Skip to content

What was the hurry (motive) in signing Josh McCown?

The Browns Board
45 28 1.9k
  • @cambridgeho said:

    Jesus, 3 differnent threads about a back up.

    and you should see how many there are for his backup......

    miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @mudfly said:

    and you should see how many there are for his backup......

    for real.

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #18

    Why not just suit up O'Connell?

  • Why not just suit up O'Connell?

    Canton MikeC Canton Mike wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Why not just suit up O'Connell?

    That's funny. As soon as I saw his age, I expected someone to suggest that very thing.

    Mike

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #20

    He truly would be a player coach.

  • cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    I'd like to kick the tires on Alex Taney. The guy can hit a wr sitting in the back of a pickup doing 40mph from 60+ yds away.

  • I'd like to kick the tires on Alex Taney. The guy can hit a wr sitting in the back of a pickup doing 40mph from 60+ yds away.

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @cdl15 said:

    I'd like to kick the tires on Alex Taney. The guy can hit a wr sitting in the back of a pickup doing 40mph from 60+ yds away.

    We did. Two years ago.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by
    #23

    and isn't Thigpen still on the roster?

    WSS

  • AxeA Axe wrote on last edited by
    #24

    I pray that McCown gives the Browns more than he gave the Bucs..

  • He truly would be a player coach.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He truly would be a player coach.

    Who was the last NFL player-coach?

    Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

    Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #26

    He did good in Chicago

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    Despite what people on this board say he's a solid back-up level talent in the NFL and about the top of the FA QB's this year. It's obvious Hoyer wasn't in play, and signing McCown at least gives the team a QB to trot out there if Manziel doesn't pan out and we are bridging the gap.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He truly would be a player coach.

    Who was the last NFL player-coach?

    Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

    Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @tour2ma said:

    Who was the last NFL player-coach?

    Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

    Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

    To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware there ever was one.

    The more interesting question, in my opinion...Could we list O'Connell as our emergency QB?

  • He did good in Chicago

    bbedwardB bbedward wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @lbc-mike said:

    He did good in Chicago

    In a much,much better situation. With a running game and one of the best receiving corps in the league.

    His good stretch in Chicago could be compared to Hoyer's good stretch in Cleveland. It's very clear that McCown is a backup - and we should expect him to play like one if he gets the call.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He truly would be a player coach.

    Who was the last NFL player-coach?

    Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

    Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @tour2ma said:

    Who was the last NFL player-coach?

    Cant remember one myself....tho did find a blurb about Tom Landry being a player/defensive coach....

    But I think it's against the rules now

    I do remember hearing something somewhere that Player Coaches are not allowed by the CBA or the NFL....lots of rules that would overlap and create problems both during games and in the off season......

    Examples: coaches cant talk to or have players in during off season......coaches can't communicate with players on others teams......coaches cant be on the field.......only one player in each huddle can talk to the coach......etc etc etc.....

    too many loopholes....teams would create player coaches just to circumvent a lot of rules I think....

  • @tour2ma said:

    Who was the last NFL player-coach?

    Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

    Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

    To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware there ever was one.

    The more interesting question, in my opinion...Could we list O'Connell as our emergency QB?

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    To tell you the truth, I wasn't aware there ever was one.

    The more interesting question, in my opinion...Could we list O'Connell as our emergency QB?

    LOL had to check Wiki to make sure my feeble memory wasn't playing tricks on me- I was right- Curly Lambeau. Player-Coach Packers. 🙂

  • mohicanM mohican wrote on last edited by
    #32

    could a player/coach text himself the plays?

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He truly would be a player coach.

    Who was the last NFL player-coach?

    Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

    Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #33

    @tour2ma said:

    Who was the last NFL player-coach?

    Last player-coach I can remember in Cleveland was Lenny Wilkins. Before that Frank Robinson...

    Need to fire up the Gip-signal...

    Google is your friend as well as mine:

    In the early days of professional American football, player-coaches were common. During the 1920s, legendary player-coaches in the NFL include Curly Lambeau (who played for the Green Bay Packers from 1919–1929, and served as their head coach from 1919–1949) and George Halas who held similar roles for the Chicago Bears, a team for which he was also part-owner and business manager. Jimmy Conzelman was player-coach for four different teams during the 1920s. As professional football became more respectable, and began to make more money, player-coaches (especially head coaches) became rare. In the mid-1950s Tom Landry played defensive back while serving as defensive coordinator for the New York Giants. In the early 1970s, when Landry was coach of the Dallas Cowboys, he made running back Dan Reeves a player-coach. More modern players have acted as player-coaches in an unofficial capacity, such as journeyman quarterback Steve DeBerg, who served as an unofficial mentor for younger, more skilled arms while also serving as their backup.

    So the answer seems to be Dan Reeves....officially.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #34

    Huh... I never would have though of Reeves.

    From Mud's post it might be OK today so long as the player/coach never talked to himself...

  • nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #35

    Johnny is too fragile to be an NFL QB.. he's done... this is a bridge until Haslam drafts some other idiot.

  • S secondwave wrote on last edited by
    #36

    So does this mean we should be (as Browns fans) 'all in' with Manziel this year?

    Mkay...I'll give it my best shot.