Skip to content

Trade up for Danny Shelton

The Browns Board
70 24 3.5k
  • D BoneD D Bone wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Bless you

  • Malcolm Brown. I keep reading he's a 4-3 guy, very intense, 307m then I read

    where he's 330 and listed with NT's he's the type of player who loves the game.......

    NOTE: Shelton isn't easily gassed, he played somewhere around 80% of the plays !

    The Bears need him. The big NT from TB would be a great FA signing for the Bears

    or the Browns. But I would be delighted if Shelton fell to the Browns.

    No way the "easily gassed" thing applies to Shelton:

    ****************************************************

    "Shelton had nine sacks and 16.5 tackles for a loss as a senior. His endurance stands out to Mayock.
    Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota? No slam dunk at top of NFL draft
    Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota? No slam dunk at top of NFL draft
    β€œThere are very few guys that play that position at 350 pounds that can play plus or minus 80% of the snaps,” Mayock said. β€œIn the NFL -- Wilfork and the freak from Kansas City, Dontari Poe -- there aren't many guys with size that can play so much. This kid played 80% of the snaps up and down the line of scrimmage. You can't run against them, and he gets them pushing the pocket. So I think he's a really intriguing guy.”"
    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @calfoxwc said:

    Malcolm Brown. I keep reading he's a 4-3 guy, very intense, 307m then I read

    where he's 330 and listed with NT's he's the type of player who loves the game.......

    I like Brown too....he's been my #2 reality pick, after Shelton.......think he's a GREAT fit for the Browns

  • tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    The big difference between the two is Danny would be more of a 1i NT. While Malcolm would be our primary 3 tech, with Desmond, Winn, Monty and He switching out and playing the occasional 5 tech.

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Shelton is worthy of a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't trade anything to get up there for him. I agree we need a 0-tech, Hampton/Wilfork-type of NT. There are a few potentially good ones in this draft to anchor our defense...

    1 - Danny Shelton - I wish he was a little taller, but he has a great motor and is incredibly strong. He is the safest pick at this position

    2 - Jordan Phillips - Here is the guy I hope we can draft at 19, who I like better than M.Brown for our D. He's bigger and seems like a better athlete. I think he could be special.

    3 - Malcom Brown - slightly undersized for what we need. He is a 3-tech first, and probably just average lined up over center. The problem is we have a few 3-tech guys (Taylor, Hughes) who aren't very good over center. We need a guy who can line up over center to help with rush D first, then be able to play 3-tech and provide pressure. Brown seems like he could become that type of player, but I'm not sure I see it yet...

    4 - Eddie Goldman - I think he would be a better fit than Brown for our team, right now, but he is not special, like Brown "could become."

    5 - Carl Davis - Doesn't seem worthy of either 1st round pick, but if the above 4 guys were gone, he'd be worth a look in the 2nd or 3rd. He has the measurables, but reports are he lacks the motor needed to play this difficult position in the pros (an attribute we don't need on our team)

    6*(maybe) Ellis McCarthy - former 5-star recruit has all the measurables you want to see. Problem is he has had surgery on both of his knees and has had problems with his weight. But I will say, if he is not gone by the 5th I'd take a shot at him.

  • Shelton is worthy of a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't trade anything to get up there for him. I agree we need a 0-tech, Hampton/Wilfork-type of NT. There are a few potentially good ones in this draft to anchor our defense...

    1 - Danny Shelton - I wish he was a little taller, but he has a great motor and is incredibly strong. He is the safest pick at this position

    2 - Jordan Phillips - Here is the guy I hope we can draft at 19, who I like better than M.Brown for our D. He's bigger and seems like a better athlete. I think he could be special.

    3 - Malcom Brown - slightly undersized for what we need. He is a 3-tech first, and probably just average lined up over center. The problem is we have a few 3-tech guys (Taylor, Hughes) who aren't very good over center. We need a guy who can line up over center to help with rush D first, then be able to play 3-tech and provide pressure. Brown seems like he could become that type of player, but I'm not sure I see it yet...

    4 - Eddie Goldman - I think he would be a better fit than Brown for our team, right now, but he is not special, like Brown "could become."

