Skip to content
The Browns Board
Theme
  • System
  • Light
  • Dark
  • Login
  • Register
  • Forums
  • Recent
  • Popular
  • Users
  • Donate
  1. Home
  2. Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
  3. Oscar predictions

Oscar predictions

Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Westside Steve's Movie Reviews
24 Posts 7 Posters 972 Views
  • Oldest to Newest
  • Newest to Oldest
  • Most Votes
Reply
  • Reply as topic
Log in to reply
This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
  • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
    • 39k Posts
    • 9k Reputation
    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #1

    Last Minute Oscar Recap

    OK gang its 3 days before the Oscars and I'm sticking with my predictions. This could easily go south but I'm turning them in before the ceremony.

    Best Supporting Actress Patricia Arquette for BOYHOOD.

    Best Actress Julianne Moore for STILL ALICE.

    Best Supporting Actor JK Simmons for WHIPLASH.

    Best Actor Michael Keaton for BIRDMAN with Eddie Redmayne as the dark horse.

    Best Director.

    Alejandro González Iñárritu for BIRDMAN or Richard Linklater for BOYHOOD.

    My heart says Alejandro but I'm predicting Linklater.

    Best movie, though I hated it, BOYHOOD.

    ~it's Friday so I won't be able to edit this. Place your bets

    . WSS

    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
    1 Reply Last reply
    👍
    Quote Reply
    • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
      • 15k Posts
      • 2k Reputation
      T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by
      #2

      Everything to the mlk movie

      Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
      1 Reply Last reply
      Quote Reply
      • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
        • 57k Posts
        • 4k Reputation
        The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
        #3

        As noted, last year I do not think was a very good year for movies. 12 Years a Slave too me was just a boring graphic documentary on what happens to slave. The better movies imo were Dallas Buyers Club and Philomena.....but they are not by any means great movies.

        This year, from what I have seen so far, I am not impressed. The best of an average lot that I have seen has been The Imitation Game.

        Though I have not seen American Sniper, Whiplash, or Selma.

        And I go by pure entertainment value....not by whatever puffery the academy employs. The favorite you mention, Boyhood, was an absolute boring p.o.s. imo.

        1 Reply Last reply
        Quote Reply
        • WalterWhite WalterWhiteW
          • 3k Posts
          • 183 Reputation
          WalterWhiteW WalterWhite wrote on last edited by
          #4

          Hellen Keller vs. Nightwolves will win an award

          The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
          Quote Reply
          • Browns149 Browns149B Conversation Starter Dedicated Reacting Well Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
            • 10k Posts
            • 2k Reputation
            Browns149B Browns149 wrote on last edited by
            #5

            My predictions

            1 person wins all others lose

            1 film wins all others lose

            "And they don't really know even what they're talkin' about And I can't imagine what empty heads can achieve."
            1 Reply Last reply
            👍
            Quote Reply
            • JPPT1974 JPPT1974J Reacting Well Conversation Starter Collaborator First Post One Year In One Month Later Week One Done
              • 372 Posts
              • 51 Reputation
              JPPT1974J JPPT1974 wrote on last edited by
              #6

              Expect surprises if the Steve says that those are the front runner winners.

              School and Solar Eclipse
              C W 2 Replies Last reply
              Quote Reply
              • JPPT1974J JPPT1974

                Expect surprises if the Steve says that those are the front runner winners.

                Chicopee John C
                • 2k Posts
                • 104 Reputation
                C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
                #7

                @jppt1974 said:

                Expect surprises if the Steve says that those are the front runner winners.

                Rather than, simply, criticize others, why not try and offer YOUR views.

                If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

                "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                1 Reply Last reply
                Quote Reply
                • WalterWhiteW WalterWhite

                  Hellen Keller vs. Nightwolves will win an award

                  The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                  • 57k Posts
                  • 4k Reputation
                  The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                  #8

                  @walterwhite said:

                  Hellen Keller vs. Nightwolves will win an award

                  It may actually have as much entertainment value as those nominated.

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Quote Reply
                  • JPPT1974J JPPT1974

                    Expect surprises if the Steve says that those are the front runner winners.

