Browns on Hard Knocks
-
Cleveland might not be as big as Houston but the fans are 10 times as passionate and the Browns are more historical than the Texans.
Houston is famous for rappers and sizzurp
I would expect the Browns to be more historical than a team that just became a teenager.
The Oilers...it's a little closer.
As for culture...Houston is the one of the few cities left with an active ballet and opera and symphony and theatre.
I would expect the Browns to be more historical than a team that just became a teenager.
The Oilers...it's a little closer.
As for culture...Houston is the one of the few cities left with an active ballet and opera and symphony and theatre.
Cleveland, I believe, did lose its opera to the recent recession. There is an active ballet:
http://www.clevelandballet.org/
And I don't need to tell you about the quality of the Cleveland Orchestra...probably one of the 5 best worldwide....and Playhouse Square:
"Playhouse Square, is the Cleveland Theater District in downtown Cleveland, Ohio,[2] the largest performing arts center in the United States outside of New York. (Only Lincoln Center inNew York City is larger.)[3] Constructed in a span of 19 months in the early 1920s, the theaters were subsequently closed down, but were revived through a grassroots effort. Their renovation and reopening helped usher in a new era of downtown revitalization in Cleveland, and was called "one of the top ten successes in Cleveland history"
This doesn't even count the Cleveland Playhouse, which isn't in Playhouse Square.
"Seven American orchestras were numbered among the world's top twenty in a 2008 critics' poll by Gramophone. They were, in rank order, the Chicago Symphony Orchestra (5th), the Cleveland Orchestra (7th), the Los Angeles Philharmonic (8th), the Boston Symphony Orchestra (11th), the New York Philharmonic (12th), the San Francisco Symphony (13th), and the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra (New York City) (18th).[18]"
-
True, but someone usually volunteers.
Houston seems interested. If they get it, then we can all watch Hoyer adjust to Big City life...
Despite Houston being a larger city, population wise than Cleveland, it is really no more of a "Big City". Cleveland has big city infrastructure, amenities, culture which Houston may only be catching up on.
I am not sure that is how you meant that comment....but that is how I ran with it.
Despite Houston being a larger city, population wise than Cleveland, it is really no more of a "Big City". Cleveland has big city infrastructure, amenities, culture which Houston may only be catching up on.
I am not sure that is how you meant that comment....but that is how I ran with it.
Size... Houston is huge... Cleveland is not.
Cleveland might not be as big as Houston but the fans are 10 times as passionate and the Browns are more historical than the Texans.
That's what you say today...
I've lived in LA, NYC, DC, Yokohama/Tokyo. Bigger sucks in my opinion. Give me less traffic and cheaper cost of living any day.
Amen to the traffic... Moved from Houston to a place where I can find a traffic jam if I look in the right place at the right time of day... and if you consider a "traffic jam" to include an intersection where it takes you two cycles to make it through.
Cost wise though Houston was far cheaper... and Lord... how I do miss its restaurants. Great city for foodies...
-
I wouldn't necessarily look to the rejection of liberal pipe dreams like light rail as a knock on a city's establishment as "big."
-
Despite Houston being a larger city, population wise than Cleveland, it is really no more of a "Big City". Cleveland has big city infrastructure, amenities, culture which Houston may only be catching up on.
I am not sure that is how you meant that comment....but that is how I ran with it.
Houston is a top-10 overall media market. Cleveland is 19th.
Houston is a top-10 television market. Cleveland is 17th.
Houston is 4th in population. Cleveland is 48th.
Cleveland is a little-big city. A city...but not really on the same level. It's like comparing Hoboken and NYC.
Houston is a top-10 overall media market. Cleveland is 19th.
Houston is a top-10 television market. Cleveland is 17th.
Houston is 4th in population. Cleveland is 48th.
Cleveland is a little-big city. A city...but not really on the same level. It's like comparing Hoboken and NYC.
Well, had to look it up- and you're right. Houston metro area is #5, Cleveland #29.
-
Despite Houston being a larger city, population wise than Cleveland, it is really no more of a "Big City". Cleveland has big city infrastructure, amenities, culture which Houston may only be catching up on.
I am not sure that is how you meant that comment....but that is how I ran with it.
Size... Houston is huge... Cleveland is not.
Cleveland might not be as big as Houston but the fans are 10 times as passionate and the Browns are more historical than the Texans.
That's what you say today...