    5 - Carl Davis - Doesn't seem worthy of either 1st round pick, but if the above 4 guys were gone, he'd be worth a look in the 2nd or 3rd. He has the measurables, but reports are he lacks the motor needed to play this difficult position in the pros (an attribute we don't need on our team)

    6*(maybe) Ellis McCarthy - former 5-star recruit has all the measurables you want to see. Problem is he has had surgery on both of his knees and has had problems with his weight. But I will say, if he is not gone by the 5th I'd take a shot at him.

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #15

    @thenew23 said:

    Shelton is worthy of a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't trade anything to get up there for him. I agree we need a 0-tech, Hampton/Wilfork-type of NT. There are a few potentially good ones in this draft to anchor our defense...

    1 - Danny Shelton - I wish he was a little taller, but he has a great motor and is incredibly strong. He is the safest pick at this position

    2 - Jordan Phillips - Here is the guy I hope we can draft at 19, who I like better than M.Brown for our D. He's bigger and seems like a better athlete. I think he could be special.

    3 - Malcom Brown - slightly undersized for what we need. He is a 3-tech first, and probably just average lined up over center. The problem is we have a few 3-tech guys (Taylor, Hughes) who aren't very good over center. We need a guy who can line up over center to help with rush D first, then be able to play 3-tech and provide pressure. Brown seems like he could become that type of player, but I'm not sure I see it yet...

    4 - Eddie Goldman - I think he would be a better fit than Brown for our team, right now, but he is not special, like Brown "could become."

    5 - Carl Davis - Doesn't seem worthy of either 1st round pick, but if the above 4 guys were gone, he'd be worth a look in the 2nd or 3rd. He has the measurables, but reports are he lacks the motor needed to play this difficult position in the pros (an attribute we don't need on our team)

    6*(maybe) Ellis McCarthy - former 5-star recruit has all the measurables you want to see. Problem is he has had surgery on both of his knees and has had problems with his weight. But I will say, if he is not gone by the 5th I'd take a shot at him.

    You should go watch some film on the two I've bolded. You will be seriously disappointed.

  • @thenew23 said:

    Shelton is worthy of a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't trade anything to get up there for him. I agree we need a 0-tech, Hampton/Wilfork-type of NT. There are a few potentially good ones in this draft to anchor our defense...

    1 - Danny Shelton - I wish he was a little taller, but he has a great motor and is incredibly strong. He is the safest pick at this position

    2 - Jordan Phillips - Here is the guy I hope we can draft at 19, who I like better than M.Brown for our D. He's bigger and seems like a better athlete. I think he could be special.

    3 - Malcom Brown - slightly undersized for what we need. He is a 3-tech first, and probably just average lined up over center. The problem is we have a few 3-tech guys (Taylor, Hughes) who aren't very good over center. We need a guy who can line up over center to help with rush D first, then be able to play 3-tech and provide pressure. Brown seems like he could become that type of player, but I'm not sure I see it yet...

    4 - Eddie Goldman - I think he would be a better fit than Brown for our team, right now, but he is not special, like Brown "could become."

    5 - Carl Davis - Doesn't seem worthy of either 1st round pick, but if the above 4 guys were gone, he'd be worth a look in the 2nd or 3rd. He has the measurables, but reports are he lacks the motor needed to play this difficult position in the pros (an attribute we don't need on our team)

    6*(maybe) Ellis McCarthy - former 5-star recruit has all the measurables you want to see. Problem is he has had surgery on both of his knees and has had problems with his weight. But I will say, if he is not gone by the 5th I'd take a shot at him.

    You should go watch some film on the two I've bolded. You will be seriously disappointed.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #16

    @tiamat63 said:

    You should go watch some film on the two I've bolded. You will be seriously disappointed.

    yep...I have the same feeling about Phillips....kind of a tweener project to my eye.....dont see it in the first round, but would have interest if he falls to the 2nd or 3rd round...

  • @thenew23 said:

    Shelton is worthy of a top 10 pick, but I wouldn't trade anything to get up there for him. I agree we need a 0-tech, Hampton/Wilfork-type of NT. There are a few potentially good ones in this draft to anchor our defense...

    1 - Danny Shelton - I wish he was a little taller, but he has a great motor and is incredibly strong. He is the safest pick at this position

    2 - Jordan Phillips - Here is the guy I hope we can draft at 19, who I like better than M.Brown for our D. He's bigger and seems like a better athlete. I think he could be special.