                    Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                    • 39k Posts
                    • 9k Reputation
                    W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                    #9

                    @jppt1974 said:

                    Expect surprises if the Steve says that those are the front runner winners.

                    No shit Sherlock. You should always expect surprises I can imagine at least three of these pics going south Eddie Redmayne my easily win Best Actor even though I think sentiment goes to Michael Keaton. Even though I thought it was a boring piece of shit I think people were impressed by the amount of years it took to shoot Boyhood. I think it will win but like I said senriment might push Birdman over the top. (remember though, Birdman is New York based not Hollywood)

                    Best director will probably go to the guy whose picture lost.

                    My favorites, besides Birdman, are Whiplash and the Imitation game.

                    WSS

                    www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                    1 Reply Last reply
                    Quote Reply
                    • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                      • 39k Posts
                      • 9k Reputation
                      W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                      #10

                      So far so good. ..

                      WSS

                      www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Quote Reply
                      • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                        • 39k Posts
                        • 9k Reputation
                        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                        #11

                        Supporting Actor

                        J.K. Simmons, "Whiplash" (*WINNER)

                        Supporting Actress

                        Patricia Arquette, "Boyhood" (*WINNER)

                        Best Actress

                        Julianne Moore, "Still Alice" (*WINNER)

                        Best Actor

                        Eddie Redmayne, "The Theory of Everything" (*WINNER)

                        Best Director

                        Alejandro González Iñárritu, "Birdman" (*WINNER)

                        Best Picture

                        Birdman

                        (*WINNER)

                        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                        1 Reply Last reply
                        Quote Reply
                        • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                          • 39k Posts
                          • 9k Reputation
                          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                          #12

                          Oh well both my dark horses won by a nose.

                          🙁

                          WSS

                          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Quote Reply
                          • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                            • 39k Posts
                            • 9k Reputation
                            W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                            #13

                            West Side Steves final comments

                            Hi gang, sorry looks like I let you down. This really has been a nail biter for the last few weeks. There's no consensus on any of the Las Vegas or entertainment sites except that the top couple of contenders were neck and neck. I think I outsmarted myself on a couple picks. As I said before Eddie Redmayne did a hell of a job but I really thought settlement would carry Michael Keaton. Not to mention the excruciating task that he and Edward Norton had by playing that entire film as a Broadway play, (not shooting everything one line at a time and splicing it all in). That's something many don't notice right off the bat. I also thought the buzz over all the years it took to shoot Boyhood would have given it the edge. Still I'm glad Birdman won. As far as Best Direction sometimes the guy who directed the film that lost Best Picture might get a consolation prize. But not this time.

                            The other three, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress were no brainers and I'm usually pretty good with them for obvious reasons..

                            WSS

                            www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                            C 1 Reply Last reply
                            Quote Reply
                            • W Westside Steve

                              West Side Steves final comments

                              Hi gang, sorry looks like I let you down. This really has been a nail biter for the last few weeks. There's no consensus on any of the Las Vegas or entertainment sites except that the top couple of contenders were neck and neck. I think I outsmarted myself on a couple picks. As I said before Eddie Redmayne did a hell of a job but I really thought settlement would carry Michael Keaton. Not to mention the excruciating task that he and Edward Norton had by playing that entire film as a Broadway play, (not shooting everything one line at a time and splicing it all in). That's something many don't notice right off the bat. I also thought the buzz over all the years it took to shoot Boyhood would have given it the edge. Still I'm glad Birdman won. As far as Best Direction sometimes the guy who directed the film that lost Best Picture might get a consolation prize. But not this time.

                              The other three, Actress, Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress were no brainers and I'm usually pretty good with them for obvious reasons..

                              WSS

                              Chicopee John C
                              • 2k Posts
                              • 104 Reputation
                              C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by
                              #14

                              @westside-steve said:

                              Hi gang, sorry looks like I let you down.

                              Do better next year, Steve.

                              In the meantime, don't beat yourself up TOO much.

                              "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                              W 1 Reply Last reply
                              Quote Reply
                              • C Chicopee John

                                @westside-steve said:

                                Hi gang, sorry looks like I let you down.

                                Do better next year, Steve.

                                In the meantime, don't beat yourself up TOO much.

