Skip to content

AFC North Free Agency Scoreboard

The Browns Board
117 16 4.2k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Browns lose FB Ray Agnew to Dallas and Ahtyba Rubin to Seattle, noted.

    Say it with me Mud. Draft FB Tyler Varga.. Yale Football Rules!!

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #53

    @gumby73 said:

    Say it with me Mud. Draft FB Tyler Varga.. Yale Football Rules!!

    The FB the Ravens drafted from Harvard, Jusczyk I believe, did quite well. He went to Cloverleaf HS in Medina Count.

    (and is this Varga another son of Huggie Bear?)

  • But are there plans to use him as a RB?

    @the-gipper said:

    Browns lose FB Ray Agnew to Dallas...

    Addition by subtraction...

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @tour2ma said:

    But are there plans to use him as a RB?

    well....he is a FB who can run.....(and block and catch)...(and he plays like a Brown)...(really)....

    But no, not your TE hybrid type.....I know....

    Still like him.....gritty, smart, strong, tough, versatile......there's gotta be spot for him.....

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #55

    Point was that he runs around a 4.6 with good acceleration and decent agility. So he's on the high end of the RB range as far as speed goes, but he's on the small side at 5'11, 222 for a NFL FB or H-back.

    Just seems to me more of a RB candidate... not sure about being a 5th Rnd RB candidate tho...

  • gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by
    #56

    Two words, Smash mouth. Let him lead block for Crow or West, he's blowing up somebody. Good hands for screens flipo style. Build like a brick shithouse.. Great to see D. Sills a Bengal, great news on his daughter Stay Strong...

  • Point was that he runs around a 4.6 with good acceleration and decent agility. So he's on the high end of the RB range as far as speed goes, but he's on the small side at 5'11, 222 for a NFL FB or H-back.

    Just seems to me more of a RB candidate... not sure about being a 5th Rnd RB candidate tho...

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by Mudfly
    #57

    @tour2ma said:

    Just seems to me more of a RB candidate... not sure about being a 5th Rnd RB candidate tho...

    Yeah....probably more of a RB, simply because he actually can run....he's smallish(yes), but built like an ox and tough as nails....I think he'll play bigger.....

    Plus, I'd like to add a Yaley to the mix....he can be Bryants brainy Ivy league counterpart for the O....

    @gumby73 said:

    Two words....Smash mouth.

    yeppers....would look good in my favorite color....December Orange....

  • Bengals still seem the most ahead of the game.....signing good players in AJ Hawk, Michael Johnson, Ghee. Only loss is below average player Marshall Newhouse.

    I assess Browns in the Equilibrium thread.

    Ravens continue to bleed. They have lost 10 players, a few above average, acquired only one average at best player.

    Steelers are just in stagnation mode. Signed just one player. An aged, but possibly useful backup RB. Lost one average DB to another team (who may have actually been their best DB) and one decent LB to retirement.

    But....I note that they have about 10 UFAs on their team that nobody else seems to want. Only Brice McCain, that DB was signed by someone else.

    To rank at this point I would say:

    1. Bengals, slightly over Browns

    2. Browns

    3. Steelers

    4. Ravens

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #58

    @the-gipper said:

    Bengals still seem the most ahead of the game.....signing good players in AJ Hawk, Michael Johnson, Ghee. Only loss is below average player Marshall Newhouse.

    I assess Browns in the Equilibrium thread.

    Ravens continue to bleed. They have lost 10 players, a few above average, acquired only one average at best player.

    Steelers are just in stagnation mode. Signed just one player. An aged, but possibly useful backup RB. Lost one average DB to another team (who may have actually been their best DB) and one decent LB to retirement.

    But....I note that they have about 10 UFAs on their team that nobody else seems to want. Only Brice McCain, that DB was signed by someone else.

    To rank at this point I would say:

    1. Bengals, slightly over Browns

    2. Browns

    3. Steelers

    4. Ravens

    Are you really ranking free agency activity? The steelers almost never play in fa. We signed moats, McCain was not our best corner this past season Gay was and Williams is the perfect compliment to Bell. We extended Ben and just signed Harrison. The Steelers build through the draft. Teams that build through fa lose for a reason. Name a team that has gone nuts in fa that has won anything recently worth discussing. Signing a ton of players in fa usually indicates the team does a less than satisfactory job of drafting and developing players.
  • @the-gipper said:

    Bengals still seem the most ahead of the game.....signing good players in AJ Hawk, Michael Johnson, Ghee. Only loss is below average player Marshall Newhouse.