    3 - Malcom Brown - slightly undersized for what we need. He is a 3-tech first, and probably just average lined up over center. The problem is we have a few 3-tech guys (Taylor, Hughes) who aren't very good over center. We need a guy who can line up over center to help with rush D first, then be able to play 3-tech and provide pressure. Brown seems like he could become that type of player, but I'm not sure I see it yet...

    4 - Eddie Goldman - I think he would be a better fit than Brown for our team, right now, but he is not special, like Brown "could become."

    5 - Carl Davis - Doesn't seem worthy of either 1st round pick, but if the above 4 guys were gone, he'd be worth a look in the 2nd or 3rd. He has the measurables, but reports are he lacks the motor needed to play this difficult position in the pros (an attribute we don't need on our team)

    6*(maybe) Ellis McCarthy - former 5-star recruit has all the measurables you want to see. Problem is he has had surgery on both of his knees and has had problems with his weight. But I will say, if he is not gone by the 5th I'd take a shot at him.

    You should go watch some film on the two I've bolded. You will be seriously disappointed.

    thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @tiamat63 said:

    You should go watch some film on the two I've bolded. You will be seriously disappointed.

    I only watched Phillips play against Tennessee, and I saw a NT dominate an entire game. He was so disruptive early in the game, he forced the Vols to double and triple team him which made for an easy day for the rest of the D. When they tried to single him, I watched him force pressure on multiple occasions and made the QB hurry his throws... which ultimately led to a 100 yd pick-6 for Oklahoma. I did not see one run play in that game where he was pushed off the line of scrimmage...

    I'll watch more if I have time, but what I have seen is extremely impressive...

    @mudfly said:

    yep...I have the same feeling about Phillips....kind of a tweener project to my eye.....dont see it in the first round, but would have interest if he falls to the 2nd or 3rd round...

    Tweener? Between what? He has been a 3-4 NT his entire career at Oklahoma and he's almost 340 lbs... Lines up as a 0-tech almost every play...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    You should go watch some film on the two I've bolded. You will be seriously disappointed.

    I only watched Phillips play against Tennessee, and I saw a NT dominate an entire game. He was so disruptive early in the game, he forced the Vols to double and triple team him which made for an easy day for the rest of the D. When they tried to single him, I watched him force pressure on multiple occasions and made the QB hurry his throws... which ultimately led to a 100 yd pick-6 for Oklahoma. I did not see one run play in that game where he was pushed off the line of scrimmage...

    I'll watch more if I have time, but what I have seen is extremely impressive...

    @mudfly said:

    yep...I have the same feeling about Phillips....kind of a tweener project to my eye.....dont see it in the first round, but would have interest if he falls to the 2nd or 3rd round...

    Tweener? Between what? He has been a 3-4 NT his entire career at Oklahoma and he's almost 340 lbs... Lines up as a 0-tech almost every play...

    tiamat63T tiamat63 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    @thenew23 said:

    I only watched Phillips play against Tennessee, and I saw a NT dominate an entire game.

    One game? Yeah, check out other games where he isn't playing against one the worst offensive lines in the country.

    "The Vols ranked No. 118 in sacks allowed with a total of 42 and an average of 3.5 per game. Tennessee also ranked No. 124 in tackles for loss allowed"

  • @tiamat63 said:

    You should go watch some film on the two I've bolded. You will be seriously disappointed.

    I only watched Phillips play against Tennessee, and I saw a NT dominate an entire game. He was so disruptive early in the game, he forced the Vols to double and triple team him which made for an easy day for the rest of the D. When they tried to single him, I watched him force pressure on multiple occasions and made the QB hurry his throws... which ultimately led to a 100 yd pick-6 for Oklahoma. I did not see one run play in that game where he was pushed off the line of scrimmage...

    I'll watch more if I have time, but what I have seen is extremely impressive...

    @mudfly said:

    yep...I have the same feeling about Phillips....kind of a tweener project to my eye.....dont see it in the first round, but would have interest if he falls to the 2nd or 3rd round...

    Tweener? Between what? He has been a 3-4 NT his entire career at Oklahoma and he's almost 340 lbs... Lines up as a 0-tech almost every play...

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @thenew23 said:

    Tweener? Between what? He has been a 3-4 NT his entire career at Oklahoma and he's almost 340 lbs... Lines up as a 0-tech almost every play...

    my bad....complete brain fart there....you said Phillips and my brain thought Orchard....

