Oscar viewership down substantially
-
http://www.gallup.com/poll/151310/u.s.-republican-not-conservative.aspx
there's the Gallup poll. Your data is skewed a little bit, probably on purpose, because almost no one contributes to the Independent Party. Since there really isn't one.
WSS
I don't think anyone gave to the "Independent Party"....they gave to both parties.
And it isn't my data, it was Forbes data....you know, that bastion of liberalism

I don't think anyone gave to the "Independent Party"....they gave to both parties.
And it isn't my data, it was Forbes data....you know, that bastion of liberalism

Except that wasn't a one percent, (those making over 500000.) That was probably the .01 percent.
Anyway when you get down to it the Oscars really should be about what the industry feels is the best work and not the biggest seller. That's what you get with the Grammys and the Country Music Awards. If Jay Z or Kanye West Or Luke what's his name sell a billion records they win an award.
WSS
-
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/yearly/chart/?yr=2014
There's the box office numbers. I don't know that I could take award show seriously with the top 8 films as contenders.
WSS
-
I don't think anyone gave to the "Independent Party"....they gave to both parties.
And it isn't my data, it was Forbes data....you know, that bastion of liberalism

What happened in the last elections, Gip?
Right now, the Dems message fails to resonate outside the handful of 'Cultural Bubbles', just like the hard-left (I didn't say Democrats) messages spewed during the Awards Show keeps mainstream America from turning on their TV sets.
PS I also believe WSS has a good point about film distribution. Giving awards to movies that nobody has seen appears to be, well, prententious.
PPS FWIW, I am a registered Democrat.
What happened in the last elections, Gip?
WTF does that have to do with anything we are talking about?
Right now, the Dems message fails to resonate outside the handful of 'Cultural Bubbles', just like the hard-left (I didn't say Democrats) messages spewed during the Awards Show keeps mainstream America from turning on their TV sets.
Again..... we were talking about decorum. Lets see a rant about women's rights, abortion rights, gun control, etc. happen at a CMA ceremony and those yeehaws would be foaming at the mouth about it. It happened to the Dixie Chicks....it never happened at an Academy Award.....see where Charlton Heston got his lifetime achievement award. I see where his right wing politics didn't stand in the way of that.
PS I also believe WSS has a good point about film distribution. Giving awards to movies that nobody has seen appears to be, well, prententious.
I don't know about that....but giving awards to pretentious movies is pretentious.
PPS FWIW, I am a registered Democrat.
-
I don't think anyone gave to the "Independent Party"....they gave to both parties.
And it isn't my data, it was Forbes data....you know, that bastion of liberalism

