the first year without Mack, Cameron and Taylor nearly the whole season, and only negative production from Gordon, and a journeyman QB, and three playoff teams in the division ... not bad for Year One.

    This offseason stuff that some folks are flipping out about, well, it doesn't really affect what we are doing here with Farm and Pet.

    Shanahan leaving: I give no shits. Buh Bye, new guy will work better within the entire philosophy of the team.

    Farmer texting: I give no shits. I'm sure lots of execs did it (now they won't) Farmer got caught because Shanny was comparing pussy rashes with Mary Kay and it slipped out.

    Johnny in rehab: I give half a shit. Listen, it's not the end of the world if the QB we took at #22 busts out, we have more draft picks, there are more QBs. Farmer had the balls to draft him, I hope this doesn't make him shy away from such bold moves, because sometimes they hit. who knows, Manziel, may still hit, we've got him locked up if he does.

    Gordon failing: I give a shit, but i don't blame PetFarm. Wasn't drafted by these guys. You can't babysit a 23 year-old 24 hours a day.

    What else are we "mad" about? Rookie corner is immature? Stop the presses. Ticket prices raised? They were the lowest in the league, you can't hold the new ownership responsible for the product the old ownership gave us. This franchise needs to think and act like an elite franchise and they should be charging at least the the league average.

    I think Jimmy has balls, I think Farmer has balls, and I think Pettine has balls ... and I think now is the time to show your support, any front runners try to jump on the train next year, I'm going to kick them in the face.

    Zombo

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #13

    Zombo said:

    Pettine's a good coach. Beat the Steelers and Bungles in his first year and had the Ravens on the ropes twice, once with Conner Freaking Shaw in the last game of the season on the road when other Browns teams would have quit.

    I'm just laughing at all the negativity from fans this offseason, and if Old Browns Fan wants to start 94 threads about why he loves the Browns I am going to let him.

    We set the ship straight a year ago when we put Farmer and Pettine in charge. To get 7 wins out of this team the first year without Mack, Cameron and Taylor nearly the whole season, and only negative production from Gordon, and a journeyman QB, and three playoff teams in the division ... not bad for Year One.

    This offseason stuff that some folks are flipping out about, well, it doesn't really affect what we are doing here with Farm and Pet.

    Shanahan leaving: I give no shits. Buh Bye, new guy will work better within the entire philosophy of the team.

    Farmer texting: I give no shits. I'm sure lots of execs did it (now they won't) Farmer got caught because Shanny was comparing pussy rashes with Mary Kay and it slipped out.

    Johnny in rehab: I give half a shit. Listen, it's not the end of the world if the QB we took at #22 busts out, we have more draft picks, there are more QBs. Farmer had the balls to draft him, I hope this doesn't make him shy away from such bold moves, because sometimes they hit. who knows, Manziel, may still hit, we've got him locked up if he does.

    Gordon failing: I give a shit, but i don't blame PetFarm. Wasn't drafted by these guys. You can't babysit a 23 year-old 24 hours a day.

    What else are we "mad" about? Rookie corner is immature? Stop the presses. Ticket prices raised? They were the lowest in the league, you can't hold the new ownership responsible for the product the old ownership gave us. This franchise needs to think and act like an elite franchise and they should be charging at least the the league average.

    I think Jimmy has balls, I think Farmer has balls, and I think Pettine has balls ... and I think now is the time to show your support, any front runners try to jump on the train next year, I'm going to kick them in the face.

    Zombo

    Oorah!

  • Thanks Zombo but my goal was only 75 posts on my Browns. πŸ™‚

    I just wanted to try and wake some people up to how destructive that negativism is. We have 32 teams who are in competition and our club is pulling itself up off the mat. They need our support. I am so looking forward to seeing the dog pound rocking and fans excited again.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    Thanks Zombo but my goal was only 75 posts on my Browns. πŸ™‚

    I just wanted to try and wake some people up to how destructive that negativism is. We have 32 teams who are in competition and our club is pulling itself up off the mat. They need our support. I am so looking forward to seeing the dog pound rocking and fans excited again.

    Fan negativism is not destructive. That has not a cabbage fart's effect on the team.