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #20

    mudfly: that avatar kills me.

    don't know if it's a personal pic or some screenshot from a tarantino movie.

  • mudfly: that avatar kills me.

    don't know if it's a personal pic or some screenshot from a tarantino movie.

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @miktoxic said:

    mudfly: that avatar kills me.

    don't know if it's a personal pic or some screenshot from a tarantino movie.

    I believe it is Donte Whitner and somebody photoshopped a little hat on him.

    Would love to hear the story behind that.

    Zombo

  • mudfly: that avatar kills me.

    don't know if it's a personal pic or some screenshot from a tarantino movie.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @miktoxic said:

    mudfly: that avatar kills me.

    don't know if it's a personal pic or some screenshot from a tarantino movie.

    HA!..

    Zombo said:

    I believe it is Donte Whitner and somebody photoshopped a little hat on him.

    Would love to hear the story behind that.

    Zombo

    Yep..it's Donte and I added the hat....my little play on an old Wayans brothers skit from back in the day(In Living Color)....

    I love his tough guy image, but thought the hat would lighten his loafers a bit....πŸ˜‰

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #23

    Shelton, Brown or FA's T. Knighton from Denver or N. Fairley from Det. Youth or NFL Ready???

  • MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #24

    MTIwNjA4NjM4ODY4ODgyOTU2.jpg

    I think I just found my next hat....

  • @miktoxic said:

    mudfly: that avatar kills me.

    don't know if it's a personal pic or some screenshot from a tarantino movie.

    HA!..

    Zombo said:

    I believe it is Donte Whitner and somebody photoshopped a little hat on him.

    Would love to hear the story behind that.

    Zombo

    Yep..it's Donte and I added the hat....my little play on an old Wayans brothers skit from back in the day(In Living Color)....

    I love his tough guy image, but thought the hat would lighten his loafers a bit....πŸ˜‰

    Z Zombo wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @mudfly said:

    HA!..

    Yep..it's Donte and I added the hat....my little play on an old Wayans brothers skit from back in the day(In Living Color)....

    I love his tough guy image, but thought the hat would lighten his loafers a bit.... πŸ˜‰

    Two Snaps

    hqdefault.jpg

  • S SkippinTurtles wrote on last edited by
    #26

    Stud NT's like Vince Wilfork and Casey Hampton are the heart of great 3-4 defenses. Shelton fits the bill. Rare talent and a character guy. He's a physical freak who loves taking on double teams. He'll stuff the run and keep QB's from stepping up in the pocket. Every shitty defense ever is soft in the middle.

  • @miktoxic said:

    mudfly: that avatar kills me.

    don't know if it's a personal pic or some screenshot from a tarantino movie.

    HA!..

    Zombo said:

    I believe it is Donte Whitner and somebody photoshopped a little hat on him.

    Would love to hear the story behind that.

    Zombo

    Yep..it's Donte and I added the hat....my little play on an old Wayans brothers skit from back in the day(In Living Color)....

    I love his tough guy image, but thought the hat would lighten his loafers a bit....πŸ˜‰

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @mudfly said:

    HA!..

    Yep..it's Donte and I added the hat....my little play on an old Wayans brothers skit from back in the day(In Living Color)....

    I love his tough guy image, but thought the hat would lighten his loafers a bit.... πŸ˜‰

    OMG! Everytime I look at your avatar I think of "In Living Color" & the guy with the hat, but my fave on tthat show was Anton.

    Mike

  • @mudfly said:

    HA!..

    Yep..it's Donte and I added the hat....my little play on an old Wayans brothers skit from back in the day(In Living Color)....

    I love his tough guy image, but thought the hat would lighten his loafers a bit.... πŸ˜‰

    OMG! Everytime I look at your avatar I think of "In Living Color" & the guy with the hat, but my fave on tthat show was Anton.

    Mike

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @canton-mike said:

    OMG! Everytime I look at your avatar I think of "In Living Color" & the guy with the hat, but my fave on tthat show was Anton.

    Mike

    mine was this guy: fire marshall bill.

    Fire_Marshall_Bill_by_Kaotik1302.jpg

  • ballpeenB ballpeen wrote on last edited by
    #29

    Let me tell you chomting.

  • S SkippinTurtles wrote on last edited by
    #30

    In Livning Color did a show during halftime of the Redskins-Bills Super Bowl that was better than any halftime show ever.