Except that wasn't a one percent, (those making over 500000.) That was probably the .01 percent.
Anyway when you get down to it the Oscars really should be about what the industry feels is the best work and not the biggest seller. That's what you get with the Grammys and the Country Music Awards. If Jay Z or Kanye West Or Luke what's his name sell a billion records they win an award.
WSS
Except that wasn't a one percent, (those making over 500000.) That was probably the .01 percent.
Anyway when you get down to it the Oscars really should be about what the industry feels is the best work and not the biggest seller. That's what you get with the Grammys and the Country Music Awards. If Jay Z or Kanye West Or Luke what's his name sell a billion records they win an award.
WSS
I guess I don't see enough of the Grammys/CMAs to know....or pay attention to what the best sellers are. But I find it hard to believe that the "Best Song" categories just go to the best sellers. If that happens then I guess I am naive.
At least, I don't believe that should happen, any more than the Oscar going to the Best selling movie.
-
What happened in the last elections, Gip?
WTF does that have to do with anything we are talking about?
Right now, the Dems message fails to resonate outside the handful of 'Cultural Bubbles', just like the hard-left (I didn't say Democrats) messages spewed during the Awards Show keeps mainstream America from turning on their TV sets.
Again..... we were talking about decorum. Lets see a rant about women's rights, abortion rights, gun control, etc. happen at a CMA ceremony and those yeehaws would be foaming at the mouth about it. It happened to the Dixie Chicks....it never happened at an Academy Award.....see where Charlton Heston got his lifetime achievement award. I see where his right wing politics didn't stand in the way of that.
PS I also believe WSS has a good point about film distribution. Giving awards to movies that nobody has seen appears to be, well, prententious.
I don't know about that....but giving awards to pretentious movies is pretentious.
PPS FWIW, I am a registered Democrat.
What happened in the last elections, Gip?
WTF does that have to do with anything we are talking about?
Right now, the Dems message fails to resonate outside the handful of 'Cultural Bubbles', just like the hard-left (I didn't say Democrats) messages spewed during the Awards Show keeps mainstream America from turning on their TV sets.
Again..... we were talking about decorum. Lets see a rant about women's rights, abortion rights, gun control, etc. happen at a CMA ceremony and those yeehaws would be foaming at the mouth about it. It happened to the Dixie Chicks....it never happened at an Academy Award.....see where Charlton Heston got his lifetime achievement award. I see where his right wing politics didn't stand in the way of that.
PS I also believe WSS has a good point about film distribution. Giving awards to movies that nobody has seen appears to be, well, prententious.
I don't know about that....but giving awards to pretentious movies is pretentious.
PPS FWIW, I am a registered Democrat.
Another example of somebody who rails against 'intolerance' being intolerant.
Now it's 'yeehaws' who listen to 'Country Music'.
Where does it end?
Maybe you can find a place with 'like minded people'.
-
Can't agree with the Gipper about pretension. Sometimes I love things that make others cringe with embarrassment. Case in point that paraphrase I just used came from a Procol Harum album. Many people think Keith Reid writess extremely pretentious stuff.
Some literary professors love James Joyce. One of my favorite songs of all time is Mac Arthur park.
We already have a People's Choice Awards don't we? That would be a good place to give a statue to dumb and dumber, Need for Speed six or Julia Roberts and Hugh what's his name movies. The Oscars should really be set aside for worx that the insiders feel are different and outstanding. Quite often they are.
WSS
-
What happened in the last elections, Gip?
WTF does that have to do with anything we are talking about?
Right now, the Dems message fails to resonate outside the handful of 'Cultural Bubbles', just like the hard-left (I didn't say Democrats) messages spewed during the Awards Show keeps mainstream America from turning on their TV sets.
Again..... we were talking about decorum. Lets see a rant about women's rights, abortion rights, gun control, etc. happen at a CMA ceremony and those yeehaws would be foaming at the mouth about it. It happened to the Dixie Chicks....it never happened at an Academy Award.....see where Charlton Heston got his lifetime achievement award. I see where his right wing politics didn't stand in the way of that.
PS I also believe WSS has a good point about film distribution. Giving awards to movies that nobody has seen appears to be, well, prententious.
I don't know about that....but giving awards to pretentious movies is pretentious.
PPS FWIW, I am a registered Democrat.
Another example of somebody who rails against 'intolerance' being intolerant.
Now it's 'yeehaws' who listen to 'Country Music'.
Where does it end?
Maybe you can find a place with 'like minded people'.
Another example of somebody who rails against 'intolerance' being intolerant.
Yes You? You clearly do not wish to tolerate anyone with varying points of views from yours. YOU are the one that took offense at the fact that maybe all of 3 minutes of that boring Oscar presentation involved someone espousing a liberal point of view....something about equal pay for women. That is what started everything.
Now it's 'yeehaws' who listen to 'Country Music'.
I was born into a hillbilly family.....so yea, we saw nothing wrong with a few yeehaws.
Its like calling someone who likes heavy metal a "head banger".
Where does it end?
Maybe you can find a place with 'like minded people'.
Why would I want that. Sounds a bit boring. Besides, I don't always know what my own mind likes...until I figure it out.
-
Can't agree with the Gipper about pretension. Sometimes I love things that make others cringe with embarrassment. Case in point that paraphrase I just used came from a Procol Harum album. Many people think Keith Reid writess extremely pretentious stuff.
Some literary professors love James Joyce. One of my favorite songs of all time is Mac Arthur park.
We already have a People's Choice Awards don't we? That would be a good place to give a statue to dumb and dumber, Need for Speed six or Julia Roberts and Hugh what's his name movies. The Oscars should really be set aside for worx that the insiders feel are different and outstanding. Quite often they are.
WSS
Can't agree with the Gipper about pretension. Sometimes I love things that make others cringe with embarrassment. Case in point that paraphrase I just used came from a Procol Harum album. Many people think Keith Reid writess extremely pretentious stuff.
Some literary professors love James Joyce. One of my favorite songs of all time is Mac Arthur park.
We already have a People's Choice Awards don't we? That would be a good place to give a statue to dumb and dumber, Need for Speed six or Julia Roberts and Hugh what's his name movies. The Oscars should really be set aside for worx that the insiders feel are different and outstanding. Quite often they are.
WSS
I agree, quite often they are different and outstanding. While this year's nominees were frequently different (like Boyhood), I just didn't think they were outstanding. I did not think Birdman was outstanding. Over the past 20 years I would say that only about 5 or so of the Best Picture movies were outstanding in my view.
-
>> Besides, I don't always know what my own mind likes...until I figure it out.>>
Same with me!!
-
What was the result of that poll?
-
what poll?
WSS
-
I'm really not surprised, well maybe a little, but according to Forbes magazine the Academy Awards ratings dropped 16% over last year. I do think they are way too long, or more specifically way too uneventful. You get one award you might have heard of and then wait 3 hours for anything else. Also the two top contenders Birdman and boy hood weren't exactly fan favorites. Hell I had to drive to Valley View from akron to see birdman. The only place in the area one could see whiplash was Kent. And boyhood was a boring son of a bitch. And let's not forget Neil Patrick Harris. I've got nothing against the guy at all but an a-list star? Please. The homosexuals are all going to watch anyway. Get some shmuck that strikes a chord with the great unwashed. I thought the Lady gaga spot was a great idea, but they need more like that if they want people to tune in.
How do you know if Mktoxic watched or not?
How do you know if Mktoxic watched or not?
dude, why are you stalking me?
if i ever have the chance to meet you i'll roll your teeth down the hallway like chicklets.
PUNK.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login