I've lived in LA, NYC, DC, Yokohama/Tokyo. Bigger sucks in my opinion. Give me less traffic and cheaper cost of living any day.
Amen to the traffic... Moved from Houston to a place where I can find a traffic jam if I look in the right place at the right time of day... and if you consider a "traffic jam" to include an intersection where it takes you two cycles to make it through.
Cost wise though Houston was far cheaper... and Lord... how I do miss its restaurants. Great city for foodies...
Size... Houston is huge... Cleveland is not.
Houston's combined statistical area is ranked 9th nationwide, Cleveland's 15th
Houston is an overgrown mess.
-
Houston is a top-10 overall media market. Cleveland is 19th.
Houston is a top-10 television market. Cleveland is 17th.
Houston is 4th in population. Cleveland is 48th.
Cleveland is a little-big city. A city...but not really on the same level. It's like comparing Hoboken and NYC.
Well, had to look it up- and you're right. Houston metro area is #5, Cleveland #29.
Well, had to look it up- and you're right. Houston metro area is #5, Cleveland #29.
Not sure where you got those numbers. See my post above.
I agree though that back in the late 70s early 80s people thought Houston was going to become like the "new LA".
That never happened. Not too many people around think Houston is all that cool of a place to live.
Even in Texas...where my daughter lives. Of the major cities there, most would put Houston at best #3 behind Dallas and San Antonio in terms of desirability. Maybe even #4 behind Austin....in fact, no doubt as far as desirability it is behind those others.
Nationally...at least in my estimation both Houston and Dallas are way, way down the list of "desirable large cities". San Antone is way up.
-
Austin is supposed to be a nice place to retire. I've been thinking about Corpus Christi in year or two.
-
All I know is my trip to Cleveland was awesome. Sports nuts beer nuts and a guy gave me some Molly at 10am on game day.
WIN WIN WIN.
-
The construction boom combined with a weak national economy made Houston and attractive destination for semi or low skill workers. it seemed there was always a job as a laborer somewhere there. unlike Dallas which became a mecca for businesses and executives, Houston became A haven for transient workers.
WSS
-
Austin is supposed to be a nice place to retire. I've been thinking about Corpus Christi in year or two.
Austin is supposed to be a nice place to retire. I've been thinking about Corpus Christi in year or two.
Austin's traffic is now terrible. Worse than San Antonio. Austin has really grown too quickly for its breeches.
Twenty years ago it was a super cool...mid size college town. Now it too is becoming a mess. Probably not as bad as Houston. The area around Austin is much more interesting. Houston is basically a flat swamp.
-
The construction boom combined with a weak national economy made Houston and attractive destination for semi or low skill workers. it seemed there was always a job as a laborer somewhere there. unlike Dallas which became a mecca for businesses and executives, Houston became A haven for transient workers.
WSS
The construction boom combined with a weak national economy made Houston and attractive destination for semi or low skill workers. it seemed there was always a job as a laborer somewhere there. unlike Dallas which became a mecca for businesses and executives, Houston became A haven for transient workers.
WSS
That is true. I know that there were a few HS classmates of ours who fit that same bill. (did not go to college....went from school to work in a factory....jobs dried up here, they went to Houston)..think Sammy Tanner.
Of course, when the jobs dried up down there, they came back here to try to find work.
-
I wouldn't necessarily look to the rejection of liberal pipe dreams like light rail as a knock on a city's establishment as "big."
I wouldn't necessarily look to the rejection of liberal pipe dreams like light rail as a knock on a city's establishment as "big."
Then you can fucking walk to work.
-
Gip,
Why do you feel the need to act like you know Texas?
Its not a matter of knowing Texas, it is a matter of knowing what I like about a destination. There are parts of Texas I both like and don't care for as much. Except for a few things, both Houston and Dallas were completely bland in my opinion. San Antonio and Austin (if you eliminate the traffic) were not....they were very interesting. El Paso was, I don't know....a little too "third world" for my taste....though it had its attributes. I have been to Laredo/Brownsville/Corpus Christie, Waco, Big Bend. I am actually hoping to see some parts of Texas I have not been to....Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa/Midland, the Panhandle.
Hell, I may have seen more of Texas than you have in my travels. I have even been to Atlanta, Buffalo, Jacksonville....Texas.
Beyond that, if you were not paying attention, my daughter lives there (SA), my brother used to live there (Kerrville...except he left before JMZ was born), my sister in law lives there. I have pretty wide knowledge of the state.