    I assess Browns in the Equilibrium thread.

    Ravens continue to bleed. They have lost 10 players, a few above average, acquired only one average at best player.

    Steelers are just in stagnation mode. Signed just one player. An aged, but possibly useful backup RB. Lost one average DB to another team (who may have actually been their best DB) and one decent LB to retirement.

    But....I note that they have about 10 UFAs on their team that nobody else seems to want. Only Brice McCain, that DB was signed by someone else.

    To rank at this point I would say:

    1. Bengals, slightly over Browns

    2. Browns

    3. Steelers

    4. Ravens

    Are you really ranking free agency activity? The steelers almost never play in fa. We signed moats, McCain was not our best corner this past season Gay was and Williams is the perfect compliment to Bell. We extended Ben and just signed Harrison. The Steelers build through the draft. Teams that build through fa lose for a reason. Name a team that has gone nuts in fa that has won anything recently worth discussing. Signing a ton of players in fa usually indicates the team does a less than satisfactory job of drafting and developing players.
    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @vagitron said:

    Signing a ton of players in fa usually indicates the team does a less than satisfactory job of drafting and developing players.

    Not really... There are many reasons a team can come to need FAs... up to and including the exact opposite of your reason. Namely that team has been so good at identifying and developing talent that they cannot afford to keep them all.

    Other reasons off the top of my head:

    - injury replacements;

    - final pieces for a push by a team that's almost there (real or perceived);

    - mentorship;

    - stewardship.

    I think Harrison and Keisel were terrific examples of the latter for you last season.

  • @vagitron said:

    Signing a ton of players in fa usually indicates the team does a less than satisfactory job of drafting and developing players.

    Not really... There are many reasons a team can come to need FAs... up to and including the exact opposite of your reason. Namely that team has been so good at identifying and developing talent that they cannot afford to keep them all.

    Other reasons off the top of my head:

    - injury replacements;

    - final pieces for a push by a team that's almost there (real or perceived);

    - mentorship;

    - stewardship.

    I think Harrison and Keisel were terrific examples of the latter for you last season.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #60

    @tour2ma said:

    Not really... There are many reasons a team can come to need FAs... up to and including the exact opposite of your reason. Namely that team has been so good at identifying and developing talent that they cannot afford to keep them all.

    Other reasons off the top of my head:

    - injury replacements;

    - final pieces for a push by a team that's almost there (real or perceived);

    - mentorship;

    - stewardship.

    I think Harrison and Keisel were terrific examples of the latter for you last season.

    Name a team that has drafted so well that they couldn't keep all their players and instead of just restocking in the draft they turned to free agency. I don't disagree on the veteran precence or the final piece. My point was teams that go hard in free agency usually aren't very good or completely changing their system. Chip kelly is a strange example of exactly that process.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #61

    First... when I read "usually" it means majority of the time to me... that is why I disagreed. If you're meaning plurality, then I have little issue with that.

    I think the current Seattle team is an example of a team that has been forced to dip into FA because they were too successful developing players... and they have not even locked up their franchise QB as yet. Once they do that, they will see even more talent leave to get paid.

    Chip Kelly's approach is just strange, period... whether there's genius in his brand of oddity is TBD.

  • First... when I read "usually" it means majority of the time to me... that is why I disagreed. If you're meaning plurality, then I have little issue with that.

    I think the current Seattle team is an example of a team that has been forced to dip into FA because they were too successful developing players... and they have not even locked up their franchise QB as yet. Once they do that, they will see even more talent leave to get paid.

    Chip Kelly's approach is just strange, period... whether there's genius in his brand of oddity is TBD.

    VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @tour2ma said:

    First... when I read "usually" it means majority of the time to me... that is why I disagreed. If you're meaning plurality, then I have little issue with that.

    I think the current Seattle team is an example of a team that has been forced to dip into FA because they were too successful developing players... and they have not even locked up their franchise QB as yet. Once they do that, they will see even more talent leave to get paid.

    Chip Kelly's approach is just strange, period... whether there's genius in his brand of oddity is TBD.

    Seattle hasn't really dipped into fa to replace players lost though, unless I'm really missing who they have signed. Graham was just a major upgrade and they did sign Rubin but they aren't going nuts. I'd say that's not a good example.