    Bad quarterback play, bad defense, injuries, bad talent evaluation.....those are destructive.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #15

    While I doubt the average Browns Board post has much effect, accumulative fan/ media "negativism" can impact players making a bad situation worse.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    Thanks Zombo but my goal was only 75 posts on my Browns. πŸ™‚

    I just wanted to try and wake some people up to how destructive that negativism is. We have 32 teams who are in competition and our club is pulling itself up off the mat. They need our support. I am so looking forward to seeing the dog pound rocking and fans excited again.

    Fan negativism is not destructive. That has not a cabbage fart's effect on the team.

    Bad quarterback play, bad defense, injuries, bad talent evaluation.....those are destructive.

    OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by OldBrownsFan
    #16

    @the-gipper said:

    Fan negativism is not destructive. That has not a cabbage fart's effect on the team.

    Bad quarterback play, bad defense, injuries, bad talent evaluation.....those are destructive.

    Even if it doesn't effect the team I don't see fan negativism as any kind of good thing.

    I never coached an NFL team but I have always thought a big part of the process is a coach who is able to week in and week out get the team to play at the highest level. Maybe fan support is good in that area? It wouldn't hurt.

  • Pettine's a good coach. Beat the Steelers and Bungles in his first year and had the Ravens on the ropes twice, once with Conner Freaking Shaw in the last game of the season on the road when other Browns teams would have quit.

    I'm just laughing at all the negativity from fans this offseason, and if Old Browns Fan wants to start 94 threads about why he loves the Browns I am going to let him.

    We set the ship straight a year ago when we put Farmer and Pettine in charge. To get 7 wins out of this team the first year without Mack, Cameron and Taylor nearly the whole season, and only negative production from Gordon, and a journeyman QB, and three playoff teams in the division ... not bad for Year One.

    This offseason stuff that some folks are flipping out about, well, it doesn't really affect what we are doing here with Farm and Pet.

    Shanahan leaving: I give no shits. Buh Bye, new guy will work better within the entire philosophy of the team.

    Farmer texting: I give no shits. I'm sure lots of execs did it (now they won't) Farmer got caught because Shanny was comparing pussy rashes with Mary Kay and it slipped out.

    Johnny in rehab: I give half a shit. Listen, it's not the end of the world if the QB we took at #22 busts out, we have more draft picks, there are more QBs. Farmer had the balls to draft him, I hope this doesn't make him shy away from such bold moves, because sometimes they hit. who knows, Manziel, may still hit, we've got him locked up if he does.

    Gordon failing: I give a shit, but i don't blame PetFarm. Wasn't drafted by these guys. You can't babysit a 23 year-old 24 hours a day.

    What else are we "mad" about? Rookie corner is immature? Stop the presses. Ticket prices raised? They were the lowest in the league, you can't hold the new ownership responsible for the product the old ownership gave us. This franchise needs to think and act like an elite franchise and they should be charging at least the the league average.

    I think Jimmy has balls, I think Farmer has balls, and I think Pettine has balls ... and I think now is the time to show your support, any front runners try to jump on the train next year, I'm going to kick them in the face.

    Zombo

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #17

    Zombo said:

    Pettine's a good coach. Beat the Steelers and Bungles in his first year and had the Ravens on the ropes twice, once with Conner Freaking Shaw in the last game of the season on the road when other Browns teams would have quit.

    I'm just laughing at all the negativity from fans this offseason, and if Old Browns Fan wants to start 94 threads about why he loves the Browns I am going to let him.

    We set the ship straight a year ago when we put Farmer and Pettine in charge. To get 7 wins out of this team the first year without Mack, Cameron and Taylor nearly the whole season, and only negative production from Gordon, and a journeyman QB, and three playoff teams in the division ... not bad for Year One.

    This offseason stuff that some folks are flipping out about, well, it doesn't really affect what we are doing here with Farm and Pet.

    Shanahan leaving: I give no shits. Buh Bye, new guy will work better within the entire philosophy of the team.

    Farmer texting: I give no shits. I'm sure lots of execs did it (now they won't) Farmer got caught because Shanny was comparing pussy rashes with Mary Kay and it slipped out.

    Johnny in rehab: I give half a shit. Listen, it's not the end of the world if the QB we took at #22 busts out, we have more draft picks, there are more QBs. Farmer had the balls to draft him, I hope this doesn't make him shy away from such bold moves, because sometimes they hit. who knows, Manziel, may still hit, we've got him locked up if he does.