-
Trust me... You haven't seen more and you don't know Texas.
Well, you know what Reagan said....trust, but verify.
Now verify how much of Texas you have seen.
....and like I said....it is not a matter of knowing it all that well, but of knowing what you like of what you have seen.
I have seen parts I don't care much for: Dallas/Houston....and a lot of parts I do: The Hill country (SA/Austin and beyond), and some of the western mountainous parts....Big Bend/Guadalupe.
(and honestly...overall I don't think it is that likeable of a state compared to others I have spent time in...but I probably will be having 2 trips there in about the next year....one this fall, one next May for graduation)
-
And tell me this if you know Tejas so well....I am thinking of taking a Texas road trip in November.....as I will probably be staying in SA for 2-3 days for a football game. From there I am thinking of driving up to Abilene, then to Wichita Falls, then up into OK for a stop, then back over to Lake Meredith, then to Amarillo and Lubbock, down to Odess/Midland/San Angelo before heading back to SA.
What recommendations/suggestions do you have?
-
Gip,
Why do you feel the need to act like you know Texas?
Its not a matter of knowing Texas, it is a matter of knowing what I like about a destination. There are parts of Texas I both like and don't care for as much. Except for a few things, both Houston and Dallas were completely bland in my opinion. San Antonio and Austin (if you eliminate the traffic) were not....they were very interesting. El Paso was, I don't know....a little too "third world" for my taste....though it had its attributes. I have been to Laredo/Brownsville/Corpus Christie, Waco, Big Bend. I am actually hoping to see some parts of Texas I have not been to....Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa/Midland, the Panhandle.
Hell, I may have seen more of Texas than you have in my travels. I have even been to Atlanta, Buffalo, Jacksonville....Texas.
Beyond that, if you were not paying attention, my daughter lives there (SA), my brother used to live there (Kerrville...except he left before JMZ was born), my sister in law lives there. I have pretty wide knowledge of the state.
Its not a matter of knowing Texas, it is a matter of knowing what I like about a destination. There are parts of Texas I both like and don't care for as much. Except for a few things, both Houston and Dallas were completely bland in my opinion. San Antonio and Austin (if you eliminate the traffic) were not....they were very interesting. El Paso was, I don't know....a little too "third world" for my taste....though it had its attributes. I have been to Laredo/Brownsville/Corpus Christie, Waco, Big Bend. I am actually hoping to see some parts of Texas I have not been to....Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa/Midland, the Panhandle.
Hell, I may have seen more of Texas than you have in my travels. I have even been to Atlanta, Buffalo, Jacksonville....Texas.
Beyond that, if you were not paying attention, my daughter lives there (SA), my brother used to live there (Kerrville...except he left before JMZ was born), my sister in law lives there. I have pretty wide knowledge of the state.
It doesn't matter what you like. We get it, you think Cleveland is the greatest city in the world. It's very apparent. However, to the rest of the world, Cleveland isn't as desirable.
You're throwing out personal opinions like they are some sort of fact.
"Not too many people around think Houston is all that cool of a place to live." "Of the major cities there, most would put Houston at best #3 behind Dallas and San Antonio in terms of desirability" "both Houston and Dallas were completely bland in my opinion."
That's cool that you don't like Houston. Completely acceptable that you have an opinion.
However, Houston IS (much) bigger than Cleveland. Houston IS a (much) bigger media market than Cleveland. Houston was the first city to regain all (and more) of the jobs that it lost during the recession and it IS now the #1 job creating city in America. Houston DOES have the highest percentage of young, college educated kids moving to the city. Houston IS one of the leading cities in America in the energy sector. Houston DOES have the highest average pay in the country (adjusted for cost of living). Houston IS regarded as having some of the finest cuisine in the nation. Houston DID make this list of the top 15 cities for 2015 (Cleveland did not). Houston DID make this list for top 20 coolest cities in 2014 (Cleveland did not). Houston IS America's fastest growing city.
None of those are opinions. Those are facts. Houston blows Cleveland out of the water when it comes to size and desirability.
But Cleveland has a light rail.
-
Its not a matter of knowing Texas, it is a matter of knowing what I like about a destination. There are parts of Texas I both like and don't care for as much. Except for a few things, both Houston and Dallas were completely bland in my opinion. San Antonio and Austin (if you eliminate the traffic) were not....they were very interesting. El Paso was, I don't know....a little too "third world" for my taste....though it had its attributes. I have been to Laredo/Brownsville/Corpus Christie, Waco, Big Bend. I am actually hoping to see some parts of Texas I have not been to....Amarillo, Lubbock, Odessa/Midland, the Panhandle.