  • U Unsympathetic wrote on last edited by
    #63

    Gresham would be a good value pickup.. Nowhere near Clay or Cameron money, closer to Bowe's contract.. but still a mismatch for a LB.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Bengals still seem the most ahead of the game.....signing good players in AJ Hawk, Michael Johnson, Ghee. Only loss is below average player Marshall Newhouse.

    I assess Browns in the Equilibrium thread.

    Ravens continue to bleed. They have lost 10 players, a few above average, acquired only one average at best player.

    Steelers are just in stagnation mode. Signed just one player. An aged, but possibly useful backup RB. Lost one average DB to another team (who may have actually been their best DB) and one decent LB to retirement.

    But....I note that they have about 10 UFAs on their team that nobody else seems to want. Only Brice McCain, that DB was signed by someone else.

    To rank at this point I would say:

    1. Bengals, slightly over Browns

    2. Browns

    3. Steelers

    4. Ravens

    Are you really ranking free agency activity? The steelers almost never play in fa. We signed moats, McCain was not our best corner this past season Gay was and Williams is the perfect compliment to Bell. We extended Ben and just signed Harrison. The Steelers build through the draft. Teams that build through fa lose for a reason. Name a team that has gone nuts in fa that has won anything recently worth discussing. Signing a ton of players in fa usually indicates the team does a less than satisfactory job of drafting and developing players.
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #64

    @vagitron said:

    Are you really ranking free agency activity?

    Yes, this is a sports talk/football forum. Of course we rank free agency....as does every network that covers football.

    The steelers almost never play in fa.

    So what?

    We signed moats, McCain was not our best corner this past season Gay was and Williams is the perfect compliment to Bell. We extended Ben and just signed Harrison.

    So? Do you have a point? We have already pointed out those moves (not the BR thing....because he was not a FA)(if McCain was not best, who was)

    The Steelers build through the draft. Teams that build through fa lose for a reason. Name a team that has gone nuts in fa that has won anything recently worth discussing.

    The New England Patriots have been fairly active in FA during their run.

    As long as they have Brady, and as long as the Steelers have BR....anything either of them does in the draft of FA is side salad, not main course.

    Signing a ton of players in fa usually indicates the team does a less than satisfactory job of drafting and developing players.

    Or, it could mean that the players they drafted and developed became free agents and they had to replace them.

    The Browns lost good players to FA that they signed and developed. Sheard, Skrine, Cameron, Rubin.

    Browns have done as good or better at drafting and developing players than the Steelers have.....except for offensive skill players....where they keep getting unlucky. (you can go down the list....Quinn, Weeden, Richardson, Manziel etc.) Even when they get a good one.....Gordon....things get screwed up.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Not really... There are many reasons a team can come to need FAs... up to and including the exact opposite of your reason. Namely that team has been so good at identifying and developing talent that they cannot afford to keep them all.

    Other reasons off the top of my head:

    - injury replacements;

    - final pieces for a push by a team that's almost there (real or perceived);

    - mentorship;

    - stewardship.

    I think Harrison and Keisel were terrific examples of the latter for you last season.

    Name a team that has drafted so well that they couldn't keep all their players and instead of just restocking in the draft they turned to free agency. I don't disagree on the veteran precence or the final piece. My point was teams that go hard in free agency usually aren't very good or completely changing their system. Chip kelly is a strange example of exactly that process.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #65

    @vagitron said:

    Name a team that has drafted so well that they couldn't keep all their players and instead of just restocking in the draft they turned to free agency. I don't disagree on the veteran precence or the final piece. My point was teams that go hard in free agency usually aren't very good or completely changing their system. Chip kelly is a strange example of exactly that process.

    You think that "just restocking in the draft" is the only way to build a team? It isn't.

    But, lets say a team tries to "restock" in a draft. The Browns, this year, would need to draft a cornerback, two defensive linemen and a tight end....all who would need to come in and contribute at a veteran level.

    The Browns don't do that....a btw, neither do the Steelers. Are you going to draft guys to replace Keisel and McCain and whomever else you have lost? Not likely.

  • @tour2ma said:

    First... when I read "usually" it means majority of the time to me... that is why I disagreed. If you're meaning plurality, then I have little issue with that.

    I think the current Seattle team is an example of a team that has been forced to dip into FA because they were too successful developing players... and they have not even locked up their franchise QB as yet. Once they do that, they will see even more talent leave to get paid.