    Gordon failing: I give a shit, but i don't blame PetFarm. Wasn't drafted by these guys. You can't babysit a 23 year-old 24 hours a day.

    What else are we "mad" about? Rookie corner is immature? Stop the presses. Ticket prices raised? They were the lowest in the league, you can't hold the new ownership responsible for the product the old ownership gave us. This franchise needs to think and act like an elite franchise and they should be charging at least the the league average.

    I think Jimmy has balls, I think Farmer has balls, and I think Pettine has balls ... and I think now is the time to show your support, any front runners try to jump on the train next year, I'm going to kick them in the face.

    Zombo

    You NAILED it Z!

    Mike

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Rename us to "The Cleveland Balls" just in time for the new logo?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Fan negativism is not destructive. That has not a cabbage fart's effect on the team.

    Bad quarterback play, bad defense, injuries, bad talent evaluation.....those are destructive.

    Even if it doesn't effect the team I don't see fan negativism as any kind of good thing.

    I never coached an NFL team but I have always thought a big part of the process is a coach who is able to week in and week out get the team to play at the highest level. Maybe fan support is good in that area? It wouldn't hurt.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @oldbrownsfan said:

    Even if it doesn't effect the team I don't see fan negativism as any kind of good thing.

    I never coached an NFL team but I have always thought a big part of the process is a coach who is able to week in and week out get the team to play at the highest level. Maybe fan support is good in that area? It wouldn't hurt.

    So, should we powder their butts as well. These are men, not babies. I don't think they should act like babies. They want their tushies powdered? Play well and win.....they will get all the powdering they can stand.

  • @oldbrownsfan said:

    Even if it doesn't effect the team I don't see fan negativism as any kind of good thing.

    I never coached an NFL team but I have always thought a big part of the process is a coach who is able to week in and week out get the team to play at the highest level. Maybe fan support is good in that area? It wouldn't hurt.

    So, should we powder their butts as well. These are men, not babies. I don't think they should act like babies. They want their tushies powdered? Play well and win.....they will get all the powdering they can stand.

    OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @the-gipper said:

    So, should we powder their butts as well. These are men, not babies. I don't think they should act like babies. They want their tushies powdered? Play well and win.....they will get all the powdering they can stand.

    I thought that's what they used those terrible towels for. πŸ™‚

  • Pettine's a good coach. Beat the Steelers and Bungles in his first year and had the Ravens on the ropes twice, once with Conner Freaking Shaw in the last game of the season on the road when other Browns teams would have quit.

    I'm just laughing at all the negativity from fans this offseason, and if Old Browns Fan wants to start 94 threads about why he loves the Browns I am going to let him.

    We set the ship straight a year ago when we put Farmer and Pettine in charge. To get 7 wins out of this team the first year without Mack, Cameron and Taylor nearly the whole season, and only negative production from Gordon, and a journeyman QB, and three playoff teams in the division ... not bad for Year One.

    This offseason stuff that some folks are flipping out about, well, it doesn't really affect what we are doing here with Farm and Pet.

    Shanahan leaving: I give no shits. Buh Bye, new guy will work better within the entire philosophy of the team.

    Farmer texting: I give no shits. I'm sure lots of execs did it (now they won't) Farmer got caught because Shanny was comparing pussy rashes with Mary Kay and it slipped out.

    Johnny in rehab: I give half a shit. Listen, it's not the end of the world if the QB we took at #22 busts out, we have more draft picks, there are more QBs. Farmer had the balls to draft him, I hope this doesn't make him shy away from such bold moves, because sometimes they hit. who knows, Manziel, may still hit, we've got him locked up if he does.

    Gordon failing: I give a shit, but i don't blame PetFarm. Wasn't drafted by these guys. You can't babysit a 23 year-old 24 hours a day.

    What else are we "mad" about? Rookie corner is immature? Stop the presses. Ticket prices raised? They were the lowest in the league, you can't hold the new ownership responsible for the product the old ownership gave us. This franchise needs to think and act like an elite franchise and they should be charging at least the the league average.

    I think Jimmy has balls, I think Farmer has balls, and I think Pettine has balls ... and I think now is the time to show your support, any front runners try to jump on the train next year, I'm going to kick them in the face.

    Zombo

    Sienn13S Sienn13 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    Zombo said:

    Pettine's a good coach. Beat the Steelers and Bungles in his first year and had the Ravens on the ropes twice, once with Conner Freaking Shaw in the last game of the season on the road when other Browns teams would have quit.