Hell, I may have seen more of Texas than you have in my travels. I have even been to Atlanta, Buffalo, Jacksonville....Texas.
Beyond that, if you were not paying attention, my daughter lives there (SA), my brother used to live there (Kerrville...except he left before JMZ was born), my sister in law lives there. I have pretty wide knowledge of the state.
It doesn't matter what you like. We get it, you think Cleveland is the greatest city in the world. It's very apparent. However, to the rest of the world, Cleveland isn't as desirable.
You're throwing out personal opinions like they are some sort of fact.
"Not too many people around think Houston is all that cool of a place to live." "Of the major cities there, most would put Houston at best #3 behind Dallas and San Antonio in terms of desirability" "both Houston and Dallas were completely bland in my opinion."
That's cool that you don't like Houston. Completely acceptable that you have an opinion.
However, Houston IS (much) bigger than Cleveland. Houston IS a (much) bigger media market than Cleveland. Houston was the first city to regain all (and more) of the jobs that it lost during the recession and it IS now the #1 job creating city in America. Houston DOES have the highest percentage of young, college educated kids moving to the city. Houston IS one of the leading cities in America in the energy sector. Houston DOES have the highest average pay in the country (adjusted for cost of living). Houston IS regarded as having some of the finest cuisine in the nation. Houston DID make this list of the top 15 cities for 2015 (Cleveland did not). Houston DID make this list for top 20 coolest cities in 2014 (Cleveland did not). Houston IS America's fastest growing city.
None of those are opinions. Those are facts. Houston blows Cleveland out of the water when it comes to size and desirability.
But Cleveland has a light rail.
It doesn't matter what you like. We get it, you think Cleveland is the greatest city in the world. It's very apparent. However, to the rest of the world, Cleveland isn't as desirable.
You're throwing out personal opinions like they are some sort of fact.
I don't think so....I said, basically that Houston is bland...that is does not have that much to attract me to it. I guess it IS a FACT that that is my opinion...if facts is what you want.
That's cool that you don't like Houston. Completely acceptable that you have an opinion.
However, Houston IS (much) bigger than Cleveland. Houston IS a (much) bigger media market than Cleveland. Houston was the first city to regain all (and more) of the jobs that it lost during the recession and it IS now the #1 job creating city in America. Houston DOES have the highest percentage of young, college educated kids moving to the city. Houston IS one of the leading cities in America in the energy sector. Houston DOES have the highest average pay in the country (adjusted for cost of living). Houston IS regarded as having some of the finest cuisine in the nation. Houston DID make this list of the top 15 cities for 2015 (Cleveland did not). Houston DID make this list for top 20 coolest cities in 2014 (Cleveland did not). Houston IS America's fastest growing city.
It has a lot of people and is getting bigger and it is keeping its job.
Beyond the fact tht it has some good restaurants.....what is it about that that is supposed to attract me to it?
Do you think I need to go there to get a job?
Perhaps my daughter needs to know all that...she will be looking for a job in Texas when she graduates.
It is by no means the coolest city....it is hot swampy and muggy there.

Anyone can make a list.....My Gipper's list is every bit as authoritative as anything you have links to. I have a thread of that nature in the Barber Shop. Maybe I can post a link to it.....and be considered an expert in the area.
In fact...I AM an expert. I have been to every state...48 of them twice or more over (Alaska/S.Dak.).....and of the 125 largest cities in these United States I have been to all but 4 of them: Lubbock, Boise, Spokane, and Amarillo. And if you note I want to try to visit Lubbock and Amarillo this year....in order to increase my knowlege.
None of those are opinions. Those are facts. Houston blows Cleveland out of the water when it comes to size and desirability.
Size, yes, desirability....no. Depends on what you desire. But those lists of what is cool ARE opinions.
But Cleveland has a light rail.
Which is, in fact, a factor that makes a city desirable. Anyone I know makes ease of transportation a factor in what they like. How big of a factor is a matter of personal opinion...but it is a factor.
Edit....another question.....how did you become the self appointed defender of Houston Texas. Don't you live in like Charlotte or somewhere?
-
Here is one link:
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login