Skip to content

Who are Your Elite Members of the Class of '015?

The Browns Board
21 11 576
  • Mud-I think Waynes is gone by 19.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @texasag1969 said:

    Mud-I think Waynes is gone by 19.

    @gftchris said:

    And collins!

    Yeah....Im not saying they'll still be there(though its very possible)...or even that WE should pick em if they are......just saying that they are the best at their position, but not what I consider elite(or top 10ish).......though at #19, they really look good

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #10

    Doesn't someone put a numerical rating on draft prospects?

    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/nfp-prospect-grading-system/

  • Elite can mean a lot of things to a lot of people.......so, for me, an Elite prospect isn't just the best at his position, but is a stand out talent period.......usually the draft holds less than 10 of these types and this year feels about the same......I have 7 or 8 that I like at the 12th pick, then feel like the talent really levels out and the next 30-40 players are really just who you like.....my top 7 are...

    Leonard Williams

    Dante Fowler

    Kevin White

    Danny Shelton

    Jameis Winston

    Vic Beasley

    Randy Gregory

    And Id take Mariota at 12, but dont really believe he's the 12th best player or an elite QB.....but I would still try.....

    And at #19, I'd consider nabbing some of the better position players like...

    Gurley-RB

    Waynes-CB

    Collins-SS

    S secondwave wrote on last edited by
    #11

    @mudfly said:

    Elite can mean a lot of things to a lot of people.......so, for me, an Elite prospect isn't just the best at his position, but is a stand out talent period.......usually the draft holds less than 10 of these types and this year feels about the same......I have 7 or 8 that I like at the 12th pick, then feel like the talent really levels out and the next 30-40 players are really just who you like.....my top 7 are...

    Leonard Williams

    Dante Fowler

    Kevin White

    Danny Shelton

    Jameis Winston

    Vic Beasley

    Randy Gregory

    And Id take Mariota at 12, but dont really believe he's the 12th best player or an elite QB.....but I would still try.....

    And at #19, I'd consider nabbing some of the better position players like...

    Gurley-RB

    Waynes-CB

    Collins-SS

    yeah, elite is very 'open to interpretation', especially when dealing with college players, but i'll give it a shot.

    Todd Gurley

    Amari Cooper

    Kevin White

    Leonard Williams

    Danny Shelton

    Vic Beasley

  • thenew23T thenew23 wrote on last edited by
    #12

    To me, "elite" means there aren't noticeable flaws in a players game and you would feel safe taking them at the top of the draft even if the position they play isn't a need. Id say there are maybe 5 "elite" players in this draft:

    Jameis Winston

    Leonard Williams

    Amari Cooper

    Danny Shelton

    Dante Fowler

    And a few close-to-elite:

    Mariota

    White

    Gordon

    Peat

    Waynes

    Ray

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #13

    I choose to take elite as players who will be good, solid pros in the the NFL. With that being said, here's my short list in no particular order.

    Jameis Winston

    Danny Shelton

    Tyler Lockette

    Leonard Williams

    Amari Cooper

    Shaq Thompson

    Melvin Gordon

    David Cobb

  • cdl15C cdl15 wrote on last edited by
    #14

    Wake Forrest CB Kevin Johnson.

    Georgia Tech Wr Darren Wallen.

    Ohio State Wr Cory Smith.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #15

    what list?

    top 5, 10, 25...first round?

    i needs to get more specific.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #16

    Didn't think it was that hard of a question...

    Elite (adjective): representing the most choice or select; best: "an elite group of authors."

    As intimated in my earlier posts, Shelton and Williams lead my list.. and are my list on the D-side. There are a couple more DL that are close and a couple LBs that are close, but probable position changes (Fowler) raise issues. I do not see any elite secondary.

    On the O-side I'll add:

    • Winston... because on-field, I do not think there are any questions;
    • Gurley;
    • Kevin White.
    No O-line or TE this year.

    So for me it's five players total. I thought when the thread started I'd have more, but no... "Gun to my head" to add a sixth and I'd add Beasley.

    A RB is the odd inclusion I found myself making as I would pass on Gurley at 12 (and 19) without a second thought. Just speaks to the total devaluation of the position in today's game.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #17

    It is difficult to say who is elite......I think "elite" can only be determined a few years down the road....and often the elite players will not be those taken highly. Here are probably the 6 top players...."elite" from the last few drafts...and where they were taken:

    2014

    Zack Martin 1st

    CJ Mosley 1st

    ODell Beckham 1st

    Aaron Donald 1st

    Cory Linsly 6th round

    Jeremy Hill 2d

    2013

    Eddy Lacy 2d

    Leveon Bell 2d

    Kyle Long 1st

    Travis Frederick 1st

    David Bakhtari 4th round

    DJ Fluker 1st

    2012

    Russell Wilson 3rd round

    Andrew Luck 1st

    Ryan Tannehill 1st

    Bobby Wagner 2d

    Dontari Poe 1st

    TY Hilton 3rd round

    2011

    JJ Watt 1st

    Cam Newton 1st

    Richard Sherman 5th round

    Patrick Peterson 1st

    Von Miller 1st

    AJ Green 1st

    So, while, yes, more likely an elite player will be a first rounder, not all elite players will be.

    In the Browns case, unfortunately, they have drafted what can be considered an "elite" player.....a person that performed amongst the Top Ten of their draft class just one time: that being Joe Thomas.

    Joe Haden doesn't make the top 20 of his draft class. As good as he is, his year also saw the likes of Suh, Earl Thomas, Maurkice Pouncey, Navarro Bowman, Dez Bryant, Mike Iupati, Demaryius Thomas, Antonio Brown, Rob Gronkowski, Jason Paul-Piere, Daryl Washington drafted as well.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I'd add Kuechly to the 2012 list, off the top of my head.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #19

    History merely confirms or corrects impressions of the time... and we can still argue years later whether a player is elite or not, e.g., Newton, Tannehill, Hilton, Lacy, and Linsley(?).

  • I'd add Kuechly to the 2012 list, off the top of my head.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @gftchris said:

    I'd add Kuechly to the 2012 list, off the top of my head.

    Yes, he was in there. I just forgot to type his name when going down my list. Oops.

  • History merely confirms or corrects impressions of the time... and we can still argue years later whether a player is elite or not, e.g., Newton, Tannehill, Hilton, Lacy, and Linsley(?).

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @tour2ma said:

    History merely confirms or corrects impressions of the time.

    And is written by the victors.