                                Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                • 39k Posts
                                • 9k Reputation
                                W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                                #15

                                @chicopee-john said:

                                Do better next year, Steve.

                                In the meantime, don't beat yourself up TOO much.

                                not a chance pal. How many people here predicted seattle even with the spread?

                                😉

                                WSS

                                www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                1 Reply Last reply
                                Quote Reply
                                • The Cysko Kid T Conversation Starter Reacting Well Dedicated Very Popular Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Week One Done One Month Later One Year In
                                  • 15k Posts
                                  • 2k Reputation
                                  T The Cysko Kid wrote on last edited by The Cysko Kid
                                  #16

                                  Unrelated I watched boyhood over the weekend and liked it. Kind of sad though I don't want to be reminded that my sons will grow up.

                                  Early man walked away as modern man took control. Their minds weren't all the same and to conquer was their goal. So He built his great empires and he slaughtered his own kind, and he died a confused man and killed himself in his own mind...
                                  1 Reply Last reply
                                  Quote Reply
                                  • The Gipper The GipperT In Memoriam Very Popular
                                    • 57k Posts
                                    • 4k Reputation
                                    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
                                    #17

                                    Actually, my subtitle for Birdman, now that it won is: The Not Unexpected Ascension of Pretension.

                                    (yes, I thought is was a pretentious average movie).

                                    C 1 Reply Last reply
                                    Quote Reply
                                    • The GipperT The Gipper

                                      Actually, my subtitle for Birdman, now that it won is: The Not Unexpected Ascension of Pretension.

                                      (yes, I thought is was a pretentious average movie).

                                      Chicopee John C
                                      • 2k Posts
                                      • 104 Reputation
                                      C Chicopee John wrote on last edited by Chicopee John
                                      #18

                                      @the-gipper said:

                                      Actually, my subtitle for Birdman, now that it won is: The Not Unexpected Ascension of Pretension.

                                      (yes, I thought is was a pretentious average movie).

                                      What did you find pretentious, Gip?

                                      I found it entertaining with a creative story line and editing.

                                      I am not a film critic nor do I see all that many. However, I found this to be a good movie. I'll leave it up to others to determine if it was the best film, or not.

                                      PS I also liked looking at Naomi Watts ( I would have had a boner too) and Emma Stone.

                                      "God is great. Beer is good. People are crazy."
                                      The GipperT 1 Reply Last reply
                                      Quote Reply
                                      • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                        • 39k Posts
                                        • 9k Reputation
                                        W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
                                        #19

                                        No worries about being a film critic, brother John. Criticism is truly pointless. Just that some people like to read it so they have other people do it. If you like asparagus better than broccoli how could you possibly be wrong? I've talked to people loved boyhood, but I hated it. Gipper didn't like Birdman. Oh well. He also drinks shitty beer... 😁

                                        WSS

                                        www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                        1 Reply Last reply
                                        Quote Reply
                                        • Westside Steve W Dedicated Reacting Well Posting Machine Collaborator First Post Conversation Starter Week One Done One Year In One Month Later Very Popular
                                          • 39k Posts
                                          • 9k Reputation
                                          W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
                                          #20

                                          I didn't like Selma, American sniper or the theory of everything either.

                                          WSS

                                          www.westsidesteve.com www.myspace.com/westsidestevemusic www.cdbaby.com/artist/westsidestevesimmons
                                          1 Reply Last reply
                                          Quote Reply

                                          Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                                          Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                                          With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                                          Register Login
                                          Reply
                                          • Reply as topic
                                          Log in to reply
                                          • Oldest to Newest
                                          • Newest to Oldest
                                          • Most Votes


                                          Theme
                                          • System
                                          • Light
                                          • Dark
                                          The Browns Board Terms Privacy

                                          The Browns Board is an independent fan community. It is not affiliated with, endorsed by, or sponsored by the Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Cavaliers, Cleveland Guardians, the NFL, NBA, MLB, or any of their affiliates. Team names, logos, and other marks are the property of their respective owners.

                                          • First post
                                            Last post
                                          0
                                          • Forums
                                          • Recent
                                          • Popular
                                          • Users
                                          • Donate