    I'm just laughing at all the negativity from fans this offseason, and if Old Browns Fan wants to start 94 threads about why he loves the Browns I am going to let him.

    We set the ship straight a year ago when we put Farmer and Pettine in charge. To get 7 wins out of this team the first year without Mack, Cameron and Taylor nearly the whole season, and only negative production from Gordon, and a journeyman QB, and three playoff teams in the division ... not bad for Year One.

    This offseason stuff that some folks are flipping out about, well, it doesn't really affect what we are doing here with Farm and Pet.

    Shanahan leaving: I give no shits. Buh Bye, new guy will work better within the entire philosophy of the team.

    Farmer texting: I give no shits. I'm sure lots of execs did it (now they won't) Farmer got caught because Shanny was comparing pussy rashes with Mary Kay and it slipped out.

    Johnny in rehab: I give half a shit. Listen, it's not the end of the world if the QB we took at #22 busts out, we have more draft picks, there are more QBs. Farmer had the balls to draft him, I hope this doesn't make him shy away from such bold moves, because sometimes they hit. who knows, Manziel, may still hit, we've got him locked up if he does.

    Gordon failing: I give a shit, but i don't blame PetFarm. Wasn't drafted by these guys. You can't babysit a 23 year-old 24 hours a day.

    What else are we "mad" about? Rookie corner is immature? Stop the presses. Ticket prices raised? They were the lowest in the league, you can't hold the new ownership responsible for the product the old ownership gave us. This franchise needs to think and act like an elite franchise and they should be charging at least the the league average.

    I think Jimmy has balls, I think Farmer has balls, and I think Pettine has balls ... and I think now is the time to show your support, any front runners try to jump on the train next year, I'm going to kick them in the face.

    Zombo

    Fucking A, bout time we had a coach that's worth a shit. Now all we need is him to knock the fuck out of Butch Davis and all will be right in the world.

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #22

    Last-Round.jpg

    THE FORMER PROBLEM...OH NO!!!!! 😡

    index_1.jpg

    THERE IS A NEW GUY IN TOWN 😎

  • LumberghL Lumbergh wrote on last edited by
    #23

    other than the mistake of starting Johnny Rehab against the bungles he did a hell of a job.

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    Pettine showed real class when he sat down with Shanahan and listened to why he wanted to opt out of his contract. Listening to Pettine at the podium reassured me that he's the right coach for the Browns.

    I read an article on espn that stated Shanahan was an habitual complainer. He complained about everything even the food. Whether this is true or not he definitely didn't want to stay and Pettine was going to force a guy who was unhappy into honoring his contract.

    I throw my support around Mike Pettine as do most Browns fans. He's tough minded, honest and fair. I hope that his input into this year's draft will bring us a Kevin White and an Eddie Goldman in the first round.

    Last year we had ten picks going in and ended up with six. How about we use all ten and start building a playoff caliber team. We have a good core of players and need these ten picks to strengthen the roster. Not having a contingency plan when Alex Mack went out really hurt our team. And it showed.

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    The best thing I like about Pet is: You practice well during the week to earn playing time.. It pushes competition like we see in West and Crow.. The Man is total Class with the Media, if they would stick to what is said only.

  • other than the mistake of starting Johnny Rehab against the bungles he did a hell of a job.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @lumbergh said:

    other than the mistake of starting Johnny Rehab against the bungles he did a hell of a job.

    I still believe Pet did not want to start him.. Check text messages πŸ˜†

  • OldBrownsFanO OldBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #27

    I wanted to see Manziel start the Bengals game and I am a big supporter of Hoyer. For whatever reason the performance of Hoyer went south the last part of the season. The Colts game was a huge disappointment the way the defense tried to hand us the game on a silver platter but we just could not get any offense. I thought maybe Manziel would be the spark we needed. Pettine was in between a rock and hard place on this call. If he wouldn't have started Manziel and Hoyer lost another game he would be second guessed all day long on why he didn't put in Manziel with Hoyer struggling. The thinking being why are you playing a Volkswagen Beetle when you have a Corvette just sitting there.

    Of course now we see the vette needed a tune up or maybe even an overhaul.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Hoyer's play had deteriorated to the point that there was no choice but to start JM against Cinci...