    Chip Kelly's approach is just strange, period... whether there's genius in his brand of oddity is TBD.

    Seattle hasn't really dipped into fa to replace players lost though, unless I'm really missing who they have signed. Graham was just a major upgrade and they did sign Rubin but they aren't going nuts. I'd say that's not a good example.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #66

    @vagitron said:

    Seattle hasn't really dipped into fa to replace players lost though, unless I'm really missing who they have signed. Graham was just a major upgrade and they did sign Rubin but they aren't going nuts. I'd say that's not a good example.

    So? Who do you think IS going "nuts".

    The Browns certainly are not going "nuts". They have simply tried to replace some of the players they lost to FA.

    Do you think that is a problem? I think it is called prudent.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #67

    Pittsburgh Steelers re-signing of James Harrison is the only move made by an AFCN team over the weekend.

  • Gresham would be a good value pickup.. Nowhere near Clay or Cameron money, closer to Bowe's contract.. but still a mismatch for a LB.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #68

    @unsympathetic said:

    Gresham would be a good value pickup.. Nowhere near Clay or Cameron money, closer to Bowe's contract.. but still a mismatch for a LB.

    Gresham is undergoing surgery on his back this week. The Raiders seem to be the only team interested, but they won't bite until after surgery and rehab. I would not expect Gresham to sigh anywhere perhaps until training camp.

  • VagitronV Vagitron wrote on last edited by Vagitron
    #69

    No one is "ranking" free agency in the way you are ranking it. Yes the Patriots sign players but they arent restocking their team. Year in and year out the Browns are very active in free agency because they've been missing in the draft. You just put a whole lot of stock in your own personal opinion. I hope the steelers rank dead last every year in fa signings.

  • @tour2ma said:

    First... when I read "usually" it means majority of the time to me... that is why I disagreed. If you're meaning plurality, then I have little issue with that.

    I think the current Seattle team is an example of a team that has been forced to dip into FA because they were too successful developing players... and they have not even locked up their franchise QB as yet. Once they do that, they will see even more talent leave to get paid.

    Chip Kelly's approach is just strange, period... whether there's genius in his brand of oddity is TBD.

    Seattle hasn't really dipped into fa to replace players lost though, unless I'm really missing who they have signed. Graham was just a major upgrade and they did sign Rubin but they aren't going nuts. I'd say that's not a good example.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by Tour2ma
    #70

    @vagitron said:

    Seattle hasn't really dipped into fa to replace players lost though, unless I'm really missing who they have signed. Graham was just a major upgrade and they did sign Rubin but they aren't going nuts. I'd say that's not a good example.

    You're correct... 2015 has not yet been demonstrative of my point, but this FA season is not over.

    Look at Seattle's 2-year FA record though and get back to me...

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2014/seattle-seahawks/

  • No one is "ranking" free agency in the way you are ranking it. Yes the Patriots sign players but they arent restocking their team. Year in and year out the Browns are very active in free agency because they've been missing in the draft. You just put a whole lot of stock in your own personal opinion. I hope the steelers rank dead last every year in fa signings.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @vagitron said:

    No one is "ranking" free agency in the way you are ranking it.

    Hell yes, they do. Every outlet gives you their winners and losers. Have you missed that?

    Yes the Patriots sign players but they arent restocking their team.

    Yes, in a way, they do. They "restock" the players they lose in free agency. The exact same thing the Browns do.

    Year in and year out the Browns are very active in free agency because they've been missing in the draft.

    What would you have them do? Stick with Brandon Weeden, Trent Richardson...Brady Quinn. Would you just let them lose a Josh Gordon to suspension and not try to sign any WRs? Would you have them lose 2 DL and not try to replace them? Or a TE or whatever position they lose a good player at?

    The problem isn't being active in free agency....the problem is the "missing" on the draft picks.

    So, when a team misses on a draft pick your approach would be to do nothing?

    You just put a whole lot of stock in your own personal opinion.

    Yes.....and so should you....because my opinions are very reasoned and mostly accurate.

    I hope the steelers rank dead last every year in fa signings.

    And if so, they will probably end up being a young....poor team in the long run. Right now your team has been propped up because they have had a Hall of Fame QB, a HOF DC, and have hit on a few good offensive skill players.

    You have been LUCKY. Face it.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #72

    No action overnight...in fact I see only one FA transaction in the entire league in the last couple of days